Start by marking “This Simian World” as Want to Read:
This Simian World

This Simian World

The author of Life With Father takes a thoughtful look at the ape-like aspects of humanity and offers witty speculations on a world dominated by other species. This 1920 work features humorous, provocative insights into the nature of the evolutionary pyramid. 10 of Day's Thurberesque black-and-white line illustrations enhance the text.
Published July 10th 1997 by Dover Publications (first published 1920)

To ask other readers questions about This Simian World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Simian World

Fishface
Every page, nay, every word of this slender volume is a glittering gem of insight into the human condition. It asks, OK, people, let's be serious -- are we fallen angels or are we highly emroidered apes? The author takes the latter position and explains why in lighthearted, yet blistering, detail. I am so grateful I came across this! If you like Will Cuppy, you should read this one.
Moisès
Nov 01, 2016 Moisès rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found a reference to this jewel in Lin Yutang's "the importance of living"
It is a short essay (about 40 pages) written a century ago, that one can find in the Gutenberg Project.
Yutang was absolutely right: reading that essay of Day's, we can forgive all «…» the busybodies who try to interfere with other people's lives «…» because we begin to understand them.
Al Sirois
Jun 15, 2014 Al Sirois rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, it's THAT Clarence Day -- from his play (and the well-remembered -- by me, at least -- TV show from the 1950s), "Life with Father." In this little book Day considers how being evolved frm simians has made us what we are. He also indulges in a little bit of speculation about how we as humans might be different had we been evolved from elephants, say, or lions. A short, fun read. Day is unjustly forgotten now... I read this as a child and had remembered it for years. Finally got an electronic ...more
Logan Albright
Apr 03, 2014 Logan Albright rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Banal, meandering musings on animals, human nature and evolution. The author drifts from one topic to another without insight or direction. Why he felt the need to share what appears to be nothing more than a stream of consciousness with the world remains a mystery. Possibly the most pointless book I've ever read.
Sem
Sem rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Laura Elliott
Laura Elliott rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2012
Evan
Evan rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2012
J.C.
J.C. rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2014
Jim
Jim rated it did not like it
Apr 22, 2012
Tim
Tim rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2015
Dave
Jul 02, 2012 Dave rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
Not that deep. Thin light read.
Elliot Haworth
Elliot Haworth rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2007
Kaylin
Kaylin rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2011
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2016
Pierre Bonomo
Pierre Bonomo rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2016
Briana V
Nov 17, 2014 Briana V rated it did not like it
The worst book I have ever read. If I could give 0 stars, I would.
Kevin
Kevin rated it it was ok
Sep 12, 2010
Autumn
Autumn rated it it was ok
Sep 08, 2010
Reverend
Reverend rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2014
Hal Johnson
Hal Johnson rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2016
Chloe
Chloe rated it did not like it
Dec 28, 2011
Erica
Erica rated it did not like it
May 27, 2015
Ronald
Ronald rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2014
Farah
Farah rated it it was ok
Aug 23, 2014
Iolanthe Woulff
Iolanthe Woulff rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2009
Payton Bruce
Payton Bruce rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2016
Timothy Gielow
Timothy Gielow rated it did not like it
Jan 23, 2013
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2012
Lisa Detora
Lisa Detora rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2012

“Creatures whose mainspring is curiosity enjoy the accumulating of facts far more than the pausing at times to reflect on those facts.” 12 likes
“Dogs have more love than integrity. They've been true to us, yes, but they haven't been true to themselves.” 9 likes