Something Remains

Something Remains

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  20 reviews

Erich Levi doesn't understand why his father is so gloomy when the Nazis are elected to power. He's too concerned with keeping his grades up, finding time to hang out by the river with his friends, and studying for his bar mitzvah, to worry about politics.

But slowly, gradually, things begin to change for Erich. Some of the teachers begin to grade him unfairly - because he'...more
Published October 1st 2006 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Something Remains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Something Remains

Leane
I suppose a lot of research went into this novel, and I do appreciate that it was written by a teacher and that it is a true story. But as a reader, I must say that this book is super boring. Nothing really happens. Yes, things do get worse and worse for Erich Levi and his family who live in a small town in Germany during the rise of Hitler and the Nazis in the early 1930s. And yes, I did feel incredibly sorry for Erich and his little brother, Max, who had to undergo ridicule and humiliation day...more
Lisa
I was reading historical fiction about WWII earlier and I think that book (The Boy Who Dared by Susan Campbell Bartoletti) really helped me in understanding this book. It was very interesting because "The Boy Who Dared" was about a normal German boy and this book is about a Jew. It was fascinating to see the differences and similarities in the lives of these young people.

The story itself is very exciting and it hooks the reader until the end, leaving them stunned to see what actually happened. I...more
Yonatan
May 12, 2007 Yonatan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone ready for subject
The book is the culmination of a research project a school teacher in a small town in Germany initiated with her students. The project was to trace the history of the (small) Jewish community in the town which disappeared in 1938. The author focuses on one German-Jewish family during Hitler's rise to power, while specifically writing from the perspective of one of the children, Erich. The book is created as a children's book (10 and up), yet is more than captivating for an adult. The author writ...more
Anastasia
I really enjoyed this book because instead of it being about concentration camps and that sort of thing, it was about the daily life of German Jews during Hitler's rise to power and the rise of the Nazi party. I think it was really well researched and showed the gradual rise of feelings against the Jews. I wish there had been a little more questions answered, even if it was fictional.
Alison
Sep 01, 2010 Alison rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: world, ya
A very good and important book about the last family if Jews in a small town in Swabia. Most books are solely about the Holocaust and do not discuss the trauma that must have affected so many families even before the war. I think it also gives a bit of insight into the townspeople. Surely some were bad, but also sine were just terrified - something the Levis could actually relate to. Great perspective. And the writing itself was good. I would like to see what else this author could do, maybe eve...more
Riv
Sure, it's Holocaust literature, which should get it bonus points for the whole "minory, taboo subject" thing. But it was so terrible. I couldn't get halfway through. It's so slow, and the characters are all so generic. I guess Erich Levi was supposed to represent an average mostly-Ortodox (I think?) 12 year old, but nothing happened in the book. A hundred pages in, and very few things of note have happened.
Total, epic, #bookfail
*headdesk*
Paula
Very readable story about a young boy growing up in 1933-38 Germany. Jewish, he went from becoming one of the most popular kids in his school to being totally ostracized. This is a good tale about how the lives of the Jewish people slowly deteriorated as Hitler gained power. Highly recommended read.
Mary Bronson
I thought this was a very good book. I loved the characters and plot. This book was told a great story of what it was like for Jews before WWII. How this ugly mess got started. I'm glad that the family got out of Germant and to America before they were send off to the camps.
Maigan
I thought it was a bit slow, but it was good. Something I'd never read anything like. It's pre-Holocaust times, from a Jewish kid's point of view. Hilter was just elected and was wreaking havoc all over Germany. I felt so bad for him. :( I literally started crying.
Kevin
Inge Barth-Grozinger has brilliantly recreated the life of a Jewish family in a small German town during the Nazi era. Something Remains provides, with terrible, everyday detail, an answer to the impossible question: how could the Holocaust have happened?
Liz
I really enjoyed this book. One of the messages I got from it is that even when the world is crumbling around you, the kindness of a few can lift you up and keep you going. Also that Natzis suck. But I knew that already.
Stefanie
Excellent novel, hard to read at parts, heartbreaking, shows in great detail HOW the Holocaust happened and how good Germans were terrorized into submission. One of the best Holocaust novels I have read.
Sandy Jacobson
Beginning of Hitler's reign and how a teenage Jewish boy, Erich, survives school and family life. Life is unpleasant and gets worse every day.
Andrea
Enjoyed this book. Saddened how subtle evil rises. The book flowed well and I really could feel the loneliness and confusion of the subject.
Tammy Barrack
This was a good book but it moved slowly at times. I love historical fiction set in WW II regarding the holocaust so I persevered.
Anna
Generally, an anti-climatic novel with a bland plot. Reading from the narrative of a young Jewish boy was interesting, however.
Tiffy
Nov 09, 2008 Tiffy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Tiffy by: no one
This book proves that in tough times people can be cruel but also....people can survive through the worst.
Terri
Life of young boy and his family in Germany in the years immediately preceeding the holocaust.
Mikko Peralta
Something Remains was researched in great depth to the point of being inexorably dragging.
Sai Quebec
The typical joy ride bump and unstable. Over all it was fine.
Kelsey McKim
Kelsey McKim is currently reading it
Aug 17, 2014
Tori
Tori marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Linda Lipko
Linda Lipko marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Candace Gillhoolley
Candace Gillhoolley marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Bonnie
Bonnie is currently reading it
Jun 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Beerensommer: Familiensaga Aus Dem Schwarzwald Etwas Bleibt Stachelbeerjahre Geliebte Berthe Beerensommer (German Edition)