Start by marking “Max's Dragon” as Want to Read:
Max's Dragon

Max's Dragon

Max is looking for words that rhyme. His dragon is in his wagon – or was, for now its tail has left a trail, which Max follows. He finds an umbrella on the ground— "Found, ground," he says, while his older brothers mock him for believing in dragons and sitting under an umbrella when it isn't even raining. But Max believes in possibilities—and when he can show his brothers ...more
Published March 18th 2008 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Max's Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Max's Dragon

Shawn
Mar 09, 2017 Shawn rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
A boy, with a large imagination, sees evidence of a dragon friend everywhere he looks. I love books that celebrate a child's imagination. This one was quite good and clever.
Janell
Mar 26, 2009 Janell rated it liked it
Max is on a quest for rhyming words. These rhymes take on a life of their own as he imagines a dragon in his wagon. His imaginary dragon friend is soon chased by a dinosaur cloud that brings a storm of words and rain. This could be used as a resource for teaching rhyming words to early elementary students but the wordplay, plot and logic are not as strong as in Max’s Words (Farrar, 2006) The book works best as a celebration of childhood imagination wherein words do indeed have power.
Deanna
Dec 30, 2008 Deanna rated it it was ok
The only reason it gets two stars is because it has a couple of dragons in it. In this house that's pretty "cool." I thought this book was very poorly written. I didn't "get" it. If I was eight I would say this book was "dumb."
Maggie
Aug 12, 2015 Maggie rated it really liked it
cute and silly, with rhyming and biiiig imaginations. great book for littles.
Natalie Rudolph
Mar 29, 2016 Natalie Rudolph rated it liked it
Max’s Dragon (2008) Written by Kate Banks and Illustrated by Boris Kulikov

This picture book tells the story of Max and his brothers, Karl and Benjamin, who are playing outside. Max is looking for words that rhyme when he swears that he is talking to the dragon in his wagon. While Max and his brothers follow the dragon, Max details what is happening through rhymes. Everything is well until Max says, “My dragon’s roar has made it pour,” signifying that the dragon is at fault for the unwanted rain.
Barbara
In search of words that rhyme, the irrepressible Max [of Max's Words fame] has never met a cloud he didn't like or a simple task that he couldn't make more interesting and less mundane. As he follows the trail of his dragon, his two siblings eventually join him after at first making fun of him. To get rid of the dinosaur that seems to be chasing the dragon through the sky, Max suggests that they make rhymes. Even the sound of thunder rumbling is laid at the feet of the dragon, now snoring. The t ...more
Brittany Rockhill
Dec 01, 2016 Brittany Rockhill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-lit
Max’s Dragon is a book full of rhyming and witty phrases, but it never ceases to tell a beautiful story. The story involves imagination, creativity, and play. A lot of rhyming book used in schools are out of context rhymes that just match up with illustrations and have no plot. These books can be boring and dull, but this book follows a plot and involves characters that rhyme as part of their game. There is rich vocabulary and engaging illustrations. There is problem solving and good communicati ...more
Angela
Best for kids ages 4 and up.
Early Literacy Skills: Print Motivation, Vocabulary, Phonological Awareness, Narrative Skills

From cover:
Max is on a quest. He is looking for words that rhyme. His clever couplets take him through a croquet game, into a storm, and onto the trail of a playful dragon. But then the dragon begins to threaten the fun, and there is but one thing to do: Make another rhyme.

Cute and funny, kids will love to read about Max and his dragon while learning about words that rhyme.
Kelly
Jan 19, 2009 Kelly rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, picture-book
Caveat: I haven't read Max's Words, so I'm not sure how this book compares.[return][return]This text felt way too long when reading the book aloud to my daughter. Almost every line is a piece of dialog from one of three boy characters. Their lines are right after another, which makes it difficult to read them in different voices. And the fact that they're all boys around the same age would make that difficult anyway.
Karin
Aug 03, 2012 Karin rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Didn't like this one as much, but the real judge is my son and he hasn't gotten it yet - I just bought it because I enjoyed the other two "Max" books so much!

Update: This one is just ok. My kids asked me to read it once or twice then pretty much lost interest. Stick to Max's Castle and Max's Words, they liked those much better.
Amy
Aug 06, 2013 Amy rated it it was ok
With SO many amazing rhyming books for kids (not to mention poetry, hello) why do we need a book that emphasizes the need to find rhyming words without actually being an engaging story?

