Start by marking “What We Wish We'd Known When We Were Newlyweds” as Want to Read:
What We Wish We'd Known When We Were Newlyweds

What We Wish We'd Known When We Were Newlyweds

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  334 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Presents advice for newlyweds in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
Published 2000 by Deseret Book

To ask other readers questions about What We Wish We'd Known When We Were Newlyweds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What We Wish We'd Known When We Were Newlyweds

Tawny
Favorite quotes:
1. "Generally speaking, men talk for information, but women talk for interaction."
2. "The deepest principle of human nature is the craving to be appreciated."
3. "Marriage isn't any big thing, it's a lot of little things. Acts of kindness every day create a happy marriage."
Rich-Allana
I bought this book about three months before my ex-husband filed for divorce hoping it would be sonething that might help with our marriage. However, I did not read it during that time frame. I am now in a relationship with a wonderful man whom I want to marry. As such, I thought I would pull this book out and read it. It really is a wonderful book! It helped me sort some of my thoughts about my previous marriage and how I would like things to be different this time around. I am now reading it a ...more
Grandma
We have been married for 43 years, and I think this is a great book for couples of any age. Love the Bytheways!
Larsen
Packed with learning for all married couples -- newlyweds or at any time in their marriage. Emphasizes the absolute need for communication but clarifies (better, for me, than ever before) the difference between what men generally seek when communcating versus what women seek. Suggests some critical foundational understandings which, if established between spouses, will prevent many conflicts between them and much internal personal turmoil. Included at the end of each chapter are suggestions for ...more
Shawnda
Such a great book. I think its so important to always strive to make your marriage better. One way Nate and I do this is by reading marriage books. This one by John Bytheway and his wife is perfect. Its written as a guide for your first year of marriage and I find it even perfect for our second year (as I suspect it will be for the rest of our lives).They give lots of great topics for discussion between you and your spouse. I reccomend this book to anyone who wants to keep their marriage happy a ...more
Tammy
This book gets 4 stars because I read it aloud to my fiance (now husband) as we drove to and from Utah. So we stopped and discussed much of it. Doing that allowed us to talk about things many people may not have discussed previous to marriage. It ensured us that we were in fact on the same page on many different subjects. So it proved pretty valuable for us. :)
Andrea
Obviously this would have been a better book to read when I was engaged or first married, but I still think it had some good points. Most of what it said I had heard before so it was just a reminder book for me. I would suggest it to engaged/newly married couples. And I loved that John Bytheway added his usual humor.
Sara
Tys and I listened to this CD while driving around the Wasatch Front one Sunday. John (and his wife) are a little on the peppy side, and so they can get a little annoying at parts. However, there were some decent ideas that can be taken from the CDs. I highly recommend listening to the out-takes at the end of the CD.
Rachel Heaton
This was an awesome book. Stew and I read it during the car ride to our honeymoon spot. It even intrigued Stew and has helped us a TON in our marriage. It gives great advice for living together, adjusting to married life and being selfless. Very good read!!
Anna
I know it's kind of late to read at this point since I've been married 6 1/2 years but... I found it and read it anyway. The author is witty as usual and keeps your attention well. Offers good insight and advice for LDS couples, even if your not a newlywed!
I just finished this book after a recommendation from my brother-in-law Kris. Thanks! It was a good reminder of all the little things you can do to help your marriage stay young, fresh and exciting! Good to hear as our 8 year anniversary is coming up.
Gaylene
Wayne and I read this on our honeymoon, and now have a goal of re-reading it every year! This book was a great start to our marriage, and I would recommend it to all couples, whether you are just getting married, or have been married for years.
Saralyn
My husband and I listened to this on a road trip. It has a lot of great advice for newlyweds. I highly recommend this to newlyweds, oldlyweds and engaged couples. Or people seeking to improve themselves while waiting for marriage.
Kalina
