Start by marking “Master and Man and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Master and Man and Oth...

Leo Tolstoy

Master and Man and Other Stories

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  247 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Master and man --
How much land does a man require --
That whereby men live --
Elias --
Children may be wiser than their elders --
Labour, death, and disease --
The grain that was like an egg --
Where love is, there God is also --
The two old men --
The three old men --
God sees the right, though He be slow to declare it --
How the little devil atoned for the crust of bread --
The pen
Published February 4th 1972 by Dutton Books (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about Master and Man and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Master and Man and Other Stories

Tolstoy: *check*

On to you Turgenev!
Filipe
Sep 01, 2013 Filipe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off, as far as I've noticed, the Penguim Classics edition (english ed.) has about 10 stories, while my edition (portuguese-BR) has only 3 (Master and Man; God sees the truth but waits; A prisoner of the Caucasus). Don't know why, but.... About the stories included in "my" edition: "Master and man" is by far my favorite, reminds me a bit of a story (I can't recall the name...) included in Chekhov's "The lady with the little dog" ; the other 2 stories: the development was really really good ...more
Adobe
May 25, 2015 Adobe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of three short stories (or novels?): "Father Sergius" follows a monk reaching for grace despite self-conscious pride in his virtues; "Master and Man" is about a lost landowner, his peasant, and the long, lethal winter night they spend in the countryside together; and "Hadji Murat" examines the many players at one point in Russia's long campaign to conquer the Caucasus.

"Father Sergius" and "Master and Man" are both overtly didactic (hubris and self-absorption are punished; mercy and
Carolina
Sep 03, 2013 Carolina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just wish the brazilian edition was longer! Anyway, the 3 stories are very good and so worth reading.Master and Man was my favorite; I felt like I was there with the characters, in the middle of the snow storm. Also, the way Tolstoy concludes the story is very interesting; Id never imagine a man like Vasili Andreevich doing what he did.The social interactions between master and man are very well described in this story, I think.
To me it was a really interesting introduction to Tolstoys bibliog
Insidebooks
Feb 02, 2011 Insidebooks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Where Tolstoy is in a league of his own is describing the life of peasants toiling in the hard Russian landscape and writing historical stories set against a landscape of events he describes with great accuracy.

In this collection of three stories, two short and one the length of a novella, his ability to paint a world that is so vivid despite being distant in the past and for me geographically is testament to his writing.

The longest story, Hadji Murat, is set against the background of Russian ca
Gerry LaFemina
Jun 17, 2014 Gerry LaFemina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tolstoy's ability to bring an entire world to life in a short story is amazing, and the dignity of the prose is top notch. These are late stories, chock full of the questions about morality, religion, and duty in the best sense.
Paulo Jan brasil
No words to express how wonderful are those histories! Especially for me , not used to snowy landscapes. Very emotional! Tolstoi describe those extreme situations at an unique way.
Jacob Bentley
Jul 24, 2007 Jacob Bentley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's funny to me that "Master and Man" is the title story of this collection, because I like it the least. (The ending feels a bit contrived.) I really enjoyed "Father Sergius," though: further proof that Christian spirituality is nuttier than squirrel shit. "Hadji Murat" blew me away: it's so different from the first two stories, and it showcases an impressive spectrum of characters for the length of the story. Strangely, this is my first encounter with Tolstoy, and it wasn't a bad one by any m ...more
Lorraine
Feb 05, 2015 Lorraine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ok he obviously likes horses and thinks women are a bit shite right -- and has weird notions about what a man should be like
Jane Wilson-Howarth
While much of the descriptive passages are exquisite, the scenes exotic and social history interesting, I gave up half way through this collection of short prose as I became bored with the preaching. I guess that in a way, it is encouraging for me as a writer to see that even the great authors were not always perfect. It is also a lesson that telling a good story is always the most important thing in writing: if you have an axe to grind, it must be done subtly otherwise the audience drifts away. ...more
Hansen Wendlandt
The title story is definitely worth a read. A few others are interesting, un-vieled Christian allegories. The fairy tales miss out on Tolstoy's usual brilliance at character development, but The Godson and How Much Land Does A Man Require? are clever. Good line in The Raid: "Everything evil in the heart of man ought, one would think, to vanish in contact with Nature, in which beauty and goodness find their most direct expression."
Edward
Chronology
Introduction & Notes
Further Reading

