Start by marking “Seven-Day Magic (Tales of Magic, #7)” as Want to Read:
Seven-Day Magic (Tales of Magic, #7)

Seven-Day Magic (Tales of Magic #7)

4.12  ·  Rating Details ·  4,215 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews
A seven-day book of magic proves to be fractious for five children, who must learn the book's rules and tame its magic.
Published August 16th 1999 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Seven-Day Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven-Day Magic

Megan Baxter
Feb 03, 2012 Megan Baxter rated it really liked it
Of all the Edward Eager books, this is probably the one I know least well, the one I don't think I first sat down and read until I was an adult - which means, unfortunately, that it missed out on that golden period where I devoured books as a child, reread them ad nauseam, and now carry them forever with me.

In the meantime, you can read the entire
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Jul 25, 2009 Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance rated it really liked it
"The best kind of book," says Barnaby, "is a magic book."

Oh, yes, I thought, nodding, of course.

I remember reading this book when I was a little ten year old girl.
I found Half Magic on the bottom shelf, dusty, almost unread,
and felt like I'd discovered a whole new world. Imagine how sad
I was to find that there were only two more Edward Eager books
in our library, which composed for me the entire extent of my book world!

The book was every bit as good to me as a forty-seven year old
as
Emily
Jan 19, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know I read this as a child, but it must have been only once, because so much of it seemed fresh and new to me. Tommy was enthusiastic, especially at first, because he has lately been really into spotting "references" in books and TV shows (this largely brought about by his current fixation with The Simpsons). So it was exciting to him, that the first magical adventure referenced the Oz books, the second Half Magic and the third the Little House books, all of which he's somewhat familiar wit ...more
Felicity
I loved Edward Eager books as a child, and they're still fun. Seven Day Magic is charming because it's about the magic of books and a bookish sort of magic. Eager certainly is, as Bellow said of writers, "a reader moved to emulation," and this one drips with his love of books. It's sweet, good fun.

That said, when I was a child, I was like Fredericka in this book (actually, I suppose I WAS Fredericka, down to long, funny F name and favorite Oz book) and liked "magic adventure[s], with wizards and
Chana Billet
Jul 18, 2013 Chana Billet rated it really liked it
I finished the last of the Edward Eager books with my kids. We plowed through the seven-book series as a family read-aloud. Each book was better than the next. I am enthralled by the strong, independent characters Eager brings to life. These children are mature, responsible, funny - kids who use their imagination and creativity in useful and engaging ways. I am jealous of the era he paints where unplugged kids grow up in the antithesis of what has become the Nanny State, where free range kids ar ...more
Eowyn
Sep 02, 2013 Eowyn rated it it was amazing
I like all of Edward Eager's books and this is one of my favorites. The five children in the book have magical adventures related to books they love and each one is funny, exciting and charming. I particularly liked the Laura Ingalls Wilder-esque chapter w/Granny, and I also liked that the father of 3 of the kids is a singer/actor and this is offered as a viable career for a dad. : ) A good read aloud that Walt and I book liked more than our last one, "Magic or Not."
Rick Stuckwisch
Mar 24, 2017 Rick Stuckwisch rated it really liked it
I did not find this final Edward Eager book to be quite as charming as the previous six, but it did make for a nice concluding wrap-up to the "series." Lots of literary references, even more so than usual, and some quaint adventures on the part of the five children who serve as the book's protagonists. Certainly a worthwhile read aloud for parents and children to share together.
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
In this last book of the series, a whole new set of characters take center stage for another magical adventure! These children love visiting the library every week and checking out piles of books, and when Susan finds a mysterious old book without a title, she opens it to discover that the book is all about her and her friends making wishes and going on adventures! The children take turns making their wishes on the book with mixed results. Wizards and dragons are not all they seem to be, and whe ...more
Eliza Thomas
Feb 16, 2014 Eliza Thomas rated it liked it
Fantasy

This book was very creative and entertaining. It tells the story of a library book that comes to life when children discover its magic. Whatever they wish for comes true and takes place in the blank pages of the book. It contains elements of fantasy such as magic and dragons.

