Start by marking “They Found Him Dead” as Want to Read:
They Found Him Dead

They Found Him Dead (Inspector Hannasyde #3)

3.73  ·  Rating Details ·  2,260 Ratings  ·  169 Reviews
The sixtieth birthday party of Silas Kane was marred by argument and dissension amongst his family. And then, the morning after the celebrations, Kane is found dead at the foot of a cliff. The theory that Silas accidentally lost his way in the fog is confirmed when the coroner returns a verdict of death by misadventure.

But then Kane's nephew and heir is murdered and threat
Published April 6th 2006 by Arrow (first published 1937)

To ask other readers questions about They Found Him Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about They Found Him Dead

Tweety
This kept me guessing!

One of Heyer's better mysteries IMO, the characters are enjoyable if not all likable and the plot clips along at a good pace. I did have pretty good idea as to who the murderer was, but it didn't spoil the story for me.

The romance was rather sudden starting in chapter one, but it worked and I liked the two of them. I really did enjoy this and you can't beat the imp Terrible Timothy, who goes about getting into mischief and helping the detectives solve the case.

Recommend
Hannah
Another genuinely fun Golden Age mystery by Georgette Heyer.

On a foggy evening, conservative businessman Silas Kane irritably celebrates his 60th birthday with family and business associates and then proceeds to walk off a cliff - the apparent victim of an accidental fall. However, not 2 weeks later his heir, Clement Kane, is found shot through the head in his study. Afterwards, the 2nd heir to the Kane fortune, Jim Kane, is experiencing a series of misfortunes that may or may not be "accidents"
Amy
Georgette Heyer is a reliable comfort read. Her books are breezy, light, and uncomplicated, typically featuring a murder in a country house. As usual, there are two completely different female characters: one practical and organized, and the other totally bananas; their respective love interests; a host of wacky characters/suspects; one completely nefarious character who is so terrible it's obvious that he is a red herring; and the sensible police detective. Everything gets tidied up in the end ...more
Jessica
Jan 28, 2015 Jessica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The only other Heyer mystery I've read (No Wind of Blame) reminded me of Wodehouse. This one made me want to read Wodehouse instead.
Abigail Hartman
Feb 15, 2015 Abigail Hartman rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
I enjoyed The Grand Sophy so much that I keep returning to Heyer's novels, hoping for such another light, fun read. So far - with Regency Buck, Why Shoot a Butler?, and now They Found Him Dead - I've been pretty disappointed. The Grand Sophy has brilliant characters, crackling wit, and just the kind of romance I enjoy; the others, especially the two mysteries, have either unlikeable or unremarkable characters and more banter than real wit. Jim Kane and Patricia Allison are nice enough, but since ...more
Sensitivemuse
Feb 05, 2010 Sensitivemuse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I find that when I read Georgette Heyer novels, I keep on thinking; "Okay this one was better than the last one I read..." then I read this one and it's like: "Okay nevermind, this one was THE BEST one I've read so far!" I have a feeling that's going to keep happening whenever I read one of her mysteries (I still have yet to try her regency ones). I absolutely loved this one and will put this one up as one of my favorite mysteries from Heyer as of yet.

As usual, there is a rather large list of s
Stormi (Books, Movies, Reviews. Oh my!)
Silas Kane just turned sixty and everyone has gathered for the occasion. The party is not going so well as it is marred with arguments. When money is involved nothing can ever go well. Silas decides to go for a walk in the fog and the next morning he is found dead. Everyone thinks it was just a accident, that he slipped and fell of the cliff in the fog, but then someone shoots Clement, the hier.

Now we can tell that this murder mystery is all about who will inherit, Silas Kane's money and who ha
Ely (Tea & Titles)
May 24, 2013 Ely (Tea & Titles) rated it really liked it
Originally posted at http://abooksofathomless.blogspot.com...

I feel like Georgette Heyer is one of those authors that really isn’t as popular as she should be. Most of her books (of which there are about fifty five or so) are regency romances a la Jane Austen, twelve of them, however, are crime/mystery novels. I love murder mystery novels, I honestly do- so it’s no surprise to me that I adored this book.

Characters play a massive role in mystery novels, as does the plot- you may think this is the
Debbie
Jan 28, 2010 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, historical
"They Found Him Dead" is a mystery set in the 1930s in England. I think this is my favorite of the Heyer mysteries that I've read so far. The characters were nicer and less, um, neurotic, than normal, so I actually liked them rather than simply finding them interesting or amusing. The humor in this book was provided by Timothy's youthful ideas and antics regarding the murder. I found all of the characters complex and engaging.

As usual, Heyer introduced a large number of characters at the very be
Ann
Jan 21, 2014 Ann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, anglophilia
This is a classic English mystery novel from 1937. Silas Kane, principal partner of a prosperous business, falls off a cliff and dies. Is it an accident or murder? Then a few weeks later, his heir is shot. So now the business changes hands once more, much to the consternation of the extended Kane and Mansell families. Then it becomes clear that there is more murderous intent floating around.

