Start by marking “Nellie Bly: Daredevil, Reporter, Feminist” as Want to Read:
Nellie Bly: Daredevil, Reporter, Feminist

Nellie Bly: Daredevil, Reporter, Feminist

Now in paperback--the acclaimed biography of Nellie Bly, the "thrilling account of a trailblazer" (Pat Morrison, Los Angeles Times Book Review). "Kroeger's biography of Nellie Bly moves at almost as fast a pace as did Bly's remarkable life."--Mindy Spatt, San Francisco Chronicle. Photos & illustrations.
Published March 14th 1995 by Three Rivers Press (first published 1994)

West with the Night by Beryl MarkhamMy Journey to Lhasa by Alexandra David-NéelThe Valleys of the Assassins by Freya StarkStraight on Till Morning by Mary S. LovellEighty Days by Matthew Goodman
Trailblazing Women Adventurers
37th out of 257 books — 119 voters
Eleanor of Aquitaine by Alison WeirThe Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë84, Charing Cross Road by Helene HanffFor the Sake of Elena by Elizabeth  GeorgeDead Man Walking by Helen Prejean
Not on your Nellie
22nd out of 64 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Stacey
Jun 15, 2014 Stacey rated it really liked it
Shelves: history-bio
While the author makes it clear that she has a huge appreciation for Nellie Bly, she isn't blind to Ms. Bly's faults. This is one of the most detailed and clear sited biographies that I've read about America's most famous pioneering female reporter.

Elizabeth "Pink" Cochrane (aka Nellie Bly) saw first hand what happened to women when they had no control over their own lives - they were completely dependent on men, and when those men made disaterous decisions, their wives and children suffered. As
Peter Goodman
Dec 07, 2014 Peter Goodman rated it it was amazing

“Nellie Bly: Daredevil; Reporter; Feminist,” by Brooke Kroeger (Times Books, 1994). Kroeger could have included “industrialist” and “inventor” in that subtitle. Before reading this book, all I knew about Nellie Bly was that it was the name of an amusement park on the water side of the Belt Parkway in Brooklyn, between Coney Island and Fort Hamilton. Turns out that Nellie Bly (born Mary Jane Cochran in 1864) was, on her death in 1922, declared “the best reporter in America” by Arthur Brisbane, wh
Rosemary
Aug 06, 2016 Rosemary rated it it was amazing
When my children were little, we read the Value Tale about Nellie Bly, the intrepid reporter who began her career in the 1880s--going undercover posing as an inmate to expose abuses in a women's insane asylum and then traveling around the world in 72 days (beating the fictional record set in the Jules Verne novel). Brooke Kroeger's biography illuminates these accomplishments and provides a fascinating look at the early years of Bly's life and how her experiences shaped her approach to her varied ...more
Ann
Aug 23, 2011 Ann rated it really liked it
I love reading about unorthodox, adventurous, Victorian-era women and had recently wanted to know more about Nellie Bly.

Kroeger's portrait of Bly is both thorough and balanced. I came away with less respect for Bly than I thought I would, but I learned more about her than I had hoped. I also came away with respect for the author.
Susan
Jul 30, 2009 Susan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who like biographies & books about journalism & pioneering women
Because I like biographies, and books about journalists and pioneering women, this book was perfect for me, plus it was well researched and well written. I would like to own a copy to pass down to my daughters and granddaughters.
Susan
Until recently, my knowledge of Nellie Bly was limited to her 10 days in a mental institution and her race around the world, both stunts she performed for the sake of newspaper articles. Then I read a blurb which listed some of her other accomplishments. Of course in typical fashion, I can't remember where that was, but it prompted me to read a biography to learn more about her.