My husband and I got this as a wedding gift and started reading it right away. We read about a chapter together every day. It helped us get through that awful first year much more smoothly than it would've been I'm sure!
Michelle
We read this back in 2001 when we first married. We have used two concepts from this book througout our seven years: the rating system (particularly when deciding where to go or what to do) and "sternfaulter."
Jessie
I thought this was a good book as a new married. I would have liked to read it during the few months before marriage and then again afterwards. John Bytheway is a good author with with great insight and humor.
Sherri
This was such a great book to read when we were first married but it gives such great ideas I think it is great for any couple no matter how long you've been married. Sometime you need those little reminders!
Natalie
There is nothing novel or new about the ideas in this book, but it is a concise and helpful review of ways to build and maintain a strong marital relationship. This book would be a great gift for newlyweds.
Wendy
This book hits the nail on the head so many times. Reading it made me realize what an awesome husband I have, and it opened my eyes to all the ways I can improve. And who doesn't love John Bytheway?
Erin
I've been married for a while and found this in a box in our most recent move. It was interesting and had a couple of good points which I would like to incorporate into my relationship.
Danni
This was a quick read. I really enjoyed the ideas and I hope that I can use some of them even though I have been married for seven years. Everything can be better, right?
Garin
While this book was enjoyable and offered some great advice, it lacked a lot of John Bytheway's trademark wit and humor, making for a dry (though educational) read.
Cristina
Feb 02, 2008 Cristina rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Newlywed Couples
When me and my husband were first married, we read this book together! It has helped us a lot, especially that first year of marriage. Great book for newlyweds!!
Chelsea Decker
Lot of his own opinion, but he puts it in his usual funny way, which I like. I loved their ideas of how to keep love alive within your marriage. Short quick read!
Whitney
This was a fun easy read and my husband actually seemed to listen. I can't say I learned much I didn't already know, but it's always good to be reminded
Alissa
We got this book as a wedding present and it is now the gift that we give to all of our friends. It has so much practical advice as is such an easy read.
Elizabeth
Apr 09, 2008 Elizabeth rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who are engaged
Shelves: my-books-read
I got this book at my wedding or as an anniversary gift. (I can't remember) Well, I already knew what was written in the book. Common Sense.
Kylee Davis
I read this shortly after getting married. Eric and I both really enjoyed it. I am sure there are things I need to revisit in it's pages.
Breonne
It's a fast read. Pretty much everything in here is stuff I already new but it's good for a refresher and to make you rethink some things.
Dianna
Dec 17, 2009 Dianna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
One of our wedding gifts, and I really like it. Makes you laugh while giving great advice on marriage and relationships with your spouse!
  • First Comes Love
  • Covenant Hearts: Marriage and the Joy of Human Love
  • Between Husband & Wife
  • Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Lorenzo Snow
  • However Long & Hard the Road
  • And They Were Not Ashamed: Strengthening Marriage Through Sexual Fulfillment
  • Millennial Messiah: The Second Coming of the Son of Man
  • Strangling Your Husband Is Not an Option: A Practical Guide to Dramatically Improving Your Marriage
  • Falling to Heaven: The Surprising Path to Happiness
  • One Bright Shining Hope
  • Take Two Chocolates and Call Me in the Morning: 12 Semi-Practical Solutions for the Really Busy Woman
  • Without Offense: The Art of Giving and Receiving Criticism
  • What the Scriptures Teach Us about Raising a Child
  • Raising Up a Family to the Lord
  • When Thou Art Converted: Continuing Our Search for Happiness
John Bytheway (born October 1962) is an American author and academic, who is well known as a comic motivational speaker for youth within The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Born in Salt Lake City, Bytheway attended the University of Utah and Brigham Young University (BYU) in Provo, Utah, receiving a Master's Degree in Religious Education. He also served as a missionary for the LDS Chu ...more
More about John Bytheway...
When Times Are Tough: 5 Scriptures That Will Help You Get Through Almost Anything How to Be Totally Miserable What I Wish I'd Known in High School: A Crash Course in Teenage Survival Behind Every Good Man: [Helping Your Husband Take Spiritual Lead at Home] Helping Your Husband Take the Spiritual Lead in the Home Righteous Warriors: Lessons from the War Chapters in the Book of Mormon