Start by marking “Black Sheep” as Want to Read:
Black Sheep

Black Sheep

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  6,831 Ratings  ·  563 Reviews
With her high-spirited intelligence and good looks, Abigail Wendover was a most sought-after young woman. But of all her high-placed suitors, there was none Abigail could love.

Miles Calverleigh had no regard for the polite conventions of Regency society. His cynicism, his morals, his manners appalled Abigail. Yet she was irresistibly drawn to his knowing smile. But how cou
Published June 3rd 2004 by Arrow (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Black Sheep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Sheep

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
description
This Heyer Regency tale definitely improved on my second read of it. Abigail Wendover, age 28, shares custody of her orphaned and very wealthy 17 year old niece Fanny with her older sister Selina. When Abby returns home to Bath after a six week trip, she finds that Fanny has been swept off her feet by Stacy Caverleigh, a suave fortune-hunter. Abby, looking for Stacy to try to take his measure and warn him off Fanny, instead runs into Stacy's uncle Miles, who has just returned to England after 20
Leslie
Apr 05, 2009 Leslie rated it it was amazing
I have an embarrassing confession. I’m so excited I’m giddy like a school girl, and I’m also apparently dumb like one. Until recently, I’d never heard of Georgette Heyer. See, told you – dumb. I had no idea of how many books she’d written on Regency England, about 60 I think, and I, who claim to love an excellent classic historical romance, have never read even one of her books. Not – one. Have I been living in a hole these last 3 decades, stuck in an Austen, Bronte rut the size and scope of my ...more
Anne
Everyone who is acquainted with my reading preferences knows that I love Georgette Heyer, and thus far, there is not one of her books that I didn't enjoy.

Black Sheep was no exception; it was hilariously funny, featured one of the best heroines and a truly irresistible hero, and had a very fun plot. I liked the fact that it was set in Bath and that there was not a lot of action, but the conversations were so witty and funny that it was not at all boring.

" She said despairingly:' I see that I m
Kim Kaso
I read this when I was in junior high, it was either my first or second GH, I got Faro's Daughter at the same time and remember reading them non-stop over a weekend. I cared for neither meat nor drink, & only came out of my room when required to sit at the family table or attend church. They may not be the best of her work, but will always have a special place in my heart as one of my firsts. I am grateful beyond words to have discovered GH then, she got me through the angst of early adolesc ...more
Carol ♔Type, Oh Queen!♕
My first reread on Goodreads of this wonderful book. Since it looks like there is about much chance of getting rereads as there is of me winning the Nobel Peace Prize, I'm having my first crack at the workaround. Here is my 2014 review

Added Impressions From 2017

This is my favourite of Heyer's post 1960 novels. Every plot development makes sense. Every thread is woven into the story perfectly.All the characters are perfectly realised. Heyer's earlier novels often show a tacit approval of idle
Tweety
Jun 23, 2013 Tweety rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone, even if regency isn't your genre
Sorry my review is nearly a week late! :/

This has got to be one of my favorite Heyer regencies, it's up there with Sylvester, Arabella, Frederica and The Toll-Gate. What I especially like about Black Sheep, is the characters. Abby is a bit like Anne in Persuasion. She's only different in that she is not timid, and she has a dreadful habit of giggling at quite the wrong moments…

Miles is the black sheep of the family, and a past record bad enough to send any respectable personage of the Ton runni
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Jan 13, 2017 ᴥ Irena ᴥ rated it really liked it
4.5

I loved the characters. There wasn't a single moment the two main characters annoyed me. Heyer does first encounters really well. These two are just refreshingly wonderful. Now, I admit they may be that in contrast with a hotheaded seventeen-year-old, much older hypochondriac, gossipy acquaintance, stuffy brother and so on, but who cares. I loved every single moment. Miles Calverleigh's replies and reactions are hilarious and you can't really blame Abigail for falling for him.

The resolution(s
Hannah
My first Georgette Heyer. Begins with a spinster and ends with a kidnapping and a kiss. Hilarious at times, especially during conversations between Abby and Miles.
Basically, Miss Abby comes back from a trip to London town to find her niece being assiduously courted by a young man who has stolen the heart of everyone, including sickly, crotchety Miss Selina, Abby's older sister. And pardon Abby very much, but this young whippersnapper is entirely too good to be true. He's not about to slip off w
Emma
Jun 05, 2016 Emma rated it it was amazing
I'm slightly embarrassed that I love these romping Regency romances so much! Georgette Heyer had Skills. I know this because 'hopeless romantic' is not a personality trait most people, including those who know me best, would ascribe to me. Yet here I am again thoroughly charmed and thrilled by her simple story of a love match.
Seema Khan
3.5* for this Georgette Heyer book.

