Start by marking “Mental Floss: Cocktail Party Cheat Sheets” as Want to Read:
Mental Floss: Cocktail Party Cheat Sheets

Mental Floss: Cocktail Party Cheat Sheets

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  140 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Friends? Romans? Countrymen?
You never know whom you'll have to impress
at your next corporate shindig or keg party.

Whatever the target audience, mental_floss knows staring facedown into the punch bowl isn't the trick. In fact, that's exactly why we're handing you Cocktail Party Cheat Sheets—a totally effective, foolproof guide to starting and sustaining conversations on ev
Published May 30th 2006 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Mental Floss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mental Floss

Emmy
Apr 24, 2015 Emmy rated it really liked it
I always joke that I read so much so that I'll be interesting at cocktail parties. And now, after reading this wonderful little book, I am confident that I will be! Thank you, Mental_Floss!!
Ali
Dec 05, 2014 Ali rated it really liked it
Really liked the random information that they gave and it was funny the ways they came up with to use it in conversation.
Lisa Schmeiser
Apr 13, 2013 Lisa Schmeiser rated it liked it
I can appreciate the niche Mental Floss has carved out for itself -- enthusiastic, informal primers to what used to be considered cultural capital -- but every time I read a Mental Floss book, I can't help thinking that AN INCOMPLETE EDUCATION (Judy Jones & William Wison) did it first and did it better.

Still, if you're looking for a factotum you can pick and put down as the spirit moves you, you could do worse than this book.
Linda
Jul 08, 2007 Linda rated it really liked it
Shelves: at-hand
My friend Maddy gave this book to me for Christmas 2006. I have been perusing it ever since. It's fun, funny, clever and succinct. For a about a month, I was in the habit of reading one subject per day right before bed-time. I figured it would sink in overnight. So far I'm no more clever at social gatherings than I once was...but I still feel a little bit smarter and very much entertained.
Matt
Oct 19, 2008 Matt rated it liked it
I got this in the $2.99 bargain bin at Borders and at that price I bought some trivial facts and information about a variety of things.

-Could I have found most of this ouut with Wikipedia? Probably.

- Useless? maybe.

- Fun to browse through and read Absolutely.
Leslie
Jan 08, 2008 Leslie rated it liked it
Lots of mental entertainment and a little new knowledge at the same time! From Joan of Arc to Catherine the Great to Buddha to the Koran...you'll learn all sorts of stuff to impress your friends and facinate them with all the useful and not so useful trivia. Fun!
Natasha
Jul 11, 2016 Natasha rated it it was amazing
This was a pretty awesome book, all things told. Didn't give me a lot of facts or history, but it certainly made me very curious. Five stars, if only because I couldn't keep the grin off my face.
Angeld01
Jan 25, 2009 Angeld01 rated it it was amazing
The cliff notes version of everything you need to know. I cannot stop loving mental floss. If you find facts and historical details interesting...mental floss is a must have.
Jessamine
Aug 08, 2008 Jessamine rated it really liked it
The only reason why I didn't finish the book was I couldn't renew it again from the library. I love mental_floss, and this book was chock full of mental nuggets.
William
Jan 09, 2010 William rated it liked it
Shelves: portuguese
What I learned from this book: Martini and Kama Sutra.
Funny way to know about useless stuff.

Recommended to those who like to learn with every situation.
Allanna
Dec 10, 2008 Allanna rated it really liked it
Another great little reference guide.

Very fun ... especially since I'm used to John Green's voice, so I hear it in my head as I read.
Casey
Aug 25, 2011 Casey rated it really liked it
Great little trivia book to keep in my purse.
Mike
Jun 10, 2013 Mike rated it it was amazing
Shelves: light
I love mental_floss.
Stacy
Stacy rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Susan Sheffield
Susan Sheffield marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Varun
Varun marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Hillary Marek
Hillary Marek rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2016
Erin
Erin added it
Jul 08, 2016
Iris
Iris marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Kai Sullivan
Kai Sullivan rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2016
Tehila
Tehila marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Seraphim
Seraphim marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Forest Fredrickson
Forest Fredrickson marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Meredith Stills
Meredith Stills marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Alain
Alain added it
Jun 04, 2016
Terri FL
Terri FL marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Randy Micek
Randy Micek marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
  • Mental Floss: What's the Difference?
  • Mental Floss Presents Forbidden Knowledge: A Wickedly Smart Guide to History's Naughtiest Bits (Mental Floss Presents)
  • Mental Floss Presents Be Amazing: Glow in the Dark, Control the Weather, Perform Your Own Surgery, Get Out of Jury Duty, Identify a Witch, Colonize a Nation, ... Girl, Make a Zombie, Start Your Own Religion
  • Ken Jennings's Trivia Almanac: 8,888 Questions in 365 Days
  • You Did What?: Mad Plans and Great Historical Disasters
  • The Utterly, Completely, And Totally Useless Fact-o-pedia
  • The Ultimate Book of Top Ten Lists: A Mind-Boggling Collection of Fun, Fascinating and Bizarre Facts on Movies, Music, Sports, Crime, Celebrities, History, Trivia and More
  • Listverse.com's Ultimate Book of Bizarre Lists: Fascinating Facts and Shocking Trivia on Movies, Music, Crime, Celebrities, History, and More
  • The World's Greatest Book of Useless Information: If You Thought You Knew All the Things You Didn't Need to Know - Think Again
  • Fact. Fact. Bullsh*t!: Learn the Truth and Spot the Lie on Everything from Tequila-Made Diamonds to Tetris's Soviet Roots - Plus Tons of Other Totally Random Facts from Science, History and Beyond!
  • The Executioner Always Chops Twice: Ghastly Blunders on the Scaffold
  • When Do Fish Sleep? : An Imponderables' Book
  • All my best friends
  • Under the Covers and between the Sheets: Facts and Trivia about the World's Greatest Books
  • The People's Almanac Presents the Book of Lists
  • The Mental Floss History of the United States: The (Almost) Complete and (Entirely) Entertaining Story of America
  • Encyclopedia of the Exquisite: An Anecdotal History of Elegant Delights