Start by marking “Bruised Hibiscus” as Want to Read:
Bruised Hibiscus

Bruised Hibiscus

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  10 reviews
When a fisherman pulls the body of a white woman from the sea onto the island of Trinidad, the assumed motivation for the murder is "man-woman business." As the news spreads, the rage that surfaces - born of generations of colonialism, sexual oppression, and class disparity - is the catalyst for the reunion of two childhood friends.

Rosa and Zuela were inseparable for the s
Published April 4th 2000 by Seal Press (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Bruised Hibiscus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bruised Hibiscus

Ryan Mishap
There are many books that contain gross amounts and kinds of violence against women, and for many of them, this is the main reason they were written and the main reason some people read them. There are other books, though, which contain enough shocking debasement and brutalisation of people--mainly wimmin--to match these but stand against the misogyny they describe. What's the difference? A book of fiction from a reality that doesn't deny a character their humanity; doesn't let go of compassion ...more
While I wasn't a total fan of Ms. Nunez's writing style, the story of Bruised Hibiscus was captivating. Although the story grabs you, it is certainly not a happy story. The reason I rated it so highly is because I can't hate characters so vehemently if the story is horrible. And, hate them I did. I found most of the characters just awful. Until the very end, there are very few redeeming traits in any of the characters and I found that awfully unbelievable. In a story with so many characters, I j ...more
This book personalizes the ugly racial struggle and hatred between "whites" and "coloreds---which includes Indians and Chinese" in Trinidad. Rosa and Zuela, the main characters, are appealing and represent more than just two aspects of the divide. The writing is spellbinding, though the author's message about the damage of inadequate mothering seems overly stressed, even though I tend to agree with it. The ending is both painfully sad and wonderfully happy.
Bronwyn Hegarty
I have just finished and what a read. The story is very black (not a pun) and weaves two womens' lives together around the murder of a woman washed up on a Trinidad beach. It deals with the sexual abuse that both Rosa and Zuela have experienced in their lives. Rosa while married to a black Trinidadian man and Zuela from when she was taken from her family by a Chinese immigrant when 11 years old. A riveting story from start to finish.
The story itself is well done and interesting but the writing style is very difficult. Two themes in the book are opium addiction and the incomplete understanding a child has of adult affairs. Pretty much all the prose comes across as under the fog of one of these states. It's fine to give a sense of what that's like, but not to the point of confusing your reader so much they can't figure out what is happening.
Ms. Nunez's prose was of course beautiful and she creates a vivid picture of her native Trinidad that makes me want more... However, I couldn't give it 5 stars because I hated, hated, hated the ending. I almost stopped reading after chapter 19. I know the world can sometimes be a brutal and dangerous place for young women but this just felt a bit gratuitous to me.
Read this for Caribbean Romances. Nunez's writing is magnificently beautiful but not cheesy. This is not a love story, in case you think that's what my class is about. It's about violence and hatred and grudges, and kind of where these things could have come from in the DR.
Enjoyed reading about the struggles of two women in trinadad and how they overcame them! Exelent book!!
Jan 11, 2012 Cindy is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
slow start, kind of confusing but intense subject matter. Getting better...
this was fire
Carren Krishnanan
Carren Krishnanan marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Bamma marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Lexi Scott
Lexi Scott marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
Joanna Menda
Joanna Menda marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
Liz Neale
Liz Neale marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
Shelley Best
Shelley Best marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015
Sam Kyle
Sam Kyle marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
Sharon  Beckles Widell
Sharon Beckles Widell marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Mariela marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Nell marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Bree marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
Melissa Van parys
Melissa Van parys marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Madhu marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Storm marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
BMR, MSW, LSW marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Hanifa marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Katherine Yabes
Katherine Yabes marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
  • Who Slashed Celanire's Throat?
  • Relato de um certo Oriente
  • Zia Summer
  • He Drown She in the Sea
  • The Zigzag Way
  • To 'Joy My Freedom: Southern Black Women's Lives and Labors After the Civil War
  • Lola, California
  • Wild Meat and the Bully Burgers
  • The Great Arizona Orphan Abduction
  • Oddfellow's Orphanage
  • Bitter Grounds
  • The Fruit of the Tree
  • Virgin Soul
  • The Fisher King: A Novel
  • Valerie Solanas: The Defiant Life of the Woman Who Wrote SCUM (and Shot Andy Warhol)
  • The Color of Night
  • The Hurricane Party
  • The Complete Fiction of Nella Larsen: Passing, Quicksand, and the Stories
Elizabeth Nunez emigrated from Trinidad to the US after completing high school. Nunez is provost at Medgar Evers College, the City University of New York, and an award-winning author.

She received her Ph.D. in English from New York University. She is the award-winning author of six novels: Prospero's Daughter (New York Times Book Review Editor’s Choice and 2006 Florida Center for the Literary Arts
More about Elizabeth Nunez...