Start by marking “Open Water Diver Manual” as Want to Read:

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  254 ratings  ·  57 reviews
Open Water Diver Manual
Published January 1st 1999 by PADI (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Open Water Diver Manual, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Open Water Diver Manual

Brandalyn
Great preparation for my scuba class. So excited for our trip!
Daiana Catioiu
I'm currently reading this to prepare for my open water diver theory class that I'm taking in order to get my licence.

It's really easy to understand and has step-by-step guiding lessons that help greatly. Quick quizzes and chapter assessments embed the information in your mind and help you test it.

As the warning in it goes, I'm really excited about going into the practical side.

It's the perfect PADI home study material.
Katherine
Very dry reading for something about being wet, but definitely worth it if you're doing a PADI open water scuba diving course. Not really worth it if you're looking for a light read by the pool, unless you are into reading textbooks for fun. Diving is more fun than that. It also comes in lots of languages, which is pretty cool, so you can dive in French, German, Spanish...

Did I mention that diving is AWESOME?

Ayat Mahmoud
My guide to Diving passion :)
Hadi Wijaya
There are several comments after reading this book:
1. This book is easy to understand, some parts are being told repetitively but it make me sure that the parts are extremely important, so it's reminded many times. It also provide quiz in the end of each section. The quiz is a good indicator to measure my understanding.

2. Reading this book like reading Physic Book in fun way. There is so many concepts of Physic those are actually useful in diving, and I didn't know that until I read this book. A
Ellon
At the beginning, I really hated the layout of the book. The 'objectives' and 'self surveys' are located in awkward places. There are some boxes that give other information that are placed in the middle of a paragraph so you either have to go to the next page to finish the paragraph and then go back to read the box or read the box and forget what you were reading in the main part. Also, the captions under the pictures are verbatim from the main information so I just stopped reading them after th ...more
Igor
I took a PADI open water scuba diver certification course in Mexico and it was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. The feeling of weightlessness after achieving neutral buoyancy and breathing underwater is an experience all unto itself, but then comes the exploration of an underwater world that is so radically different from the surface world that you'll be captivated by its scope and beauty, and its probably as close to a feeling of exploring a strange new world as you're gonna ge ...more
Karen Martwick
There's a lot of great -- essential, in fact -- info here, but the format leaves plenty to be desired.

As others have noted, the sequencing of the things to look for and self-review sidebars is out of whack, and ALL of the image captions are verbatim repetitions of body copy from the same page. Obviously, someone thought, "Hey, we can emphasize these points by making them bold and hiding them under photos off to the side. Did we mention they're bold?!"

I understand that PADI is in the process of u
Jen
I should not have waited until a week before Scuba Class to start reading this book. I thought I could fly through 250 pages easily learning simple fun facts about diving, but this is some hefty material. I started last night and in 3 hours I had read just under 30 pages and took 6 pages of written notes to keep the info fresh and easy to skim through again before class.

I don't know how to rate this. As something enjoyeable to read I give it low stars. It's a classroom book, not an exciting rea
Amanda
Obviously had to read it to get PADI Open Water Diver certified. I had the same problems with the layout that many others did, with quizzes and sidebars being awkwardly located. I also felt the tone was simultaneously too dry and too joking. Not sure how this is possible, but ...

The book also spent far too long on how to buy gear. I know the gear is important to successful and fun-filled diving, but so much of what the textbook has to say on the topic is obvious and/or redundant. In fact, that'
Jinan
I read this book in preparation for my PADI Open Water exam. It is a comprehensive guide that is easy to understand and is more interesting than the video.
Al-Waleed Al-Battshi
I don't like some things from this book because one reader can use it only for the certificate and it is a bit doesn't worth its price locally.
Sam Woodfield
Although I read this in order to pass the exam and gain the eventual qualification, I actually found this quite interesting. It tells you all you need to know about diving with SCUBA equipment to depths of up to 18 meters and the various conditions under which you might dive. It also taught me alot about the coastal environment which is useful information which will extend beyond my diving.

This was a really interesting read and complimented an excellent course which I would recommed to anyone re
Muhammad Nawawy Arasy Padil
found this book at our cottage in Malenge island, Togean.

Read this on the bungalow on a hammock in front of beautiful island...
Alexis
Read this book for my PADI Open Water Diving certification course. It was easy to read and very straight-forward.
Kimmay
Had to read this for my scuba PADI class. It is textbook read for a recreational activity.

I did learn alot from the book, but it was a textbook, so it is not like a recreational book. I did try to retain as much info as possible but some of it i know just won't stick until i go diving and look back over this book, it will be a good book to have around for things that pop up in the futyre, a good reference to look back through.

