Start by marking “Bears in the Night” as Want to Read:
Bears in the Night

Bears in the Night (The Berenstain Bears)

4.14  ·  Rating Details ·  2,474 Ratings  ·  106 Reviews
Seven bears sneak out of bed, through the window, and across the dark countryside to investigate the source of a noise.
Published 1972 by Collins (first published August 12th 1971)

Erica
Although I really loved Green Eggs and Ham, I think this was my most-ever-favorite I Can Read By Myself book. Ok, this and The Berenstains' B Book.

I had this book memorized. I could perform it dramatically for anyone, anytime, anywhere. I still remember "To the window...at the window...out the window. Out the window, down the tree" And there's over the wall and around the lake and UP SPOOK HILL...and so on.

Not only is this book a great introduction to prepositions and spatial relations but it m
Aine
Sep 08, 2012 Aine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the record, I am NOT a Berenstain Bears fan.

BUT... this book and Inside, Outside, Upside Down are two of our favorite bedtime stories. ESPECIALLY Bears in the Night. I guess it's because the text is so easy even the smallest child can memorize it and "read" along with you. And, there is no storyline about an idiot dad.

We.... start..... with.... our.... voices..... low........ and.. slow........ until the hoot owl says WHOOOOOO! And then we read really fast as the bears run back into bed. W
Noelle Jensen, Age 5
Hoo! Hoo! I a spooky owl. Don't worry, I no eat people. I just smell flowers.
May 03, 2017 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My kids have been really enjoying this book. It's very simple and linear, and a great way for kids to learn about prepositions.
Mark
Mar 11, 2016 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
Woooooohoooooo!!
This book is so much - just as I will not eat green eggs and ham, I will not eat them Sam I am. The same sort of repetitive prose following our bears as they adventure out into the night.
The words and illustrations are clear and simple making this a great learning to read book and a guilty pleasure for the older generations - Come on we all secretly have a 'geek' band we sing along to when we hear their stuff.
Read it, read it again, read it out loud or with a friend. Don't be shy
Jeannie
Another treasure from the Berenstains! It is a clever story the builds as the bear cubs venture out at night. A cute way to introduce prepositions too!
Cassandra Gelvin
Unnecessary explicit preposition instruction.

Well, that was a complete lack of a story. An older Berenstain Bears book with an updated cover. Oddly enough, no Papa Bear, and there seem to be seven Bear children, all sleeping in the same bed. They hear a noise; they go investigate it; it's an owl; they run back home. But this needs to be told in very simplistic language, describing everything they are doing on the way, and using a lot of different prepositions. "In bed", "Out of bed", "To the win
Relyn
Mar 10, 2017 Relyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers
Recommended to Relyn by: ???
Shelves: lawsonland
What a perfect book for teaching prepositions. FUN!
David Sarkies
Aug 02, 2013 David Sarkies rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids and people learning English
Recommended to David by: My parents
Shelves: childrens
A great way to learn prepositions
2 August 2013

The cover of this book identifies it as being a Beginner Book for Beginning Beginners, which sort of puts me way, way, way out of its category. This book is pretty much designed for people who are learning to read (though surprisingly, there are probably more people my age who are at this level, and have spoken English most of their lives, than the government is willing to admit).
Hey, I'm not going to knock this book because as a kid I loved it. Th
Emily
While this book will win no awards I still think it would be very appealing for children. Its simple language will be easy and fun for kids to read. It also contained many site words that it is important for children to start to recognize. A book like this would be great for that because it repeats a lot of words. It could also be used to teach directions such as up, down, and over. Also children might be interested because there are many other Berenstain Bear books. The illustrations did an alr ...more
Connie
Jul 23, 2008 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the earlier Berenstain Bear books, and it shows. As you can see on the the cover, the bears are less stylized and cutesy than the bears in the newer books, and the story is an early reader instead of a longer read-aloud.

It's a cute little story about several cubs (sharing a bed - cosleepers take note!) who sneak out of home one night to investigate a mysterious WHOOOOOOO.

There are only a few words per page, with a basic vocabulary, so this one is perfect little-little ones learnin
Kate Puleo Unger
Jul 24, 2016 Kate Puleo Unger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books-read
I love Bears in the Night. It's a very easy read, but it has a fun way of building on itself, so that the string of phrases gets longer with each page. Sort of like the song "The Green Grass Grows All Around". It also helps young kids with understanding prepositions - over, under, around, etc.

It also has a bit of suspense. One of the bears sneaks out of the window and night and travels through the countryside until something frightens him and he has to retrace his steps back home. This book is a
Evelyn Saenz
The bears sneak out of bed and go outside to look for adventure.

Using prepositions written in large print to accompany the illustrations, the authors tell the tale of where the bears to and then reverse the order as they run back home to jump safely into bed.

Great for story hour, this book is easily memorized enabling children to use it as a reference or wordwall to help them spell preposition words.

