Start by marking “The Truth About Negotiations” as Want to Read:
The Truth About Negotiations

The Truth About Negotiations

The Truth About Series offers in each book the collected and distilled knowledge on a topic and shows you how you can use this knowledge in your daily life. With an 'aha' on every page, information is presented in a clear and accessible style that the reader can easily reference. Written in short chapters, each book aims to cover an entire field of knowledge, cut to the ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by FT Press

To ask other readers questions about The Truth About Negotiations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Truth About Negotiations

Parcoast
Nov 01, 2013 Parcoast rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, this is a quick read, but unless you have done other reading on the topic of negotiation, I think this is a great introduction to the subject. I have been able to put a number of these principles into action, and feel like I have gotten better results, so it meets the initial smell test.

Were all of the "truths" useful? Not for me. Maybe I don't get all of the final points yet, or maybe I just don't understand how to apply them. At the same time, I don't think I have read yet that is 100% a
Greg Danklef
Easy read and great takeaways. I don't think this could be your only book on negotiation because it doesn't go into enough detail, but it is a solid companion to existing knowledge.
Katie Whichard
Nov 16, 2016 Katie Whichard rated it really liked it
I read this book in its second edition. Although not entirely scientific, I think it offers pragmatic advice for negotiations and I will keep it close on my shelf for quick reference. I would recommend this book to my friends in sales and government.
Luigi
Nov 30, 2013 Luigi rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Much better than the cover suggests, well written, easy to follow and usable as a resource. It doesn't go into great depth, which is possibly a good thing, but there is something in it for everyone who negotiates and as Leigh points out, there are negotiations in every aspect of our lives from who gets to use the bathroom first, to getting a good deal on a TV, buying a house, who goes to the wedding and getting your next job. Ultimately combine some smarts with truth and integrity and you can't ...more
Adam
Dec 20, 2011 Adam rated it liked it
This book, by Kellogg Professor Leigh Thompson presents a quick, concise handbook of 53 negotiation tips. The tips themselves vary from common sense, to "academically" interesting, to valuable reminders. For what it is, (a handbook on negotiation) the book served it's purpose and did so quickly and concisely. My only complaint would be that the physical book should be about 1/2 the number of pages; it is formatted to make it appear more voluminous that it in fact is. That said, I appreciated the ...more
Volkan
Aug 27, 2011 Volkan rated it liked it
Shelves: business
This was the first book I read about negotiations. It starts off with very tactical advice about negotiating. It defines terminology such as "winner's regret" and "BATNA" that are extremely helpful to anyone who tries to buy anything in a market setting, which is practically everyone. Towards the end, it loses steam a bit when it wades into cognitive psychology -- which is relevant but it's better covered elsewhere. All in all, pretty good book.
David
Dec 20, 2012 David rated it liked it
a slightly 2-hr reading on how to proceed to implement a sequential negotiation technique...very sequential as a point to maintain both's platform not to be deviated, ultimately to achieve a possible win/win scenario..other scenarios are also provided...alright to read..
Brandon
Nov 18, 2012 Brandon rated it really liked it

Good introduction to the art of negotiations. There were times when I wanted more details on how to follow the advice, but the references proved to be a great place to go for more information.
Collette
Sep 04, 2014 Collette rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, mba
Very easy read with palatable tips to consider when negotiating. Since reading this book and taking my MBA Negotiations class, I find that I view transactions through a different lens. I look for more win-win situations and I am more willing to speak up.
Fabian Santana
Aug 19, 2015 Fabian Santana rated it did not like it
The -blatantly obvious- truth about negotiations.

I'll spend as little time on this review as not to bore you anymore with it: Pretty useless beating around the bush for a couple hundred pages, then it goes downhill.
Robert
Mar 04, 2009 Robert rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, business, mba
53 chapters go pretty quick when they're 2-3 pages each.

The title is a bit presumptuous, and some of the "truths" were better than others, but overall some good advice for negotiating.
Thomas McGuire
Quick, easy to understand tips. Hopefully I've learned / highlighted enough useful information for upcoming classes.
Bonnie
Jul 01, 2011 Bonnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great truths, some of which I learned the hard way, others very valuable and good to have in my tool box.
Anh Tran
Oct 02, 2015 Anh Tran rated it really liked it
A very decent book! Back to the basic lesson, it is a win-win solution in every situation. It always takes two to tango!
Jen
Nov 22, 2014 Jen rated it liked it
This was a pretty easy read with decent takeaways, but I don't think it could be someone's sole source for information on how to negotiate.
Maen
Mar 15, 2013 Maen rated it liked it
كتاب جيد للمبتدئين يمكن قراءته خلال 3-4 ساعات..يتميز بتنظيم افكاره..يعاب عليه تبسيطه الزائد وايمان الكاتبة بحسن نية الطرف الاخر في معظم الفقرات
Tina
Tina rated it did not like it
Jul 29, 2014
Angela
Angela rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
May 10, 2016
Tom Witman
Tom Witman rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2013
Jakub T
Jakub T rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2014
Corey
Corey rated it really liked it
May 03, 2014
Sarah Sharon
Sarah Sharon rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2015
Mike
Mike rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2014
Mo
Mo rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2016
Joshua Roberts
Joshua Roberts rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2014
Rhea Batislaong
Rhea Batislaong rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2015
Yasmeen
Yasmeen rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2016
Chris Briley
Chris Briley rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2015
Alez
Alez rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Art of Asking: Ask Better Questions, Get Better Answers
  • Presenting to Win: The Art of Telling Your Story
  • The Truth about Getting the Best from People (Truth about)
  • Retirementology: Rethinking the American Dream in a New Economy
  • The Truth About the New Rules of Business Writing (Truth About Series)
  • The Personal Credibility Factor: How to Get It, Keep It, and Get It Back (If You've Lost It)
  • The Truth About Managing People...And Nothing But the Truth
  • Germs, Genes, & Civilization: How Epidemics Shaped Who We Are Today
  • Business and Competitive Analysis: Effective Application of New and Classic Methods
  • Know What You Don't Know: How Great Leaders Prevent Problems Before They Happen
  • Living Organized: Proven Steps for a Clutter-Free and Beautiful Home
  • Living Rich by Spending Smart: How to Get More of What You Really Want
  • Your Credit Score: How to Fix, Improve, and Protect the 3-Digit Number that Shapes Your Financial Future
  • The Lazy Project Manager: How to be Twice as Productive and Still Leave the Office Early
  • Love Yourself And Let The Other Person Have It Your Way
  • Your Brain and Business: The Neuroscience of Great Leaders
  • Ultimate Leadership: Winning Execution Strategies for Your Situation
  • The Simple Dollar: How One Man Wiped Out His Debts and Achieved the Life of His Dreams