The Enneagram: A Christian Perspective

The Enneagram: A Christian Perspective

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  609 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Richard Rohrand Andrea Ebert'srunaway best-seller shows both the basic logic of the Enneagram and its harmony with the core truths of Christian thought from the time of the early Church forward....more
Published September 1st 2001 by Crossroad (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Enneagram, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Enneagram

Personality Types by Don Richard RisoThe Wisdom of the Enneagram by Don Richard RisoThe Enneagram by Helen PalmerUnderstanding the Enneagram by Don Richard RisoThe Enneagram Made Easy by Renee Baron
Personality Types
7th out of 47 books — 14 voters
How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must) by Ann CoulterGodless by Ann CoulterSlander by Ann CoulterTreason by Ann CoulterGuilty by Ann Coulter
Awful Authors
95th out of 95 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Chris
In this book Richard Rohr and Andreas Ebert explain the enneagram, an ancient personality test used first by Christian ascetics and monks and later by Muslim sufis. It divides people into nine personality types which can be described by their primary need ("need to be perfect", "need to succeed", etc.), their primary sin ("pride", "anger", etc.), or other features. These nine types are arranged in a continuum around a circle, with lines connecting them indicating various relationships to each ot...more
Karen
Sep 09, 2009 Karen added it
I'm relieved to know that your Enneagram type is supposed to be humiliating because it is.

My favorite quote from this book didn't come from the author but Thomas Merton: "The great tragedy of our age is the fact...that there are so many godless Christians--Christians, that is, whose religion is a matter of pure conformism and expedience. Their 'faith' is little more than a permanent evasion of reality--a compromise with life. In order to avoid admitting the uncomfortable truth that they no longe...more
David
I have looked into different ways of categorizing personalities many times, but this was the first time I was confronted with something both insightful and capable of dealing with real complexity. Identifying personality types by means of the ways we cope with the world is brilliant, and sets inner struggles in a whole new light.

Not only was this helpful to me as a person (and it was), it was also extremely helpful to me as a writer. Stories are about characters, and they operate on readers. A g...more
Sarah Klaassen
I remember the first time I read through the nine types of the enneagram five or six years ago. I naively decided I wasn’t any of the types, but I did pick out my favorite qualities from each. Oh how that disillusion has long faded as I have come to know more intimately my greatest sin(s). On that journey I am assisted most recently by the clear writing and gentle yet astute analysis of Richard Rohr and Adreas Ebert.

Engagement with this work must necessarily be at least partly personal, because...more
Keanu Heydari
The Enneagram, or at least the components inspiring it, is an interesting tool for spiritual growth that is supposed to have been developed in the 4th century AD by the desert fathers. Based fundamentally on our "root sins" and the cardinal virtues/deadly sins, now commonplace terms, the system can provide some insight into our self-image and interpersonal relationships, as they relate to our primary root sin.

The authors' efforts at communicating the rather complicated (sometimes jargon laden) p...more
Jason Leonard
Of all that I've read regarding the Enneagram, this is the only work that focuses almost entirely on the redemptive application of the Enneagram. Rohr & Ebert understand that the Enneagram's usefulness is not in finding and operating out of your type. Rather, it is about understanding yourself and what freedom and Christ-likeness look like.

The only drawback to this book is that some of the language is too nuanced to be widely applicable. If you identify with their language, you'll find it e...more
Patrick Doyle
Not the best book to read if you're looking for a self esteem pick-me-up, but great if you're looking for insight as to how you function and process the world in real terms - the good, bad, and ugly.
Sean Post
Self-assessments are certainly popular. There are plenty of them that claim to give us insight regarding how we work and function. But how helpful are they really? Is the insight that is provided actually meaningful and helpful?

In the case of the Enneagram, the answer is "absolutely." Although I didn't know much about the Enneagram before reading this book, apparently many Christians are freaked out by it. The Enneagram is built around the idea that there are basically nine shapes of the human...more
Rosemarie
This is a great book for anyone who likes personality tests and profiles. You may be familiar with the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) as a test that is commonly used for many purposes. I've taken that one several times and found it interesting, especially when I took it with career placement in mind.

