Start by marking “A Colder Kind of Death (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #4)” as Want to Read:
A Colder Kind of Death (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #4)

A Colder Kind of Death (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #4)

When a prisoner is shot to death in the exercise yard of a Saskatchewan penitentiary, Joanne Kilbourn finds herself haunted by a part of her past she wished had never happened. The dead prisoner is Kevin Tarpley, the man who six years earlier had brutally killed her politician husband, Ian, in a seemingly senseless act alongside the TransCanada Highway.

The haunting takes
Published September 2nd 1995 by McClelland & Stewart (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about A Colder Kind of Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Colder Kind of Death

Susan
Dec 21, 2016 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Colder Kind of Death by Gail Bowen Note: While this is Book 4 in the series, it works mostly well as a stand alone. There are definitely some character backstories that I was a bit muddled on, but in regards to the main plot, they dd not matter.
Susan
Note: While this is Book 4 in the series, it works mostly well as a stand alone. There are definitely some character backstories that I was a bit muddled on, but in regards to the main plot, they dd not matter.

Set in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada, Joanne Kilbourn is a parent, a professor, a TV panelist, and a widow. Now her past comes back to her with the news that Kevin Tarpley, the man who killed her husband, Ian, six years ago, was shot to death in the exercise yard of a Saskatchewan prison. O
Helen
Didn't get anything done this morning because I was finishing this. I should know better.
I've read two others of MS Bowen's books but it was a while ago and this was like starting over. Her series is set in a fictional Saskatchewan in the recent past. (Saskatchewan did have a Ukrainian premier but his name was Romanow, not Dowhanuik.) Joanne Kilbourn, Bowen's 'reluctant sleuth', is a widow with three mostly grown children of her own and a 6 year old girl she adopted as a result of events in an e
Nathan Burgoine
Mar 19, 2012 Nathan Burgoine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"A Colder Kind of Death," takes to Joanne's past, and the death of her husband, Ian, an event that happened even before the time frame of the first book. By this Kilbourn mystery, Bowen's writing is at a great pace, the style is superb, and the mysteries are confounding and clever. It's Joanne that makes the stories shine, however - a woman "of a certain age" who hasn't stopped being alive, who is intelligent and emotionally real. When she brushes up against something that might sour the memory ...more
Sheila
Aug 23, 2016 Sheila rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The fourth book in the series by This author. When university professor, Joanne Kilbourn learns the man convicted of killing her husband six years prior has been murdered in prison she is surprised but strangely relieved. But then she receives a letter in the mail from him just prior to his death. Then, his wife, Maureen, shows up with a strange threat. There is more to the story. Within a couple of days, Maureen is found dead, strangled with Joanne's scarf. Joanne realizes there is a connection ...more
Therese B
Mar 13, 2016 Therese B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This author, Gail Bowen, was recommended to me at the April meeting of the Mystery Lovers Book Club. It is good reading and well written. I would definitely look to read more by this author. The story is set in NOrthern Canada and the mystery devlopes with the death of Joanne Kilbourn's husband. He was killed six years previouly but things happen to make Joanne think he might have been unfaithful and not the man she loved. The characters are Canadian Politicians.
David W.
I have to admit that one of the reasons that I like these books and rate them as I do is that I feel that I am part of the process. One book follows the other in the life of the main character - Joanne. Not only do you get an interesting mystery but you find out who Joanne is dating, how her kids are doing etc. This is not great literature but has captured me. I am reading the books in order so that I can also experience the chronological order of the books.
Sherry
Aug 27, 2010 Sherry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gail Bowen has become one of my favorite authors. She is Canadian and her books take place in Saskatchewan. This is the 4th of her books that I've read and I have a feel of this location which I have never visited. The mystery was well written and fast moving. I recommend her books to mystery lovers who like a little more than a cozy read.
Peter
Aug 02, 2009 Peter rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, canadiana
Gail Bowen is a Saskatchewan Writer who has carved out a quiet series of mysteries set in that very flat province involving a 40 something female sleuth who is as absorbed with domestic issues as she is with solving crime.
Bill
Oct 28, 2010 Bill rated it liked it
Canadian mystery series, with Joanne Kilbourn as the main character. It was also a well crafted Canadian series of movies, with Wendy Crewson (perfect as Joanne) and Victor Garber as her police officer friend. Set in Saskatchewan, covering provincial politics and scandals.. neat series.
MrsBlackmore
Number 43 a book that takes place in your home town. It was cool to read a book that takes place in Regina. :)
Joanne
Debbie
Dec 19, 2011 Debbie rated it liked it
My favourite so far of Gail Bowen's Joanne Kilbourn mysteries. Tells the back story of Joanne's late husband's murder. Good story, fast paced and I love the Saskatchewan setting.
Polly
Nov 02, 2011 Polly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Polly by: Paige
Shelves: mystery, fiction
Not sure I'll be rushing out to read more, but it's a decent mystery, and even things set in parts of Canada I've never set foot in makes me feel at home.
Dianne
Dianne rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2014
Paula
Paula rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2012
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2013
Mary Kay  Kare
Mary Kay Kare rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2013
Jen Howie
Jen Howie rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2014
Hamish O'grady
Hamish O'grady rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2013
Sophie Petersen
Sophie Petersen rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2013
Charlotte
Charlotte rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2013
Darlene Lane
Darlene Lane rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2009
Joanne Corbett
Joanne Corbett rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2011
Karla
Karla rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2012
Karen Whitelock
Karen Whitelock rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2013
Lois
Lois rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2012
Beth Mills
Beth Mills rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2012
Lianne Smith
Lianne Smith rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2010
Deborah
Deborah rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
2015 Reading Chal...: A Colder Kind Of Death By Gail Bowen 2 13 Aug 17, 2015 07:21AM
  • The Wild Beasts of Wuhan (Ava Lee, #3)
  • Sisters In The Wilderness: The Lives Of Susanna Moodie And Catharine Parr Traill
  • Until the Night (John Cardinal and Lise Delorme Mystery, #6)
  • The Ravine
  • The Edge of Doom (A Kate Fansler Mystery #14)
  • The Tomorrow-Tamer
  • The Poisoned Pawn (Inspector Ramírez, #2)
  • The Backwoods of Canada
  • Among the Departed (Constable Molly Smith #5)
  • Wild Geese (New Canadian Library)
  • Vices of My Blood (Detective Murdoch, #6)
  • Born with a Tooth
  • The Dionne Years: A Thirties Melodrama
  • Norman Bray, In the Performance of His Life
  • True Witness (Brodie Farrell, #2)
  • Flight of Aquavit (A Russell Quant Mystery, #2)
Gail Dianne Bowen (née Bartholomew) is a Canadian playwright and writer of mystery novels. Born in Toronto, Ontario, Bowen was educated at the University of Toronto, the University of Waterloo and the University of Saskatchewan. She subsequently taught English in Saskatchewan, and is currently a professor of English at First Nations University of Canada. Bowen's mystery novels feature Joanne Kilbo ...more
More about Gail Bowen...

A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Deadly Appearances (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #1)
  • Murder at the Mendel (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #2)
  • The Wandering Soul Murders (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #3)
  • A Killing Spring (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #5)
  • Verdict in Blood (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #6)
  • Burying Ariel (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #7)
  • The Glass Coffin (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #8)
  • The Last Good Day (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #9)
  • The Endless Knot (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #10)
  • The Brutal Heart (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #11)