The strength of the book is in the characters. There's Emily Kane, a cantankerous but not stupid old lady,
Pamela Shropshire
This book is set in the Golden Age of British detective fiction: between the two world wars. The events occur at a country house of a solidly upper middle class family; at stake is a fortune of a quarter of a million pounds.

The head of the family dies in a presumed accident when he falls from a cliff path on a foggy night during his customary bedtime walk. A cursory investigation doesn't reveal any evidence of foul play; indeed, at the end of the story, we still don't know for certain that he wa
Linda
Jan 20, 2010 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Two big biographies in one month required a frothy little read to cleanse the palate before I dig into the February titles. So I grabbed a Georgette Heyer mystery — "They Found Him Dead" — from a stack of them prominently displayed at the Meadowridge library. The placement and the luscious colors on the cover instantly hooked me.

Over the summer, I read my first Heyer mystery, "Why Shoot a Butler," which I described as a "romp." But I have to admit that Heyer mysteries just don't have the same s
Kathryn
Oct 18, 2010 Kathryn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
They Found Him Dead is another Heyer mystery. Like the others I've read so far, it was an English country house murder mystery, in which there's a relatively small number of suspects, and the characters are likeable. Hannasyde and Hemingway are the detectives in this one.

I got suspicious of the culprit long before any of the characters, and spent the last third of the book yelling "WHY AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO SUSPECTS THIS GUY?!?" I was a little disappointed that I was so far ahead of the charact
Helen
Jul 28, 2014 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable, if at first slow-moving, mystery in the tradition of Agatha Christie's non-detective mysteries. The plot is complex, the murders connected, and the characters alternately annoying and charming at this English country house in a much slower, more genteel time. There are a number of characters to keep track of at the opening dinner party, but they quickly sort themselves out as one ends up dead, and then another. Close calls abound, self-absorption runs rampant among some of the char ...more
Sheryl Tribble
Hadn't read this before but still knew "who dun it" halfway through the book. I'm not that good at solving mysteries, I don't think -- it's just the author's prejudices seem to determine who gets to be the bad guy. *sigh*

But I don't read mysteries for the mystery anyhow, and I enjoyed the characters, so it's all good. I particularly liked that the first victim wasn't someone the reader is clearly expected to despise; on the contrary, he's a nice enough guy most people didn't realize his death wa
Donna
May 05, 2009 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Silas Kane is found dead at the bottom of a cliff after going for a stroll on a foggy night, the police deem it death by misadventure. Timothy Harte believes he was murdered. When Silas's heir is shot within days, the police realize they are looking at someone who has killed twice. Trouble is the main suspects all seem to have alibis for one or the other murder.
Heyer has a subplot of a Victorian romance entwined with the mystery. The characters are somewhat shallow and the dialogue lacks
Kim
May 03, 2011 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
Another fun 1930s mystery and a very entertaining read. I loved Terrible Timothy and laughed a lot at the perfectly dreadful Rosemary and the character (whose name I no longer remember) with appallingly behaved children. I also liked the fact that Superintendent Hannasyde had a bit more to do than he did in his last outing. It wasn't hard to guess whodunnit, although a bit harder to work out how it was done. This didn't make the book less enjoyable, though. I'm looking forward to the next Heyer ...more
Jessi
It took me along time to finish this book. Usually I really, really like Georgette Heyer's mysteries but this one was not one of my favorites.
Silas Kane's sixtieth birthday ends in tragedy when he apparently walks off a cliff during a foggy evening. However, his nephew's half-brother suspects murder. As a teenage boy though, the young Mr. Harte is disregarded until Silas' heir also dies. When the third in line for the family fortune starts getting close death calls, everyone starts to take the
Andrea
One of Heyer's weakest mysteries, with the culprit painfully obvious from around a third of the way through. There is some leavening humour, from Timothy's exploits to Rosemary's incredible narcissism. The (already-settled) romantic relationship falls flat for me, since Jim switches from dismissing and not taking Patricia's concerns seriously to taking them seriously and trying to hide all developments from her. I really can't take "protect the fragile woman" stories.
Christiane
Nov 24, 2010 Christiane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
This was so much fun right up until the rather abrupt and not so satisfying climax. I love how Heyer creates fabulous characters and maintains suspense but I find the endings of her mysteries not quite worth the previous 300+ pages. In this book, rich businessman Silas is found dead at the bottom of a cliff; possibly he lost his way in the fog, but when his heir is found shot to death it's obviously no accident....
Hope
Mar 07, 2016 Hope rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fair to middling mystery. The multiple murders kept me guessing, yet somehow the ending seemed anticlimactic. More than anything I enjoyed the fine narration at Audible.com. Birve does an excellent job with both male and female voices. Her characterization of Rosemary was laugh out loud funny.
Carol ♔Type, Oh Queen!♕
A better done romance than is usual for Heyer mysteries, Terrible Timothy is a wonderful secondary character & the always welcome & sparkling Sergeant Hemingway. I did feel the story got bogged down a bit towards the end though.

