Start by marking “Der goldene Kompass (His Dark Materials, #1)” as Want to Read:
Der goldene Kompass (His Dark Materials, #1)

Der goldene Kompass (His Dark Materials #1)

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  988,352 Ratings  ·  14,779 Reviews
Lyras Leben gibt schon genug Stoff für einen Roman her, bevor Sie ihren Onkel Lord Asriel bei einem Vortrag vor Kollegen seiner Fakultät am Jordan College belauscht. Das College ist berühmt für seine führende Stellung auf dem Gebiet der experimentellen Theologie und unterstützt Lord Asriels Forschung über die ketzerische Möglichkeit der Existenz von Welten, die so ganz and ...more
Audio CD, 11 pages
Published 2007 by GoyaLit (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Der goldene Kompass, please sign up.

Paroma Fun fact: This book was actually written as the antithesis to the Chronicles of Narnia, which are very Christian. These books are quite antireligious,…moreFun fact: This book was actually written as the antithesis to the Chronicles of Narnia, which are very Christian. These books are quite antireligious, but you could still enjoy them regardless of your faith. The Golden Compass does not deal as much with religion, but the second and third books really delve into the topic.(less)

Bookdragon Sean
This novel is an absolute work of pure genius, and is in my top ten reads of all time. Before I go into the depths of character and plot, let me start by saying this book is up there with other fantasy hard hitters: by this I mean books like The Lord of the Rings and The Chronicles of Narnia: the books that define the genre. This is high praise indeed, and this novel is worthy of it.

The protagonist of the book is Lyra, a young girl, who is parentless and seemingly friendless. She has grown up i
Bright
Dec 13, 2007 Bright rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: digested
the golden compass trilogy seems like a natural progression in christian literature. yes, it is christian literature, the same way the chronicles of narnia are. aslan is only a lion when the reader is about 10 or so in the united states. after a point, he unrepentantly becomes jesus. and the four children are like, the gospels or something. and the story is somewhat ruined then, because as an adult, you can't just shoehorn jesus into a lion outfit without snickering a little.

pullman however, has
Sean Gibson
Oct 19, 2015 Sean Gibson rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sean by: Kristin
I don’t love the Beatles.

*Ducks as he is castigated by the seething masses*

I also don’t love green vegetables, punches to the face, or going to the dentist, though I don’t think those revelatory disclosures will elicit much in the way of rage-fueled attempts to slit my throat with the jagged edge of a broken CD (compact disc, kiddos—look it up).

So, why risk a severed jugular on the day before I’m going to stuff myself so full of turkey that I’ll have a snood coming out of my ear? Well, because
Cait • A Page with a View
I hadn't read this since elementary school and am so glad I took the time to come back to it! I don't know that it would be a full 5 stars if I just picked it up today, but we're going with 5 out of nostalgia.

Lyra was one of my favorite characters as a kid and is still just as fierce & wonderful as I remember. Actually, I'm surprised by how well I remember the whole story. Maybe it's because the characters and world are so strong, or maybe it's because the movie follows the book SO well. Se
James
I enjoyed the premise and theme of the book. Pullman created well thought out and memorable characters. It was a little too technical for me in regard to the depths of fantasy, i.e. I had to go back and look up the meaning of some of the made up words in the book to stay focused on what was actually happening. But great imagery. I'm not sure if I will read book 2 or 3 of the series yet... thoughts?
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
Once again, I didn't dislike this book for the usual reasons, and being the kind of person I am:

description

You MUST know I'm a advocate for free thought, for going against the grain, for individuality vs. hive mentality . . .

I believe it's important to teach children to question, to think for themselves.

BUT.

I feel this book crosses a line for its intended audience. There is not a single good adult role model--without exception, they are all selfish, devious, or outright villains.

You can draw a straight lin
notgettingenough
May 13, 2010 notgettingenough rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Later....A friend said to me today that if you read this book properly, it should make you a better person. I'd just earlier in the day been thinking pretty much the same thing. When I asked S. in what way was he made better, he said he couldn't say, just that it had. Exactly. I think you have a sense as you read this book that Lyra's goodness has rubbed off on you, she's made you better in an entirely non-specific way.