--Two Hussars
--Strider
--God Sees the Truth but Waits (A Fable)
--A Prisoner of the Caucasus
--What Men Live By
--Neglect a Spark and the House Burns Down
--The Two Old Men
--The Three Hermits
--How Much Land Does a Man Need?
--Master and Man

Publishing History and Notes
Djuna
Mar 09, 2008 Djuna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Eh, this book dragged on and on. The first few stories were fun because they were so different for me, different terminology and approach (I haven't read many russian authors, so I don't know if it's unique to Tolstoy or not). The last few stories were really boring religious fables, with obvious plots and characters, so I was disappointed.
Greg
Sep 03, 2009 Greg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are several collections of short stories from Tolstoy bearing this title.
The one I read contains:
Father Sergius, Master and Man, and Hadji Murat.
Hadji Murat far surpasses the other two titles, and contains the standard alarmingly real illustration of the futility of heroes in the conventional sense.
Suellen Rubira
Jan 14, 2012 Suellen Rubira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The most relevant core of these three stories is the social relationship in a way that you have to learn how to deal with your peers. The last short story, in portuguese "Deus vê a verdade, mas custa a revelar", makes us think about justice and how this process of justice happens.
Lisa
Jan 16, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Master and Man and Father Sergius much more than I enjoyed Hadji Murat. Had the book stopped after Master and Man and Father Sergius, I would have given it 5 stars. This is why you don't publish a novella before the author gets a chance to finish editing it.
Giannis Karageorgos
Σίγουρα δεν μπορώ να βάλω λιγότερο από πέντε αστέρια γιατί η τεχνική της γραφής είναι, τουλάχιστον στα μάτια μου, άρτια! Το διάβασα πολύ ευχάριστα! Είναι από τα βιβλία που νιώθω χαρά που έχουν πέσει στα χέρια μου!!
Dan
Jul 24, 2011 Dan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this collection was a mixed bag. Master and Man and Father Sergius seemed rather heavy handed and contrived to me. Hadji Murat on the other hand was quite enjoyable.
Carol
Oct 08, 2011 Carol marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I read Father Sergius, Master and Man in this collection of short stories, both of which are beautiful stories. I lost interest in Hadji Murat, however.
lysa
Nov 29, 2007 lysa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
its like reading the bible, swapping the 'holy land' for wintery russia...and i'd rather read the bible.

Ero
Dec 01, 2010 Ero rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Includes Father Sergius, Master and Man and Hadji Murat. All three are shatteringly, heartbreakingly great.
Soo Kyung
Jul 09, 2009 Soo Kyung rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This book contains many of my favorite short stories by Tolstoy including "What Men Live By".
Cid Medeiros
Uma breve inscurssão na vida da Russia camponesa do século XIX.
Lysergius
A good introduction to Tolstoy. Colourful and vivid.
Donna
Apr 18, 2013 Donna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes I was into it, and sometimes I wasn't
Eleanor Black
Jul 08, 2012 Eleanor Black rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful!
Andrew
Nov 23, 2009 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shortstories, russian
Great parables.
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Mark Barlow
Mark Barlow marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
  • Stories from a Siberian Village
  • The Overcoat and Other Tales of Good and Evil
  • Pushkin House
  • Russian Short Stories from Pushkin to Buida (Penguin Classics)
  • Ice Trilogy
  • The Road: Stories, Journalism, and Essays
  • The Time: Night
  • Today I Wrote Nothing: The Selected Writings
  • Twenty-Six Men and a Girl and Other Stories
Lev Nikolayevich Tolstoy (Russian: Лев Николаевич Толстой; commonly Leo Tolstoy in Anglophone countries) was a Russian writer who primarily wrote novels and short stories. Later in life, he also wrote plays and essays. His two most famous works, the novels War and Peace and Anna Karenina, are acknowledged as two of the greatest novels of all time and a pinnacle of realist fiction. Many consider To ...more
More about Leo Tolstoy...