The Museum of Bad Art: Masterworks

The Museum of Bad Art: Masterworks

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Located in the basement of a theater, the Museum of Bad Art (MOBA) is a unique institution dedicated to the celebration of artistic effort, however misguided. The Museum of Bad Art: Masterworks presents a pulsating collection of more than seventy never-before-published pieces of artwork from MOBA's permanent collection. Comprised largely of canvases found discarded on curb...more
Published May 1st 2008 by Ten Speed Press

Mary
I had heard of this organisation before; the museum does actually exist in the Boston area! They also have a website, which features many of the 'artworks' in the book. The art is truly bad, but the descriptions by the 'interpretators' make it highly amusing. Readers are invited to join the MOBA, and even to try 'interpretating' some of the works. You can also submit works for the museum.(I have a watercolor in my attic of some portion of a educational institution done by a nun they might be int...more
Jessica
The Museum of Bad Art actually exists in Boston in the basement of a theater. It is only open when the theater is open. I so want to visit.

They acquire their pieces at flea markets, on curbs, from artists and, my favorite, from artists' mothers. If your own mom thinks that your art is bad, then there really is a problem.

This book is delightful!
Morgan
Jan 04, 2009 Morgan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Morgan by: FLP
I picked this book of the shelf in my neighborhood library thinking, "How bad can this art be?" Oh man! Some of the dog paintings in here are just too . . . bad! Admittedly there was at least one piece in here that was, well, good, and next time I go to Boston I simply must stop by the Museum of Bat Art. Simply.
Courtney
A quick browse through this book made me laugh out loud and get a little teary. I would say that a couple of the paintings were "innappropriate" but they were so badly painted, it was kinda hard to tell! I LOVED the commentary, too funny!
Melissa
Aug 11, 2008 Melissa rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Melissa by: Entertainment Weekly
Not as bad or as funny as I'd hoped, but amusing enough.
Melissa Waters
Makes me want to paint something badly.
Brian
Jul 19, 2009 Brian is currently reading it
The painting that I found at Goodwill and sent to the museum is on page 39 although I have yet to recieve credit (something I have remedied over e-mail but unfortunately long after the book was printed).
Phoenix
Aug 02, 2008 Phoenix is currently reading it
high-larious!
Matt
Matt added it
Mar 03, 2014
Kari Stemm-wolf
Kari Stemm-wolf marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2013
Olivia
Olivia added it
Jun 01, 2013
Alina
Alina added it
Jun 10, 2013
Katie Moncelsi
Katie Moncelsi marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2013
Andressa Souza
Andressa Souza marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2013
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2013