Start by marking “A Land Called Deseret (Utah, Americana, #44)” as Want to Read:
A Land Called Deseret (Utah, Americana, #44)

A Land Called Deseret (Cord & Stacy #4)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Every novel in this collection is your passport to a romantic tour of the United States through time-honored favorites by America's First Lady of romance fiction. Each of the fifty novels is set in a different state, researched by Janet and her husband, Bill. For the Daileys it was an odyssey of discovery. For you, it's the journey of a lifetime. Your tour of desire begins ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 239 pages
Published October 1st 2002 by Thorndike Press (first published August 10th 1979)

To ask other readers questions about A Land Called Deseret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Land Called Deseret

Jen
LaRaine is a selfish, spoilt brat, a not even has-been actress with a now failed acting career after botching it the third time for her. Broke and homeless, and moreover desperate, she seeks refuge at Travis McCrea's ranch, which had been part of the film set at which LaRaine was fired from. Gradually LaRaine's self-important, superficial mask melts away as she accustoms herself to rural life, and she quite naturally falls for Travis.

I am really addicted to reformed heroine stories now. Or at le
Jaymy M.
Published in 1979, but no less moving today. Reading "Deseret" I fell in love with Janet Dailey's writing all over again. Have several of her books. Hadn't read this one until now. Found it in the "Little Free Library," along with two others by Dailey. Finished it in one night. Like all of Dailey's work, I couldn't put it down. She knows just how to keep readers titillated. And, of course, she tugs those heartstrings just so.

LaRaine's character development is interesting to experience. Dailey g
Jacqueline
Success at last! A copy of this finally showed up at the UBS. Now for a reread.

Where oh where did my copy of this book go? Somewhere in the great move of '06 I lost an entire Rubbermaid tub of books. Sad sad face.
Diana
A Utah rancher and his failed-actress common-law wife. The only way this could have been more hilarious is if the rancher were a Mormon and the book culminated in a baptism. MISSED OPPORTUNITY.
Jan
It's like a cinderella story in reverse, LaRaine is a spoiled non-talented actress, whose only merit is her beauty. Thanks to her own selfishness she ends up as a housemaid on Travis' farm. She's terrible for the job, but after some growing up and learning to appreciate the small things in life, LaRaine becomes less insufferable, and I kinda started to like her.

The hero is very patronizing in the beginning, and I never really got why he fell for her, but it's still quite a charming book.
Tina
I used to read Janet Dailey all the time when I was in my late teens and early twenties. Since then, I haven't really strayed too much into the romance genre, but when I saw this book was based in Utah I decided to give it a try. Dailey wrote a book based in each state of the union early in her career and this book was the Utah effort.

It was a really quick read that followed a pretty basic romance formula. I didn't care for the heroine much, but the story was entertaining.
Loisa
Loisa marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Marina
Marina marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Lucy
Lucy added it
Jul 21, 2015
Ren & Love me Away
Ren & Love me Away marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Veronica Morales
Veronica Morales marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Loisa
Loisa added it
Jun 14, 2015
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Michele Stewart
Michele Stewart marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Cathy Lessard
Cathy Lessard marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Tadiana ✩ Night Owl☽
Tadiana ✩ Night Owl☽ marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Amanda
Amanda added it
Apr 21, 2015
Shellii Huff
Shellii Huff marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Issu
Issu marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
  • The Judas Kiss
  • The Failed Marriage
  • Small Treasures
  • Rocky Mountain Man (Bluebonnet Bride, #6)
  • Beau: Cowboy Protector
  • Laura (Sunfire, #10)
  • Willow
  • Softly Falling
  • Green Lightning
  • Saving Grace (The Lone Stars #2)
  • Apples Should Be Red
  • Marriage on the Rebound
  • More Than He Expected
  • Desire Has No Mercy
  • The Prince's Secret Baby (Bravo Royales, #1)
  • Can't Stop Believing (Harmony, #6)
  • Mountain Wild (Wild, #3)
  • Skylar's Outlaw
Janet Anne Haradon Dailey was an American author of numerous romance novels as Janet Dailey (her married name). Her novels have been translated into nineteen languages and have sold over 300 million copies worldwide.

Born in 1944 in Storm Lake, Iowa, she attended secretarial school in Omaha, Nebraska before meeting her husband, Bill. Bill and Janet worked together in construction and land developme
More about Janet Dailey...

Cord & Stacy (4 books)
  • No Quarter Asked
  • Fiesta San Antonio
  • For Bitter or Worse
Calder Pride (Calder Saga #5) This Calder Range (Calder Saga #1) This Calder Sky (Calder Saga #3) Stands A Calder Man (Calder Saga #2) Calder Born, Calder Bred (Calder Saga #4)