Start by marking “Run Silent Run Deep” as Want to Read:
Run Silent Run Deep

Run Silent Run Deep

4.12  ·  Rating Details ·  2,788 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
An American equivalent of Das Boot, this gripping, bestselling novel of submarine warfare inspired a well-known Hollywood film starring Burt Lancaster and Clark Gable. Set in the aftermath of the attack on Pearl Harbor, the tension-filled story focuses on an American submarine captain given orders to destroy Japanese shipping in the Pacific. At first his missions go well, ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Cassell (first published March 1955)

To ask other readers questions about Run Silent Run Deep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Run Silent Run Deep

The Book Thief by Markus ZusakCatch-22 by Joseph HellerSlaughterhouse-Five by Kurt VonnegutAtonement by Ian McEwanThe Winds of War by Herman Wouk
World War II Fiction
59th out of 789 books — 1,325 voters
The Cruel Sea by Nicholas MonsarratHMS Ulysses by Alistair MacLeanRun Silent Run Deep by Edward L. BeachMaster and Commander by Patrick O'BrianHoratio Hornblower 1 - 11. by C.S. Forester
War at Sea (Fiction)
3rd out of 81 books — 31 voters

More lists with this book...

Richard Fuller
Jan 29, 2011 Richard Fuller rated it it was amazing
I read this book in high school. ( A L-o-n-g time ago ) This book started it all....the exploits of Sam Dealey, Morton, Gano, O'Kane.....the ships, Trigger, Wahoo, Harder. From this book forward, I was hooked on warships. First were the subs, after that came the Battleships..then cruisers, and finally ending up with DesRon23 and Arleigh Burke. I was the only kid at my high school who could rattle of the entire fleet that attacked Pearl Harbor! While that may be a dubious distinction, the love of ...more
Colin Birge
May 31, 2012 Colin Birge rated it it was amazing
Before there was Tom Clancy, there was Commander Edward L. Beach, Jr. If Clancy had studied hard, he might have qualified to change the ink in Beach's pen. Run Silent Run Deep is a classic novel of World War II Pacific theatre submarine warfare. Beach was a WWII submarine veteran himself, and wrote a gripping, plausible thriller about life under the sea and the perils of making war there.

It's a book of its time: women are nearly invisible, the Japanese are insulted when they're not feared, and t
Bill Rogers
Mar 30, 2014 Bill Rogers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite war stories. It was a major best seller when it came out, ten years after World War II. It has a level of authenticity you seldom find in military fiction. It is a submarine book which reads as if it were written by someone who had commanded a submarine in wartime, for an extraordinary reason: It was.

So why isn't this book more widely available? I couldn't find a current paperback or ebook edition at all. The edition I show here is the only one I found. It may still be
Tom Vetter
Mar 26, 2015 Tom Vetter rated it it was amazing
Great book! Read this in submarine school in 1972, and got my copy autographed by Ned Beach way back then. One more reason why I wanted to write someday too!
Grant
May 29, 2014 Grant rated it it was ok
it's been a long time since i read this, but i came across it in the library the other day. it has really bad dialogue. overall you'd have a better time playing a game of "Battleship".
Zora
Dec 30, 2013 Zora rated it did not like it
Shelves: older-than-me
Goodreads suggested I might like this because I liked The Cruel Sea, another WWII naval story told by someone who was there. But this book isn't nearly as good. Less than half of this is about the war, there are long passages that read like technical manuals, and there's no sophistication here or even much thinking about the horror of war. Pearl Harbor happens and no one in the novel really thinks about the details, has any empathy for the drowned and burned sailors, or thinks politically about ...more
Jeffo
May 17, 2014 Jeffo rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book, ultimate suspense, very realistic,I cannot say anymore.
Kevin
Jan 03, 2014 Kevin rated it liked it
This is a novel, but it belongs more accurately to the domain of autobiographical war-narratives. It's a fictionalized, idealized portrayal of one man's submarine war experience. The author, Edward Beach, also wrote a memoir: "Submarine!"