I am now done with the classes all i need now are my 4 open water d
Janine
While this wasn't the most thirlling of reads, it was necessary to read this cover-to-cover in order to obtain my SCUBA certification, which I am (at this writing) 1/3 of the way done with now that I have completed the textbook portion. I am super excited about learning to SCUBA dive; and this book was a great component in helping me learn about the equipment and procedures. I highly reccomend this to anyone who is interested in their SCUBA certification (indeed, it is required to be PADI certif ...more
David S.
Very specific. Very informative if you are planning to go under the sea. They really should have one water confined dive that goes deeper then 7 foot community pool, so you can used to the pressure. I had some issues with pressurizing my ears, which I am sure everyone will not have, but I wish I would have done it once or twice before I went to sixty feet. Over all the book was unbelivably, incredibly boring. Do not read. Unless you plan on scuba diving.
Meghan
The Open Water Diver Manual is a book that teaches you how to SCUBA dive. There are many different chapeters that explain the most important parts of SCUBA diving and the equiptment. It can be very confusing at times, so I would suggest you reread the parts you dont understand. At the end of each chapter is a quiz. It askes several of the main points in the book. I would recomend you read this if you would like to become a certified PADI diver.
Neville Magone
Very informative.
Eric Sundquist
SCUBA is a device to help people breathe underwater. SCUBA stands for Stay Calm Underwater, But Also. It is widely accepted that SCUBA used to have 2-4 other letters at the end of it which have been lost to time, as staying calm alone is not enough to breathe underwater, and because "But Also" is no way to end an acronym.

Besides teaching people about the calmness that is SCUBA, this book also has nice pictures.
Joshua
Read this on the plane to remind myself about how to scuba dive (I haven't done any in 3 years). I didn't die during my dives, so I guess it helped. As when I first read this book, I was disappointed that there was not a more technical discussion of gas solubility in non-ideal solutions (e.g., blood), but that is the pchemist talking...
Emily
This book is probably the best example of good instructional design I've ever seen. They explain every concept (to a fault) so that no matter how you prefer to learn, you understand what they're talking about. Between the videos, the books, and the in-class instruction, you'll know how to dive and be comfortable in the water after this class.
Daniel Russo
I had to blaze through this in a week before I took my confined water dives (which is a tiny time frame that I DO NOT recommend, if you can help it), and it covered a ton of information without much fuss. Maybe not the most memorable book I've ever read, but I'll remember the FACTS in it, so in that respect it gets the job done admirably.
Jennie Machines
I actually really enjoyed this manual, for a text book style reading. Everything was well organized and fully explained. The little quips made it awesome. Such as: "Plan an alternative dive site in case you can't drive at your primary site (poor conditions, speed boat competitions, *ex-spouse is there*, etc.)"
This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For
I was certified many years ago, but my wife just became certified and used this as her text. It's perfectly adequate for what it is supposed to provide, if a bit on the "advertising additional services" which is the hallmark of all of the dive certification schools (and PADI in particular).
BJM
OK, it's not the most scintillating book to read, but necessary if you want to get PADI certified as an open water diver! Plus it explains why I haven't been posting any "real" books lately, still studying for my upcoming scuba exams next week, not much time for leisure reading right now!
Yuta Tamberg
There is simplicity and there is oversimplifying. Here one can find a fair measure of both. Not really bad for an absolute beginner, but not enough, either. And do you know what they say about PADI? Put Another Dollar In
Farhan Mohmed
أ-ب غوص المياة المفتوحة الى الياء.
من الصعب قرأته لطولة و كثرة المعلومات كما انه مصاغ كمرجع.
.الاسهل قرأته بطريقة انتقائية, او مشاهدة دروس الفيديو الملحقة بالكتاب و هذا كان خياري
Jackie Daggers
Lung Over-expansion is one of the most terrifying things ever. And I imagine I have a pretty good grasp on what that pain is like based on sitting through this book in under a day.
  • New Zealand
  • Japanese Hot Pots: Family Style Comfort Foods
  • From Diapers to Dating: A Parent's Guide to Raising Sexually Healthy Children
  • Everyday Life in Traditional Japan
  • Deep Descent: Adventure and Death Diving the Andrea Doria
  • Why There's Antifreeze in Your Toothpaste: The Chemistry of Household Ingredients
  • Mini Farming: Self-Sufficiency on 1/4 Acre
  • I Don't Know What I Want, But I Know It's Not This: A Step-by-Step Guide to Finding Gratifying Work
  • Mathematics, Magic and Mystery
  • Submerged: Adventures of America's Most Elite Underwater Archeology Team
  • Chemistry: The Molecular Nature of Matter and Change
  • Marine Biology
Adventures in Diving: Manual Rescue Diver Manual The Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving PADI Adventures in Diving: Advanced Training for Open Water Divers Wreck Diver Manual