Start by marking “The Creative Fire: Myths and Stories on the Cycles of Creativity” as Want to Read:
The Creative Fire: Myths and Stories on the Cycles of Creativity

The Creative Fire: Myths and Stories on the Cycles of Creativity

4.54  ·  Rating Details  ·  221 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
In Search of La Chispa: The Elemental Source of Your CreativityAn expanded edition of the classic on creativity by Dr. Clarissa Pinkola Estes, this spoken-word masterpiece guides you through the dark labyrinths of the psyche in search of "la chispa" the ember that is the elemental source of all creative work. Dr. Estes teaches about the hidden aspects of creativity, includ ...more
Audio CD, Abridged, 0 pages
Published June 30th 2005 by Sounds True (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Creative Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Creative Fire

RachelvlehcaR
Amazing audiobook. I can't find the actual book anywhere. Just the audio format of it. I'd love to read this book and highlight the hell out of it. It's one of those books to read over and over to be reminded of the importance to embrace yourself.

I am a huge fan of mythology of all kinds and I enjoy how Estes teaches with mythology and uses the characters to make her points. It makes the learning more enjoyable and to help me see the tales in new eyes.

I highly recommend the book and would like
Mary Mathews
Listen to this in the audio version. These stories speak directly to the "wounded creative" in your pscyhe and free you to begin living more authentically. "Creativity" does not just mean "the arts". It means being free to follow your own inklings and inspirations daily, in large and simple ways. Creativity helps you interrupt the status quo, break free of confining habits, and give yourself permission to experiment more with your life. Perhaps you'll end up doing something "just because you fee ...more
Angela
May 14, 2015 Angela rated it really liked it
This book was a brilliant read. I have always wanted to read Pinkola Estes but have put it off and now I just want to read all of her books. This short book talks about different tales that represent the pieces of our psyche and how they can work to keep us from our most creative selves. Profound and entertaining, I think this book is a brilliant look into the creative mind.
Murshida Va
Jul 05, 2014 Murshida Va rated it it was amazing
Still of the of finest resources available when working with the process of opening creativity, and awakening awareness of and/or healing the relationship between creativity and addiction.
Eden
May 26, 2011 Eden rated it it was amazing
The Creative Fire is about the cycles of creativity and really so much more.
This audio book is wonderful in every way. I love the way everything is explained and the author's voice is so soothing. You hear hear the excitement and all the emotions in her voice as she was explaining the different cycles and stories. She was also a wonderful storyteller.
I think this is really inspiring for anyone who is creative. I enjoyed listening to it so much and it has really helped me. Like another reviewer
Nicole
Jan 12, 2014 Nicole rated it it was amazing
this woman is other worldly.

how would i review "the creative fire?" phenomenal, genius.

i am officially smitten with both audiobooks (particularly those stories read in such a sacred way!) and clarissa pinkola estes.

and shhhhhh don't tell anyone but i have decided to apprentice myself to her. it is very unofficial, of course ;)