In other reviews, the book is criticized for not being philosophical about the horrors of war. There is no doubt that war is horrific. "The Good War" by Studs Terkel is a Pulitzer Prize winning account of WWII that takes a high level approach of documenting all
Kelly
Dec 19, 2010 Kelly rated it really liked it
I’ve had this book on my shelf for the last two years and I had every intention to read it. I finally got a chance to pick it up a few days ago after slogging through four finals. Even though I was, perhaps, not in the best mental state, I enjoyed reading it.
One of my favorite things to read about for years and for which I still have a soft spot is submarines during World War II. Of course, the most famous and most storied of these are the German U-boats. I’ve read more things that I can rememb
Doug
Jan 27, 2015 Doug rated it really liked it
I wanted to read this because I liked the movie so much. As it turned out it was pretty hard to find a copy. No library I could find had it and very few used book sellers had it. I did buy a former library copy now withdrawn only to find myself disappointed as I read the first third to half, wishing I hadn't wasted the $14 on it. However, the book picks up in the last half and becomes quite the page-turner. I found it hard to put down. The characterization becomes better (although that's certain ...more
Joe Rodeck
May 29, 2014 Joe Rodeck rated it liked it
On this classic I'm in the minority. The writing is of high quality and obviously authoritative; but this is mostly a cold sub hunt from training drills to the real thing.

The potentially explosive rivalry between officers fades.

Naval settings are endemically prime territory for novelization. But I much prefer C. S. Forester, the master; and Richard Woodman. The Brits win this battle.
John
Feb 15, 2015 John rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-fiction
I enjoyed Beach's book, "Submarine" and gave it a good rating. Perhaps Beach should have stuck to non-fiction. This is probably the most overrated novel of the WWII era. The attempt at relationships and romance are stilted and amateurish. The main plot - the skipper's personal war with "Bungo Pete" also strains credulity and was not really all that interesting.
Pamela
Apr 07, 2015 Pamela rated it really liked it
There was a lot of information about submarines and the real action didn't start until about half way through the book, but it kept me reading in the first part of the book and then I couldn't put it down the last half.
It was a huge difference fighting in World War II with submarines, than it became with the advent of nuclear powered subs, that truly can "run silent, run deep."
Ron
Nov 16, 2014 Ron rated it liked it
This is one of the great classics of naval warfare written by a man who had 'been there, done that.' While the authenticity of the account is beyond question, the writing and story line are a bit clumsy at times (thus the three stars.) Very good read though.
Ed Gray
May 01, 2014 Ed Gray rated it really liked it
I should recuse myself since Ned Beach was a great and close friend of my father, also a submarine officer who made five combat war patrols in the Pacific in WWII.
But the hell with that -- this is a really good, dead-on realistic, gripping book.
Malek
Jul 19, 2009 Malek rated it really liked it
I really loved this book, mostly because of the way he brought home the experience of a submariner in WWII. The captain is not an overly heroic figure, makes mistakes, has weaknesses, and gets hurt several times. But overall he is competent, makes good decisions, and makes his mark in a tough war. So I found it fairly balanced. The transition from nitty-gritty to romantic prose and back is sometimes not that smooth, but otherwise well written. The author was an actual WWII sub skipper and so the ...more
MuffinManNick Lemp
Nov 19, 2007 MuffinManNick Lemp rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any one who likes world war 2 stories
In this story an american captian of a submarine tells his story of how he got the medal of honnor. The main charaters are Rich(the captian), Jim, and the other officers and crew of the submarine. In this story they are sent to area seven on patrol off the Japanese coast and are told to sink all merchant ships.

