Start by marking “Georgette Heyer: A Critical Retrospective” as Want to Read:
Georgette Heyer: A Critical Retrospective

Georgette Heyer: A Critical Retrospective

Fully indexed collection of articles on the popular author's works, addressing such subjects as "'What Fun!' Detection as Diversion"; "Georgette Heyer and the Uses of Regency"; "Cross-Dressing in Wartime: Georgette Heyer's THE CORINTHIAN in its 1940 Context"; "Gendering Places: Georgette Heyer's Cultural Topography," to name only a few.
Published March 1st 2001 by Prinnyworld Press

To ask other readers questions about Georgette Heyer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Georgette Heyer

Legendary by L.H. NicoleWritten in Red by Anne BishopInto The Unknown by Lorna PeelClaiming Excalibur by L.H. NicoleDearest by Alethea Kontis
Girls With Faces
84th out of 198 books — 16 voters
The Pale Abyssinian by Miles BredinMeditation on Space-Time by Leonard SeetExistence Costs by Brad SimkuletA Natural History of Trees by Donald Culross PeattieLe Débat Sur Le Roman De La Rose by Christine de Pizan
Super Underrated Books (Fewer than 50 Ratings)
200th out of 865 books — 235 voters

More lists with this book...

Dana Stabenow
Jul 23, 2013 Dana Stabenow rated it liked it
I will say this was enlightening, but it really torques me how all those reviewers consider Heyer such a fluffy read. No one ever wrote better dialogue, or constructed better time machines, and I would match An Infamous Army against any historical novel ever written, up to and including Wolf Hall. So there.
I am glad that there were reprints of her two short stories, Runaway Match and Pursuit; the latter being somewhat similar to another short story of hers. I would have liked more essays critiquing her writing. The reviews of her books varied in interest; some were very short, others were simply a summary of the plot. Nonetheless, I learned a lot about the reception of her books and particularly her role in the development of romance novels in the 1900's,
Kathy Hamilton
Jan 05, 2013 Kathy Hamilton rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: avid Heyer fans
THIS BOOK SAVED MY LIFE!! Seriously, I wrote about Georgette Heyer for my MA dissertation and I just couldn't have done it without this book. It's basically a compilation of all the articles written about Heyer's fiction, as well as contemporary reviews (which make for a good chuckle) and tons of other really useful information. Whilst I couldn't have done without it, it's probably a book for people on the more avid side of fans!
Sep 08, 2016 Darla rated it it was amazing
A birthday gift from my fella... excellent nighttime reading. This text has 3 unpublished short stories and one essay. Although I think by reading this, my obsession has moved into the unhealthy column.
Jul 14, 2010 Josh rated it it was amazing
This is for the fan with an academic bent. The reader who can't get enough of reading about the work in addition to reading the work itself. It was fascinating (and occasionally frustrating) to read these reviews and analysis of Heyer's work.
Jul 10, 2008 CLM rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Heyer fans
Shelves: nonfiction, regency
This is primarily a collection of articles and reviews of Heyer's work but does include several short stories that are not well known.
Morag Gray
May 09, 2015 Morag Gray rated it liked it
A collection of reviews of and articles about Georgette Heyer's work, but the author does not provide any analysis or criticism of her own. Useful for having the information in one place.
Carolyn rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2007
Lucy rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2014
Jenny rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2009
Sim rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2009
Kate rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2012
Laura Cathleen
Laura Cathleen rated it it was ok
Jul 27, 2009
Susan Morgan
Susan Morgan rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2014
Susan Squires
Susan Squires rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2013
Ames rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2016
Emily rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2012
Lady Salford
Lady Salford rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2008
Liesl rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2014
Claudius rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2012
Vampire-lk rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2013
Kate McMurry
Kate McMurry rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2015
Kim rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2012
Linda Williams
Linda Williams rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2015
Deepthi rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2008
Kit rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2016
LauraRose rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2014
Bev rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2011
Dulcie rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2011
Jennifer Kloester
Jennifer Kloester rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2013