Start by marking “Unhinge the Universe” as Want to Read:
Unhinge the Universe

Unhinge the Universe

2015 EPIC Award Finalist

SS Lieutenant Hagen Friedrichs is the sole survivor of a party sent to retrieve his brother—and the highly sensitive information he’s carrying—from behind enemy lines. But his daring rescue attempt fails, and Hagen becomes the prisoner.

Allied command has ordered Captain John Nicholls to extract critical intelligence from their new Nazi POW. His se
Published July 15th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Unhinge the Universe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unhinge the Universe

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter
2.5 tepid stars. Review posted January 12, 2015

photo oie_vTMbAptEGCg5_zpsmbxegxw6.gif
 photo oie_orEyte6qcE87_zpskgvbxr7k.gif

In my final update I said:
One solitary great scene can't save an entire book.

And here is my favorite scene:

(view spoiler)
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Another fabulous book by Aleks Voinov and L.A. Witt! I loved this one. They handled a tricky time period gracefully and realistically. A job well done!

I am very cautious about reading WWII books, especially those that have sympathetic German characters. Why? Well, I have lots of relatives that were in concentration camps, one of which is still living. Seeing those numbers tattooed on my great aunt's arm is a reminder of what she lived through and gives me shivers no matter how many times I have
Tina

I have to admit reviewing UtU isn't easy at all. I needed a few days to settle down after reading the story, sort out my inner turmoil and now I'm racking my brain to find words which live up to this sublime book... Not that it's possible...

Writing a historical novel with the purpose to entertain and at the same time maintaining the historical facts is not an easy task and a real challenge.

Anyone who has read Aleks' Skybound knows about his great passion for history and in particular WWII. So i
Shelley
This is a tandem review by Ilhem and I.

3.5 Stars for the Blog Of Sid Love

Expectations

“Unhinge the Universe”. We wanted to feel this. The shifts in power, the world toppling over and we wanted this story to be more than a history lesson with sex.

It was with wary trepidation that we approached Hagen’s character. As trusting as we were in the authors, Hagen being a soldier of the Waffen SS is by no means a detail. It was a welcomed challenge to look for the man behind the runic insignia and t
Lena♥Ribka

***Sensual intense non-stop goose bumps 5 Stars!***

In ancient Greek:
"Δώς μοι πᾶ στῶ καὶ τὰν γᾶν κινάσω."
Thos me pa sto ke tan gan kinaso

In modern Greek:
"Δώσ' μου πού να στηριχτώ και θα κινήσω τη γη."
Dos mou pou na stirihto ke tha kiniso tin gi

I prefer the version out of the book:

"Give me one fixed point and a long enough lever and I'll unhinge the universe..."

I fully support all exciting reviews.

What can I say? He did it again. Together with his friend.
I don't know the writing style o
Nick Pageant
Sep 11, 2016 Nick Pageant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, m-m
So much tension of the very best kind courtesy of Voinov and Witt! This is the best enemies to lovers story I've ever read. The two MCs, John and Hagen, are real enemies; John is an American soldier and Hagen is a captive Nazi soldier.

This book is not as action-driven as I expected it to be, the plot hinges much more on psychology. The dialogue between the two is what propels the story forward. I thought this was a great way to reveal both men and it had me rooting for both of them to come out o
Loederkoningin
Reread: still so goddamn amazing.

YES. I needed this book so badly. JJ, Lo-Lo, all the friggin love.

NTS: upgraded from 'perhaps' to 'to read'. Bribe Lo-Lo into making a podfic of the entire book instead of one scene. Play dirty if you have to.
Aleksandr Voinov
Oct 26, 2016 Aleksandr Voinov added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Up on Amazon and everywhere else.
Kaje Harper
Jul 23, 2013 Kaje Harper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, m-m, historical
This is the ultimate enemies-to-lovers story, bringing together American Captain John Nicholls, and SS Lieutenant Hagen Friedrichs, in the period after D-Day, as the Allies pushed the German army back across Europe. The authors manage to make this unlikely pair work in a way that is plausible, and true to history.

In a failed attempt to find his captured older brother, Hagen is taken prisoner by John. Interrogation is aided by getting into your prisoner's mindset, and John is a man who tries tri
Simsala
Trust a German and his writing partner to write a decent World War 2 novel without resorting to the usual (and much hated) stereotypical characters.
A surprisingly quiet but `hot` historical romance without heroic battle cries.
Loved it - thank you!
Irina
“Strange, he thought, how it really was the same for the men on either side of this war. It battered them all the same, broke men in one uniform as easily as the other, and deep down, everyone just wanted it to be over.”

