Start by marking “McBroom's Ghost” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
McBroom's Ghost

Sid Fleishman

McBroom's Ghost (Adventures of McBroom)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Josh McBroom can tell you a few things about ghosts--including how an honest-to-goodness haunt came lurking about his one-acre farm one cold winter!
Published August 17th 1998 by Price Stern Sloan (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about McBroom's Ghost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about McBroom's Ghost

MisterFweem
First, I have to do the yell:

Willjillhesterchesterpeterpollytimtommarylarry andlittleclarinda!

That's how farmer Josh McBroom shouts his eleven children into the house as they're playing on his amazingly rich one-acre farm, where the soil is so rich they can grow two crops of tomatoes and a crop of carrots on the first day of planting.

And now it's my goal as I pass these wonderful books (this is the first of a series by Sid Fleischman) on to my children that I perfect McBroom's yell so I can shou
Shiloah
This was so fun to read aloud to the family. Add the Southern twang and it really makes the story come to life. We laughed and laughed.
Angela
I read this book to my ten year old son. I thought this was a pretty neat book, but my son was left feeling a bit confused. The author used a LOT of sayings not to be taken in a literal form. The main character would say and I’m not lying, so my son was a bit confused as to what the underlying messages were.

This is a story about a man and his wife and 11 children who live on a farm that can grow crops in just one day. Of course with amazing land like that, the neighbor of McBroom is always tryi
Donna Crane
My, oh my, it's been a cold winter this year. Why it's been so cold we've had to fire a gun up the chimney three times a day to blast through the smoke that froze. It was so cold all the red barns in the county turned blue and sunlight took to freezing on the ground. But the strangest thing happening on the McBroom farm is that a mimicking ghost has turned up. It can do dead-on imitations of everything from a crowing rooster to John Philip Sousa's marching band. The McBroom series comes from the ...more
Brandi
In this tall-tale chapter book for transitional readers, it's a cold, cold winter on McBroom's one-acre farm when a mimicking ghost starts to cause all sorts of trouble. A humorous, fun, quick start to the Adventures of McBroom series.
Scott
Dec 16, 2007 Scott rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children
Shelves: childrens-book
This book was one of my favorite books from when I was a child. It is a strange and bizarre book with strange illustrations to match the story. Most of the characters are tall and emaciated with very distinct noses. Mr. McBroom is a great narrator who is known for telling tall tales. He tells a story of a ghost haunting their farm.

Looking back, it almost seems like it could be the basis for a short film by Tim Burton.
Elizabeth
Found this book in the spare bedroom. Hadn't read it in years. My first though was...willjillhesterchesterpeterpollytimtommarylarry and little Clarinda. What a nice trip down memory lane of my childhood reading.
Hyrum
I liked it because they all thought it was a ghost but then they found it was Heck Jones' weird hogs. And another funny thing is that the sun froze to the ground it was so cold that winter.
Clare
I loved it!! Another favorite from childhood. I loved how he called his children to him. Good old country folks with some tall tales to spin.
Adam
A wonderful and only slightly creepy tall tale set in the American heartland. Fleischman is a marvelous storyteller, a national treasure.
Kate SouthernBelleSimple
this was one of my favorite books from childhood. i have lost my copy but i'm getting it from the library so i can relive this memory!
Melissa
I absolutely love McBroom and his many adventures. This is the first McBroom book I read. As a result, I've bought several more.
Wvalice
Some of the best children's books ever. I love these, and every child I've ever read them to loved them, too!
Charlie George
First book I read on my own initiative, 5 yrs old. Sadly, I remember it not a lick, so I cannot rate.
Sheryl Tribble
McBroom is not McBroom without the Frankenberg illos.
Kristen
Love McBroom! Wish he was in my family tree!
Candace
One of my favorites as a kid!
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Tara Walker
Tara Walker marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Lynn Ayers
Lynn Ayers marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Laresa
Laresa marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Samantha Severns
Samantha Severns marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Vicki
Vicki marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Shawna
Shawna marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Adventures of McBroom (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • McBroom Tells the Truth
  • McBroom Tells a Lie
  • Here Comes McBroom!: Three More Tall Tales
  • McBroom and the Beanstalk
  • McBroom and the Great Race
McBroom Tells the Truth Sir Charlie: Chaplin, the Funniest Man in the World The Giant Rat of Sumatra: or Pirates Galore McBroom's Ear The Case of the Cackling Ghost