The highlight of the book is its humorous dialogue in the impeccable Georgette Heyer style. Very witty and enjoyable.

Another thing I liked about the book is it is about mature individuals and the depiction is very interesting.

The leads are well developed characters. Mr. Miles Calverleigh is outrageous, extreme and unbelievable but at the same time he is a person with a great deal of kindness, though he seldom shows it. For all his absurdities and outrageousnes
Nikki
May 25, 2013 Nikki rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
I'm going to run out of Heyer romances to read in no time at this rate, but I can't quite bring myself to regret it. I'm going to be talking like a Heyer novel, too, and while my girlfriend might regret it, it'd amuse me far too much to pass up the chance to annoy her. Black Sheep isn't the best of Heyer's books, I think, nor my absolute favourite, but it's as fun as you'd expect and I'd probably rank it reasonably highly.

I liked it a lot that the main heroine was an older woman -- not old by ou
Maria
Apr 13, 2014 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: georgette-heyer
Abigail Wendower is quite determined to make her niece Fanny see how dangerous is her behaviour towards a man much older than she is. While she tries to make Fanny understand that her beloved Stacy is not really in love with her but he clearly prefers her fortune, Abigail meets Stacy’s uncle, Miles Calverleigh, and thinks she has found an ally to keep Stacy away from her naive niece. But she has not considered that she might be in trouble as well because the more she talks to Miles, the more she ...more
kris
Dec 18, 2016 kris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really hate when these book blurbs are so very misleading...

Abby Wendover, 28, is trying to keep her headstrong niece, Fanny, out of an impetuous match with the unworthy Stacy Caverleigh. When a "Mr. Caverleigh" checks into the local hotel, she has words with him--before realizing he's actually Miles Caverleigh, the exiled black sheep of the Caverleigh family. Not to mention: HOT TO TROT. Will the young lovers put the kibosh on the old lovers plans for...loving?

1. MILES AND ABBY FOREVER. He ca
Anneceleste
6-stars. My favorite along with Faro's Daughter. It is very funny. I read and reread the passage where the heroine met the hero and I laughed a lot. It is also the most romantic of all the Heyer books that I have read.
Pamela Shropshire
This is my first reading of this one and a fun read it was!

Abigail Wendover is the sensible one in her family; 28, unmarrried, looked to for support by both her elder sister, Selina (who really IS a goose cap as Abby calls her), and her young, orphaned, heiress niece, Fanny.

The story is set in Bath and Ms. Heyer really makes the various scenes come alive. I googled many of the places mentioned as I was reading. As in most of her books, the reader almost immediately meets a bewildering plethora o
Linda
Jan 05, 2017 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Fun, typical Heyer comfort read. :)
QNPoohBear
At 28 with a beautiful heiress niece soon to make her come out, romance is the last thing on Abigail Wendover's mind; she's even taken to putting on caps! Upon returning from visiting her middle sisters, Abby learns from her oldest sister that their niece Fanny has a new, charming beau. Abby isn't as easily won over as Selina and the more she hears about this Stacy Calverleigh, the more she is convinced that he is a fortune hunter. Abby becomes determined to put a stop to the romance without dri ...more
Carol ♔Type, Oh Queen!♕
The first Heyer I ever read in its entirety was The Black Moth (rather appropriate since it was Heyer's first book!) but I read part of this when I was a child, holidaying with my aunt. It was serialised in (from memory) The Ladies' Home Journal, but unfortunately I returned home before the final parts arrived!

It is still a Heyer I am extremely fond of! I love the fact the hero & heroine are older, & in the hero's case, flawed. I love the humour of the book& the characterisation of S
Lady Wesley
Sep 07, 2013 Lady Wesley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amz-rev, listened
I've read this book several times; it's one of my favorite Heyer titles. Very funny, with plenty of romance. The audio version, narrated by Barbara Leigh-Hunt, was good, but I had a few problems with it. First of all, Ms. Leigh-Hunt is over seventy years old, and her voice sounds, well, . . . old. Too old, for the heroine, who is about thirty as I recall. She does a very good job with Miles Calverleigh's voice, however, giving him just the right ironic tone. Another problem -- and really it's my ...more
Tweety
Feb 21, 2016 Tweety rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good as ever!
Diane
This is a charming Regency romance and it was just what I needed after reading several depressing books. Georgette Heyer was known for meticulously researching the historical details of Jane Austen's England, and the reader gets immersed into that period.