I would use this book as an interactive read aloud. Students could discuss elements of fantasy and point them out as they discover them in the story. Then students could write their own fantasy story. This is a chapt
Chrisinny
Mar 17, 2014 Chrisinny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
Edward Eager was my favorite series writer when I was growing up -this was one of his books that resonated with me the most. Five children are avowed book worms- they go to the library each Saturday to get new (and old favorite) books to check out. One nondescript book, only available as a 7 day loan, is checked out and becomes the doorway to magical adventures for the group. I remember wishing very hard that someday some magical talisman would appear and let me experience my own magical adventu ...more
Melody
Sep 10, 2007 Melody rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites! I love the bookishness of the seven-day magic. The self-references are great too- Eager brings up all his other books herein. Or a lot of them. There's even some character crossover. I love how the kids in this book have such definite ideas about how the magic will and will not work. Of course, they're right. And the magical book itself is a delight.

Read Edward Eager, pick any one. You can't go wrong.
Ari
Nov 26, 2014 Ari rated it liked it
I hated this book because it wasn't interesting. I hated it even more because it didn't make sense.
Volkert
May 26, 2017 Volkert rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Five children check out a "seven day book" from the library that grants wishes, send the kids into some hilarious, as well as heartwarming, travels to imaginary places and to other times. The overall theme is that "books are magic." This book grew on me.
Natalie Hart
Feb 03, 2017 Natalie Hart rated it liked it
After reading this story, the best thing is that now I'll be wandering around, imagining which story I'd like to wish myself into.
Charity
May 20, 2013 Charity rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
I just finished reading the last chapter of this book to my kids at lunch today, and I feel a little bit sad that we're done with the series.

I keep looking for more biographical information about Edward Eager (the fact that he was an Ohioan is especially intriguing to me; I kind of collect Ohioans), but there's just not much information out there about him.

At any rate, my children and I loved this book. I think I liked The Time Garden a little better, but the chapter in this one where Grannie go
Ashley
Aug 29, 2014 Ashley rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy

I loved Seven Day Magic so much more than the previous few books! It was a bit different, magical, and magicmore entertaining the some of the other books in the series.

Five children come across a very special book at a library and when they begin to read it they find out that it is about them and everything they had just done. The rest of the book was blank and up to them to fill up! Each child gets his own wish upon the book and the first one ended up being
D.M. Dutcher
Dec 17, 2012 D.M. Dutcher rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s
A really odd book, almost a post-modern one. It spends more time name-dropping and referring to other books than it does making a memorable story.

Even the premise is a riff on Five Children and It, where five kids take turns getting wishes from an unreliable source. In this case, it's a magic book from a library, and it dumps the kids into adventures vaguely reminiscent of other books, when it doesn't simply borrow the characters from one entirely. There's some clever turns to the stories-beware
Beth
Dec 21, 2013 Beth rated it it was amazing
I adored this one, then and now. It's a madcap adventure story based around books and fantasy storytelling, and it's utterly charming. There are discussions as to what sorts of magic stories are best! How adults could better write for children! Returning library books late! One-room schoolhouses during blizzards! Household remedies for dragon threats! Flying! I also thought it was one of Eager's clearest homages to E. Nesbit - particularly the bit about being thwarted by magic.

There are also mo
Hamster
My least favorite yet. A lack-luster conclusion to a mediocre series. Just read Half-Magic and be done with it.
Elizabeth
Dec 16, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Adriana and I both enjoyed this story of bookish magic, although not as much as Half Magic. Five children check out a magic book from the library and slowly uncover the rules of it. The children go off to Oz, meet up with the little girl from the end of Half Magic, and have a Little House on the Prairie sort of adventure. It was nice that Adriana actually has heard all those stories. The language was sometimes a little beyond Adriana, but I think that's good for her, and she does seem to be able ...more
Waffle
Sep 30, 2012 Waffle rated it it was amazing
I read Half-Magic this summer, and, similarly, this was a fantastic little story of a group of friends and siblings that have magical adventures. Like Half-Magic, I love that the magic doesn't always work the way they want it to; it's a great lesson in being careful what you wish for and that power is dangerous and must be dealt with carefully. Each wish may create it's own separate magical adventure, but the story as a whole drives at one solid point. Though the magical plotline is all fantasy, ...more
Celeste
Jan 24, 2012 Celeste rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, re-read
This is the only book of the series that I'm pretty sure I've never read before. For some reason we didn't have it when I was little and I guess I never got it from the library or anywhere else (which is weird), though I remember there being an excerpt from it in our reading textbook when I was in elementary school.

