Start by marking “A Land Called Deseret (Utah, Americana, #44)” as Want to Read:
A Land Called Deseret (Utah, Americana, #44)

A Land Called Deseret (Cord & Stacy #4)

Every novel in this collection is your passport to a romantic tour of the United States through time-honored favorites by America's First Lady of romance fiction. Each of the fifty novels is set in a different state, researched by Janet and her husband, Bill. For the Daileys it was an odyssey of discovery. For you, it's the journey of a lifetime. Your tour of desire begins ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 239 pages
Published October 1st 2002 by Thorndike Press (first published August 10th 1979)

To ask other readers questions about A Land Called Deseret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Land Called Deseret

Jen
LaRaine is a selfish, spoilt brat, a not even has-been actress with a now failed acting career after botching it the third time for her. Broke and homeless, and moreover desperate, she seeks refuge at Travis McCrea's ranch, which had been part of the film set at which LaRaine was fired from. Gradually LaRaine's self-important, superficial mask melts away as she accustoms herself to rural life, and she quite naturally falls for Travis.

I am really addicted to reformed heroine stories now. Or at le
Jaymy M.
Oct 04, 2014 Jaymy M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Published in 1979, but no less moving today. Reading "Deseret" I fell in love with Janet Dailey's writing all over again. Have several of her books. Hadn't read this one until now. Found it in the "Little Free Library," along with two others by Dailey. Finished it in one night. Like all of Dailey's work, I couldn't put it down. She knows just how to keep readers titillated. And, of course, she tugs those heartstrings just so.

LaRaine's character development is interesting to experience. Dailey g
Jacqueline
Sep 21, 2011 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Success at last! A copy of this finally showed up at the UBS. Now for a reread.

Where oh where did my copy of this book go? Somewhere in the great move of '06 I lost an entire Rubbermaid tub of books. Sad sad face.
Fabiola
Mar 03, 2017 Fabiola rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While reading "For Bitter or Worse" I became interested in the character Travis and after searching, I found out that both book are actually part of the series Cord and Stacy. Since I was in the mood for "Travis", I have decided to skip book number two where he also shows up and read the last one instead - this book.

I liked the way the book is written and the dialogues, and overall think it's a good book.
The heroine is supposed to be a character who doesn't have much in life, neither money nor t
Jan
It's like a cinderella story in reverse, LaRaine is a spoiled non-talented actress, whose only merit is her beauty. Thanks to her own selfishness she ends up as a housemaid on Travis' farm. She's terrible for the job, but after some growing up and learning to appreciate the small things in life, LaRaine becomes less insufferable, and I kinda started to like her.

The hero is very patronizing in the beginning, and I never really got why he fell for her, but it's still quite a charming book.
Tina
Aug 06, 2013 Tina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I used to read Janet Dailey all the time when I was in my late teens and early twenties. Since then, I haven't really strayed too much into the romance genre, but when I saw this book was based in Utah I decided to give it a try. Dailey wrote a book based in each state of the union early in her career and this book was the Utah effort.

It was a really quick read that followed a pretty basic romance formula. I didn't care for the heroine much, but the story was entertaining.
Lynn Smith
Loved this novel. Remains a favourite to this day and is a keeper on my shelves. Great for Travis to have his own romance and to see the spoilt Lainey have her comeuppance and develop more character to then be able to find and deserve love.
Amie Doughty
Jul 01, 2016 Amie Doughty rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
LaRaine is one of the least sympathetic main characters I've read. Though she does grow and change by the end, she made it hard to like the novel. On the plus side, Dailey managed to keep Travis likeable, no small feat given the genre.

The editing in the Kindle edition is inexcusably bad.
Diana
A Utah rancher and his failed-actress common-law wife. The only way this could have been more hilarious is if the rancher were a Mormon and the book culminated in a baptism. MISSED OPPORTUNITY.
Karine
Jun 27, 2016 Karine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un bouquin pour entretenir mon anglais de façon ludique, tout en me distrayant... Ce livre a parfaitement réussi son rôle, même si j'ai eu du mal au début à éprouver de l'empathie pour l'héroïne.
Shadal
Shadal rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2013
Sassá
Sassá rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2013
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2009
Bluemoon
Bluemoon rated it liked it
May 03, 2012
Gladys M. Heaton
Gladys M. Heaton rated it it was ok
Jan 15, 2017
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2012
Beth
Beth rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2012
Marie
Marie rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2012
Iva
Iva rated it it was ok
Sep 24, 2016
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
May 22, 2011
Lucy
Lucy rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2016
Press
Press rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2012
Patricia Davis
Patricia Davis rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2012
Suzanne Siermann
Suzanne Siermann rated it liked it
May 15, 2014
Diane Rogers
Diane Rogers rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2010
CrispyCreme
CrispyCreme rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2016
Nan Comargue
Nan Comargue rated it it was ok
Oct 04, 2012
Becki England
Becki England rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2009
Gwademan
Gwademan rated it really liked it
May 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Judas Kiss
  • The Failed Marriage
  • Small Treasures
  • Winter Woman
  • The Doctor's Runaway Bride
  • The Return of Patrick O'Rourke (Jamesville, #3)
  • Willow (The Promised Land, #1)
  • Laura (Sunfire, #10)
  • Rocky Mountain Man (Bluebonnet Bride, #6)
  • Beau: Cowboy Protector
  • A Taste of Heaven
  • The Bedroom Business
  • Harder Than the Rest  (The MacLarens of Fire Mountain, #3)
  • Hard Lovin' Man (Contemporary Duo, #1)
  • Valerie
  • The Cowboy's Christmas Miracle (Cowboys of Cold Creek, #4)
  • Desire Has No Mercy
  • Marriage on the Rebound
Janet Anne Haradon Dailey was an American author of numerous romance novels as Janet Dailey (her married name). Her novels have been translated into nineteen languages and have sold over 300 million copies worldwide.

Born in 1944 in Storm Lake, Iowa, she attended secretarial school in Omaha, Nebraska before meeting her husband, Bill. Bill and Janet worked together in construction and land developme
More about Janet Dailey...

Cord & Stacy (4 books)
  • No Quarter Asked  (Cord & Stacy #1)
  • Fiesta San Antonio (Cord & Stacy #2)
  • For Bitter or Worse (Cord & Stacy #3)