The Writer's Guide to Everyday Life from Prohibition Through World War II

The Writer's Guide to Everyday Life from Prohibition Through World War II

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Writers will save hours of valuable research time and bring a richness and historical accuracy to their work as they reference the slice-of-life facts depicted for each of these major time periods. Each book contains descriptions of the period's food and clothes; customs and slang; occupations, common religious and political practices; and other historical details.
Published May 2nd 1996 by Writer's Digest Books (first published September 15th 1995)

Kate
I checked this book out from the library as part of doing research for my Nanowrimo novel, set in 1919. As I understood it, Prohibition began in 1919, so I figured this would at least have some facts about everyday life I could use.

Unfortunately this didn't have much geared toward the everyday facts I needed for my story. This was directed more toward people writing novels about the "Roaring Twenties" and 1930s hard-boiled detective stories. The lists of slang used was stuff like "cat's pajamas"...more
Erin Lancaster
This is an okay reference book for the time period. However, most of the information I found I could find elsewhere. When I read "everyday life," I expected to read about everyday life, i.e. what they did when they got up in the morning, what they ate for breakfast, popular hobbies, the way to answer the telephone (not to mention the actual placing of a call), and so on.

Still, I did acquire information I didn't have yet, and for that, I'm grateful. Plus, it's an entertaining read, something I di...more
Diana
I really need to buy myself a copy of this book, so I can leave the library's copy for someone else. This series of books is mennt to help authors get their facts right in historical novels or non-fiction. Even though I'm not a writer I love reading about History and these are the books I go to if I need information on a word or phrase I didn't understand in the book I'm reading. I also read them just to read them, they're great books.
Brandy Shark
This has been a very excellent and easy-to-use book of reference to the time period. It's very simple, and as the title says, everyday things such as slang and military jargon for the span of about twenty to thirty years.

Very good for any writer who is looking for some quick and useful for their work.
Jane
Definitely worth having if you're writing a book set during this time period. Be aware, though, that it's not a thrilling read; it's more like a set of dictionaries with blurbs about the slang, cars, radio shows, and other artifacts of the era.
L.M. Elm
Always find myself coming back to this book when I need a quick glimpse at slang and other quick reference material I forget. Too bad it's out of print. It's a handy book to have if this is an era that interests you.
Glorious.Clio
Feb 09, 2011 Glorious.Clio rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: history buffs and aspiring authors
Recommended to Glorious.Clio by: Neftzer
An excellent source for, as the title implies, Everyday Life From Prohibition Through World War II. It really is quite a brilliant little book. Well researched and well written.
Daisy
Daisy added it
Jun 09, 2014
Lauren Rice
Lauren Rice is currently reading it
May 30, 2014
Ray Druian
Ray Druian marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Karine
Karine marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Suzy
Suzy marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
Nanna
Nanna marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2013
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2013
Madeline
Madeline marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2013
Cole
Cole added it
Jul 12, 2013
Jana
Jana marked it as to-read
May 22, 2013
Xavier
Xavier marked it as to-read
May 16, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Everyday Life in the 1800s: A Guide for Writers, Students & Historians (Writer's Guides to Everyday Life) Descriptionary: A Thematic Dictionary Damn! Why Didnt I Write That?: How Ordinary People are Raking in $100,000.00 or More Writing Nonfiction Books & How You Can Too! The Kid Who Named Pluto: And the Stories of Other Extraordinary Young People in Science The Writer's Digest Sourcebook for Building Believable Characters