Start by marking “The Arnold Lobel Book of Mother Goose: A Treasury of More Than 300 Classic Nursery Rhymes” as Want to Read:

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  188 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Knopf is proud to reissue the complete and unabridged Arnold Lobel-illustrated treasury of Mother Goose rhymes, originally published in 1986 as The Random House Book of Mother Goose and unavailable for several years. Reviewers were unanimous in their acclaim of a collection "brimming over with energy...distinguished by abundant humor and a rich variety of moods and styles" ...more
Published February 11th 2003 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Arnold Lobel Book of Mother Goose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Arnold Lobel Book of Mother Goose

My Father's Dragon by Ruth Stiles GannettThe Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler WarnerThe Story of Doctor Dolittle by Hugh LoftingThe House at Pooh Corner by A.A. MilneLeast of All by Carol Purdy
Sonlight Core A read alouds
6th out of 27 books — 7 voters
A Grain of Rice by Helena Clare PittmanAdventures with Waffles by Maria ParrBeezus and Ramona by Beverly ClearyCapyboppy by Bill PeetDolphin Adventure by Wayne Grover
Sonlight Read Alouds A 2016
19th out of 26 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Caitlin
Nov 06, 2012 Caitlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Random House Book of Mother Goose, selected and illustrated by Arnold Lobel. (Random House, 1986). 173 p. Mother Goose picture book.

Summary: Arnold Lobel selects over 300 nursery rhymes, both familiar and obscure. He creates a unique illustration for each one, no matter how short or how long.

Critique: a) Lobel’s unique take on these traditional nursery rhymes is found in his exhaustive collection of illustrations. Ranging from tiny framed drawings, to full-sleeve pictures, Lobel’s pencil an
Lacey Luce
The Arnold Lobel Book of Mother Goose
By Arnold Lobel
Lobel, A. (1986). The arnold lobel book of mother goose. New York: Random House.

1. Mother Goose Picture Book

2. This book contains all of Mother Goose nursery rhymes. There are over 306 timeless collections. It includes many well-known favorites with some other that might be new to you! Each rhyme is illustrated with a great style and humor.

3. Illustrations

b. The illustrations for this book are wonderfully drawn, and there is one for each nurs
Mae
Nov 11, 2012 Mae rated it really liked it
Summary: This is a comprehensive book of Mother Goose Rhymes that includes popular poems like "Humpty Dumpty" and more obscure ones like "I Love Coffee". They are indexed by subject.

Critique: Humor. It is easy to see why this book won the Caldecott Medal for Illustrations. The poems alone range from interesting to scary, but without the illustrations, they would remain so.

Example: For example, "Mary, Mary Quite Contrary" is illustrated very literately with little maids sprouting all in a row. I
Brittany
Nov 27, 2012 Brittany rated it really liked it
Edited and illustrated by Arnold lobel, 173 pages

Summary: this Caldecott winner is a collection of familiar and traditional mother goose tales, with the illustrations and rhymes humorously connected.

Critique:

A) illustrative style
B) lobel uses a traditional, yet humorous style in order to describe and convey what each nursery rhyme is portraying. The reader will be able to see that the illustrations are completely balanced with the text.
C) specifically, on page 17 , Lobel illustrates the familia
Rebecca Thomas
Dec 10, 2012 Rebecca Thomas rated it liked it
1.) Genre- Mother Goose Picture Book

2.) Summary- This book is a collection of Mother Goose nursery rhymes.

3.)a.) Area of focus- Illustrations

3.)b.) The illustrations are really what sets this Mother Goose book apart from others. Every page is covered with detailed and carefully construed pictures to help readers understand the rhymes.

3.)c.) The examples of illustrations for this book are endless, but page 42 represents the rhyme of: Mary, Mary, quite contrary. Here the reader can easily see the
Ariel Russell
Feb 23, 2014 Ariel Russell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lib-642
The genre for the book is poetry and the intended age range is elementary school.

This book is a collection of Mother Goose nursery rhymes.

Nursery rhymes can be used for rhythm and patterns in words.

The book is wonderful to read to kids, especially at night time before bed.

The cover of the book and the illustrations allow the reader to get an understanding of the nursery rhyme itself.
Lisa Carroll
Feb 18, 2011 Lisa Carroll rated it liked it
I am a fan of Arnold Lobel, but I didn't care for this version of Mother Goose. There was a wonderful variety of rhymes to read. Many were remembered from my own childhood and many I had never heard of before. I didn't enjoy the artwork as much as I thought I would. The colors were too dark and dreary for my taste, especially since some Mother Goose rhymes are on the dark side to begin with. I prefer brighter, more colorful illustrations. I like how the picutes have a vintage tone to them, but i ...more
Emmie
Aug 01, 2016 Emmie rated it really liked it
Really, what can I say about this book? It's Mother Goose and the more I read Mother Goose, the weirder I think it is. This book is fine for a Mother Goose anthology with lots of poems and rhymes to teach from. The pictures are also fun and colorful. The kids really enjoyed reading them and laughing at the absurdity of most of them.

