Start by marking “The Butterfly's Way: Voices from the Haitian Dyaspora in the United States” as Want to Read:
The Butterfly's Way: Voices from the Haitian Dyaspora in the United States

The Butterfly's Way: Voices from the Haitian Dyaspora in the United States

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  124 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
In five sections—Childhood, Migration, Half/First Generation, Return, and Future—the thirty-three contributors to this anthology write movingly, often hauntingly, of their lives in Haiti and the United States. Their dyaspora, much like a butterfly's fluctuating path, is a shifting landscape in which there is much travel between two worlds, between their place of origin and ...more
Published July 1st 2003 by Soho Press (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Butterfly's Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Butterfly's Way

Stephen Matlock
Mar 09, 2016 Stephen Matlock rated it it was amazing
Really very good. This is a collection of tales of the Haitian Diaspora--those who fled from Haiti for various reasons to settle elsewhere, and their reactions both to their new homes and their home in memory.

It was not what I expected, due to my own ignorance. I expected it to be much more a collection of writings by people just as if they were journaling, but these are more than that.

Yes, it is somewhat like a collection of journals, but the stories are thoughtful, and insightful, and beautif
Shaina
Feb 02, 2016 Shaina rated it really liked it
This book is intriguing. The stories differed in setting, perspectives, and sentiment, although a common aching for Haiti was felt in all the stories . As a member of the Haitian dyaspora myself, I thought the book perfectly illustrated the struggle between knowing Haiti as home, feeling disconnected to it (along with all the other places we immigrants grow to familiarize ourselves with), and recognizing the persistent tug of Haiti and Haitian culture throughout our lives. No matter the amount o ...more
Meghan
Aug 07, 2007 Meghan rated it it was amazing
this book has something for everyone... some sad, some touching, some sweet stories and poems from haitian-american people living in the 'tenth district.' edited by my favorite author, edwidge danticat.
Linda
A collection of short pieces from Haitian diaspora. Most of them read like college application essays, but worthwhile in terms of learning more about Haitian immigrant experience in North America.
Nellie K.
Apr 16, 2008 Nellie K. marked it as to-read
I want to read her books because I met her in person and I like her story and history, view from an immigrant's perspective and I can identify with her too since I'm also an immigrant.
Mariana
Sep 13, 2013 Mariana rated it really liked it
There’s a tremendous + beautiful variety in The Butterfly’s Way edited by Edwidge Danticat. There are 33 Haitian-American authors + each one writes about a different experiences.
Trinity School Summer Reading
The essays, poems, and stories that Edwidge Danticat has collected in this anthology explore the themes of childhood, migration, and return in the Haitian experience.
Ginny Page
Jan 13, 2011 Ginny Page rated it it was amazing
A very complete collection of stories from the Haitian Dyaspora. Beautifully introduced by Danticat in such a way that the threads all pull together.
Nina
Read Black Crows and Zombie Girls
Snarky's
Jun 17, 2007 Snarky's rated it really liked it
I just love books like this.
Camellia
Excellent!
Alexis Diaz
Alexis Diaz rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2016
Carol Murray
Carol Murray rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2016
David
David rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2016
Jennifer Danticat
Jennifer Danticat marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Liz Murray
Liz Murray marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Carmen Lanos
Carmen Lanos marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Wilson
Wilson marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Lindsay Drysdale
Lindsay Drysdale marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Downing Bray
Downing Bray marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Indigo Summer
Indigo Summer marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Juliana Gray
Juliana Gray rated it it was ok
May 22, 2016
Sonny
Sonny marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Chris Tempel
Chris Tempel marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Lindsey
Lindsey rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2016
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2016
Storm
Storm marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Cara Belle Scott
Cara Belle Scott marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Passage of Darkness: The Ethnobiology of the Haitian Zombie
  • Divine Horsemen: The Living Gods of Haiti
  • A Taste of Haiti (Hippocrene Cookbook Library)
  • An Unbroken Agony: Haiti, from Revolution to the Kidnapping of a President
  • Love, Anger, Madness: A Haitian Trilogy
  • Taste of Salt: A Story of Modern Haiti
  • Every Tongue Got to Confess: Negro Folk-tales from the Gulf States
  • Mama Lola: A Vodou Priestess in Brooklyn (Comparative Studies in Religion and Society)
  • The Stone That the Builder Refused
  • The Magic Orange Tree and Other Haitian Folktales
  • Why the Cocks Fight: Dominicans, Haitians, and the Struggle for Hispaniola
  • On That Day, Everybody Ate: One Woman's Story of Hope and Possibility in Haiti
  • Haiti: The Tumultuous History - From Pearl of the Caribbean to Broken Nation
  • Bug-Jargal
  • Colonial America: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Liberal Hour: Washington and the Politics of Change in the 1960s
  • Journey of the Sparrows
  • My Life as a Night Elf Priest: An Anthropological Account of World of Warcraft
Edwidge Danticat was born in Haiti and moved to the United States when she was twelve. She is the author of several books, including Breath, Eyes, Memory, an Oprah Book Club selection; Krik? Krak!, a National Book Award finalist; and The Farming of Bones, an American Book Award winner. She is also the editor of The Butterfly's Way: Voices from the Haitian Dyaspora in the United States and The Beac ...more
More about Edwidge Danticat...