M. then said that she didn't think a book, to be special, necessarily had to
Antonio

De alguna forma este libro empezó como una producción de Disney, en la segunda parte parecía más como de Nick o TNT y ya en la tercera parte ¡Wow! Esto se transformo en HBO.

No sé si este libro debe calificarse como infantil, si bien es cierto que la protagonista Lyra nos va dando una perspectiva bastante inocente de su mundo, los temas que se tratan en el libro no lo son tanto, el centro de la historia es, al parecer, el misterio que existe del porque están robándose a los niños de todas partes
Darth J
Apr 01, 2013 Darth J rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series

I never added a review of this but I'm going to now. I'll admit that this one was a bit slow for me at parts (especially compared to the sequels) but what kept me reading was the fascination with the daemons. I liken them to the patronuses (patronii?) from the Harry Potter series in that they are the animal totem of a character, and can change until someone is "set in their ways". How many other people have held conversations about what their daemon or patronus animal is, and then changed it fre
Wendy Darling
Hello friends! We're reading THE GOLDEN COMPASS together throughout the next few weeks as part of our goal to read more classic YA/MG books this year.

Please join us if you can!

-- Discussion on blog: February 28th
-- Hashtag #tmgreadalong if you'd like to discuss as you read on Twitter.

More details on the blog: http://www.themidnightgarden.net/2014...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My review:

Wildly imaginative and thrilling, this complex and be
j
I really liked this book! I think it is easily among the best of the crop of Potter-era YA lit (even though it actually came out first!).

The movie was just ok. I thought the lead kid did a good job playing Lyra, and Nicole Kidman made a very menacing Ann Coulter. But my very favorites were Daniel Craig as the zealot Lord Asriel and Eva Green as badass witch Serafina Pekkala.

Serafina Pekkala is one of my favorite witches in literature: she's grounded in her connection to the earth, she's beautif
Julia
Sep 14, 2007 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middlegrade, 2007, aal, knopf
I really like that the Iorek Byronison, the bear, is always referred to by full name. When I'm Bear King, I definitely want to be on a full-name-all-the-time basis. Then I will battle challengers to mortal combat, tearing through armor, swiping off heads with my massive paws, slicing open chests and devouring hearts. And as I gorge myself on bear blood, I will cry out "Bears! Who is your King?" And my name will roar from a thousand bear throats.
it's going to be awesome.
(My name has got that sam
Peter
The Golden Compass, by Philip Pullman, picks up where the Harry Potter series leaves off. As in Rowling's series, the hero of The Golden Compass--Lyra, a pre-teen girl in Oxford, England--is plucked from her mundane existence to become supremely important to the fate of the living world.

However, unlike the Potter series, The Golden Compass, immerses us immediately in political, religious, and cultural conflict as well. While the central character is indeed a child, which lands this title in the
mark monday
Oct 15, 2007 mark monday rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
fantastic. pullman introduces readers to his sophisticated world view slowly, and this first novel in the trilogy has an ideal narrative focal point in the mean little liar who is the protagonist. i have never seen lying in children portrayed so explicitly as a positive thing, and after this novel, i'm all for it! the settings are wonderfully strange and surreal yet rooted in an eventually understandable reality, and the supporting characters are oblique and enigmatic without being tiresome. the ...more
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
It had been like 12 years since I read this book and I'd been meaning to re-read it for ages––so I finally got around to it, and I fell in love with it all over again. I was kind of surprised by how well I remembered the story/characters despite having not read it since I was 11 years old––apparently it's just that memorable!

There's so much I love about The Golden Compass. The world-building is so vivid and fascinating; I feel so drawn into the settings, I love the dæmons, I love the armored bea
Oceana2602
Jul 14, 2007 Oceana2602 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
This book was recommended to me somewhere in fandom as a children's book that is also interesting to adults. I admit that I wasn't particularly impressed with it, and I can't see it as something that I would give my kids to read. My main complaint is the "means to an end" style the author uses. A bit like in a computer game, our main character Lyra runs from one wise man to another in her quest to find some missing children. This is practical, because except for one scene in the beginning, she d ...more
Brad
Mar 25, 2008 Brad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brad by: China Mieville
Shelves: fantasy
After all the talk about Pullman's supposed anti-Catholicism or anti-Christianity or atheism or whatever one wants to label it, I approached The Golden Compass (known originally as Northern Lights) with an open mind and found something other than what I'd been told to expect.

