This Fleeting World: A Short History of Humanity

This Fleeting World: A Short History of Humanity

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  12 reviews
A great historian can make clear the connections between the first Homo sapiens and today s version of the species, and a great storyteller can make those connections come alive. David Christian is both, and This Fleeting World: A Short History of Humanity, makes the journey from the earliest foraging era to the agrarian era to our own modern era a fascinating one. Ready t...more
Published June 21st 2007 by Berkshire Publishing Group (first published June 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about This Fleeting World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Fleeting World

Tim Chang
picked this up on a whim -- perhaps at the TED conference? Quick, delightful "Cliff Notes on the Human Race up to now"

In the spirit of Cliff Notes encapsulation and compression of salient data, here were the notes I jotted down as I read. Pretty much a bullet point version of the book for handy reference that you can keep in Evernote or on your smartphone :)

-Universe appeared 13.7B years ago with Big Bang, starting smaller than an atom which exploded to create all base elements of universe today...more
Danny Kazanov
Every Global 9 teacher should start their course by having their students read this short, fascinating book.
Erick Harper
Marketed as a fresh, new perspective on world history, especially for teachers. Unfortunately falls short of this promise; it's a thumbnail version of every World History class that has ever been taught. I should have been skeptical of an overview of human history weighing in at just over 100 pages in the first place. A few interesting debate questions/thought experiments, but overall too much emphasis on (and blatant speculation about) primitive/prehistoric foraging societies who I'm sure were...more
Melissa
Awesome thought experiment seeking to broaden historical knowledge and bring peoples from around the world together under one historical trajectory as members of one race. Though this is an historical narrative beginning with the big bang and ending with globalization, it is a tiny book that sets up this universal history in three stages: pre-history, the invention of agriculture, and the industrial revolution. While there are problems with this framework, it is a useful way of introducing stude...more
Ellie H
This book was boring. Plus, I had to read it for school in the summer so I was pretty unmotivated to read it. Anyways, unless you're a history buff or need to read this for school, don't read it and waste your time.
Grace
A good bird's eye view of world history. Probably nice for introducing big ideas to students but very shallow across.
Ashley
I'M SO HAPPY I FINISHED THIS FINALLY. I've spent weeks reading and taking notes on this book, it's fascinating and all but a very very slow read especially when I have to take notes. I have 9 sheets of paper filled with notes (front and back). I'm just going to end the review with that statement.
Catherine Woodman
This is a slightly more than a 100-page story about the history of the world, giving a clear perspective on how insignificant man is in the history of the planet--but that we wield unnaturally important power, which may bring the whole show down. Wedll worth it even if you are not planning to take the AP World History exam.
Jessica
This is a good, short book that helps students put world history and thinking globally into a context that they can understand. It's a pretty good way to introduce the students to a different way of approaching history so that they understand that it's not just about dates and events and memorization.
Hansini
Had to read this book and fill out a study guide packet for A.P. world history. Found it very informative and helpful to get a general understanding on our world's history! :)
Jesse Ynclan
Well written and provides an excellent overview for how to frame the reading of World History around thematic approaches.
Vicki
Well written and quite interesting.
Jorge Gómez
Jorge Gómez marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Fouad
Fouad marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Jerrad Studstill
Jerrad Studstill marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Kelwyn
Kelwyn marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Bc Corona
Bc Corona is currently reading it
Aug 17, 2014
Alex Lopez-barton
Alex Lopez-barton is currently reading it
Aug 16, 2014
Rob
Rob added it
Aug 14, 2014
Nicole
Nicole is currently reading it
Aug 13, 2014
Abby
Abby added it
Aug 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Maps of Time: An Introduction to Big History Big History: The Big Bang, Life On Earth, And The Rise Of Humanity (Great Courses, #8050) A History of Russia, Central Asia and Mongolia: Inner Eurasia from Prehistory to the Mongol Empire Power And Privilege: Russia And The Soviet Union In The Nineteenth And Twentieth Centuries Big History: Between Nothing and Everything