Start by marking “Women and Fiction: Stories By and About Women” as Want to Read:
Women and Fiction: Stories By and About Women

Women and Fiction: Stories By and About Women

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  142 ratings  ·  25 reviews
From Kate Chopin’s turn-of-the-century Lousiana, to Gertrude Stein’s war-time Paris, to Alice Walker’s modern-day America, here are twenty-six short stories by the finest women writers of the twentieth century. These well-known and well-loved authors people their stories with vibrant female characters, from all over the world and all walks of life. Separately, each of thes ...more
Published February 1st 2002 by Signet (first published December 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Women and Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Women and Fiction

Agnes Mack
For a person who claims not to like short stories, I've read an awful lot of short story collections this year.

This was by far the best of them. I don't know where I got this book from, but I have definitely known for awhile that I need to read more women authors, especially considering my Philip Roth obsession.

The worst story in this book was easily Miss Furr and Miss Skeene by Gertrude Stein. Here's a sample paragraph :

"To be regularly gay was to do every day the gay that they did every day.
Some of the stories are four stars, most three, and some two. As a collection, it's just average. I got tired of the same types of stories about women. The editor, Susan Cahill, obviously had a vision in mind when she put the anthology together. It's just that I would have liked more variety. I want stories about women who aren't all oppressed in some way, stories where the women are actually happy, stories where mothers enjoy being mothers. I know the collection was published during or just aft ...more
Feb 14, 2008 Lindsay rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: gay interest readers
Shelves: classics
Okay, so I haven't actually read this book. I put it on Good Reads because it was the only anthology that I could find that had the portrait "Miss Furr and Miss Skeene" by Gertrude Stein.

What is amazing about "Miss Furr and Miss Skeene" is that it is really the first text that uses the word "gay" to mean homosexual. Stein was a Lesbian herself, and by using the word "gay" over and over again in this portrait, she transformed the meaning of the word to describe her own sexual orientation.

It was
Helen Hagemann
Some great stories in this anthology: short stories by and about women. Mostly well-known writers like Katharine Mansfield, Flannery O'Connor, Alice Walker, Alice Munro, Joyce Carol Oates, Gertrude Stein, Edith Wharton, Doris Lessing, Virginia Woolf and Kate Chopin. New writers that I have only just discovered are going to lead me to their other works; Grace Paley had me hooked straight away with her first line in An Interest in Life 'My husband gave me a broom one Christmas.'
I studied Alice
I just finished this collection of short stories and they were excellent. Susan Cahill edited the collection and makes it very clear that this book is not about feminism, it is simply stories about the lives of women in many of their roles: mother, daughter, lover, wife, professional, etc. While I found this distinction annoying, particularly because many of the stories clearly illustrate feminist beliefs and principles, the collection is wonderful nonetheless. Many authors are represented here ...more
This is an excellent intro to literature in the form of short stories. It's great because the short stories introduce you to the authors' writing styles, but you're not on the hook for a full length feature. I agree with some of the reviews...the Gertrude Stein piece was my least favorite, and it may be a bit outdated, but these authors and pieces are classic, and excellent for the most part. A sequel with modern pieces would be most appropriate. It definitely introduces the best or most importa ...more
Gabriel González Arouesty
Great collection. Doris Lessing's "To room nineteen", and Joyce Carol Oates' "In the Region of Ice" really touched me. Now I count them as some of my favorite short stories of all time.
An excellent compilation of female authors. The short story format made it easy to get a feel for a writer's style without being overwhelmed. The collection features many women who aren't well known, as well as some women already in the accepted cannon (e.g. Virginia Woolf). It was helpful for discovering some new women with intriguing perspectives. The pink cover and loopy script are a bit kitschy for my taste, but ya win some, ya lose some.
Jenny Yates
This is a great anthology of women’s fiction, with lots of classic work. They range from Kate Chopin’s intense “Story of an Hour” to Alice Walker’s sixties-flavored “Everyday Use”. In between there’s Willa Cather, Edith Wharton, Colette, Virginia Woolf, Eudora Welty, Tillie Olsen, Doris Lessing, Grace Paley, Flannery O’Connor, Margaret Drabble, and more. How could you go wrong?
This is a solid collection, if a bit outdated. The collection also tends to be a bit lopsided, with some really heavy hitters by writers like Flannery O'Connor and some really weak stories that just seem like a waste of pages. However, it might be a good companion to a newer collection of short fiction by women.
Jackie Summers
A wonderful and varied collection showing many aspects and social levels of women. While older stories, many read as they could have be written recently, some stories I found myself skimming, some I just enjoyed but there were a handful that I loved and plan to find more by the authors.
Jun 30, 2008 Suzi is currently reading it
Twenty-six short stories each written by a woman about women. I could relate in various degrees to each woman's experience and perspective. Enabled me to look at myself and realize that I'm not the first to have similar thoughts and experiences that are unique to a woman.
Really great book because it's a reader of women writers. Doris Lessing especially opened my eyes with her writing. The book is a collection of short stories, and each author has a 1-2 page bio prefacing the short story. Great format for reading!
An excellent collection. Eudora Welty and Flannery O'Connor dazzled me. Doris Lessing and I continue to not get along. All in all, this was a good book that I would read again. As it is, I'm taking the noble path and giving it away to a friend.
Initially checked this book out because of Julie Hayden's story which was read by Lorrie Moore in the New Yorker Fiction Podcast. I was very impressed by her story and wanted to read it for my self.
I really enjoyed getting a taste of so many great women authors. This was such an enjoyable read with regards to its being "high literature," but also a beautiful variety.
One of my favorite anthologies of all time - with stories from legendary writers like Kate Chopin, Gertrude Stein, Katherine Anne Porter, Edith Wharton, etc, etc
Short stories are always hard to consume quickly, but this compilation was even more difficult. So many of the stories dealt with tales of the oppressed.
Ms. Chedwick
This is my favorite collection of short stories by women authors. Jean Stubbs amazes with the story Cousin Kevin which is very unusual.
Some of the stories were good but i didn't find them as insipiring as i thought it should....atleast it was like for me ....
Had to read some stories from it for school. Some of them are ok... others are just repetitive in my opinion.
Sophia Ciocca
often difficult, but worth it. Many of these stories will stick with me for quite a while, I believe.
Need inspiration? What better than this book of shorts written by women. Aah.
writings of Roddy DOYLE...PODCAST of "Christmas Eve
Jul 30, 2011 Audrey added it
Sensational collection about women, for women and by women.
Amanda marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Melissa Mitchell
Melissa Mitchell marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Ckr marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2015
  • Great Short Works
  • Great Short Stories by American Women
  • The Seagull Reader: Stories
  • Ravens in the Library: Magic in the Bard's Name
  • Legends 1 (Legends 1, Volume 1of3)
  • Passion and Affect