Start by marking “Barren Corn” as Want to Read:
Barren Corn

Barren Corn

When Hugh Salinger announced the news of his disastrously ill-assorted marriage with Laura Burton, his family expected him to bring home an adventuress. It might, in the end, have been better, for Laura, undeniably beautiful, simple & selfless in her love for Hugh, was not of the stuff facile imitators are made from, & her very singlemindedness prevented her from s ...more
Published December 1st 1976 by Buccaneer Books (first published 1930)

To ask other readers questions about Barren Corn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barren Corn

Laura by Vera CasparyLark Rise to Candleford by Flora ThompsonHigh Rising by Angela ThirkellLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderLark Rise by Flora Thompson
"Laura"
65th out of 88 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Carol ♛ Type, Oh Queen! ♛
Jul 01, 2016 Carol ♛ Type, Oh Queen! ♛ rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Masochistic Heyer completists only
Recommended to Carol ♛ Type, Oh Queen! ♛ by: No one
Shelves: georgette-heyer
This is the first time since I've been on GR that I have read a book I was sure I was going to hate.

A copy of this, one of the titles the strong minded Heyer suppressed, turned up at the op (charity) shop I volunteer at.

photo barrencorn.jpg

Lucky (I guess) that I was there, as normally broken spine books get thrown straight in the recycling bin. Anyone who has paid collector prices for this - read & weep. My lovely boss refused to accept my offer & I paid NZ$8 for it.

There are some positives - mainly that
Lisa
Apr 05, 2012 Lisa rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
The best I can say of this is that it's an interesting social document. I can dismiss Georgette Heyer's sexism and classism when she's writing escapist romances and mysteries, but in plain fiction these views are repellent and melodramatic. I guess the pacing and descriptions are good as always, but the book leaves a bad taste (on so many levels). Ugh.
Joy
Jan 18, 2009 Joy rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: people who like early twentieth century fiction.
A tragedy, caused by a shop girl allowing herself to be persuaded to marry the nephew of a baron. BARREN CORN was later suppressed by the author. I couldn't read it for long -- eventually I looked at the end and decided not to put myself through it.
Kate
Oct 02, 2011 Kate rated it did not like it
Shelves: chick-lit
Critterbee
May 29, 2016 Critterbee rated it it was ok
Shelves: heyer
After the horrible reviews from other Heyer fans, I ordered a copy Barren Corn through my library's ILL service.
Short conclusion: I did not find it as repulsive as others have found it.

It felt like an exercise in writing, as if she were practicing and not editing herself very well. Everything that happened in the story was obvious well in advance, no surprises here. The stupidity of most of the characters built a wall that prevented me from caring much about any of them. Character development, o
Sara
Feb 07, 2010 Sara rated it liked it
Shelves: heyer
Audry
Aug 18, 2010 Audry rated it did not like it
I did not like it at all. Started like it could be interesting, but got more and more depressing, and then ended awful. Made me cry. Wished I had never read it. Laura and Hugh meet in Italy, on a hill, where she was for a short vacation, and he was painting a picture, also in Italy for a recovery from a sickness. They end up getting married, in spite of their difference in social status. Hugh gets increasingly upset over her lack of ability to pick up the mannerisms of his class, and her awkward ...more
Sharon
May 18, 2011 Sharon rated it it was ok
Shelves: about-uk
An unusual entry for Heyer - sort of an anti-romance. Whereas many of her romance novels features men and women from different social classes overcoming obstacles to find true love, this story is the inverse. While it may be more realistic to imagine a poor outcome for such a marriage, I found the love part of this story the most difficult to believe. Why would this level-headed woman fall for a ne'er-do-well? Well-written, but the author's outlook on her characters was more cynical than I am us ...more
Mindy
May 31, 2015 Mindy rated it it was amazing
Not a happy story, but a good tragedy. Heyer herself believed in a rigid class system, and this story gives some validity to her views.
Tara
Oct 10, 2011 Tara rated it liked it
Only the second book I've read by Heyer with a sad ending. Interesting read - I didn't like the male main character, and I thought the girl too good for him. Made me wonder how she was able to love someone w/ such glaring faults, enough to give up her own life... Anyway, I enjoyed Heyer's style, as always, but I don't think I'll reread this one, unlike the majority of her books (some of which I've read three times already).
Jane
Apr 04, 2011 Jane rated it did not like it
Shelves: general-fiction
This is the only Heyer I own that I've read once and never again and I don't see this changing. Gah. To a modern reader, the heroine is so alien as to be impossible to sympathise with and I wnated to give her and her husband a swift slap.