I like to use it as part of my Go Away Big Green Monster Unit Study to try to help kids find ways
Jordan Lee
Apr 16, 2013 Jordan Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book about little bears sneaking out of their house at night to go explore. When they are out they go all over and around until they get to a spooky hill and race back home because they are too scared. We would use this book in our classrooms not to necessarily teach about the dark but also to teach that you shouldn't leave the house without your parents. It is a perfect book for early readers because there is a lot of repetition that would allow for the students to be more involved in ...more
Tawnie
Oct 06, 2008 Tawnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
Grades: K to 3 Genre: Animals
A bunch of bears sneak out of the bed at night to explore Spook Hill. They are startled by an owl and run back home to hide in their beds. This simple story is great for the earliest readers. Each page has just a few sentences that often build on the last sentence. The repetition will help young readers feel more confident by the end of the book. The simple paintings of the bears as they explore the night are full of each of the elements of the story and do a good jo
Madeline
Nov 14, 2016 Madeline rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: family, love, bears, dark, night
While reading this book, I really appreciated all the illustrations as I'm sure it's not easy to make the bears look so realistic, as if they were people. However, the book was too simple wording wise that I wouldn't use it in my classroom, but just a story to read to my niece and nephew growing up. It describes actions more than it tells a story in a flowing manner. The bears are in bed, they hear a sound of an owl, then the book goes through where they seem to go in order to figure out where t ...more
Dolly
Jun 28, 2008 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents going with them.
Shelves: childrens, 2008
Not sure if I like this story - showing kids sneaking out of bed and going outside at night. From the perspective of a parent of a beginning reader, it's a great book that has repetitive phrases and lots of descriptive words (over, under, through) that help with reading comprehension. Our girls like the story, although I still maintain that I don't like the idea of encouraging kids to sneak out of the house.
Lucy Hernandez
This book offers a little vocabulary, which is great for little ones. A lot of repetition is found and basically, it is all about prepositions. There is not a variety in colors, but pictures are very detailed.

Extension:
It is time to play!!!!!. Provide items to the kids like chairs, table, pillows, boxes, so they can go under, over, through, out, in, down, between, etc. Kids love to get challenged. So, you just let them do the things you want them to do.
MaKayla Holopirek
This book does a great job of repeating words that help the reader memorize the story. It's an easy story that young children love because it's exciting to figure out what's going to happen next. I personally liked this book because my mom read it to me before going to bed. After my mom read the book, I would ask her to read it multiple of times.
Kathy
Mar 11, 2010 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: easy-readers
A reader with each page having an entertaining picture and a phrase, that add up into a story about going out at night time. This is from the "Bright and Early Books" series, other Berenstain Bears are in the "Beginner Books" series from Random House. The likeable Bear Family spawned a popular PBS series.
Terra Lewis
Apr 24, 2012 Terra Lewis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I ever read by myself. Then it was the first book I ever read to myself silently (though my sister didn't believe me and I had no way to prove it). My mom read this book to us in a particular cadence which I still use when I read it to my niece and nephew. My mom liked it because it teaches prepositions :).
Ashley Hilton
This book is great for children who are just beginning to read. It is very simple, and interesting. The illustrations are cute and creative. Some very curious bears hear a noise so they leave their bed to investigate it. Once they find the source of that noise which is an owl, they immediately turn around and run home to jump back into their bed.
Cindi
Oct 16, 2008 Cindi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent choice for beginning readers. The illustrations in this book are eye catching, and the words are beyond simple. For kids who only know a few words, this is perfect for them. My kids still want to know why the Mom never notices her kids sneaking out of their room and taking off into the night :o)
Amy
Oct 26, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By far, my FAVORITE children's book of all time. I could read this every night to Hailey. Grew up with this book, had it memorized when I was little and so enjoy sharing it with her. Our copy, from 1971, has no spine, and my brother's scribbled names and airplane drawings in the inside covers. This book has been so loved.
chucklesthescot
My favourite childhood book with the cute wee cartoon bears! I still have my original copy! Ah the memories as you watch the wee bears get out of their beds and go on a spooky journey to find out what is making the noise in the woods...the bears expressions are so cute and I still enjoy looking at it and chanting along with the story!
Perennial favorites, the Berenstain Bears readers continue to inspire children. These beginning readers offer more simplified story lines, with fewer words that still manage to convey a humorous story. In this installment, brother and sister bear have snuck out of bed, and can be found demonstrating different prepositions, over, under, and so on.
Diego
Feb 03, 2015 Diego rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just re-reading my childhood books. I found a bunch but just wanted to read them again. As we grow up we look at things differently and this was quick and short read, I remembered the pictures and the exciting adventure from one page to the next. I now cherish my reading even more. These books truly gave me the desire to read.
Steph Elias
Jun 17, 2010 Steph Elias rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book and have given my kids the original copy I got back in the 70's. It has great illustrations and the writing is perfect. It repeats the words alot so kids really remember them. This a great book for parents of younger kids, really helps with learning the words. A timeless classic that will be around forever.
Len Washko
Sep 10, 2010 Len Washko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now this is a top-notch B-Bears book. The cubs are on a big time adventure, complete with mystery, wild animals and big frights in the night. My youngest learned to read by memorizing this one word for word. Highly recommended as a read-aloud!
Ruth
Sep 29, 2013 Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a middle school teacher, I'm always looking for clever ways to reinforce grammar and syntax and am thrilled I had found this book. Not only is it clever and funny, but it also provides many proper uses of prepositions! And it's also fun to read with my 2-yr-old!
  • Cat Traps (Step-Into-Reading, Step 1)
  • Would You Rather Be a Bullfrog?
  • Flap Your Wings
  • Bearshadow (Moonbear)
  • Please Try to Remember the First of Octember!
  • Pretzel
  • Little Goblins Ten
  • Oliver
  • Four Little Kittens (a Little Golden Book)
  • Fred and Ted Go Camping
  • Happy Hippo, Angry Duck
  • What Makes A Rainbow (Magic Ribbon Books)
  • A Crack in the Track (Bright & Early Board Books)
  • Richard Scarry's The Best Mistake Ever! and Other Stories
  • Mr. Christmas
  • Leo the Lop
  • Wings on Things
More about Stan Berenstain...

The Berenstain Bears (1 - 10 of 73 books)
  • The Berenstain Bears' New Baby
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to School
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Sitter
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor
  • The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day
  • The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist
  • The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to Camp (First Look Books, #7)
  • The Berenstain Bears in the Dark