Start by marking “Mental Floss: Cocktail Party Cheat Sheets” as Want to Read:
Mental Floss: Cocktail Party Cheat Sheets

Mental Floss: Cocktail Party Cheat Sheets

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Friends? Romans? Countrymen?
You never know whom you'll have to impress
at your next corporate shindig or keg party.

Whatever the target audience, mental_floss knows staring facedown into the punch bowl isn't the trick. In fact, that's exactly why we're handing you Cocktail Party Cheat Sheets—a totally effective, foolproof guide to starting and sustaining conversations on eve
Published May 30th 2006 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Mental Floss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mental Floss

Ali
Really liked the random information that they gave and it was funny the ways they came up with to use it in conversation.
Lisa Schmeiser
I can appreciate the niche Mental Floss has carved out for itself -- enthusiastic, informal primers to what used to be considered cultural capital -- but every time I read a Mental Floss book, I can't help thinking that AN INCOMPLETE EDUCATION (Judy Jones & William Wison) did it first and did it better.

Still, if you're looking for a factotum you can pick and put down as the spirit moves you, you could do worse than this book.
Linda
My friend Maddy gave this book to me for Christmas 2006. I have been perusing it ever since. It's fun, funny, clever and succinct. For a about a month, I was in the habit of reading one subject per day right before bed-time. I figured it would sink in overnight. So far I'm no more clever at social gatherings than I once was...but I still feel a little bit smarter and very much entertained.
Matt
I got this in the $2.99 bargain bin at Borders and at that price I bought some trivial facts and information about a variety of things.

-Could I have found most of this ouut with Wikipedia? Probably.

- Useless? maybe.

- Fun to browse through and read Absolutely.
Leslie
Lots of mental entertainment and a little new knowledge at the same time! From Joan of Arc to Catherine the Great to Buddha to the Koran...you'll learn all sorts of stuff to impress your friends and facinate them with all the useful and not so useful trivia. Fun!
Natasha
This was a pretty awesome book, all things told. Didn't give me a lot of facts or history, but it certainly made me very curious. Five stars, if only because I couldn't keep the grin off my face.
Angeld01
The cliff notes version of everything you need to know. I cannot stop loving mental floss. If you find facts and historical details interesting...mental floss is a must have.
Jessamine
The only reason why I didn't finish the book was I couldn't renew it again from the library. I love mental_floss, and this book was chock full of mental nuggets.
William
What I learned from this book: Martini and Kama Sutra.
Funny way to know about useless stuff.

Recommended to those who like to learn with every situation.
Allanna
Another great little reference guide.

Very fun ... especially since I'm used to John Green's voice, so I hear it in my head as I read.
Casey
Great little trivia book to keep in my purse.
Mike
Jun 10, 2013 Mike rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: light
I love mental_floss.
Annabelle Collins
Annabelle Collins marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Aynge
Aynge marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Bethany Nelson
Bethany Nelson marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Maja
Maja marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Rieke
Rieke marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Sofia Vaz
Sofia Vaz marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Jenn B
Jenn B marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Helena Throndsen
Helena Throndsen marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Amanda Bracken
Amanda Bracken marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Anjelica
Anjelica marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Mary Ashley
Mary Ashley marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
James Kubecki
James Kubecki marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Craig
Craig marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
  • Mental Floss Presents Forbidden Knowledge: A Wickedly Smart Guide to History's Naughtiest Bits (Mental Floss Presents)
  • You Did What?: Mad Plans and Great Historical Disasters
  • Ken Jennings's Trivia Almanac: 8,888 Questions in 365 Days
  • Under the Covers and between the Sheets: Facts and Trivia about the World's Greatest Books
  • Fact. Fact. Bullsh*t!: Learn the Truth and Spot the Lie on Everything from Tequila-Made Diamonds to Tetris's Soviet Roots - Plus Tons of Other Totally Random Facts from Science, History and Beyond!
  • The World's Greatest Book of Useless Information: If You Thought You Knew All the Things You Didn't Need to Know - Think Again
  • Listverse.com's Ultimate Book of Bizarre Lists: Fascinating Facts and Shocking Trivia on Movies, Music, Crime, Celebrities, History, and More
  • When Do Fish Sleep? : An Imponderables' Book
  • The Executioner Always Chops Twice: Ghastly Blunders on the Scaffold
  • Book of Secrets
  • The Mental Floss History of the World: An Irreverent Romp through Civilization's Best Bits
  • Encyclopedia of the Exquisite: An Anecdotal History of Elegant Delights
  • Brain Candy: Science, Paradoxes, Puzzles, Logic, and Illogic to Nourish Your Neurons
  • The People's Almanac Presents the Book of Lists
  • How Do They Do That?
  • An Underground Education: The Unauthorized and Outrageous Supplement to Everything You Thought You Knew About Art, Sex, Business, Crime, Science, Medicine, and Other Fields of Human Knowledge
  • Curious Folks Ask: 162 Real Answers on Amazing Inventions, Fascinating Products, and Medical Mysteries
  • 1,001 Facts That Will Scare the S#*t Out of You: The Ultimate Bathroom Reader
Mental Floss (also credited as mental_floss) is a trivia and humor magazine.

mental_floss is a bi-monthly American magazine, launched in 2001 in Birmingham, Alabama, that presents facts and trivia in a humorous way. MentalFloss.com is also host to a popular blog, which contains additional trivia, features, and interesting news articles.
More about Mental Floss...
mental floss presents Instant Knowledge (Collins Gem) Mental Floss presents In the Beginning: From Big Hair to the Big Bang, mental_floss presents a Mouthwatering Guide to the Origins of Everything Mental Floss: Scatterbrained Mental Floss: Genius Instruction Manual Mental Floss: What's the Difference?