But the murder & solution were good!
Jennifer Warner
I knew who did it and why about a third of the way in. I spent the rest of the book wondering why none of the characters could figure it out, and hoping I was in for some massive twist. Nope.
Robyn
Dec 23, 2016 Robyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, library
WKKPL | Enjoyed this quite a bit more than I expected. | This was my first Heyer book, and since I knew she wrote more Regency Romances than mysteries, I didn't have a lot of hope for it (thus why I hadn't sought her out before). I assumed it would be a romance with a bit of murder on the side, but that did not turn out to be the case. Additionally, after having read quite a few Patricia Wentworth and Ngaio Marsh books recently, I was starting to feel irritable toward the non-Christie Golden Age ...more
Summerita Rhayne
Dec 02, 2016 Summerita Rhayne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Superb story telling and as always brilliant set-up by Georgette Heyer. The four stars are due, I think, to the writing. For the mystery, I rate this one 3.5 because I guessed quite long before and waited to be proved wrong. I'd have liked to be surprised and find I had been hoodwinked. However, the suspense was good and the characters well etched, making me read on, so I didn't mind that.
Good to read if you are a Georgette Heyer fan.
A.M.
Jun 11, 2016 A.M. rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own
There’s just something about English murder mysteries where the whole family are just the most awful people; but awful in a peculiarly English way. They snark at each other over the dinner table whilst observing impeccable manners.
The family are all there for Silas Kane’s 60th birthday. He always goes for a cliff walk after dinner but is found dead at the base of the cliff. It’s presumed to be an accident, his estate is handed over to his nephew Clement Kane, but then *gasp* he is shot.
Now, the
Kalendra Dee
When Silas Kane falls over the cliff’s on his country estate, his death is ruled an accident due to fog. His heir, however, is the next to die; this time, he’s shot dead in the same house he’s just inherited. It’s up to Superintendent Hannasyde to dig through Silas’s convoluted family and business interests to get at the truth. (3rd in the Superintendent Hannasyde Country House mystery series.)
Addison Public Library
Silas Kane had just turned sixty when he took a tumble over the cliffs by his country house. It is ruled an accident until his heir is shot dead in the house and Superintendent Hannasyde is called to investigate.

KD 12-16

Check out this book today!
Whistlers Mom
Sep 27, 2016 Whistlers Mom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of Heyer's four mysteries featuring Superintendent Hannasyde of Scotland Yard, backed up by quirky, flippant Sergeant Hemingway. I love the later ones where the unpredictable Hemingway is promoted to Chief Inspector and really comes into his own. But this is a wonderful book because of four out-standing women characters and the presence of a loose cannon teenager.

The plot revolves around the Kane family. The founder of the successful family business is long-dead, but the descendants
Jules Jones
Jul 13, 2012 Jules Jones rated it really liked it
Third of the Superintendent Hannasyde mysteries. Silas Kane is the senior male member of the Kane family, childless owner of the Kane family fortune. When he's found dead at the foot of a cliff one morning' his family are distressed, but most of them suspect nothing more than the obvious -- he insisted on having his usual evening walk along the clifftop path in spite of it being a foggy night, and must have missed his way. But when his heir is found shot dead not long after moving into the famil ...more
Madison Mega-Mara...: "They Found Him Dead" by Georgette Heyer 1 1 Oct 03, 2013 05:04PM
English Mysteries...: September 2013 - They Found Him Dead 42 111 Sep 28, 2013 12:37PM
  • Death of a Ghost (Albert Campion Mystery #6)
  • A Shilling for Candles (Inspector Alan Grant, #2)
  • Died in the Wool (Roderick Alleyn, #13)
  • Holy Disorders (Gervase Fen, #2)
  • The Case Is Closed (Miss Silver, #2)
  • Death at the Opera (Mrs. Bradley, #5)
  • The Private World of Georgette Heyer
  • Georgette Heyer's Regency World
Georgette Heyer was a prolific historical romance and detective fiction novelist. Her writing career began in 1921, when she turned a story for her younger brother into the novel The Black Moth.

In 1925 she married George Ronald Rougier, a mining engineer, and he often provided basic plot outlines for her thrillers. Beginning in 1932, Heyer released one romance novel and one thriller each year.

Hey
More about Georgette Heyer...

Inspector Hannasyde (4 books)
  • Death in the Stocks (Inspector Hannasyde, #1)
  • Behold, Here's Poison (Inspector Hannasyde, #2)
  • A Blunt Instrument (Inspector Hannasyde, #4)

“My dear girl, don't talk nonsense to me! You're lazy, that's all that's wrong with you. Why don't you take up social work?” 13 likes
“I just told them that dear Uncle Silas has gone away on a long journey," she said. "They're such mites, you know, and I've never let them hear about Death, or have ugly toys or stories about ogres and things. I mean, I do frightfully believe in keeping their little minds free from everything but happy, beautiful things, don't you?” 3 likes