The Butterfly's Way: Voices from the Haitian Dyaspora in the United States

The Butterfly's Way: Voices from the Haitian Dyaspora in the United States

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  10 reviews
In four sections�Childhood, Migration, First Generation, and Return�the contributors to this anthology write powerfully, often hauntingly, of their lives in Haiti and the United States. Jean-Robert Cadet's description of his Haitian childhood as a restavec�a child slave�in Port-au-Prince contrasts with Dany Laferriere's account of a ten-year-old boy and his beloved...more
Published July 1st 2003 by Soho Press (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Butterfly's Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Butterfly's Way

Stephen Matlock
Really very good. This is a collection of tales of the Haitian Diaspora--those who fled from Haiti for various reasons to settle elsewhere, and their reactions both to their new homes and their home in memory.

It was not what I expected, due to my own ignorance. I expected it to be much more a collection of writings by people just as if they were journaling, but these are more than that.

Yes, it is somewhat like a collection of journals, but the stories are thoughtful, and insightful, and beautif...more
Meghan
this book has something for everyone... some sad, some touching, some sweet stories and poems from haitian-american people living in the 'tenth district.' edited by my favorite author, edwidge danticat.
Linda
A collection of short pieces from Haitian diaspora. Most of them read like college application essays, but worthwhile in terms of learning more about Haitian immigrant experience in North America.
Nellie K.
Apr 16, 2008 Nellie K. marked it as to-read
I want to read her books because I met her in person and I like her story and history, view from an immigrant's perspective and I can identify with her too since I'm also an immigrant.
Mariana
There’s a tremendous + beautiful variety in The Butterfly’s Way edited by Edwidge Danticat. There are 33 Haitian-American authors + each one writes about a different experiences.
Trinity School Summer Reading
The essays, poems, and stories that Edwidge Danticat has collected in this anthology explore the themes of childhood, migration, and return in the Haitian experience.
Ginny Page
A very complete collection of stories from the Haitian Dyaspora. Beautifully introduced by Danticat in such a way that the threads all pull together.
Nina
Read Black Crows and Zombie Girls
Snarky's
I just love books like this.
Camellia
Excellent!
Sarah marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Arielle
Arielle marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Doreen
Doreen marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Richard Peterson
Richard Peterson marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Nadine
Nadine marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Aaminah Shakur
Aaminah Shakur marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Vanessa Prosper
Vanessa Prosper marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
T And
T And added it
Jul 05, 2014
Alissa
Alissa marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Edwidge Danticat was born in Haiti and moved to the United States when she was twelve. She is the author of several books, including Breath, Eyes, Memory, an Oprah Book Club selection; Krik? Krak!, a National Book Award finalist; and The Farming of Bones, an American Book Award winner. She is also the editor of The Butterfly's Way: Voices from the Haitian Dyaspora in the United States and The Beac...more
More about Edwidge Danticat...
Breath, Eyes, Memory Krik? Krak! The Farming of Bones The Dew Breaker Claire of the Sea Light