Start by marking “I, Tina” as Want to Read:
I, Tina

I, Tina

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,142 Ratings  ·  85 Reviews
Tina Turner's is the most fascinating true story in show business. From Nut Bush, Tennessee, to Hollywood stardom...from Ike's Kings of Rhythm to onstage with Mick Jagger and the Stones...from the lowest lows to the highest highs, Tina has seen, done, suffered and survived it all. And in her spectacular bestseller I, TINA, she tells it like it really is...
Published August 3rd 1987 by Avon (first published September 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about I, Tina, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I, Tina

4.ashante!
Apr 20, 2009 4.ashante! rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Eat the cake anime!" This is one of the funniest quotes from the book I, Tina. I, Tina is one of the few books I have read in my spare time out of boredom. Surprisingly, I enjoyed this book so much that I then went out my way to see the movie. The movie was just as amazing as the book itself. The fact that this book was non-fiction, made me enjoy it because I only like fictional books to a certain extent. The humor and sorrow played out well in I, Tina because it made me think and at the same t ...more
Nicole Aline
Mar 03, 2011 Nicole Aline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A remarkable story that I would recommend to any woman, whether they like her music or not. I never knew much about her and did not grow up with her music but her book made me look at her in a completely different way. I couldn't believe just how much she was able to live through and come out a stronger woman for. A very inspiring story about a incredibly courageous woman.
Mary Alice
Oct 14, 2012 Mary Alice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autobiography
I read this years ago when it came out in 1986. Saw it at the library last week and started reading and could not put it down. It is still that good. :)
Kimberly Hicks
WOWWWWWWW! I want to be like Tina when I finally grow up! This sista went through some horrible things, but my goodness, she pulled through. If you haven't read this book, what the heck are you waiting for? I loved her story, and she is so beautiful! I love to read about people's lives and how they got to be where they are or were!
Jean Marie Angelo
Tina Turner. She's simply the best. Better than all the rest.

That voice, those dance moves —will we ever see anyone like her again?

This book came to me by way of one of my book clubs. We wanted to focus on womens' stories for a while. It is an unusal approach in that parts are written in Tina's own words, other parts are narrative provided by music journalist Kurt Loder, and interviews with others in Tina's life. The latter includes direct comments from her abusive ex — Ike Turner — and her sons
Erin O'Riordan
Mar 31, 2012 Erin O'Riordan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took an immense amount of courage for Turner to tell her deeply personal story of abuse, release and ultimate triumph. She does not shy away from things that she did wrong and her own responsibility in her circumstances, which is very brave because obviously, she was a victim of domestic violence over a long period of time. She obviously has a very strong nurturing/mothering instinct that's not immediately apparent if you only know her stage persona. She's a role model for overcoming, though, ...more
AJNels
Feb 20, 2016 AJNels rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's an amazing and powerful story, but not a very good book. Tina's contributions were clearly dictated and are connected by passages of Loder's formal, occasionally flowery language. It feels like two books cut and pasted together. But if you can get accustomed to the disjointed style it is remarkable.
Bunny
Sep 28, 2014 Bunny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-14
I needed a book to read while soaking my intensely hurt back in epsom salt, and this one had been in my car for awhile. It's actually been on my, "Need to read" mental list for quite a long time.

I was 2 when Tina's come back hit. I vividly remember this crazy haired lady on the TV. I wasn't exactly old enough to be a fan, but I did love the video, and liked the song well enough. And in truth, I've never been a huge Tina Turner fan. The songs of hers I liked, I liked a lot. But still. Just music
Gail
Mar 29, 2011 Gail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this for a book report in Jr. High. I kid you not. Not the most stellar parental or teacher guidance but it taught this little Okie that OKC was home of the Jazz guitar, young woman that have been taken advantage of can grow up to be Queens and SQUASH their dragons.
Bettye McKee
Jan 16, 2015 Bettye McKee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't always been a Tina Turner fan, so I was a little dubious about reading her story.

And what a story it is! Little Anna Mae has climbed to the top of the heap all by herself and showed us what a classy lady she is.

The book prepared me for the movie, "What's Love Got to Do With It?" which, although incomplete, was a very enlightening expose' of Tina's struggles and the development of her wonderful talent. She is now a superstar in her own right and could still be wearing her crown if she s
Dave Hill
Apr 03, 2012 Dave Hill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That Ike was a real piece of work.
Tony
Aug 19, 2010 Tony rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
This one is probably a better read to someone who's a fan. The timeline of Tina's life is a bit jumpy on this one and I guess the storytelling could be a little more compelling. I thought there might be a lot lost in translation since I read this in finnish; just have that sense that this especially is one of those books you should read in the language it was written.

Nice little book though which paints a picture rather well what Anna Mae Bullock's - and later Tina Turner's life has been like (s
Anne Dodge
Sep 08, 2008 Anne Dodge rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don't scoff at this because it's written "with Kurt Loder" - may I remind you, he's a journalist? Anyway this book kind of blew me away - it's the story you already know about Ike and Tina, but much more fun to read than to watch reconstructed in the lifetime-esque "What's Love Got to Do With It" which didn't quite capture the intensity of Tina's talent (because what can?)