I found elements that questioned Christianity and Catholicism and the nature of God and its works, but I also found elements that questioned parental authority, the ethical and practical roles of Science, and the nature of
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1), Philip Pullman
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: دوم آگوست سال 2008 میلادی
عنوان: نیروی اهریمنی اش - کتاب اول - سپیده ی شمالی در دو جلد؛ نویسنده: فلیپ پولمن؛ مترجم: فرزاد فرید؛ تهران، کتاب پنجره، 1384 تا 1385، در پنج جلد؛ شابک دوره پنج جلدی: 9647822146؛ چاپ سوم 1387؛ شابک دوره: 9789647822145؛ چاپ چهارم 1388؛ موضوع: داستانهای کودکان و نوجوانان از نویسندگان انگلیسی - قرن 20 م
کتاب اول شامل دو جلد بخش اول و دوم: سپیدهی شمالی؛ جلد سوم کتاب دوم: خنجر ظریف؛ و جلد چهارم و پن
Darren
Nov 04, 2007 Darren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Though billed as a children's book, I dug it, and I'm a 38 year old dude; good for fans of fantasy
The story in brief: The book is a fantasy novel set in a strangely familiar pseudo-Victorian/steampunk parallel Earth. The protagonist is a young ophaned girl who's been raised at Oxford by the attending scholars. The story concerns kidnapped children, hidden mysteries of the Church, wandering gypsies, proud Arctic warrior bears, long-lived flying witches, and the possibility of a rift that could exist between different worlds.

Daemons: Each human being in this world has a constant animal compani
Diamond Cowboy
Jul 22, 2016 Diamond Cowboy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a really fun read. It was replete with witches, iron bears and all sorts of mythical creatures. The plot was fun and moved a long at a good pace. It was a real page turner. I would recommend this book to all who love Young Adult/Fantacy.
Enjoy and Be Blessed.
Diamond
Rebecca
Dec 19, 2007 Rebecca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fans
This book started off strong, but by the end of the story, I felt that Pullman had sacrificed logic and direction for drama and suspense. He did a good job of gradually making Lyra less of an ignorant brat and more of a noble little savage girl. Overall, I liked this book well enough to want to read the second one in the trilogy, but I had several problems with it:

-There was no comic relief or even any funny moments in this book. It took itself extremely seriously and was rarely light-hearted or
Maxwell
Nov 13, 2015 Maxwell rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-it, 2015
I never read this book as a child, and I sort of feel like not having that nostalgia behind it while reading it as an adult kept me from fully appreciating it. The story is fantastical and highly enjoyable. Lyra is a precocious, intelligent and wonderful protagonist. I only wish she had used the darn alethiometer more! So many questions could've been answered, so many issues resolved, with that device. And it was a bit preachy, though I can't imagine children fully grasping the theological and e ...more
John
Jul 22, 2008 John rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
His Dark Materials is a three volume adolescent adventure tale occurring in a pseudo-Victorian universe parallel to our own. In this “steam-punk” environment religion and science are alloyed in clever and interesting ways. For example, a mechanical bug is a flying machine with a trapped evil spirit as its energy source, and physics is called experimental theology.

The protagonist of this trilogy is a pre-adolescent named Lyra Belacque. Lyra is a girl with a destiny, a feisty, clever child who li
Xime García
Nov 29, 2015 Xime García rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Xime by: Antonio
Shelves: reseñados
Reseña de "La Daga" (La Materia Oscura 2)
Reseña de "El Catalejo Lacado" (La Materia Oscura 3)

Me gustó mucho, no me lo esperaba. Había visto la película hace años pero no me acordaba de su argumento, así que el libro trajo muchas sorpresas - originales, raras, pero buenas al fin.

Sin embargo, antes de empezar con la reseña...

*abre el libro en la primera página*
*busca un nombre*

Traducción: Roser Berdagué.

Ah, mirá qué nombrecito. Ok.

Roser Berdagué...

description

Bueno, continuemos con la reseña.

