Start by marking “Bruised Hibiscus: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Bruised Hibiscus: A Novel

Bruised Hibiscus: A Novel

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  10 reviews
When a fisherman pulls the body of a white woman from the sea onto the island of Trinidad, the assumed motivation for the murder is "man-woman business." As the news spreads, the rage that surfaces - born of generations of colonialism, sexual oppression, and class disparity - is the catalyst for the reunion of two childhood friends.

Rosa and Zuela were inseparable for the s
Published April 4th 2000 by Seal Press (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Bruised Hibiscus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bruised Hibiscus

Ryan Mishap
There are many books that contain gross amounts and kinds of violence against women, and for many of them, this is the main reason they were written and the main reason some people read them. There are other books, though, which contain enough shocking debasement and brutalisation of people--mainly wimmin--to match these but stand against the misogyny they describe. What's the difference? A book of fiction from a reality that doesn't deny a character their humanity; doesn't let go of compassion ...more
Joanne
While I wasn't a total fan of Ms. Nunez's writing style, the story of Bruised Hibiscus was captivating. Although the story grabs you, it is certainly not a happy story. The reason I rated it so highly is because I can't hate characters so vehemently if the story is horrible. And, hate them I did. I found most of the characters just awful. Until the very end, there is very little redeeming traits in any of the characters and I found that awfully unbelievable. In a story with so many characters, i ...more
Bonnie
This book personalizes the ugly racial struggle and hatred between "whites" and "coloreds---which includes Indians and Chinese" in Trinidad. Rosa and Zuela, the main characters, are appealing and represent more than just two aspects of the divide. The writing is spellbinding, though the author's message about the damage of inadequate mothering seems overly stressed, even though I tend to agree with it. The ending is both painfully sad and wonderfully happy.
Bronwyn Hegarty
I have just finished and what a read. The story is very black (not a pun) and weaves two womens' lives together around the murder of a woman washed up on a Trinidad beach. It deals with the sexual abuse that both Rosa and Zuela have experienced in their lives. Rosa while married to a black Trinidadian man and Zuela from when she was taken from her family by a Chinese immigrant when 11 years old. A riveting story from start to finish.
Cyndi
The story itself is well done and interesting but the writing style is very difficult. Two themes in the book are opium addiction and the incomplete understanding a child has of adult affairs. Pretty much all the prose comes across as under the fog of one of these states. It's fine to give a sense of what that's like, but not to the point of confusing your reader so much they can't figure out what is happening.
Karen
Ms. Nunez's prose was of course beautiful and she creates a vivid picture of her native Trinidad that makes me want more... However, I couldn't give it 5 stars because I hated, hated, hated the ending. I almost stopped reading after chapter 19. I know the world can sometimes be a brutal and dangerous place for young women but this just felt a bit gratuitous to me.
Audrey
Read this for Caribbean Romances. Nunez's writing is magnificently beautiful but not cheesy. This is not a love story, in case you think that's what my class is about. It's about violence and hatred and grudges, and kind of where these things could have come from in the DR.
Belicia
Enjoyed reading about the struggles of two women in trinadad and how they overcame them! Exelent book!!
Cindy
Jan 11, 2012 Cindy is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
slow start, kind of confusing but intense subject matter. Getting better...
Evna
this was fire
Asha
Asha marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Alstondl
Alstondl marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
David Johnson
David Johnson marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
qtasha
qtasha marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Cynthia Marie
Cynthia Marie marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Nikki
Nikki marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Bernard James
Bernard James marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Juliana
Juliana marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Lorna
Lorna marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Ashley Adams
Ashley Adams marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
a. chigozie
a. chigozie marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Vera
Vera marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Lk
Lk marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Jan Boynton
Jan Boynton marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Relato de um Certo Oriente
  • Zia Summer
  • He Drown She in the Sea: A Novel
  • To 'Joy My Freedom: Southern Black Women's Lives and Labors After the Civil War
  • Lola, California
  • The Complete Fiction of Nella Larsen: Passing, Quicksand, and The Stories
  • The Fruit of the Tree
  • The Opposite House: A Novel
  • Virgin Soul
Elizabeth Nunez emigrated from Trinidad to the US after completing high school. Nunez is provost at Medgar Evers College, the City University of New York, and an award-winning author.

She received her Ph.D. in English from New York University. She is the award-winning author of six novels: Prospero's Daughter (New York Times Book Review Editor’s Choice and 2006 Florida Center for the Literary Arts
More about Elizabeth Nunez...
Prospero's Daughter: A Novel Anna In-Between Boundaries Grace: A Novel Beyond The Limbo Silence