I'll give it 4 stars because my kids liked it and it was a very full book of nursery rhymes, though I personally did not care for it because I don't like this kind o
Heidi
Ahh. More nursery rhymes. Again, some I'm familiar with and yet they were not as I knew them. Quite a few that I have never heard before. Illustrations are much better than Cousins', though there were a couple I was a bit shocked to see there. Is it that I'm not a fan of nursery rhymes, or that I'm just not meant to read the book cover-to-cover. Well, what ever it may be, if I want my children to know/hear nursery rhymes, then they can learn them the same why I did--without pictures.
Ninon
Oct 12, 2014 Ninon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: libraried, 2014
Very beautiful drawings.
Very odd rhymes from time to time..
Rebecca
Feb 14, 2016 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves: sonlight-core-a
We really enjoyed this Mother Goose book.
For one, it is HUGE! Tons of rhymes.
For two, the illustrations are great. A lot of times, you see the picture and it reminds you just how absurd most of these poems are. The pictures also help with context clues for some of the words that aren't used in mainstream English anymore.
My daughter enjoyed recognizing some of the poems from other books we've read.
Nikki
Feb 13, 2011 Nikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-lit
This is a fun version of mother goose. Brought back that feeling of childhood. :) I really enjoyed the illustrations, though they aren't super colorful and not sure how much they would attract kids today. I only read some excerpts, but they were really fun. It's over 100 pages, which makes for a great collection for kids to go back to again and again.
Child960801
This is Mother Goose again, but I didn't even know half of them. And the ones I did know they had extra verses for and stuff.
Amy
Aug 02, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing
A beautiful collection of classic rhymes. Lobel's classic illustrations provide the reader with a feast for the eyes as s/he listens/reads nursery rhymes (both popular and lesser known). A great addition to any personal library - may make a great baby shower gift!
Bree
Dec 19, 2013 Bree rated it it was ok
Notes:
this book is MASSIVE -- heavy and thick
too many rhymes on each page and too many obscure ones for my taste
the only thing I really liked was the art
we prefer Sylvia Long, Blanche Wright or Iona Opie versions
Melissa
Sep 14, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-read-alouds
Finally finished this one with my son! I never get tired of Arnold Lobel's illustrations, they bring back fond memories of childhood. I loved introducing my son to these rhymes, but also the work of Arnold Lobel. :)
Nydia Munoz
this book teaches children rhyming. It also teaches children repetition.

Learning Extension: The children can pick their favorite poem and read it out loud or discuss why they have choose that poem.
Stephanie
Jan 05, 2015 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stephanie by: Sonlight
I really loved the illustrations with this compilation of Mother Goose rhymes. This has been a joy reading with my youngest.
Samantha
This book is full of classic nursery rhymes and poems. It's a good book to read in parts.
Jacob
Jul 14, 2014 Jacob rated it really liked it
I liked this book because I like poems.

this book was read to me by mom.
Corey Klauder
Apr 20, 2016 Corey Klauder rated it it was amazing
Still go back to this book every now and again! So very good!
Amie
Nov 30, 2015 Amie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindergarten, faith
A few rhymes were different from the traditional ones I know.
Beverly
May 27, 2012 Beverly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: j-folklore, j-poetry
a wonderful collection
Holly Richardson
Holly Richardson rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2016
Dizzy
Dizzy added it
Aug 27, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2016
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
MK
MK marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
trinity
trinity marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
  • Egermeier's Bible Story Book
  • The Llama Who Had No Pajama: 100 Favorite Poems
  • The Usborne Book of Living Long Ago (Explainers)
  • Here's a Penny
  • Dolphin Treasure
  • The Light at Tern Rock (Newbery Library, Puffin)
  • No Children, No Pets
  • Stories from Around the World
  • The Oxford Dictionary of Nursery Rhymes
  • Sing a Song of Popcorn: Every Child's Book Of Poems
  • A Child's Book of Art: Great Pictures First Words
Arnold Stark Lobel was a popular American author of children's books. Among his most popular books are those of the Frog and Toad series, and Mouse Soup, which won the Garden State Children's Book Award from the New Jersey Library Association.
More about Arnold Lobel...