Plus, her voice really comes through in this book, told in chunks of interviews with Tina and others from her life. I had no
Eddy
Mar 21, 2015 Eddy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love biographies and this is one of the best I've read, not so much on the writing style, which is great and effectively based on interview style, but more because it's a story of survival and triumph. Tina Turner went through such awful abuse, devastation, and financial ruin but she rose above it all so beautifully. She's a total inspiration!
Monique
Dec 19, 2015 Monique rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's amazing what this women went through. Ike was a sadistic SOB! I dont know how she put up with him for all those years. I'm glad she was able to finally get past that. I, Tina is a nightmarish success story. Don't know why it took me this long to read it. It has been sitting on my shelf for years. I just happened to notice it and decided to finally read it.
Teri
Feb 22, 2014 Teri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't know there was a book until after I saw the movie (What's Love Got to Do With It). While the scenes of the movie are good, compared to the book they are exaggerated.

Anywho, this book is written very much like the transcript of a documentary. Various interviews, random stories, not much of the journey you might look for in an autobiography. The years just pedal along but through her reltionship with Ike, that's what her life seemed to do. It starts off slow and stays that way...... until
Rachel
Jan 25, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such an amazing woman. Tina's book is as powerful as her life, her voice, her strength. She inspires me so much! I recommend this book to anyone and especially any woman going through a hard time! I couldn't put it down!
Brooke
I love her even more after reading this book. Tina Turner is a true testament of determination and perseverance.
Evelyn Morgan
Mar 04, 2016 Evelyn Morgan rated it it was amazing
Very good reading. I'm not always a fan of autobiography, but I found it moving.
Kim
Jan 02, 2016 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 90s movie, What's Love Got To Do With It, was one of my favorite movies in college. It hadn't occurred to me there was more to the story. I picked this paperback up at a thrift store and read it while holed up in a cabin for Christmas. It's great! If like me, you loved that movie, do yourself a favor and read this book. It will fill in a lot of gaps. Viva la Tina!
Raquel
Jun 08, 2015 Raquel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love her and I love her strength. So happy I wrote about 'Private Dancer" for VH1's 100 Greatest Albums… Kurt Loder really captured her...
Doris Raines
Apr 17, 2016 Doris Raines rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I. Love. Tina. Turner. Whats. Love. Got. To. Do. With. It.
J.R. Rogers
Oct 28, 2015 J.R. Rogers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved her story,both the hard luck and her successes attitude.
Anne Hendricks
Mar 22, 2016 Anne Hendricks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Better than the movie - that said, GO READ THE BOOK!
Amy
Mar 17, 2016 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-for-school
Read for Intro to American Studies, spring 2016.
Gloria
Aug 19, 2014 Gloria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very, very strong human being.
Kathleen
just she over came a hard battle
Pamela(AllHoney)
Back in 1984 I bought a cassette tape that I played over and over and over. I loved it. I knew who Tina Turner was but I didn't follow celebrity news so I was unfamiliar with all that went on with her at that time. Oh I knew about the split from Ike and I knew she lost everything when she did but that was about it. This book made me admire her more than I did before. The book itself wasn't all that awesome. Well, decent enough that I'll give it 3 stars. To Tina Turner herself I give 5 stars!
Michelle Jackson
After seeing What's Love Got to Do with It? reading this book was a must though I was extremely surprised by the book's layout. I wasn't really expecting Ike to actually be apart of the writing of the book. But either way I'm glad that Ms. Tina is free from him and free to live her life as she pleases without feeling trapped.

This book is a must read for survivors and those who are still in abusive and or domestic situations!
carrie
Aug 20, 2007 carrie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work-reads
In all the rocker lady bios I've read in the past year, this is one of the more interesting. I only wish it had an update--I'd love to get her extensive thoughts on the state of music today and the film (What's Love Got To Do With It?) that was inspired by her story. It also helps that Kurt Loder writes some of the in-between patter, providing detail, music criticism, and context.
  • Foxy: My Life in Three Acts
  • Q: The Autobiography of Quincy Jones
  • Jimi Hendrix: A Brother's Story
  • Keep The Faith
  • After All
  • You Have No Idea: A Famous Daughter, Her No-nonsense Mother, and How They Survived Pageants, Holly wood, Love, Loss (and Each Other)
  • Still Woman Enough: A Memoir
  • The Lonely Life
  • Elvis
  • Celine Dion: My Story, My Dream
  • Dreamgirl: My Life as a Supreme
  • Lettin it All Hang Out: An Autobiography
  • Love Can Build a Bridge
Tina Turner (born Anna Mae Bullock) is an American singer-songwriter, dancer, and actress. She has won eight Grammy Awards. Turner's consistent contributions to rock music have earned her the title "The Queen of Rock & Roll". Besides rock music, she has also performed R&B, soul, dance and pop music. She was listed on Rolling Stone's list The Immortals — The Greatest Artists of All.

Turner h
More about Tina Turner...