The Enneagram is less well known than the MBTI, but much older. It's also not strictly a test, although there are tests to give you a hint as to what number you are. But most people suggest just...more
Shannon
I read this book in conjunction with listening to Richard Rohr's audio tapes on the Enneagram and discussing them with a group. While I haven't yet read any other Enneagram books, I highly recommend this one. Rohr does a great job of explaining the history of the Enneagram and why it matters to Christians.

For me, knowing my Enneagram number has helped me understand myself better, extend grace to myself for some of my idiosyncrasies and see some of the (annoying) traits of those I love as part of...more
Melody Shores
This is the first personality-type system that has helped me see my own flaws and become more compassionate toward others, especially my spouse. It is humiliating, humbling and all the things Rohr said it would be, but at the same time, gives me hope for real change.
Pranada Comtois
A friend recommended this book to me. I like The Wisdom of the Enneagram better for a thorough explanation of the system. See my review on that book here. The insights in this book tend toward more theological understandings, which I found interesting even though I'm not a Christian. The authors offer additional insights not clearly given in the Wisdom of the Enneagram. If I had to choose between the two I would have to opt for The Wisdom of the Enneagram for its clearly laying out this persona...more
Amy Neftzger
This is a wonderful book that merges psychology and theology to provide a framework for the different schemas people have and explains that people don't all the view and interact with the world in the same way. The book helps to explain why certain people act the way they do, are motivated to do specific things, and why some people get along better than others. The entire theory is based around core sins/ virtues and what people need to do to become balanced and healthy. Having read a lot of psy...more
Amanda Espinoza
I used the book more as a reference tool rather than reading it cover to cover. It explains the Enneagram types really well. The Enneagram is a fascinating study.
Jonathan
I like typologies like the Enneagram, and I also like Richard Rohr. This book does a good job summarizing the nine Enneagram types, but spends too much time on its supposedly religiously plural roots (too much Sufi mysticism and what felt like a shoehorn into Christian history) and then concludes with rapid Christian application. I want a Christian perspective on the issue, but this seemed Christian for purposes of justification of the Enneagram's use (but there are plenty of weird Christian ide...more
Kimberly Coyle
Fascinating. I loved it and I want to know more.
Karla Owen foisy
This book, unlike most personality books, not only describes the reader's personality but it also highlights the unhealthy aspects of one's personality and challenges the reader to adopt healthier practices/coping skills.

Low stars because I had difficulty forcing myself through the pages in order to get the information, because the style is so dry. No personality. Just information. It seems it could have been written with at least an attempt to not read like a mandatory textbook.
Barbara
This leaves me wanting to read more of Richard Rohr's books, the last 20 pages were incredible. His approach to this subject is very pointed and not at all sparing. It helped me make a lot of connections between various aspects of my life experiences and beliefs. Christians interested in understanding what separates them from God and what acts as a barrier to their transformation will find this an enlightening book and only a starting place to a huge base of knowledge and truth.
Erik
I'm not one for self-help literature, and Richard Rohr sometimes sets me on edge, but the authors truly present this not as some astrological power but a tool for self awareness. It was carefully laid out to highlight the same aspects of each personality type in detail, and then summarized all in a nice set of diagrams and a summary chart, so I had something to take with me when I had to return the book. This is one introspection book I do want to use in the future.
Jasonlylescampbell
Typology always frustrates me as I always feel I don't quite fit anywhere. The thing I liked about this book is that it used the types to attack and expose your sinful tendencies and power-dangers. Of course, those are also your great strengths, but it was not slow in putting them in their place and acknowledging the ways we weild our strengths to trouble the world (rather than better it).