Because I didn't read it as a child, it doesn't carry the same nostalgia as the others in the series for me, but it's still great, and a wonderful ending to the series as well, leavi
Gabriel C.
Nov 20, 2015 Gabriel C. rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
A little too self-indulgent for me. I liked the main conflict and resolution (albeit it was too pat), but the episodic nature of the magic cramped things a bit too much---it would have been nicer to get more development. Maybe I wish this thing were the length of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. I'll definitely go looking for E. Nesbit now. I could use a little of this kind of magical thinking these days.
Sheida Yazhary
Jul 24, 2014 Sheida Yazhary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, kids
I absolutely loved it!!!!
How enticing and magical to read the book of life, your own life, and all it's magic!!!
I just happened by this book at a friends house. Not familiar with the writer or anything about this book series, or that it even was a series!!
Then a month later, another book caught my eye that had a term from this book, one I hadn't run across before: half magic!!!
So of course I got it, got home, and sure enough, same author!!! Well then I looked it up and found out a little about i
Kelsi
Sep 18, 2008 Kelsi rated it really liked it
I still love Edgar Eager...not least because he's a shameless fan of E. Nesbit and Frank L. Baum, whom I also loved when I was eleven or so. A book about book love, as this one features the five children finding a book that becomes a story about them...and which allows them to have some part in elements of their favorite stories. (Dragons! The wizard of Oz! A blizzard on the prairie!) I seem to remember Knight's Castle doing this insertion a bit better, but it was nonetheless magnificent fun.
Chicklet
Sep 13, 2007 Chicklet rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who loves to read
Shelves: classics, fantasy, 5-star
These kids are in search of a good magic book. Not one that has magic in the title but ends up being about the magic of friendship. A book about magical things happening... And then they find it - and the book ends up being about them.
This final Eager book is one of my favorites.
Don't stop here...those E. Nesbit books the children are always just finishing in the first chapter of each of Eager's books? They're real books. Eager wrote when he couldn't find anymore good magic books like Nesbit'
Arwen
Sep 16, 2011 Arwen rated it it was amazing
I love the Edward Eager YA books. As it says on the back of the book, “All books are magic, but some are more magical than others.” They are innocent, fun, and really make you remember a time when children were children, and didn’t spend their lives connected to a screen. After checking out an old book from the library Susan and her friends find that it’s about them. Only the last few pages are blank, ready to be filled with wishes.
Piper
Oct 14, 2008 Piper rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any child that likes fantasy
I'm still reading it but Seven Day Magic is a good book if you want to be cheered up. If you have read this book you will also like books like Half Magic, well Wishers and others by Edward Eager. This book and most of Edward Eager's books are about ordinary children who find ordinary objects that turn out to be magic. With these objects the children have fun by meeting new someones and "somethings". It is a great children's book that is lively, happy, and full of advebture.
Josephine
Jul 23, 2011 Josephine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Not quite as crazy about this one as about Half Magic and Magic by the Lake, but I do quite like the idea of a magic book, not to mention the librarian who clearly knows the deal with that particular book!
Steve
Jan 03, 2014 Steve rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, reality
Typically wonderful Eager book, filled with interesting dialog, ornery but lovable kids, and references to the canon of children's literature that Nesbit launched. Falls neatly into what I call "real fantasy" - there's magic, of course, but the appeal of the book is the very real people and their lives.
What's The Name o...: Children's book, story within a story? [s] 5 72 Nov 22, 2013 03:24PM
  • The Magic City
  • The Diamond in the Window (Hall Family Chronicles, #1)
  • The Witch Family
  • Treasure of Green Knowe (Green Knowe, #2)
  • Cold Shoulder Road (The Wolves Chronicles, #9)
  • Black and Blue Magic
  • The Four-Story Mistake (The Melendy Family, #2)
  • Mary Poppins in the Park (Mary Poppins, #4)
  • Time at the Top
Eager was born in and grew up in Toledo, Ohio and attended Harvard University class of 1935. After graduation, he moved to New York City, where he lived for 14 years before moving to Connecticut. He married Jane Eberly in 1938 and they had a son, Fritz.

Eager was a childhood fan of L. Frank Baum's Oz series, and started writing children's books when he could not find stories he wanted to read to h
More about Edward Eager...

Tales of Magic (7 books)
  • Half Magic (Tales of Magic, #1)
  • Knight's Castle (Tales of Magic, #2)
  • Magic by the Lake (Tales of Magic, #3)
  • The Time Garden (Tales of Magic, #4)
  • Magic or Not? (Tales of Magic, #5)
  • The Well-Wishers (Tales of Magic, #6)

“The best kind of book," said Barnaby, "is a magic book."

"Naturally," said John.”