Im not going to ruin this story so the last thing Ill say is that the main enemy besides Japan in the book is a Japanese destroyer captian who seems to know the names of all the subs he a
Keith
Feb 07, 2016 Keith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been a long time since I read this fine war novel. An enjoyable book.
Curtis Taylor
Jan 18, 2016 Curtis Taylor rated it it was amazing
Reading about the history of those who went before you is a great experience. To read about those battle while you yourself are cruising through those same waters as you are heading into harms way was an awesome encouragement. My Father served on submarines while he was in the Navy. To read Skipper Beach's stories is to understand more of what my Dad went through. Skipper Beach is an Outstanding Author and a great American Hero. To read his stories is in fact, an honor.
Eric
Feb 05, 2014 Eric rated it it was amazing
I read this years ago. A great tale and an even better movie.
Brian Rueger
Aug 19, 2014 Brian Rueger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: war
Probably one of the first war novels I read.
Ron
One of the first books I read.
D
Jan 09, 2012 D rated it liked it
Although the story is fictional, the book offers a realistic depiction of submarine combat in the Pacific theater during WWII. It is chiefly the detailed portrayal of life aboard a submarine, inspired by the author's actual experiences, that make this a book worthy of reading. The writing is less than great at times, and certain portions of the novel suffer from awkward pacing, but otherwise, the author excels at describing both the slow and boring, as well as the tense and dangerous moments in ...more
Carolyn
Apr 07, 2010 Carolyn rated it it was amazing
I learned more respect for the submarine warfare of World War II, even with radar, they were really exposed out there. A tense, drama about life onboard a submarine hunting for the enemy off the coast of Japan. Well written, and it kept my attention. A very unlikely book for me, but necessary to help understand the risks men had to take when technology and radr was fairly new. Brave souls.
Michael Niccum
May 17, 2014 Michael Niccum rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics, navy
This novel is a masterful warship thriller.
Brian
Oct 12, 2009 Brian rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
A fun read. Really shows what it was like for a submariner in World War II. The cat and mouse game between the submarine and the ships it must either destroy or evade. I thought the love story sub-plot was a little heavy handed and probably unnecessary. Now I am going to rent the movie. The cast of the movie is amazing, with Clark Gable playing the lead. Wow.
Tim
Jan 13, 2014 Tim rated it really liked it
Really good war novel. My boss told me about this book and it didn't disappoint.
Aaron Meyer
Nov 20, 2010 Aaron Meyer rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Not a bad book for those people who are into the history and / or stories about submarines in combat. The beginning of the book is slow in my opinion but once they get into the Pacific it is on! I must admit that 2/3 of the way through the book I guessed exactly how it would end but never guessed how dramatic it would be. Well worth the time to read it.
Andrew Levy
Jan 31, 2010 Andrew Levy rated it really liked it
This book happens to hold a special place on my bookshelf, since its author was present at my boot camp graduation. My mother met him at the reception prior to and actually had the nerve to "blame" him for my joining the Navy. I would have liked to see the captain's reaction. She was probably right by the way.
Joyce
Jul 18, 2016 Joyce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I borrowed the 1983 edition (there are many editions of this 1955 book) via the Racine library.
This is a classic of U.S. Naval Literature. It is fiction, and it is excellent!
Submarines in the Pacific following Pearl harbor. Begins in New London, Connecticut.
  • Das Boot
  • Iron Coffins: A Personal Account of the German U-boat Battles of World War II
  • The Good Shepherd
  • Clear the Bridge!: The War Patrols of the U.S.S. Tang
  • The Sand Pebbles
  • Hostile Waters
  • The Cruel Sea
  • Rising Tide: The Untold Story Of The Russian Submarines That Fought The Cold War
  • Silent Victory: The U.S. Submarine War Against Japan
  • Stalking the Red Bear: The True Story of a U.S. Cold War Submarine's Covert Operations Against the Soviet Union
  • The Captain
  • Cross of Iron
  • The Bridges at Toko-ri
  • Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo
  • Silent Running
  • The Bridge Over the River Kwai
  • The War Below: The Story of Three Submarines That Battled Japan
  • Big Red: Three Months on Board a Trident Nuclear Submarine
Edward Latimer Beach, Jr. was a highly-decorated United States Navy submarine officer and best-selling author.

During World War II, he participated in the Battle of Midway and 12 combat patrols, earning 10 decorations for gallantry, including the Navy Cross. After the war, he served as the naval aide to the President of the United States and commanded the first submerged circumnavigation.

After Worl
More about Edward L. Beach...