Start by marking “Bears in the Night” as Want to Read:
Bears in the Night

Bears in the Night (The Berenstain Bears)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  2,009 ratings  ·  88 reviews
Seven bears sneak out of bed, through the window, and across the dark countryside to investigate the source of a noise.
Published 1972 by Collins (first published August 12th 1971)

Erica
Although I really loved Green Eggs and Ham, I think this was my most-ever-favorite I Can Read By Myself book. Ok, this and The Berenstains' B Book.

I had this book memorized. I could perform it dramatically for anyone, anytime, anywhere. I still remember "To the window...at the window...out the window. Out the window, down the tree" And there's over the wall and around the lake and UP SPOOK HILL...and so on.

Not only is this book a great introduction to prepositions and spatial relations but it m
Aine
For the record, I am NOT a Berenstain Bears fan.

BUT... this book and Inside, Outside, Upside Down are two of our favorite bedtime stories. ESPECIALLY Bears in the Night. I guess it's because the text is so easy even the smallest child can memorize it and "read" along with you. And, there is no storyline about an idiot dad.

We.... start..... with.... our.... voices..... low........ and.. slow........ until the hoot owl says WHOOOOOO! And then we read really fast as the bears run back into bed. W
Jeannie
Another treasure from the Berenstains! It is a clever story the builds as the bear cubs venture out at night. A cute way to introduce prepositions too!
David Sarkies
Mar 30, 2014 David Sarkies rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids and people learning English
Recommended to David by: My parents
Shelves: childrens
A great way to learn prepositions
2 August 2013

The cover of this book identifies it as being a Beginner Book for Beginning Beginners, which sort of puts me way, way, way out of its category. This book is pretty much designed for people who are learning to read (though surprisingly, there are probably more people my age who are at this level, and have spoken English most of their lives, than the government is willing to admit).
Hey, I'm not going to knock this book because as a kid I loved it. Th
Emily
While this book will win no awards I still think it would be very appealing for children. Its simple language will be easy and fun for kids to read. It also contained many site words that it is important for children to start to recognize. A book like this would be great for that because it repeats a lot of words. It could also be used to teach directions such as up, down, and over. Also children might be interested because there are many other Berenstain Bear books. The illustrations did an alr ...more
Diego
Just re-reading my childhood books. I found a bunch but just wanted to read them again. As we grow up we look at things differently and this was quick and short read, I remembered the pictures and the exciting adventure from one page to the next. I now cherish my reading even more. These books truly gave me the desire to read.
Sarah Adamson
A really fantastic book! How awesome is this story. A great lesson for the kids on nightly adventures but far more a great adventure book teaching basic language and fun for early readers. Love this book!
Connie
This is one of the earlier Berenstain Bear books, and it shows. As you can see on the the cover, the bears are less stylized and cutesy than the bears in the newer books, and the story is an early reader instead of a longer read-aloud.

It's a cute little story about several cubs (sharing a bed - cosleepers take note!) who sneak out of home one night to investigate a mysterious WHOOOOOOO.

There are only a few words per page, with a basic vocabulary, so this one is perfect little-little ones learnin
Sarah Adamson
A wonderful adventure for three little bears with plenty of repetition and easy phrases with fun rhymes for the parent to read to the child or the young reader to learn to read.
Samantha
To be honest, this was labeled as being for first grade at my library, but I feel it should've been labeled as an early reader. It's very simplistic and very few words per page.
Evelyn Saenz
The bears sneak out of bed and go outside to look for adventure.

Using prepositions written in large print to accompany the illustrations, the authors tell the tale of where the bears to and then reverse the order as they run back home to jump safely into bed.

Great for story hour, this book is easily memorized enabling children to use it as a reference or wordwall to help them spell preposition words.

I like to use it as part of my Go Away Big Green Monster Unit Study to try to help kids find ways
Sandra Watts
I loved this book as a child. Now its time for my grand kids to have it read to them.
Tawnie
Grades: K to 3 Genre: Animals
A bunch of bears sneak out of the bed at night to explore Spook Hill. They are startled by an owl and run back home to hide in their beds. This simple story is great for the earliest readers. Each page has just a few sentences that often build on the last sentence. The repetition will help young readers feel more confident by the end of the book. The simple paintings of the bears as they explore the night are full of each of the elements of the story and do a good jo
Jordan Lee
This is a book about little bears sneaking out of their house at night to go explore. When they are out they go all over and around until they get to a spooky hill and race back home because they are too scared. We would use this book in our classrooms not to necessarily teach about the dark but also to teach that you shouldn't leave the house without your parents. It is a perfect book for early readers because there is a lot of repetition that would allow for the students to be more involved in ...more
Dorothy Towslee
"I liked when they went out their window."
Lynley
A great primer reader.
Joe
First book i ever read.
Lucy Hernandez
This book offers a little vocabulary, which is great for little ones. A lot of repetition is found and basically, it is all about prepositions. There is not a variety in colors, but pictures are very detailed.