this *particular* set of stories and teachings is very helpful for all artists as well as those already in the process of (or feeling thwarted and desiring to) breathin
Tamara
Jul 25, 2014 Tamara rated it it was amazing
Extremely useful and told in a familiar tone; I can't get enough of this book!
Farzana Marie
Jan 07, 2015 Farzana Marie rated it it was amazing
Listened to this on audio book, read by the author. Glorious!
Lia
I think I was hoping for something a little more concrete with this. While she was trying to "dispel myths of creating," I sometimes found her attempts at dispelling to be discouraging. Almost like she added additional negative energy to some of the ideas, gave them more power. Hm. I really liked the story of the corpse bride. It gave me valuable insight. The other stories didn't so much.
Lisa Shultz
Jan 01, 2014 Lisa Shultz rated it it was amazing
I was given this book on audio and listened while driving. Was so immersed that I would sit in parking lots not wanting to turn it off when I reached a destination. I will listen again soon to soak it all in again!
Amanda
Apr 27, 2012 Amanda rated it it was amazing
I started listening to this as I was preparing a Eostre/Spring Equinox celebration of creativity. I love the way Estes tells stories - her renditions of the Demeter & Persephone tales were very moving for me, as was the story of The Corpse Bride. I will be listening to the series again, to hear what I missed the first time.
Julie
Oct 28, 2015 Julie rated it it was amazing
Great if you get writers block
Andrea
Jul 02, 2013 Andrea rated it liked it
I enjoyed this in audio version. Some nice metaphors that help heal creative blocks. very Fem book. I don't think guys will get blown away by this unless they are in touch with female side :) I think it could have fleshed things out more but it was good.
Redfawn
Jan 31, 2008 Redfawn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: creativity
I'm listening to this for the second or third time. I love anything Clarissa Pinkola Estes publishes and her teachings about creativity through story have given me a better understanding of the natural and unnatural rhythms of creativity.
Michelle
Apr 07, 2015 Michelle rated it it was amazing
An absolute must have addition to your personal library.
Mily
Mar 02, 2008 Mily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
Especially interesting for artists and writers.

Clarissa Pinkola Estes, PhD is BRILLIANT.
I've enjoyed every single book (and audio CD's of her talks)
She is a Junian Analyst and progressive thinker.
Kpc
Oct 12, 2011 Kpc rated it liked it
This was a requirement for my Creativity class. It was really interesting and got me from Grand Rapids to Midland very entertained! (I think it only comes in audio format, fyi)
Torry Fountinhead
Sep 24, 2010 Torry Fountinhead rated it it was amazing
Clarissa Pinkola Estes has done it again. She touched upon that which is sacred and important, in a lovely metaphorical way. We all need courage - and to maintain it.
Natalia
I loved it - I think it is very inspirational for everybody, not just people who want to write, or paint.
I will always keep it on my front bookshelf.
Renee Sweet
Aug 14, 2010 Renee Sweet rated it it was amazing
Every creative person should listen to these CDs. If I was rich, I would send them to every writer and artist I know.

Seriously...life changing.
Valerie
This is one of the most powerful creative tools!! I can listen to it over and over. A true "must" for artists.
Jody
Apr 11, 2011 Jody rated it really liked it
Am Listening to this while walking...love it, great voice.
Kate Robertson
Jun 25, 2012 Kate Robertson rated it it was amazing

Loved this. Very inspirational.
David Jardine
David Jardine marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Kitsch Mutante
Kitsch Mutante marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Kaelee Corcoran
Kaelee Corcoran marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Jodi
Jodi marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Asselka
Asselka marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Maia
Maia marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
  • The Language of Archetypes: Discover the Forces That Shape Your Destiny
  • Writing as a Way of Healing: How Telling Our Stories Transforms Our Lives
  • Woman Who Glows in the Dark: A Curandera Reveals Traditional Aztec Secrets of Physical and Spiritual Health
  • SoulCollage: An Intuitive Collage Process for Individuals and Groups
  • The Tarot Handbook
  • The Art of Doing Nothing: Simple Ways to Make Time for Yourself
  • Drawing for the Artistically Undiscovered
  • Enough Already!: Clearing Mental Clutter to Become the Best You
  • The Sneaky Chef: How to Cheat on Your Man (In the Kitchen!): Hiding Healthy Foods in Hearty Meals Any Guy Will Love
  • How to Tell if Your Boyfriend Is the Antichrist
  • Art Heals: How Creativity Cures the Soul
  • Real Simple: Cleaning
901977
An American poet, psychoanalyst and post-trauma specialist who was raised in now nearly vanished oral and ethnic traditions. She is a first-generation American who grew up in a rural village, population 600, near the Great Lakes. Of Mexican mestiza and majority Magyar and minority Swabian tribal heritages, she comes from immigrant and refugee families who could not read or write, or who did so hal ...more
More about Clarissa Pinkola Estés...