Kroeger's book is well-written, very well-researched, and full of details, in some cases more than I wanted. Bly seems
Andrea Blythe
Dec 12, 2011 Andrea Blythe rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Nellie Bly was all kinds of awesome and apparently was the basis for the character Lois Lane (according to Sarah Rees Brennan in her blog, which is quite entertaining and inspired me to read more about Nellie). Bly virtually invented and became known for "stunt reporting" in which she would go undercover in dangerous situations and then tell all. For example, she tricked hospital staff into thinking she was insane and then wrote and expose on conditions inside. She accepted the challenge of Jule ...more
Glen Pekin
Jan 12, 2014 Glen Pekin rated it liked it
Shelves: history
I have to recommend this one to anyone interested in newspaper reporting during the 1890's. I thought Ms. Kroeger did a great job researching. The only chapter that flagged was the one on lawsuits but I bet someone interested in the specifics of how bankers could steal companies would find it very interesting. Quite a tale of corporate takeover. The snippets of Bly's writing make one want to look up some of her articles and read them. The remarkable life a young determined lady turning into a st ...more
Janis
Jun 13, 2008 Janis rated it it was ok
Nellie Bly was a daredevil! She feigned insanity to gain admittance to a notorious insane asylum, then wrote about its horrors. She packed a handbag and went around the world in 72 days to best the fictional Jules Verne character's journey. She reported from the eastern front of World War I. She changed the world of journalism almost purely by the force of her very strong nature. I was glad to learn more about this woman who so strongly influenced American opinion in the late-19th/early-20th cen ...more
Lisa
Nellie Bly led quite the life. I found her story to be an interesting read filled with real life adventure, and conflict, and kindness in the end.
Feiya Wang
Sep 20, 2015 Feiya Wang rated it it was ok
Only actually got 33% through. It just wasn't the most engaging book and because I read it for a book club, after the meeting, I'm unmotivated to finish it.
Kaye
Apr 22, 2007 Kaye rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a fairly complete portrait of Nelly Bly (at least in my uneducated opinion), but the chief problem is that Bly did not keep a diary, or many personal records. The result is that the author's portrayal of Bly centers around her news articles and litigation cases, which starts to get a bit old a couple of hundred pages into the book. I find it disappointing when I read about heroes, and read about their reputations being raked through the mud, and there is plenty of that here.
Angela
Nov 05, 2013 Angela rated it it was amazing
This is a well researched book on a fascinating and not well-documented woman. Every young woman should read about her life. She was, as we all are, flawed but a remarkable person for what she accomplished at that time. In my eyes she was a success because she had a very interesting life and you can't get better than that. In the book they describe her winning smile again and again but there is not one photo of her smiling in it. The photos of the time I guess. Too bad.
Diane Heath
Sep 06, 2013 Diane Heath rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
When my oldest son was a boy we had a series of children's books that told "biographies" of famous people. One of them was Nellie Bly. It seemed mostly to tell of her trip around the world in less than 80 days. I found this book at the library and thought I would read it to finally find out more about Nellie Bly (Elizabeth Cochran aka Pink). I am not sure if Nellie Bly is still as well-known but based on the information in this biograpy, she should be.
Abbie
Jul 07, 2008 Abbie rated it liked it
i read this for a biography for a school project, and it was pretty interesting, as she climbed her way up in the world. not content with the traditional role of female reporter, she was one of the first "muckrakers" and became a leading journalist. the problem with the book was it began to drag at the end, when her exploits consisted mostly of business endeavors. but overall, an interesting read.
Emily
Mar 17, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it
"Nellie Bly: Professional Badass" could have been the title. This is an exhaustive biography, sometimes too exhaustive, of a woman who has been predominantly ignored by history. Kroeger's writing is mostly engaging, though it gets dry and perhaps TOO in depth in parts.

This book left me wanting to know more about the lost history of amazing women in the United States.
Rena Glubay
I enjoyed this book even though I didn't finish it. I am amazed that Kroeger was able to generate a 600 page book when there is so few remaining documents about Bly's life. It is a good read but I had read another book that was a higher level summary and found I wasn't as interested in more detail of Bly's life as I thought I would be.
Elaine Hoffer
May 11, 2014 Elaine Hoffer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun read. I read about Nellie Bly in high school and it was fun to reread about her again. She was really a woman before her time - in that she traveled the world and reported on conditions that most people would have ignored. I really enjoyed it and it was fun looking forward to a new chapter in the paper each Monday.
Karen
Feb 22, 2011 Karen rated it it was amazing
Nellie Bly's been a hero of mine since childhood when I read a book of her real life adventures. This was a great find for me years ago, the first real definitive book of her life not geared towards kids.
Wendy
Feb 11, 2008 Wendy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very long, detailed book on Nellie Bly's life. At times I thoroughly enjoyed it, and others it felt a little tedious. I'm glad I finished it, and I definitely know a lot about Nellie Bly.
Jane
Aug 01, 2011 Jane rated it it was amazing
Nellie Bly was truly an extraordinary woman. I read this book in middle school and yet can still recall how impressed I was by her initiative and daring as a journalist.
sean
Nov 29, 2008 sean rated it liked it
I wanted more on the early muckracking stuff--the part about ten days in a madhouse was disappointingly short.
Stephen Goldin
Dec 12, 2010 Stephen Goldin rated it it was amazing
The mosst exhaustively researched book about the life of a true American original.
Alison Stegert
Alison Stegert marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
artofstu
artofstu marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Marisa
Marisa marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Ashe Dryden
Ashe Dryden marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Jean Wetmore
Jean Wetmore marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Ophély Oblet
Ophély Oblet marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
  • Florence Harding: The First Lady, The Jazz Age, And The Death Of America's Most Scandalous President
  • A Being So Gentle: The Frontier Love Story of Rachel and Andrew Jackson
  • Rage for Fame: The Ascent of Clare Boothe Luce
  • A Woman's Crusade: Alice Paul and the Battle for the Ballot
  • Hetty: The Genius and Madness of America's First Female Tycoon
  • Sisters: The Lives of America's Suffragists
  • Other Powers: The Age of Suffrage, Spiritualism, and the Scandalous Victoria Woodhull
  • Jennie: The Life of Lady Randolph Churchill, Vol 1: The Romantic Years 1854-95
  • On Top of the World: Five Women Explorers in Tibet
  • Intimate Enemies: The Two Worlds of Baroness de Pontalba
  • The Lives of Margaret Fuller
  • Elizabeth Cady Stanton: An American Life
  • Bess W. Truman
  • Mary Lincoln's Flannel Pajamas: And Other Stories from the First Ladies' Closet
  • Boss Tweed: The Rise and Fall of the Corrupt Pol Who Conceived the Soul of Modern New York
  • The Roosevelt Women: A Portrait In Five Generations
  • Gertrude Bell: Queen of the Desert, Shaper of Nations
  • The Vanderbilt Women: Dynasty of Wealth, Glamour, and Tragedy

“Determine Right. Decide Fast. Apply Energy. Act with Conviction. Fight to the Finish. Accept the Consequences. Move on.” 0 likes