Start by marking “Sustainability by Design: A Subversive Strategy for Transforming Our Consumer Culture” as Want to Read:

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  40 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
The developed world, increasingly aware of “inconvenient truths” about global warming and sustainability, is turning its attention to possible remedies—eco-efficiency, sustainable development, and corporate social responsibility, among others. But such measures are mere Band-Aids, and they may actually do more harm than good, says John Ehrenfeld, a pioneer in the field of ...more
Published September 23rd 2008 by Yale University Press (first published September 15th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Sustainability by Design, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sustainability by Design

John
Nov 27, 2009 John rated it liked it
I tried hard to like this book. I largely agree with the author's feelings and beliefs about sustainability. He is obviously very intelligent and thought a lot about the subject. The tone the author uses to address his audience is an interesting mix of academic and conversational, which generally feels sloppy, but is also sometimes refreshing when his passion comes through.

My general complaint is there are way too few examples of what he actually means when he talks about "sustainable design". H
Paul Brooks
Mar 05, 2015 Paul Brooks rated it it was amazing
Great look at sustainability without focusing on the ecological sustainability that we are so familliar with. an all encompasing and brilliant whole systems look at our future.
Litbitch
Jun 24, 2012 Litbitch rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
There is some good analysis in here, and a nice theory of suggestions, if few practical ones. At times it was too squishy and emotional for me, but my biggest problem with the book is that his solutions do not rise to his understanding of the fundamental social and economic resistance to change. Our priorities are wrong, our social structure is destructive, and our economic practices are amoral at best, so ... we should design products that make us stop and think for a second before we use them? ...more
Duncan Noble
Nov 03, 2014 Duncan Noble rated it really liked it
Shelves:
If you're looking for a book to reassure you that the transition to a sustainable world will be easy, keep on looking. This book argues that we need to make fundamental changes in the way we see ourselves and our relation to others and to nature. Not an easy read. Probably the deepest dive into the root causes of unsustainability that I have read. Ehrenfeld draws from many disciplines and that is his genius.

This book made me think a lot. And made me question many things. I was already headed in
Troy
Sep 22, 2011 Troy rated it liked it
This is a great book, though in my opinion Ehrenfeld takes his analysis a little too far to the philosophical side at times, to be palatable to the lay reader. This works against the powerful message of his book as he will likely be dismissed as the stereotypical tree-hugging, granola-eating leftie often associated with the field. That said, I think such philosophical considerations are certainly necessary to fully understand the idea or principle of sustainability, and I came away from this rea ...more
Kannan
Sep 21, 2012 Kannan rated it really liked it
Shelves: sustainability
This was a difficult read and the longest I took to read 200-odd pages. But I guess scholars and academicians have the license to indulge and be abstract. This book will make you work and you may have to transcend levels to follow the author's thought process.

The author makes a compelling, logical case for the need for a holistic approach to sustainability.

It was totally worth it, and I have become a fan of the author and follow his blog at johnerhenfeld.com
Alexander Tomes
Sep 02, 2012 Alexander Tomes rated it really liked it
This was the very first book I read as I was beginning my adventures as an environmental scientist. I will say, it sparks a large amount of interest in me as I pursued many projects on sustainability. It's a great read. Very readable (I was a freshman in undergrad).
Carolyn
Jun 29, 2012 Carolyn rated it liked it
A bit repetitive and abstract, but an introduction of sorts.
Karina
Karina marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Kev C
Kev C rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2016
Theresa
Theresa is currently reading it
Mar 03, 2016
Hawkgirl
Hawkgirl marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Erin Shamley
Erin Shamley marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
James Rink
James Rink rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it it was ok
Dec 29, 2015
Simon Remmi
Simon Remmi marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2015
Darshan
Darshan marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Jemaris
Jemaris marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Trinity
Trinity marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Sarahk
Sarahk marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Lorrie
Lorrie is currently reading it
Jun 08, 2015
Heather Aaron
Heather Aaron rated it liked it
May 31, 2015
Adamas
Adamas added it
Nov 05, 2015
Cy Siu
Cy Siu rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2015
John
John rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2015
Megan
Megan rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2015
Gretchen Fairley
Gretchen Fairley marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

“the possibility that human and other life will flourish on the planet forever.” 0 likes