Start by marking “Amazing Gracie” as Want to Read:
Amazing Gracie

Dan Dye

Amazing Gracie

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  3,675 ratings  ·  409 reviews
When Dan Dye reached the shivering pup in the comer, she struggled to her feet and raised her forehead to his as if to say You know I'm the one. Now get me outta here! We often hear stories about people saving animals. This is the heartfelt story of a dog who was born with the cards stacked against her, but whose passionate, joyful nature enabled her to save two guys who t...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 257 pages
Published February 15th 2001 by Thorndike Press (first published September 11th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Amazing Gracie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amazing Gracie

Barks & Bites
Dan Dye was mourning over the loss of his childhood companion Blue and didn’t think he was ready for another dog. When the book begins it has only been eight weeks since Blue’s passing and he is still very heart-broken. But often, as I’ve discovered, dogs have a way of finding you exactly when you need them most and he adopts Gracie a deaf, blind in one eye, albino Great Dane scheduled for euthanasia (the next day!). Dan thought he was rescuing Gracie but Gracie is the one who saves Dan and help...more
Julianna
Feb 26, 2009 Julianna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dog & Animal Lovers
Reviewed for THC Reviews
Amazing Gracie is an incredibly heartwarming story that made me laugh at Gracie's puppy antics, cheer at her and her humans' success in business, and cry buckets as Gracie's life on this mortal plane drew to a close. I can see why Gracie was such an inspiration to the authors of this story. She overcame the disabilities with which she was born and which nearly had her euthanized as a pup, to live a long and happy life. I truly commend Dan Dye for being up to the challenge...more
Andrea
This is a MUST read for dog lovers! True story of the companionship and love that a dog and her owners share. Opens the door to what a dog and owner can and do share between them...love, companionship, and so much more. This is one of those books that you just cannot put down! Does need a kleenex alert!
Rachel
I absolutely loved Amazing Gracie! I just finished crying like a freaking baby. I mean, I know large dogs don't live to be very old, so the chances that Gracie was still alive were about zero, I still just wasn't prepared for that ending. But the beautiful part is that Gracie lived an incredible life with owners that loved her and sisters that grew to be her best friends. I wish every dog owner was as good to their pets as Dan and Mark were.

Amazing Gracie was sometimes hilarious, and at other t...more
Sirpa Grierson
While this book is not particularly literary, I have loved enough animals to feel convinced of its truths as a reader. Not only do these guys do speak with an authentic voice; Gracie is special. It's a cute story, and one that tugs at your heart strings. My daughter just unexpectedly lost her gentle, gorgeous standard poodle, whose personally reminded me so much of Gracie. Some dogs are pets, others seem to have a nobility and otherworldly character that seems to categorize them as a "old-soul....more
Tara Chevrestt
I enjoyed this short but funny read so much, I went to their website and bought my dogs three bags of treats! LOL. If it's a marketing ploy, it works.. :)

It is funny and touching both. It's about a deaf albino great dane who inspires two guys to start making dog cookies and before you know it, they have stores all over the country and are appearing on Oprah.

Fabulous!
I gave it 5 stars because I love dogs. :) I also thought it was a great true story on a dog's unconditional love... I could relate to Dan, the author, and his dog Gracie. Of course, if you've read other reviews it will make you laugh and cry as you relate his experiences to your own. Great easy, short read!
Lynnea
Dec 28, 2008 Lynnea rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dog lovers
Shelves: non-fiction
Wow! What a great book! In a very funny way of writing, Dan Dye explains how his dog bakery began because of Gracie, his deaf Great Dane, who was a picky eater and ate only all natural fresh foods. The book chronicles all of Gracie's life and Three Dog Bakery. Get your tissues ready!
Anna
If you cry a lot in books, then near the end of this fabtabulous one, grab the tissue box, for even i (who never crys during books) was touched by this book and sobbing by the end of it, (thank god no one could see me!)
Patricia W Geffken
Requires an entire box of tissues by book's end!
Kait
Oct 26, 2012 Kait rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Animal Lovers, Humans, Dog Lovers
An impossibly cute tale about a tail that jump started the famed Three Dog Bakery. Author and owner of Three Dog Bakery Dan Dye recounts the story of Great Dane Gracie and how she found him and he found his calling.

