Start by marking “The Junkyard Dog” as Want to Read:
The Junkyard Dog

The Junkyard Dog (Jimmy Flannery #1)

***Edgar Award Winner*** - The Junkyard Dog -- Chicago is Jimmy Flannery's kind of town. A tough Irishman with street smarts, he's part of a political machine that runs on favors and friendships. Flannery's particular piece of the patronage is the 27th Ward, and anything that happens there is his business. Even murder.

So when an antiabortion demonstration ends with a bomb
Published July 1st 1986 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about The Junkyard Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Junkyard Dog

Joyce
May 29, 2016 Joyce rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was published in the '80s and could have been topical in the '50s, but it was very well written. In reading it I felt like I was listening to Jimmy Flannery telling me the story of the abortion clinic bombing and the other murders. Not many writers have the ability to make the reader part of the story. Good reading, but remember it is dated.
Robert
Oct 27, 2008 Robert rated it really liked it
I love the whole Jimmy Flannery series, and It's too bad Robert Campbell has passed on because I miss the days when the Flannery books came out like clockwork. In some ways Flannery seems a little anachronistic. I'm not from Chicago, so I don't know if they still have wardheelers like Flannery, but it's a great gimmick and a great character, and the stories are well written.
Carol
Sep 21, 2008 Carol rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Carol by: other books by Campbell
I just love his style of writing. His characters are fun, intersting and real. I found "Nibbled to Death By Ducks" and liked it so much I bought all his books!
Canavan
Jun 03, 2017 Canavan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
✭✭✭✭
Dave
This is an absolutely terrific book that should have wide appeal to many mystery readers. Campbell has taken many classic Hardboiled detective themes and managed to wrap them in an entirely new package and, in doing so, he has created a detective novel entirely unlike anything else out there. Here he has the dogged investigator working on his own with all of the bureaucrats and the mobsters warning him off. He has a story about corruption and girls who come to the big city expecting to make a ne ...more
LJ
JUNKYARD DOG - Okay
Campbell, Robert - 1st in Jimmy Flannery series

Chicago is Jimmy Flannery's kind of town. A tough Irishman with street smarts, he's part of a political machine that runs on favors and friendships. Flannery's particular piece of the patronage pie is the 27th Ward, and anything that happens there is his business. Even murder.

So when an antiabortion demonstration ends with a bomb blast that kills a pretty young girl and an old woman, Flannery takes it personally. But someone's sto
Johnny
Nov 22, 2010 Johnny rated it really liked it
There's a great pace to this story, quick with very little fat. A straightforward detective novel, although its biggest strength is that the hero is not a detective. That's nothing new in itself, but choosing a Chicago political figure to do the snooping creates some interesting moral gray areas.

In a fictional world where "favors" and "markers" are the most common form of currency, Campbell is able to hurdle one of the hindrances of private eye novels and police procedurals, the fact that in tho
Tim Schiraldi
Nov 29, 2015 Tim Schiraldi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! the author has a unique and very readable writing style. A great story built around the "Machine" that is Chicago politics and society, with committeemen, precinct captains, and aldermen. It works on a system of patronage and "favor for a favor". Main character, Jimmy Flannery is a likable, engaging captain of the "Twenty-seventh" precinct. His father, the captain of "the Fourteenth". The "Machine" is well oiled with money, power, and favors in order to take care of those in ...more
T.L.
Jan 06, 2016 T.L. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I worked in the bookstore, I sold a boatload of Robert Campbell's books, but never read any. I am glad I finally did. I loved this book and I want to read more. I fell in love with Jimmy Flannery, who isn't a cop, but rather in charge of a ward in Chicago. He becomes embroiled in the investigation of the bombing of an abortion clinic in his ward and the story goes from there. I can't wait to read more of Flannery's adventures.
Ann
Jan 19, 2016 Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A favor for a fast or

Jimmy Flannery is basically an honest man trying to get by in the old fashioned Chicago political machine of a favor for a favor. When two people are killed in his precinct, he won't just let their deaths go without answers. This is a great read and a great story.
Charles
Oct 31, 2011 Charles rated it really liked it
Chicago-based mystery introducing precinct captain Jimmy Flannery, a cog in Chicago's reknown Democratic machine. A quick, fun read with humor and violence. When a killer stikes a young girl and old woman, and his new girlfriend is threatened when he starts digging into the case, Flannery "gets as mean as a junkyard dog--on the scent of dirty politics mixed with passion and revenge".
Jane Alderman
Oct 16, 2015 Jane Alderman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mean As???

Old Chicago or Current Chicago? I suppose it could be either, but I prefer to think it is OLD Chicago. With some of the tightest gun laws in the United States, Chicago is still filled with murders that are never explained. Or, maybe they are explained if someone like Jimmy Flannery cares enough to investigate the very people that could bring him down!
Donald Houston
Chicago at its dirty best!

Good characters combined with a good storyline save this book's so-so writing! Some triteness....some poor grammar and a sends of pushing the story a long.
John Sullivan
Jan 22, 2017 John Sullivan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great characters, great duologue, a fun read!

James Flannery is one of a kind guy, who is underestimated by those around him. Just when they think

they have him under control he let's them clean up the mess they wetetryi gto avoid
barbara evans
Dec 20, 2015 barbara evans rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Looks like a great new series

I enjoyed the way Flannery ducks and dodges his way through this book. The plot was captivating and keeps you reading till the end.
Molly
Apr 29, 2012 Molly rated it liked it
Tight little mystery. The racial elements are a fascinating part of this 1980s Chicago story.
Mary  Fulton
Mary Fulton rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2017
Sandra
Sandra rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2014
Chance
Chance rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2017
Cliff Verge
Cliff Verge rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2014
Teal
Teal rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2017
Dorothy
Dorothy rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2015
george nelson
george nelson rated it did not like it
Jul 17, 2017
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Sherry
Sherry rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2009
RICHARD B. HOSIE
RICHARD B. HOSIE rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2015
Joe Mathews
Joe Mathews rated it it was ok
Nov 24, 2015
Bernadine Bankes
Bernadine Bankes rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2015
Ian Lander
Ian Lander rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Introducing Mathematics
  • Adolf in Wonderland
  • Death With An Ocean View
  • Vampire Hunter D Volume 20: Scenes From An Unholy War
  • The Devil You Know
  • The Dog Who Ate The Airplane (Adam & Bagel, #1)
  • Transition to Murder (A Bobbi Logan Crime Novel)
  • Grandma?
  • Where Did You Go? Out What Did You Do? Nothing
  • Encyclopedia of the Human Brain, Four-Volume Set
  • The Fury
  • Hag's Nook (Dr. Gideon Fell, #1)
  • Hideyuki Kikuchi's Vampire Hunter D, Volume 05
  • How to Start Your Own Country
  • The Whispers of Nemesis
  • The Poop That Took a Pee
  • A Miracle's Path
  • The English Eccentrics
A screenwriter who turned to writing novels. Many of his earlier books were published as by R. Wright Campbell but later works were credited to Robert W. Campbell or simply Robert Campbell. He also published one book as F.G. Clinton. For more, see his obituary in the Los Angeles Times.
More about Robert Wright Campbell...

Jimmy Flannery (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • The 600 Pound Gorilla
  • Hip-Deep in Alligators
  • Thinning the Turkey Herd
  • The Cat's Meow
  • Nibbled to Death by Ducks
  • The Gift Horse's Mouth  (Jimmy Flannery Mysteries, #7)
  • In a Pig's Eye
  • Sauce for the Goose (Jimmy Flannery Mysteries, #9)
  • The Lion's Share