I always wanted to read her other contemporary stories but after this one I stopped looking for them.
Darla
Apr 08, 2011 Darla rated it did not like it
I intend to read Ms. Heyer's biography when this year is done. I'm very anxious to know what she was going through when she wrote this one. A sad, sad tale. Would not recommend this to anyone...
Leslie
Dec 22, 2012 Leslie rated it it was ok
Shelves: contemporary, british
I really wanted to like this "contemporary" novel (set in the 40's) since I love Heyer's Regency-era fiction... Unfortunately it is pretty boring and the characters never really engaged my interest.
Heidi
Aug 01, 2012 Heidi rated it did not like it
Like watching a train wreck in agonizing slow motion. The most depressing Heyer book. I need to read Fredrica after this to restore my humor.
Amber
Sep 21, 2009 Amber rated it it was ok
This is the only time I've been disappointed by Georgette Heyer. The story is haunting, but there is nothing positive about it.
Miss Jane
Feb 10, 2009 Miss Jane rated it did not like it
Shelves: heyer-project, 2008
Completely unlikeable characters and absolutely the most infuriating ending I've read in a long time.
Cheryl
Jul 19, 2009 Cheryl rated it did not like it
Did not like at all. Can't believe it was Georgette Heyer.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Jacqueline Hiscock
Jacqueline Hiscock marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Prachi Jagirdar
Prachi Jagirdar marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Ames
Ames rated it did not like it
Aug 07, 2016
Kathryn Lynam
Kathryn Lynam marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Kylie Walton
Kylie Walton rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Jerri
Jerri rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Tinasteelepenn
Tinasteelepenn rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Huldie
Huldie marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Jacqueline Lane
Jacqueline Lane marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Elizabeth Scheller Williams
Elizabeth Scheller Williams rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Aileth
Aileth marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Georgette Heyer Fans: Barren Corn 42 23 Jul 03, 2016 10:33AM
  • The Trouble with Princesses (The Princess Brides, #3)
  • The Shooting Party
  • Elyza
  • The Mammoth Book of Regency Romance
  • Neck & Neck (Kentucky Derby, #3)
  • The Liar's Tale: A History of Falsehood
  • Forever Rumpole: The Best of the Rumpole Stories
  • Gaia and God: An Ecofeminist Theology of Earth Healing
  • John Donne: Collected Poetry (Penguin Classics)
  • Magnificent Corpses: Searching Through Europe for St. Peter's Head, St. Claire's Heart, St. Stephen's Hand, and Other Saintly Relic
  • Romance Novel
  • The Reverberator
  • Scent of Cloves
  • Cat People
  • The Answer & La Respuesta
  • The Marigold Chain
  • Doing It for Daddy: Short and Sexy Fiction about a Very Forbidden Fantasy
  • Jane Austen and Food
Georgette Heyer was a prolific historical romance and detective fiction novelist. Her writing career began in 1921, when she turned a story for her younger brother into the novel The Black Moth.

In 1925 she married George Ronald Rougier, a mining engineer, and he often provided basic plot outlines for her thrillers. Beginning in 1932, Heyer released one romance novel and one thriller each year.

Hey
More about Georgette Heyer...