Small (at first) and ungraceful (always), Gracie enters Dan's life during a period of discord. Out of college, working a job he hates, Dan doesn't know what to do or where to go in life. Cue Gracie, a ridiculously cute, all white, blue-eyed, deaf, runt of the litter Great Dane. Gracie...more
Eva Leger
When I saw that a good friend had written that this was a favorite of hers I knew I had to read it. One of the biggest things we have in common is a huge love for animals so I knew this had to mean something.
At first, I wasn't so sure. I liked the authors voice, he has an enjoyable sense of humor.
It took just a little getting into for me - not having anything to do with the Gracie really but I wanted to get into the meat of it. Basically, the bakery and baking didn't mean anything to me until Gr...more
Vanessa Retzlaff
Great Danes are amazing family members that unfortunately leave this Earth way too soon. Amazing Gracie is a true story about an albino Great Dane who happened to be deaf and was saved from euthanasia by the author. It tells the story of how the author coped with the loss of a lifelong friend with the help of a this dog, who was named Gracie. It goes through the owner's life with Gracie, and tells the story of how she helped him in multiple aspects of his life. Having a deaf albino Great Dane my...more
Jessica Snyder
A few days ago, this was the "Kindle Deal of the Day," so I downloaded the sample to see if it was worth buying. I was immediately hooked, bought the book, and couldn't put it down. Every other book and project was put down until I finished this gem. In places I variously grinned, chuckled, belly-laughed, teared up, and had a good hearty tissue fest. Only mind-searing migraines could tear me away from this book, and I'm not normally a dog-memoir person.

The gist of the story is this: Dan, trudgi...more
Ss Ho
Mar 07, 2012 Ss Ho rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children 10-15
Shelves: favorites
Amazing Gracie is a capturing book, where an deaf dog inspired a man to create a bakery for dogs. I love it!!!! You should definutly read it, because it is touching. I would only recommmend it for children 10-15 years of age. Plus, I love it!!!! I love it!!!! I love it!!!! I love it!!!! I love it!!!! I love it!!!! I love it!!!! I love it!!!! I love it!!!! I love it!!!! I love it!!!! I love it!!!! I love it!!!! I love it!!!! I love it!!!! I love it!!!! I love it!!!! I love it!!!! I love it!!!! I...more
Deonte
Dan Dye had a horrible life he hated his job he didn't know what to do and his dog just died not to long ago. Friends did their best to cheer him up but it didn't work.Then a Great Dane called Gracie came into his life, then things started to go his way for once.Gracie was a puppy that no one else liked, because she was deaf, she is albino, and she also had big blue eyes,when Dan first saw her, he fell in love with her he finally felt happy.I recommend this book to true dog lovers,this book is a...more
Mel
I bought this book for my sister as a present, but then wanted to be sure it was something she would enjoy. After reading it, I'm glad I did. It was everything that a book about a dog changing someone's life should be--memorable, poignant, humorous, and full of love, both Gracie's love for her humans, and her humans' love for her. Easy enough to read in a morning (which I did), yet important enough to remember and perhaps come back to. And a tear-jerker at the end, given the fact that I've got a...more
Amy
Loved it! He is a very funny writer. I laughed and cried. so sad, but she had a great life and really made everyone's life around her better!!!
Denise
Amazing Gracie: A Dog's Tale was a book about a dog and a book about starting a business. It's about a man who rescued a dog from euthanasia and found his life's work because of the dog. If you read it just because you love animals you will find a heart warming tale that will make you laugh out loud and cry too so keep the tissues handy. If you read it to learn more about starting a business you will also be satisfied.
Allie
This was such a great book! It was a very cute and light-hearted read. This is quite possibly the only book that had me laughing but had me in tears at the same time! How can you not fall in love with Gracie and everyone in this book!? I felt all of the same emotions described in this book and found it to be very inspiring to have hope that your calling in life can be found anywhere, especially through random acts of kindness or acts of love! I highly recommend this book if you are looking for a...more
Kay
Absolutely loved this book. It's about the Gracie the dog that Three Dog Bakery started because of her not eating. The two men who started it did a wonderful job and their story is heart warming. You absolutely love this Albino Great Dane within 2 seconds of meeting her.

I definitely recommend this to anyone who loves dogs!

It is just a good story. I laughed out loud on the plane and in the airport and just ignored the people looking at me. I also cried - but it was a good kind of cry.

