Start by marking “The Writer's Guide to Everyday Life from Prohibition Through World War II” as Want to Read:
The Writer's Guide to Everyday Life from Prohibition Through World War II

The Writer's Guide to Everyday Life from Prohibition Through World War II

Writers will save hours of valuable research time and bring a richness and historical accuracy to their work as they reference the slice-of-life facts depicted for each of these major time periods. Each book contains descriptions of the period's food and clothes; customs and slang; occupations, common religious and political practices; and other historical details.
Published May 2nd 1996 by Writer's Digest Books (first published September 15th 1995)

Be the first to ask a question about The Writer's Guide to Everyday Life from Prohibition Through World War II

Kate
Mar 14, 2011 Kate rated it liked it
I checked this book out from the library as part of doing research for my Nanowrimo novel, set in 1919. As I understood it, Prohibition began in 1919, so I figured this would at least have some facts about everyday life I could use.

Unfortunately this didn't have much geared toward the everyday facts I needed for my story. This was directed more toward people writing novels about the "Roaring Twenties" and 1930s hard-boiled detective stories. The lists of slang used was stuff like "cat's pajamas"
While I really enjoyed the guide to slang (although I could have done without the curse words that were thrown in), and a listing of many of the radio programs that people listened to, most of the rest of the information was next to useless.

This historical events were skimmed over. There was a chapter on Prohibition, a chapter on the depression, and one on World War II, each fairly brief. Even though the chapters where not that long, most of the historical data was clouded by the authors own per
Erin Lancaster
Apr 27, 2014 Erin Lancaster rated it really liked it
This is an okay reference book for the time period. However, most of the information I found I could find elsewhere. When I read "everyday life," I expected to read about everyday life, i.e. what they did when they got up in the morning, what they ate for breakfast, popular hobbies, the way to answer the telephone (not to mention the actual placing of a call), and so on.

Still, I did acquire information I didn't have yet, and for that, I'm grateful. Plus, it's an entertaining read, something I di
Diana
Jul 31, 2011 Diana rated it really liked it
I really need to buy myself a copy of this book, so I can leave the library's copy for someone else. This series of books is meant to help authors get their facts right in historical novels or non-fiction. Even though I'm not a writer I love reading about History and these are the books I go to if I need information on a word or phrase I didn't understand in the book I'm reading. I also read them just to read them, they're great books.
Brandy Shark
Apr 23, 2012 Brandy Shark rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, research
This has been a very excellent and easy-to-use book of reference to the time period. It's very simple, and as the title says, everyday things such as slang and military jargon for the span of about twenty to thirty years.

Very good for any writer who is looking for some quick and useful for their work.
Jane
Dec 22, 2007 Jane rated it liked it
Definitely worth having if you're writing a book set during this time period. Be aware, though, that it's not a thrilling read; it's more like a set of dictionaries with blurbs about the slang, cars, radio shows, and other artifacts of the era.
L.M. Elm
Oct 05, 2013 L.M. Elm rated it really liked it
Always find myself coming back to this book when I need a quick glimpse at slang and other quick reference material I forget. Too bad it's out of print. It's a handy book to have if this is an era that interests you.
Kate
Jan 17, 2011 Kate rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: history buffs and aspiring authors
Recommended to Kate by: Neftzer
An excellent source for, as the title implies, Everyday Life From Prohibition Through World War II. It really is quite a brilliant little book. Well researched and well written.
Robin Wright
Robin Wright rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2009
Jenn Sharon
Jenn Sharon rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2011
R.K. Cowles
R.K. Cowles rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2014
Bailey Rein
Bailey Rein rated it it was ok
Mar 15, 2015
Wendy Douglas
Wendy Douglas rated it liked it
Oct 22, 2016
Ken Kuhlken
Ken Kuhlken rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2014
Mary Carlson
Mary Carlson rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2014
Mason
Mason rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2014
Cheri
Cheri rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2017
Jane
Jane rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2008
Vic Goetz
Vic Goetz rated it did not like it
Feb 07, 2017
Pam
Pam rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2013
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2017
Merlene Neville
Merlene Neville rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2015
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2015
Cathy
Cathy rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2013
Jameson Riddle
Jameson Riddle rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2016
Sam
Sam rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2013
Maryanne
Maryanne rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2014
Tracy
Tracy rated it liked it
May 16, 2014
Will
Will rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2016