Enemies-to-lovers is one of my favourite themes, and no one does it better than Alexandr Voinov, in my opinion. Two strong masculine MCs, a great suspense and a lot of sexual tension. What could be better than that?

Hagen

John

“We don’t have to choose sides.”

I couldn't help but
Breann
This is my first foray into an Aleksandr Voinov and L.A. Witt collab. I know, I know. Where the hell have I been? Under a rock, apparently. Well, I’m out and I SEE THE LIGHT! Gimme more of these two, please.

Both Hagan and John were such likeable characters and I sympathized and felt for them both. They had such hard decisions to make and heartbreaking stories to tell. Despite their necessary hardness due to the war, I still felt their innocence and how young these men were. Yes, they were total
Ilhem
3,5 stars

Buddy read and joint review with Shelley. Thanks, Shel!

A tandem review is a great fun to write and a pain to post on two profiles.
Since we have many common friends and we wanted a common thread for the joint review, we decided to post it on one profile only.

So, here's the fruit of both our feverish brains and compulsive editing. Follow the link, Shelley is the hostess.

See you there!
Jo
May 06, 2016 Jo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jo by: Samantha
description

Kinda reminds me of a raiders movie.

I love WWII books, I specialized in WWII history for my degree. It is one of those givens in all the fiction books I have read, Allies= Good, Nazis = Bad. French Resistance =Good, Nazis = Bad. Germans forced to fight a war they don't believe =Good and S.S.=Bad.

Unhinge the Universe was such a left turn to all to other books it was a window into the mind of why so many went along with all of the atrocities we know happened. I know this is fiction but there is s
Rachel
Mar 23, 2016 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, wwii, war
Another well done Voinov and Witt collaboration. Unhinge the Universe showcases their abilities as a team by producing a well researched historical romance that will be as successful as their starkly contrasting Market Garden series.

John and Hagen are not complexly written, but they are humanized. Not simple in the least, but lacking multilayered depth. They are nicely refreshing. Smartly crafted to be relatable and likeable without inclination to be unnecessarily dramatic. The plot is intellig
Mandapanda
I tried to read this twice but I couldn't get past how totally unrealistic it was in terms of the physical and emotional reactions of the two MC's. It's kind of a lite non-con fantasy set in France during World War II. At least it was up to where I stopped at 39%.

John made for a pretty ineffectual interrogator, more interested in getting his rocks off than gaining information. And Hagen squealed like a stuck pig from the first second. Not like any SS officer I've read about before. I totally di
Natasha
Nov 02, 2014 Natasha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read. When you go down to the bones of this story, it really is hopelessly romantic.
No annoyances, no misunderstandings, just two men falling in love and trying to find some way to be together.
Wonderful.
Mark
This has to be one of the most enthralling reads I have read to date. Intriguing, well balanced, beautifully written and packed full of suspense.

This book is a team effort by two authors and I must admit I'm always a little careful with collaborations because sometimes you can tell exactly which author is writing which part due to an abrupt change in style. I'm happy to say that this is not the case here. The book flows beautifully and if you didn't know any different then you would think it was
Bev
Jul 31, 2013 Bev rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bev by: Tina

Well what can I say?? Another Voinov/Witt collaboration that is going into my faves. 4.5 stars from me and

Shortie review cos there have been some pretty good ones done already especially Tina's, whose recommendation this book was for you my lovely, and of course my 'Dentist in her spare time' friend Heather....thanks to both of you for sharing your personal stories.

I got really engrossed in this novel, which was extremely well researched as you would expect from a self-confessed WWII nut (yes
Mercedes
Jul 26, 2013 Mercedes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars

If you are looking for an enemy to lovers story this is one you do not want to miss. Here we have two MCs at opposite sides of a war. But not only are they enemies because of this war, they also have reasons to hate each other personally.

The journey this book takes you starts with hate, contempt and fear that evolves into attraction and affection and later love and passion. The authors do an incredible job at taking you through a gamut of feelings you not only get to read about but als
Silkeeeeee
4.5 STAR SPANGLED STARS

I've been struggling with writing this review for a couple of days. There's no way for me to do this justice other than to just say what I liked/loved about this. There are plenty of professionals out there giving the dissection type reviews with flowery words.