Enjoy!
Kim
The story of a man not yet over the death of his beloved dog and the blind, albino Great Dane that saves him. The story tells how Gracie changes his life and leads him to pursue a dream. Dan, the author, and Mark founded Three Dog Bakery after Dan had to learn to cook to find something Gracie would eat. This is a heartwarming book, and I heartily recommend it to ANY dog lover. Dogs are good people.

I went to the Three Dog Bakery website and bought some - my dog prefers their treats to all others.
Trisha  Coonce
This would be the second time I read this book and it was just as good as the first time around. The amazing bond they have with Gracie is one that makes you think of a special pet in your own life. She inspires them to reach for what starts as a pipe dream and eventually becomes reality. A gentle, encouraging, and loving old soul Gracie teaches them new ways to look at life. And I would be lying if I said I didn't laugh or cry throughout this book. Just an amazing story.
Melissa
Aug 21, 2012 Melissa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone/dog lovers
Shelves: dogs
I absolutely loved this book! It is the first book I've read by Dan Dye. I needed to know the story behind The Three Dog Bakery. It starts off sad but Grace's story is a great read. Expect some laughs and some tears. The book follows Gracie from a puppy to her new home. It shows all the things that make a dog great: trust, loyalty and unconditional love. A must read for anyone looking for a rags to riches story that's heartfelt.
Bethany Lois
A simple and touching true story. Originally I had my doubts that I'd like this book, I'm not one for dog or animal movies; so I wasn't sure about a dog book.This was an unexpected, sweet story of a man whos dog taught him what life and love is all about. I definitely recommend this one, and I recommend a box of Kleenex for the last few chapters. You'll give your dog an extra squeeze after reading this tail. Tail/tale, get it? 5 stars.
Cat
Amazing Gracie is a heart warming story about a deaf almost blind albno great dane named Gracie. The book starts when Gracie is a puppy and goes all the way till the end. It will make you fall in love with this sweet loving dog and make you wish you had a dog just like her. Warning you will need tissue at the end of the book. If you are a dog lover I recommend that you read this book it's truely a heart warming story.
Bridget Conroy
This is the first book by these authors that I have read. I realize they are not true authors in the sense that they had a good idea and chose to write about it and have been successful ever since. You think this book is solely going to be about Gracie the dog and come to find out it's also about her owner and how he got his successful dog bakery off the ground with her help of course. It was a nice and easy read about how a dog changed a human's life so it was really enjoyable don't get me wron...more
Amanda McCarthy
This book was marvelous. It is the first book in several years that has both made me laugh aloud and sob with tissues in hand. When I finished reading Amazing Gracie, I wanted to pet my own dog and cuddle with her. Any animal lover will love this book, and people who have never had pets will want one when they close the back cover. I can't say enough good things about Amazing Gracie!
Joyce
As an absolute sucker for dog-related stories I knew I would love this book... and that I was likely to shed tears by the last page. True on both counts. I loved this book and cried when the time came to say good-bye to Gracie. It's the story of 2 guys and 3 girls (dogs that is)... and the start of Three Dog Bakery... a wonderful, humorous adventure in memory of an Amazing Dane!
  • Saving Gracie: How One Dog Escaped the Shadowy World of American Puppy Mills
  • A Dog Year: Twelve Months, Four Dogs, and Me
  • Best Friends: The True Story of the World's Most Beloved Animal Sanctuary
  • DogTown: Tales of Rescue, Rehabilitation, and Redemption
  • Pukka: The Pup After Merle
  • Puppy Chow is Better Than Prozac: The True Story of a Man and the Dog Who Saved His Life
  • Katie Up and Down the Hall: The True Story of How One Dog Turned Five Neighbors into a Family
  • Saving Cinnamon: The Amazing True Story of a Missing Military Puppy and the Desperate Mission to Bring Her Home
  • Shelter Dogs: Amazing Stories of Adopted Strays
  • Lost and Found: Dogs, Cats, and Everyday Heroes at a Country Animal Shelter
  • What the Dog Did: Tales from a Formerly Reluctant Dog Owner
  • Rescuing Sprite: A Dog Lover's Story of Joy and Anguish
  • Good Dog. Stay.
  • Out of Harm's Way
Short Tails And Treats From Three Dog Bakery Cooking the Three Dog Bakery Way Cooking the Three Dog Bakery Way Amazing Gracie: A Dog's Tale The Path of Stone