Start by marking “The Writer's Guide to Everyday Life from Prohibition Through World War II” as Want to Read:
The Writer's Guide to Everyday Life from Prohibition Through World War II

The Writer's Guide to Everyday Life from Prohibition Through World War II

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Writers will save hours of valuable research time and bring a richness and historical accuracy to their work as they reference the slice-of-life facts depicted for each of these major time periods. Each book contains descriptions of the period's food and clothes; customs and slang; occupations, common religious and political practices; and other historical details.
Published May 2nd 1996 by Writer's Digest Books (first published September 15th 1995)

Be the first to ask a question about The Writer's Guide to Everyday Life from Prohibition Through World War II

Kate
I checked this book out from the library as part of doing research for my Nanowrimo novel, set in 1919. As I understood it, Prohibition began in 1919, so I figured this would at least have some facts about everyday life I could use.

Unfortunately this didn't have much geared toward the everyday facts I needed for my story. This was directed more toward people writing novels about the "Roaring Twenties" and 1930s hard-boiled detective stories. The lists of slang used was stuff like "cat's pajamas"
While I really enjoyed the guide to slang (although I could have done without the curse words that were thrown in), and a listing of many of the radio programs that people listened to, most of the rest of the information was next to useless.

This historical events were skimmed over. There was a chapter on Prohibition, a chapter on the depression, and one on World War II, each fairly brief. Even though the chapters where not that long, most of the historical data was clouded by the authors own per
Erin Lancaster
This is an okay reference book for the time period. However, most of the information I found I could find elsewhere. When I read "everyday life," I expected to read about everyday life, i.e. what they did when they got up in the morning, what they ate for breakfast, popular hobbies, the way to answer the telephone (not to mention the actual placing of a call), and so on.

Still, I did acquire information I didn't have yet, and for that, I'm grateful. Plus, it's an entertaining read, something I di
Diana
I really need to buy myself a copy of this book, so I can leave the library's copy for someone else. This series of books is mennt to help authors get their facts right in historical novels or non-fiction. Even though I'm not a writer I love reading about History and these are the books I go to if I need information on a word or phrase I didn't understand in the book I'm reading. I also read them just to read them, they're great books.
Brandy Shark
This has been a very excellent and easy-to-use book of reference to the time period. It's very simple, and as the title says, everyday things such as slang and military jargon for the span of about twenty to thirty years.

Very good for any writer who is looking for some quick and useful for their work.
Jane
Definitely worth having if you're writing a book set during this time period. Be aware, though, that it's not a thrilling read; it's more like a set of dictionaries with blurbs about the slang, cars, radio shows, and other artifacts of the era.
L.M. Elm
Always find myself coming back to this book when I need a quick glimpse at slang and other quick reference material I forget. Too bad it's out of print. It's a handy book to have if this is an era that interests you.
Kate
Feb 09, 2011 Kate rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: history buffs and aspiring authors
Recommended to Kate by: Neftzer
An excellent source for, as the title implies, Everyday Life From Prohibition Through World War II. It really is quite a brilliant little book. Well researched and well written.
Jennifer Matarese
Jennifer Matarese marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Wendy Douglas
Wendy Douglas marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Ashley Pearman
Ashley Pearman marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Rachel Whitley
Rachel Whitley marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Kelsey Bryant
Kelsey Bryant marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Cristiano
Cristiano marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Stefanie Nicholas
Stefanie Nicholas marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Eggroll
Eggroll marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Jenny Gregory-stoltey
Jenny Gregory-stoltey marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Sharleen Nelson
Sharleen Nelson is currently reading it
Sep 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Everyday Life in the 1800s: A Guide for Writers, Students & Historians Descriptionary: A Thematic Dictionary Damn! Why Didnt I Write That?: How Ordinary People are Raking in $100,000.00 or More Writing Nonfiction Books & How You Can Too! The Kid Who Named Pluto: And the Stories of Other Extraordinary Young People in Science The Writer's Digest Sourcebook for Building Believable Characterwriter's Digest Sourcebook for Building Believable Characters S