I'll admit that first, Alek's style of writing just appeals to me. If I hadn't KNOWN he wrote this, I would have guessed it. There were lightly blown whispers of how I felt about the love affair in Special Forces. T
Xing
Jul 18, 2013 Xing rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unhinge the Universe (UTU) is a very thoughtful fiction set during WWII. I had my apprehensions when starting a book that stars a Nazi soldier (after all, I had nightmares about Nazi soldiers when I learned about the Holocaust in school). But regardless of my preconceptions and bias, Aleksandr Voinov has taught me that soldiers are an invention of war, and there is still capacity to love despite what soldiers are forced to do. So yes, Hagen is a Nazi soldier, but John (an American captain) fell ...more
*P*u*r*p*l*e* Masochist
"When I am released, will you come for me?"

Two soldiers.
John & Hagen.
An American and German.
A captor and prisoner.
Two sworn enemies brought together by war and politics what changes their life forever.
One word: Beautiful!

Aleksandr Voinov & L.A. Witt did it again!Another book on my favorite shelf.
Every mm fan should read this!
Sandra
I tend to devour anything written by the author duo Voinov/Witt, and this book was no different, though the subject matter and themes were very different from the Market Garden series.

It's a credit to them both that I felt sympathetic to Hagen, despite him being a Nazi soldier, SS on top of that. History is told somewhat differently in Germany (where I'm originally from) than it is in the US for this time period, and the authors did a fantastic job in reminding the reader that while war is horri
Christina
3.0

I have mixed feelings about this one. I enjoyed the historical backdrop and the romance, but unfortunately a few things fell short. First and foremost, I wish we saw more of John and Hagen in enemy mode. They are sworn enemies and it constantly felt like they were right on the edge of real animosity, but they never took that leap. Their hatred seemed watered down and nothing unexpected really happened. The interrogations were a bit trite, and everything fell into place way too easily.

As far
Alona
Aleks is killing me for the second time! (This time along with his friend Witt)
I can't stop thinking about little me, here in Israel, reading and loving a character that is an SS Nazi!
This book made me think about the characters and their individual stories, about the war and about human nature!
I loved both MC's and as almost always in Aleks's books, you feel every scene as if you are there. To me, in my head, and in my thoughts, WW2 is always in black and white and as I read this book my all b
Jenni
"The man who'd tried to break him, and then seemed to break with him--somehow, somewhere along the way--becoming a friend. A lover. This."

Unhinge the Universe is the story of Hagen and John: natural born enemies thrown together during a brutal war. Prisoner and captor, villain and hero, but what happens when the lines blur and the captor starts to empathize with his hostage? When they become friends, lovers…more?

"And still, the words and their truth echoed in the stillness: We don't have to
Marina
Originally Posted: http://www.larissaslife.com/2013/10/m...

Spoiler-free!

Reading a Voinov book is always a unique experience! Unhinge the Universe is taking place in the climax of the Second World War somewhere in the French countryside .

Hagen is a fierce German officer, an SS soldier on a mission to find his brother Major Siegfried Friedrichs and the information he holds, when he is captured he comes face to face with John Nicholls a captain of the American army and his interrogator.

John is deco
Eleanor (The Book Hammock)
I was very reluctant to read this book. I've had a lifetime of WW2 and Holocaust drama, being born and raised where I have, and have very rarely encountered a related topic that didn't touch the "Final Solution." So I read the premise of UtU and decided to give it a shot.
Not sorry at all. The story is about an intel operation during the final year of the war that went sour.

Hagen Friedrich, and SS officer, asked to accompany his brother Siegfried, a Wehrmacht (Germany army forces) officer and hi
  • Lovers in Arms
  • Capture & Surrender (Market Garden, #5)
  • Beguiled (Enlightenment, #2)
  • Deliverance: Hooch and Matt's Story
  • Blessed Isle
  • Semper Fi
  • Matelots (Raised By Wolves, #2)
  • Strain (Strain, #1)
  • Fragile Bond
  • Brothers of the Wild North Sea
  • According To Hoyle
  • He Is Worthy (Warriors of Rome, #2)
  • Out of the Blue
  • Mark of the Gladiator (Warriors of Rome, #4)
  • Bonds of Earth
  • Into Deep Waters
  • Allegiance: A Dublin Novella
  • Think of England (Think of England, #1)