Start by marking “Icefire” as Want to Read:
Icefire

Icefire (Icefire #1)

"The most destructive natural disaster in history isn't "natural...."THE PLACE

Antarctica. The Ross Ice Shelf. A floating slab of solid ice the size of France, more than 3,000 feet thick.

THE EVENT

On Thanksgiving weekend, six precisely placed nuclear warheads buried 2,000 feet beneath the ice detonate in sequence, shearing the Ross Shelf from the underwater rises that anchor
Published May 1st 1999 by Pocket Books (first published July 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Icefire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Icefire

Jennie Leigh
Nov 14, 2014 Jennie Leigh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

This is one of my favorite reads. I picked it up years ago, possibly from a bookshop in the airport before boarding a plane. I can't remember for sure. All I know is that I loved it. It felt so immensely real to me, so entirely possible even back then. I have re-read it a couple of times through the years and am contemplating going through it again. The action takes off from the very start and never slows down. I loved it so much that I convinced my husband to read it, too. We've both read the s

Christopher Obert
Mar 23, 2010 Christopher Obert rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2010
This was a great book! I really enjoyed it. The action was fast and exciting, the characters were intriguing and realistic, and the plot terrifying in its real world possibilities. I never wanted to put the book down because each chapter ended with me wanting to see what happen next. I also loved the technology in this book. The tech aspect of the novel was not too deep and futuristic but played along nicely with the real world background needed for a story of this kind. It makes me wonder just ...more
Judith
May 04, 2011 Judith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: exciting
EXCELLENT!!! Very fast paced, interesting, hi tech. Very believeable, terrorists cause a massive tsunami in the pacific ocean. When the tsunami hit Japan recently this story came right back to me, and its been over 10 years since I read it.
Robbie Martin
Jul 07, 2008 Robbie Martin rated it it was amazing
Icefire was, by far, one of the best books I've ever read along the lines of nuclear weaponry on a global scale. I can remember in highschool reading this book and never once paying any attention to what I was supposed to be learning.
Brock Weller
Nov 27, 2016 Brock Weller rated it really liked it
I remember this book well, having read it in high school back in 2000. I was of the right age to be super into the techno-thriller genre (which this book is, and very unapologetically). I did and still consider it to be one of the best examples of the genre. The genre no longer holds the same appeal for me as I've aged and probably wouldn't enjoy this book if I were to read it for the first time now, but if this style is what you like, this is a book you'll devour.
Karen
Jun 22, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book although I think it would have been much better just concentrating more of the antagonism between Webber and Cory and the people at Cheyenne Mountain. Abbott was a useless character and I really disliked that it seemed like his parts of the book intruded on the flow of the storyline and the build up. It would be a very scary scenario if Icefire actually happened.
Monique
Aug 14, 2014 Monique rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Interesting story, if somewhat cliched, about a tidal wave that gets generated by a nuclean explosion. You get the science, the suspense, the love interest, the bad guys and the good guys.

A summer read.
Tim
Aug 09, 2009 Tim rated it really liked it
Very suspenseful book based on actual science. Too much description about weapons, ship, and airplanes for me. And the end sort of petered out leaving wave, deaths, politics, and romance just floating.
Brandon Jensen
Jan 15, 2009 Brandon Jensen rated it really liked it
The topic of Antarctica is fascinating. I would recommend this to reader who like Tom Clancy novels. If, and a really big if, terrorist could get a hold of nukes and blow up the Ross ice shelf, this is what could happen.
Della Wilson
May 25, 2012 Della Wilson rated it liked it
Didn't keep my interest. Too much detail on the different kinds of aircrafts that the main character get to fly. Ending seemed too quick compared to the setup of the story.
Michael Muller
Jul 19, 2011 Michael Muller rated it it was ok
like reading an action movie. still, quite entertaining and an easy read. save for beach/airplane.
Edward H. Busse, III
Dec 02, 2011 Edward H. Busse, III rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-owned
An excellent book - very large in it's scope and very, very exciting. Technically believable and very, very terrifying in it's scale.
Derek Oz
Jan 16, 2013 Derek Oz rated it it was ok
I bought this book at an airport in amsterdam because I was bored and it was alright. I fell asleep reading it waiting for a flight and my cell phone was stolen. They left the book....
Sara Elkin
Oct 02, 2007 Sara Elkin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
This is an action/adventure book... a guilty pleasure, page-turner, science fiction book that I couldn't put down. It is also one of my husband's favorites (and one of the few books we both like).
Lois
Mar 05, 2010 Lois rated it it was amazing
Fascinating melange of Antarctica info, oceanography, high-tech weapons, military workings, and likable characters. I found this a ne plus ultra page-turner.
Lee Old
Lee Old rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2016
Mikey24
Mikey24 rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2012
Gary
Gary rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2016
Moethedog
Moethedog rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2012
Tj
Tj rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2012
Carla Hurley
Carla Hurley rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2013
Quinnscribe
Quinnscribe rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2010
Tim Wilkes
Tim Wilkes rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2013
Chance
Chance rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2012
Jason Dorsey
Jason Dorsey rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2015
Linda Phillips
Linda Phillips rated it it was ok
Dec 11, 2015
Dustin
Dustin rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2010
Phu Nguyen
Phu Nguyen rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2015
Aaron
Aaron rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2012
Brice Murray
Brice Murray rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2012
  • The Tenth Planet (The Tenth Planet #1)
  • Ill Wind
  • Blackout
  • Rogue Wave
  • Instinct (Chess Team Adventure, #2)
  • The Einstein Papers (John Taft, #1)
  • The Last Gasp
  • Wingman  (Wingman, #1)
  • The Scarlatti Inheritance / The Osterman Weekend / The Matlock Paper / The Gemini Contenders
  • Crossroad
  • Armageddon 2419 A.D.
  • Dust
  • Home Is the Hunter
  • Dark Rising (Alex Hunter, #2)
  • Some of the Best From Tor.com, 2013 Edition
  • Game, Set, Match, (Bernard Samson, #1-3)
  • Nature's End