It also does help you see the gifts of others ...
Nigel Berry
I'll be revisiting this book for a long time! I feel that a once-over does it injustice and that there is much wisdom to glean within its pages.
Melissa
Kooky at times, and a regrettable section on "Jesus and the Enneagram" at the end, but generally fascinating. I like taking personality-type quizzes online, and the Enneagram seems like a workable classification system. Rohr does a good job, too, of couching the discussion in Christian language (i.e. "these are the sins of a personality type", not just "these are the negative perceptions of a personality type").
Jackie
Uplifting, humiliating, enlightening, life changing......this book is was all of these, for me. It led me to a detailed and informative look at my gifts and weaknesses and gave me solid information about how to effectively manage both. I read this book as part of a group and that contributed to the book's effectiveness. If you are interested in why folks do what they do, you will enjoy this one.
EunSung
Really interesting connection between the Enneagram and the Christian Tradition and theology. I especially liked the section where rohr and andreas ebert uses gospel stories of stories of Jesus to describe how Jesus fits into all 9 personality types at there healthiest. The Enneagram Christmas sermon at the appendix was also amazing. A good book to use also for pastoral counseling.
Rob
A great piece to help discover a bit more about our own personality and overall self awareness. I think it is a more appropriately nuanced and complex scheme for discovering and assessing personality types. It has the benefit (in my opinion) of being a transcultural tool, rather than many of today's personality tools that reflect western cultures stereotypes.
Brad Henderson
Rather than a book that one would read like a novel, this struck me as a book best used as a toolbox for understanding and using the Enneagram. That being said, Rohr's own understanding and expression re the Enneagram is "spot on" and highly useful in helping people to understand themselves and how they function in life. Definitely a keeper!
Wendy
I am particularly interested in applying the Enneagram to my Christian journey and this book helped me to identify ways in which I could do just that. Admitting we're broken is half the battle, and seeing how we can build up one another through faith, coming to terms with our shortcomings...it's powerful stuff.
Sue
Very helpful explanations about the Enneagram personality system from a Christian perspective. It doesn't have the useful questionnaires that some of the other books do, but is still an interesting read. Particularly helpful to learn about how different types tend to prefer different styles of worship.
Mary Jo
I loved this. It is a friendly and encouraging look at the enneagram. I especially liked this way of showing me how to "evolve" or develop the best in myself, and how I sometimes regress. The two authors use their own experience, and that of people they have counselled to illustrate the information.
brooke sellers
The Enneagram is an amazingly wise system for understanding self and others. This particular Enneagram book takes it to another level by connecting it with spiritual significance and calling each "type" into something bigger than their habitual way of being in the world.
  • The Wisdom of the Enneagram: The Complete Guide to Psychological and Spiritual Growth for the Nine  Personality Types
  • The Gift of Being Yourself: The Sacred Call to Self-Discovery
  • The Enneagram in Love and Work: Understanding Your Intimate and Business Relationships
  • The Spiritual Dimension of the Enneagram: Nine Faces of the Soul
  • Strengthening the Soul of Your Leadership: Seeking God in the Crucible of Ministry
  • The Enneagram Made Easy: Discover the 9 Types of People
  • The Divine Hours (Volume Two): Prayers for Autumn and Wintertime: A Manual for Prayer
  • Reaching Out
  • Anatomy of the Soul: Surprising Connections Between Neuroscience and Spiritual Practices that Can Transform Your Life and Relationships
  • Invitation to a Journey: A Road Map for Spiritual Formation
  • The Quotidian Mysteries: Laundry, Liturgy and Women's Work (Madeleva Lecture in Spirituality)
  • Stages of Faith: The Psychology of Human Development and the Quest for Meaning
  • Open Mind, Open Heart: The Contemplative Dimension of the Gospel
  • She Who Is: The Mystery of God in Feminist Theological Discourse
  • The Active Life: A Spirituality of Work, Creativity, and Caring
  • Community And Growth
  • The Dark Night of the Soul: A Psychiatrist Explores the Connection Between Darkness and Spiritual Growth
  • The Holy Longing: The Search for a Christian Spirituality
Fr. Richard Rohr is a globally recognized ecumenical teacher bearing witness to the universal awakening within Christian mysticism and the Perennial Tradition. He is a Franciscan priest of the New Mexico Province and founder of the Center for Action and Contemplation (CAC) in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Fr. Richard's teaching is grounded in the Franciscan alternative orthodoxy—practices of contemplat...more
More about Richard Rohr...
Falling Upward: A Spirituality for the Two Halves of Life Everything Belongs: The Gift of Contemplative Prayer The Naked Now: Learning to See as the Mystics See Immortal Diamond: The Search for Our True Self Breathing Underwater: Spirituality and the 12 Steps

“Much of what is called Christianity has more to do with disguising the ego behind the screen of religion and culture than any real movement toward a God beyond the small self, and a new self in God.” 7 likes