El libro fu
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Read until 51% and then skim read the rest. This was SOOOO disappointing. I was looking forward to it so much because the premise sounded incredible and I was excited to hear Pullman's atheism woven into his work, but everything about this book was bland. It was so slow moving and the characters were all so unlikable, I was honestly shocked that I was reading the same book that everyone else loved? Maybe it's because it lacked the nostalgia that a lot of people have with the series because I nev ...more
Seth
Although it's 3 physical books for publishing reasons, His Dark Materials (HDM)is one continuous story (well... see below), so I'm reviewing the whole set. It isn't useful to review one part alone.

HDM is a decent read with many great elements. On Orson Scott Card's "MICE" scale--Milieu, Idea, Character, and Event--it's mostly a Milieu story, so expect a tour of the world(s), focusing on the strangeness therein and the history thereof. It's a great setting with many fabulous ideas underlying the
Ivana
Jan 24, 2017 Ivana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jako me je interesovalo da li će mi se knjiga ovaj put manje svideti i drago mi je što je pri ponovnom čitanju još bolja. Još više sam se zaljubila u svet i likove. Tako jednostavno napisana, a opet istovremeno kompleksna i prepuna skrivenih značenja. Pulmanova "doktrina" mnogo više leži mom senzibilitetu od one u Narniji, da ne objašnjavam dalje. Divna knjiga.
Najzad, recenzija na blogu.
Zanna
Jul 29, 2013 Zanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: feminism
I found this in my school library and devoured its crystalline atmosphere, rich language, shadowy, redolent world and refreshing refusal to patronise young readers. It was booktopia to me at thirteen; it was easily my favourite book. Lyra is one of my favourite literary characters; lonely, loyal, fiercely intelligent and independent, she is never the passive vehicle of her magical ability, but always an agent, resisting and fighting injustice as she sees it in her own way.

My two favourite things
Anne
Jul 08, 2017 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Krasser Cliffhanger am Ende des Buches - verleitet mich ja beinahe, weiterlesen bzw. hören zu wollen, aber alles in allem konnte mich die Geschichte nicht wirklich überzeugen. Geschrieben war sie toll, aber man musste wirklich höllisch aufmerksam sein, um nicht den Anschluss zu verpassen, aber die Story war mir einfach zu absurd, vor allem die Erklärung zum Schluss, und Lyra hat mich so gar nicht gecatched. Ein süßes Mädchen, aber nicht die Heldin, die sie sein sollte.
Mir war es einfach zuuu vi
Jan-Maat
Well.

First Introduction
Any book that has Jean Calvin becoming Pope & moving the seat of the papacy to Geneva would have to go out of its way to win my displeasure.

Second Introduction
Looking out of the window of an aeroplane on to the topside of the clouds I have imagined that they were a great wildness of snow and that I was some great bear leaping through it. This my nature, this my place. So I read this book.

Third Introduction
If I had been reading this book to a child, I would have been th
  • Lirael (Abhorsen, #2)
  • Wild Magic (Immortals, #1)
  • Juniper (Doran, #2)
  • A Darkling Plain (The Hungry City Chronicles, #4)
  • Slaves of the Mastery (Wind on Fire, #2)
  • The Dark Is Rising (The Dark is Rising, #2)
  • The Merlin Conspiracy (Magids, #2)
  • Days of Magic, Nights of War (Abarat, #2)
  • Ptolemy's Gate (Bartimaeus, #3)
  • The Farthest-Away Mountain
  • The Earthsea Quartet (Earthsea Cycle, #1-4)
  • The King of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #3)
  • Taran Wanderer (The Chronicles of Prydain #4)
In 1946, acclaimed author Philip Pullman was born in Norwich, England, into a Protestant family. Although his beloved grandfather was an Anglican priest, Pullman became an atheist in his teenage years. He graduated from Exeter College in Oxford with a degree in English, and spent 23 years as a teacher while working on publishing 13 books and numerous short stories. Pullman has received many awards ...more
More about Philip Pullman...

His Dark Materials (3 books)
  • The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials, #2)
  • The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials, #3)

“You cannot change what you are, only what you do.” 1025 likes
“That's the duty of the old,' said the Librarian, 'to be anxious on the behalf of the young. And the duty of the young is to scorn the anxiety of the old.'

They sat for a while longer, and then parted, for it was late, and they were old and anxious.”
299 likes