Black Sheep reminded me a bit of Persuasion, because it was set in Bath and it involved a 28-year-old woman, which was almost a spinster in those days. The story involves Abby Wendover, a well-to-do woman who is concerned that a scandalous fortu
Ana Rînceanu
My 29th Georgette Heyer

Miss Abigail Wendover's 17-year old niece Fanny is trying to marry Mr Miles Caverleigh's nephew, Stacy, a fortune-hunter so it's up to them to stop such nonsense. One problem: Miles is estranged from his nephew and is reluctant to interfere.

It's nice to see a romance where the women are well off, never in financial peril and are happily not constrained to marry. It's the men that need to work for their keep. The hero is also plainly dressed, has no interest in fashion (ra
Andrea
Another for breaking free of the restraints of social convention (but just a very little, and with an awful lot of money to lubricate the issue).

The romance sparks well, with the couple hitting it off immediately, though I reserve my strongest emotion to dislike of Abbie's exceedingly selfish sister.
Lady Wesley
Dec 13, 2011 Lady Wesley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fave-favorites
In her review, the author Caroline Linden says, "Priceless, just for the scene where Abigail meets Miles for the first time." I agree; it's really a most clever scene. The entire book is a delight, up until the ending. Heyer is known for her abrupt endings, but this one wins the prize.
Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder
5+++++++++++++++++++++!
I love GH and this title is among my favorites. I have reread this title over and over again and will continue to do so. This book is an example GH at her best where nothing really happens i.e. no action, but lots of witty, sparkling dialog!

Ana T.
Apr 28, 2008 Ana T. rated it really liked it
We recently had a Georgette Heyer Season at Historical Tapestry and I really enjoyed reading some of her books. One of those was The Black Sheep.

"Abigail Wendover, on the shelf at 28, is kept busy when her niece falls head over heels in love with a handsome fortune hunter and Abbie is forced into a confrontation with his scandalous uncle.

Miles Calverleigh is the black sheep of his family- enormously rich from a long sojourn in India, disconcertingly blunt and brash. But he turns out to be Abbie'
Clare Cannon
Jan 28, 2013 Clare Cannon rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, adults
A great book for a rainy weekend; light and entertaining with not too much to think about. After the first few chapters of introduction, the story focuses on 28 year old 'spinster' Abigail Wendover, and the 'older' Miles Calverleigh who has spent the last twenty years in India, banished there by his family over a romantic scandal.

Miles is indeed the 'black sheep' of his family having run off with someone else's fiancée, but we soon see that most of his deplorable ways have been left in the past.
Kelly
Okay, so I would marry Miles Caverleigh, and so would many other women I know, so the major relationships conflict of the book isn't particularly suspenseful,even with all the complications Heyer tries to throw at it. But still, I liked the relationship between Abby Wendover and Miles. I thought it was one of the more realistically done ones Heyer's depicted, as she let their relationship and their feelings for each other naturally develop and change until you could very well believe they actual ...more
CatBookMom
2017 - this has become one of my favorites, either as an ebook or an audiobook.

2013 - I am surprised at how much I'm enjoying these Heyer Regency romances. This one would have been better with less slang - some of the sentences had 3 or more slang terms, presumably from Heyer's researches into the period - which, since the meaning wasn't entirely clear, detracted from the story
Jane (PS)
Dec 22, 2010 Jane (PS) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
There is nothing more to say than I just love this book.

Reread: 1 May - 5 May 2013
Audiobook: narrated by Barbara Leigh-Hunt
Love Heyer's characterisations, and Leigh-Hunt does a very good job on this narration.
  • Lady Elizabeth's Comet (Clanross, #1)
  • The Fortune Hunter (Lord Rival, #2)
  • Libby's London Merchant (Nesbitt, #1)
  • Indiscretion
  • Danse de la Folie
  • The Best Intentions (Country House Party, #2)
  • A Loyal Companion
  • Lydia (Regency Trilogy, #3)
  • Georgette Heyer's Regency World
  • The Parfit Knight (Rockliffe, #1)
  • The Phantom Lover
  • The Duke's Wager (Bessacarr, #1)
  • Lord Deverill's Secret
  • The Famous Heroine (Stapleton-Downes, #5)
Georgette Heyer was a prolific historical romance and detective fiction novelist. Her writing career began in 1921, when she turned a story for her younger brother into the novel The Black Moth.

In 1925 she married George Ronald Rougier, a mining engineer, and he often provided basic plot outlines for her thrillers. Beginning in 1932, Heyer released one romance novel and one thriller each year.

Hey
More about Georgette Heyer...

“Well, you have the right to make a sacrifice of yourself, but I'll be damned if I'll let you sacrifice me!” 51 likes
“Talking to you is like -- like talking to an eel!"

"No, is it? I've never tried to talk to an eel. Isn't it as waste of time?"

"Not such a waste of time as talking to you!”
28 likes