Start by marking “Icefire” as Want to Read:
Icefire

Icefire (Icefire #1)

"The most destructive natural disaster in history isn't "natural...."THE PLACE

Antarctica. The Ross Ice Shelf. A floating slab of solid ice the size of France, more than 3,000 feet thick.

THE EVENT

On Thanksgiving weekend, six precisely placed nuclear warheads buried 2,000 feet beneath the ice detonate in sequence, shearing the Ross Shelf from the underwater rises that anchor
Published May 1st 1999 by Pocket Books (first published July 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Icefire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Icefire

Jennie Leigh
Nov 14, 2014 Jennie Leigh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

This is one of my favorite reads. I picked it up years ago, possibly from a bookshop in the airport before boarding a plane. I can't remember for sure. All I know is that I loved it. It felt so immensely real to me, so entirely possible even back then. I have re-read it a couple of times through the years and am contemplating going through it again. The action takes off from the very start and never slows down. I loved it so much that I convinced my husband to read it, too. We've both read the s

Christopher Obert
Mar 23, 2010 Christopher Obert rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2010
This was a great book! I really enjoyed it. The action was fast and exciting, the characters were intriguing and realistic, and the plot terrifying in its real world possibilities. I never wanted to put the book down because each chapter ended with me wanting to see what happen next. I also loved the technology in this book. The tech aspect of the novel was not too deep and futuristic but played along nicely with the real world background needed for a story of this kind. It makes me wonder just ...more
Judith
May 04, 2011 Judith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: exciting
EXCELLENT!!! Very fast paced, interesting, hi tech. Very believeable, terrorists cause a massive tsunami in the pacific ocean. When the tsunami hit Japan recently this story came right back to me, and its been over 10 years since I read it.
Robbie Martin
Jul 07, 2008 Robbie Martin rated it it was amazing
Icefire was, by far, one of the best books I've ever read along the lines of nuclear weaponry on a global scale. I can remember in highschool reading this book and never once paying any attention to what I was supposed to be learning.
Karen
Jun 22, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book although I think it would have been much better just concentrating more of the antagonism between Webber and Cory and the people at Cheyenne Mountain. Abbott was a useless character and I really disliked that it seemed like his parts of the book intruded on the flow of the storyline and the build up. It would be a very scary scenario if Icefire actually happened.
Monique
Aug 14, 2014 Monique rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Interesting story, if somewhat cliched, about a tidal wave that gets generated by a nuclean explosion. You get the science, the suspense, the love interest, the bad guys and the good guys.

A summer read.
Mary
Oct 16, 2015 Mary rated it did not like it
Too technical and too much cursing for me...
Michelle Hanson
Sep 10, 2016 Michelle Hanson rated it it was amazing
Really good book.. will keep you on the edge of your seats..
Brandon Jensen
Jan 15, 2009 Brandon Jensen rated it really liked it
The topic of Antarctica is fascinating. I would recommend this to reader who like Tom Clancy novels. If, and a really big if, terrorist could get a hold of nukes and blow up the Ross ice shelf, this is what could happen.
Tim
Aug 09, 2009 Tim rated it really liked it
Very suspenseful book based on actual science. Too much description about weapons, ship, and airplanes for me. And the end sort of petered out leaving wave, deaths, politics, and romance just floating.
Sara Elkin
Oct 02, 2007 Sara Elkin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
This is an action/adventure book... a guilty pleasure, page-turner, science fiction book that I couldn't put down. It is also one of my husband's favorites (and one of the few books we both like).
Derek Oz
Jan 16, 2013 Derek Oz rated it it was ok
I bought this book at an airport in amsterdam because I was bored and it was alright. I fell asleep reading it waiting for a flight and my cell phone was stolen. They left the book....
Della Wilson
May 25, 2012 Della Wilson rated it liked it
Didn't keep my interest. Too much detail on the different kinds of aircrafts that the main character get to fly. Ending seemed too quick compared to the setup of the story.
Lois
Mar 05, 2010 Lois rated it it was amazing
Fascinating melange of Antarctica info, oceanography, high-tech weapons, military workings, and likable characters. I found this a ne plus ultra page-turner.
Edward H. Busse, III
Dec 02, 2011 Edward H. Busse, III rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-owned
An excellent book - very large in it's scope and very, very exciting. Technically believable and very, very terrifying in it's scale.
Michael Muller
Jul 19, 2011 Michael Muller rated it it was ok
like reading an action movie. still, quite entertaining and an easy read. save for beach/airplane.
B. Barrow
Nov 15, 2011 B. Barrow rated it really liked it
Good read. Enjoyed the setting, the military aspect and the thought that the story was believable.
Marisa
Dec 10, 2007 Marisa rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Adventure
One of my husbands favorites...I thought it was pretty good too
Robert Lewter
Aug 02, 2012 Robert Lewter rated it it was amazing
Absolutely great.
PJ
Oct 10, 2008 PJ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bests
best
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Vonda
Vonda rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2016
Will44
Will44 rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2016
M Lewicki
M Lewicki marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Shanna_redwind
Shanna_redwind marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Anthony Tew
Anthony Tew marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Ana Vicente
Ana Vicente marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Danita L Twedt
Danita L Twedt rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2016
Sarah Beard
Sarah Beard marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
anita. hendrix
anita. hendrix marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
  • The Tenth Planet (The Tenth Planet #1)
  • Ill Wind
  • Blackout
  • Rogue Wave
  • Instinct (Chess Team Adventure, #2)
  • The Einstein Papers (John Taft, #1)
  • The Last Gasp
  • Wingman  (Wingman, #1)
  • The Scarlatti Inheritance / The Osterman Weekend / The Matlock Paper / The Gemini Contenders
  • Crossroad
  • Armageddon 2419 A.D.
  • Dust
  • Home Is the Hunter
  • Dark Rising (Alex Hunter, #2)
  • Some of the Best From Tor.com, 2013 Edition
  • Game, Set, Match, (Bernard Samson, #1-3)
  • Nature's End