As a read aloud it was unsatisfying because the rhyme comes and goes so there isn't a good rhythm. My daughter did not really like the illustration styles.

george
Aug 13, 2008 george rated it it was ok
The story is about Max on the hunt for rhymes. The rhymes are kind of fun and I can imagine that it would be fun to read aloud to a young child, but I really didn't care for it too much. The illustrations were just ok, and the story just didn't seem to flow for me--seemed that Banks was just looking for rhyming words with little attention paid to the actual storyline.
Brynja Carlson
Nov 10, 2012 Brynja Carlson rated it did not like it
What a dumb book. It's about a kid who sees an imaginary dragon in the sky and he's telling his brothers all about what he "sees" the dragon doing. The whole time he is rhyming, but it is just kind of a random thing that is thrown into the story and the rhymes seem forced. The pictures were not cute or fun either. The kids are weird looking. Nobody in our family liked this book.
Kristie Oke
Mar 27, 2012 Kristie Oke rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book explores how one boy's imagination helps him to make friends with some other boys who started off making fun of him. The game played in the book helps readers hear certain rhymes and how to use the rhyming words. It also shows the patterns of the rhyming words while taking the boys on a short adventure with dragons and dinosaurs.
Janae
May 27, 2014 Janae rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
I don't know what rating I would give this (honestly, I thought it was odd), but my 3 year old son LOVED it. It might be the first book that he requested we read again immediately upon finishing it. I think 95% of his admiration for this book is because there is a dinosaur and dragon in it. Well, sort of in it.
LJ
Feb 09, 2013 LJ rated it really liked it
At first I thought this would be just about making words rhyme, but there is a great story too. I loved the creative word play and the resourceful imaginations of the three boys playing croquet (sometimes in the rain).
Jamie
Dec 07, 2010 Jamie rated it it was amazing
This is a great literacy book. This little boy is so exciting about words and is always teaching his brothers something new. This book is specifically about rhyming words. After reading, students could go and write using rhyming words just like Max.
Alice
Feb 20, 2015 Alice rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-50-stars
3.5 Stars Our library copy of this book is pretty trashed, but I liked the story enough that I am going to tape it up and give it a few more miles. I like the rhyming and the imagination! It made the cut!
Lari
Feb 15, 2014 Lari rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This book would be great to read to kids before any rhyming game. It would also be a fun one to read in conjunction with a mini field trip to have students look at clouds in the sky and write a story about their cloud pictures.
Chris
Dec 08, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
See review for Max's Words.
Stacy268
Apr 06, 2008 Stacy268 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picturebooks
Wow. A let down after Max's Words. My 2nd graders who loved the first title, down right didn't get this one. Banks seemed to be trying to get too much into this book.
Benjamin Elliott
Mar 31, 2016 Benjamin Elliott rated it liked it
The characters say rhyming things, but the book itself is not told in rhyme. It is fanciful and entertaining.
Christina Bontrager
Oct 27, 2011 Christina Bontrager rated it really liked it
This would be a great book to use when teaching rhyme. The characters have to develop internal rhyme to control the story. The story also demonstrates cooperation skills.
Debbie Erwin
Nov 02, 2013 Debbie Erwin rated it really liked it
Shelves: 544
Rhyming book. Shows how imagination can be contagious.
Magila
Dec 20, 2012 Magila rated it it was ok
Beautiful and quirky art. A few good rhymes. Otherwise terribly disappointing.
Casandria
An interesting book about imagination and rhyming. I'm not sure the illustrations work for story time though...
imagination
rhyming
Shelli
Jul 13, 2008 Shelli rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Max spends a day finding rhyming words and using his imagination to make those words come to life.
Pauline
Jul 25, 2009 Pauline rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
VERY clever story - Robby loved guessing the rhyming words in each part; beautiful illustrations as well!
Susan Erhardt
Jun 02, 2008 Susan Erhardt rated it really liked it
This us a fun book about rhyming words, though I didn't like it quite as well at Max's Words by the same author.
Mariah Christensen
Jun 21, 2013 Mariah Christensen rated it really liked it
  • Good Thing You're Not an Octopus!
  • The Sunflower Sword
  • A Particular Cow
  • My Friend, the Starfinder
  • Cock-A-Doodle-Hoooo!
  • The Red Lemon
  • And the Dish Ran Away with the Spoon
  • Magic Box
  • Zomo the Rabbit: A Trickster Tale from West Africa
  • Believe Me, Goldilocks Rocks!: The Story of the Three Bears as Told by Baby Bear
  • The Flower Man
  • Goldie Socks and the Three Libearians
  • Can You Growl Like a Bear?
  • The Ant and the Grasshopper
  • Earth to Clunk
  • Madeline and the Cats of Rome
  • Kitty Cat, Kitty Cat, Are You Going to Sleep?
  • Meet Me at the Moon
Kate Banks has written many books for children, among them Max’s Words, And If the Moon Could Talk, winner of the Boston Globe–Horn Book Award, and The Night Worker, winner of the Charlotte Zolotow Award. She grew up in Maine, where she and her two sisters and brother spent a lot of time outdoors, and where Banks developed an early love of reading. “I especially liked picture books,” she says, “an ...more
More about Kate Banks...