Extension:
It is time to play!!!!!. Provide items to the kids like chairs, table, pillows, boxes, so they can go under, over, through, out, in, down, between, etc. Kids love to get challenged. So, you just let them do the things you want them to do.
Dolly
Jun 28, 2008 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents going with them.
Shelves: childrens, 2008
Not sure if I like this story - showing kids sneaking out of bed and going outside at night. From the perspective of a parent of a beginning reader, it's a great book that has repetitive phrases and lots of descriptive words (over, under, through) that help with reading comprehension. Our girls like the story, although I still maintain that I don't like the idea of encouraging kids to sneak out of the house.
Perennial favorites, the Berenstain Bears readers continue to inspire children. These beginning readers offer more simplified story lines, with fewer words that still manage to convey a humorous story. In this installment, brother and sister bear have snuck out of bed, and can be found demonstrating different prepositions, over, under, and so on.
Ashley Hilton
This book is great for children who are just beginning to read. It is very simple, and interesting. The illustrations are cute and creative. Some very curious bears hear a noise so they leave their bed to investigate it. Once they find the source of that noise which is an owl, they immediately turn around and run home to jump back into their bed.
Terra Wolfe
This is the first book I ever read by myself. Then it was the first book I ever read to myself silently (though my sister didn't believe me and I had no way to prove it). My mom read this book to us in a particular cadence which I still use when I read it to my niece and nephew. My mom liked it because it teaches prepositions :).
chucklesthescot
My favourite childhood book with the cute wee cartoon bears! I still have my original copy! Ah the memories as you watch the wee bears get out of their beds and go on a spooky journey to find out what is making the noise in the woods...the bears expressions are so cute and I still enjoy looking at it and chanting along with the story!
Steph Elias
I love this book and have given my kids the original copy I got back in the 70's. It has great illustrations and the writing is perfect. It repeats the words alot so kids really remember them. This a great book for parents of younger kids, really helps with learning the words. A timeless classic that will be around forever.
Amy
By far, my FAVORITE children's book of all time. I could read this every night to Hailey. Grew up with this book, had it memorized when I was little and so enjoy sharing it with her. Our copy, from 1971, has no spine, and my brother's scribbled names and airplane drawings in the inside covers. This book has been so loved.
Cindi
Another excellent choice for beginning readers. The illustrations in this book are eye catching, and the words are beyond simple. For kids who only know a few words, this is perfect for them. My kids still want to know why the Mom never notices her kids sneaking out of their room and taking off into the night :o)
Kathy
A reader with each page having an entertaining picture and a phrase, that add up into a story about going out at night time. This is from the "Bright and Early Books" series, other Berenstain Bears are in the "Beginner Books" series from Random House. The likeable Bear Family spawned a popular PBS series.
Wickedshizuku (and her 7 Black cats)
Mar 20, 2015 Wickedshizuku (and her 7 Black cats) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Preschoolers and up
Recommended to Wickedshizuku by: Scholastic Book Club
This is a cute and spooky story for the kids. My daughter isn't to much of a fan, but my son loved it. I am always reminded of Halloween when I flip through its pages. A very good lesson for children that they shouldn't leave the house when it's night time.
Spooky reading to you kids!
Bean
This has quickly become a family fav as Tey is learning to read from it due to the repetition and Bean and enjoys reading it to him too. They both think it quite humorous that little bears would seek out at night without a parent but the best part is hooting when the owl is discovered.
Christina Robbins
This is a great beginner book! Its easy to read and only has a couple word sentences. Throughout the book it has adverbs describing what the bears are doing. It teaches that it isn't a good choice to sneak out of bed or he will find something that will scare him back in bed.
  • Would You Rather Be a Bullfrog?
  • Flap Your Wings
  • Bearshadow (Moonbear)
  • Pretzel
  • Oliver
  • Please Try to Remember the First of Octember!
  • The Hair Book (Bright & Early Book)
  • Franklin Is Lost
  • Leo the Lop
  • Four Little Kittens (Little Little Golden Book)
  • Richard Scarry's The Best Mistake Ever! and Other Stories
  • Paddington Bear
  • The Animals' Christmas Eve
  • On Beyond Bugs (Cat In The Hat's Learning Library)
More about Stan Berenstain...

The Berenstain Bears (1 - 10 of 73 books)
  • The Berenstain Bears' New Baby
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to School
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Sitter
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor
  • The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day
  • The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist
  • The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to Camp (First Look Books, #7)
  • The Berenstain Bears in the Dark
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Messy Room
The Berenstain Bears and the Messy Room The Berenstain Bears' Trouble at School Inside, Outside, Upside Down (Berenstain Bears Bright and Early Board Book) The Berenstain Bears Forget Their Manners The Berenstain Bears and Too Much TV