The Arnold Lobel Book of Mother Goose: A Treasury of More Than 300 Classic Nursery Rhymes

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Knopf is proud to reissue the complete and unabridged Arnold Lobel-illustrated treasury of Mother Goose rhymes, originally published in 1986 as The Random House Book of Mother Goose and unavailable for several years. Reviewers were unanimous in their acclaim of a collection "brimming over with energy...distinguished by abundant humor and a rich variety of moods and styles"...more
Published February 11th 2003 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Arnold Lobel Book of Mother Goose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Arnold Lobel Book of Mother Goose

Caitlin
The Random House Book of Mother Goose, selected and illustrated by Arnold Lobel. (Random House, 1986). 173 p. Mother Goose picture book.

Summary: Arnold Lobel selects over 300 nursery rhymes, both familiar and obscure. He creates a unique illustration for each one, no matter how short or how long.

Critique: a) Lobel’s unique take on these traditional nursery rhymes is found in his exhaustive collection of illustrations. Ranging from tiny framed drawings, to full-sleeve pictures, Lobel’s pencil an...more
Lacey Luce
The Arnold Lobel Book of Mother Goose
By Arnold Lobel
Lobel, A. (1986). The arnold lobel book of mother goose. New York: Random House.

1. Mother Goose Picture Book

2. This book contains all of Mother Goose nursery rhymes. There are over 306 timeless collections. It includes many well-known favorites with some other that might be new to you! Each rhyme is illustrated with a great style and humor.

3. Illustrations

b. The illustrations for this book are wonderfully drawn, and there is one for each nurs...more
Mae
Summary: This is a comprehensive book of Mother Goose Rhymes that includes popular poems like "Humpty Dumpty" and more obscure ones like "I Love Coffee". They are indexed by subject.

Critique: Humor. It is easy to see why this book won the Caldecott Medal for Illustrations. The poems alone range from interesting to scary, but without the illustrations, they would remain so.

Example: For example, "Mary, Mary Quite Contrary" is illustrated very literately with little maids sprouting all in a row. I...more
Brittany
Edited and illustrated by Arnold lobel, 173 pages

Summary: this Caldecott winner is a collection of familiar and traditional mother goose tales, with the illustrations and rhymes humorously connected.

Critique:

A) illustrative style
B) lobel uses a traditional, yet humorous style in order to describe and convey what each nursery rhyme is portraying. The reader will be able to see that the illustrations are completely balanced with the text.
C) specifically, on page 17 , Lobel illustrates the familia...more
Rebecca Thomas
1.) Genre- Mother Goose Picture Book

2.) Summary- This book is a collection of Mother Goose nursery rhymes.

3.)a.) Area of focus- Illustrations

3.)b.) The illustrations are really what sets this Mother Goose book apart from others. Every page is covered with detailed and carefully construed pictures to help readers understand the rhymes.

3.)c.) The examples of illustrations for this book are endless, but page 42 represents the rhyme of: Mary, Mary, quite contrary. Here the reader can easily see the...more
Ariel Russell
The genre for the book is poetry and the intended age range is elementary school.

This book is a collection of Mother Goose nursery rhymes.

Nursery rhymes can be used for rhythm and patterns in words.

The book is wonderful to read to kids, especially at night time before bed.

The cover of the book and the illustrations allow the reader to get an understanding of the nursery rhyme itself.
Lisa Carroll
I am a fan of Arnold Lobel, but I didn't care for this version of Mother Goose. There was a wonderful variety of rhymes to read. Many were remembered from my own childhood and many I had never heard of before. I didn't enjoy the artwork as much as I thought I would. The colors were too dark and dreary for my taste, especially since some Mother Goose rhymes are on the dark side to begin with. I prefer brighter, more colorful illustrations. I like how the picutes have a vintage tone to them, but i...more
Heidi
Ahh. More nursery rhymes. Again, some I'm familiar with and yet they were not as I knew them. Quite a few that I have never heard before. Illustrations are much better than Cousins', though there were a couple I was a bit shocked to see there. Is it that I'm not a fan of nursery rhymes, or that I'm just not meant to read the book cover-to-cover. Well, what ever it may be, if I want my children to know/hear nursery rhymes, then they can learn them the same why I did--without pictures.
Rebecca
We really enjoyed this Mother Goose book.
For one, it is HUGE! Tons of rhymes.
For two, the illustrations are great. A lot of times, you see the picture and it reminds you just how absurd most of these poems are. The pictures also help with context clues for some of the words that aren't used in mainstream English anymore.
My daughter enjoyed recognizing some of the poems from other books we've read.
Nikki
This is a fun version of mother goose. Brought back that feeling of childhood. :) I really enjoyed the illustrations, though they aren't super colorful and not sure how much they would attract kids today. I only read some excerpts, but they were really fun. It's over 100 pages, which makes for a great collection for kids to go back to again and again.
Child960801
This is Mother Goose again, but I didn't even know half of them. And the ones I did know they had extra verses for and stuff.
Amy
A beautiful collection of classic rhymes. Lobel's classic illustrations provide the reader with a feast for the eyes as s/he listens/reads nursery rhymes (both popular and lesser known). A great addition to any personal library - may make a great baby shower gift!
Bree
Notes:
this book is MASSIVE -- heavy and thick
too many rhymes on each page and too many obscure ones for my taste
the only thing I really liked was the art
we prefer Sylvia Long, Blanche Wright or Iona Opie versions
Nydia Munoz
this book teaches children rhyming. It also teaches children repetition.

Learning Extension: The children can pick their favorite poem and read it out loud or discuss why they have choose that poem.
Samantha
This book is full of classic nursery rhymes and poems. It's a good book to read in parts.
Jacob
I liked this book because I like poems.

this book was read to me by mom.
Beverly
a wonderful collection
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Andrew
Andrew added it
Jul 27, 2014
Cam
Cam added it
Jun 20, 2014
Sarah is currently reading it
Jun 27, 2014
Angie Bergstrom
Angie Bergstrom marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Arnold Stark Lobel was a popular American author of children's books. Among his most popular books are those of the Frog and Toad series, and Mouse Soup, which won the Garden State Children's Book Award from the New Jersey Library Association.
More about Arnold Lobel...
Frog and Toad Are Friends (Frog and Toad, #1) Frog and Toad Together (Frog and Toad, #2) Frog and Toad All Year (Frog and Toad, #3) Days with Frog and Toad (Frog and Toad, #4) The Frog and Toad Treasury: Frog and Toad are Friends/Frog and Toad Together/Frog and Toad All Year  (Frog and Toad #1-3)