The Room of Lost Things

The Room of Lost Things

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  139 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Under his railway arch in Loughborough Junction, South London, Robert Sutton is taking leave of a lifetime of hard work. His dry-cleaning shop lies at the heart of a lively community, a fixed point in a changing world. And, as he explains to his successor, young East Londoner Akeel, it is also the resting place for the contents of his customers’ pockets - and for their sec...more
320 pages
Published (first published January 1st 2008)

David
I have no hesitation in giving The Room of Lost Things a full five stars. The only initial negative is that it is in a somewhat stream-of-consciousness writing style, therefore not adhering fully to correct punctuation. I spent the first couple of pages wanting to mark it up with a red pen, but then I chilled out about it and let myself be taken with the flow and with the voices of the characters.

And I'm glad I did. In fact, the book reads incredibly easily and quickly.

Each time I had to lay i...more
Jane
Feb 05, 2011 Jane rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with a soul
Were it not for my book club I wouldn't have considered this book. My life would have been so much the poorer! This is a beautiful book, that to me spoke about the human condition and most of all about loneliness and the brief connections that we make with one another. The character of Robert is beautifully observed, and watching his tentative friendship with Akeel develop throughout the book was one of the joys of reading. The revelations are so subtly introduced that it's only a little while a...more
Berenice
A good read, good character building, but lost the plot at the end - as readers we expect the author to make a decision on the ending. This made me feel Ms Duffy had lost her way a bit. At our reading group the ending was a sticking point for all of us and there were also comments that from the title we had expected to find out more about the items in the 'Room'. Having had that little gripe, we did all enjoy reading it, and loved the evocative atmosphere created.
Bookguide
This is the sort of book where not a lot actually happens, and yet you get to know something about the lives of a number of the customers of a dry cleaning shop in Loughborough Junction, a crossing of railway lines in the south of London. The people described all live around the area, but do not necessarily know each other. The owner of the shop has been observing them for years, and seems to know far more about them than one might expect from the brief conversations he has with his customers. I...more
Rosa
Este libro es un gran enga��o de principio a fin. Lo cog�� de la biblioteca por la descripci��n de detr��s (y porque la portada me pareci�� bonita, lo admito ^^): "A book for anyone who's ever lived and loved in London - [...]. Always surprising, always moving, and as fresh as tomorrow". Me apetec��a un mont��n leer un libro que transcurriese en Londres y que adem��s fuese bonito, "moving" y "fresh as tomorrow". Vale, pues este libro es la cosa m��s deprimente del mundo. Son un mont��n de histor...more
Judi Mckay
gives an interesting view of south London life. Quite sad characters. Very different read - hard to categorise into any genre
Tom Perkins
I learned of this book from Simon of the simonreads blog as a book that represents his native country of England. It did take a chapter or two to get into the rhythm of the book, but once I did it was an enjoyable read with a surprise ending that answered a question the book poses, I can't say more on this or it ruin the book for other readers. It helps to have an understanding of life in London to completely enjoy the book, while I never lived in London, I wish I had, I have visited London a nu...more
Louise
really enjoyed this book...
I sort of know the area it is set in, and I think the familiarity of that often helps you enjoy a book more, but mainly what I liked about this was all the characters, and there were many of them, all getting on with their lives in many different ways.
the main character Robert slowly through the course of the book revealed more and more about himself, and I enjoyed that, rather than being told everything up front...
Great book!
Cherry Potts
I loved this book, everything about it from the familiar south london setting to the ambiguous ending delighted me. One of the high spots of my reading year. Another to add to my all time favourite London books.
Ruth
c2008. Recommended by a book blogger. Ummmm.. not sure about this one either. I finished the book, enjoyed the read, but was some what disappointed with the "big reveal". Some really great phrases and pictures of London. "This, son," Robert speaks quietly, looking round the room with obvious pride, "this little lot, is what people leave in their pockets."
Alisonismail
Really enjoyed this, though it took me ages as was reading it when I went into labour and during the very hazy newborn period. For a Londoner (especially a south londoner) the topography is fun although it's unlikely to go into any major literary canon. Could have done with a more meaningful living female character.
Tracy
I loved this book. A great mix of characters all tied together through their proximity to a dry cleaning shop in London. The main character, the dry cleaner, gives the reader access to people from throughout his community and as the story progresses we learn more about him and his life. A great story.
Margaret Chamberlain
it was a very compelling read. Very sad as it's all about the passing of time and getting older and friendships and life and everything, not ideal for holiday reading I expect but I liked it a lot. It has made me want to read more by Stella Duffy, the style of writing is beautiful.
Sarah Watts
Great character observations. On one hand a touching story about different personalities, generations & culture; on the other a narrative on post 7/7 London. Deftly written by the multi-talented Stella Duffy.
Sian
A wonderful book. One of the best London books I've read (blows A Week In December right out the water) and just a lovely book about lives, just everyday lives, and friendship. Loved it.
Adrienne
Not the amusing book that I expected based on her other novels. But a special hymn to a part of London I know and have a fondness for in all it's tawdry run down glory.
Shelley
Beautifully written. A moving and insightful look into everyday lives in a small London community.
speciallyi
Turned out to be an emotional journey, at least for me. Thank you it was a good read. :')
Gemma
Beautiful examination of friendship and lives behind closed doors.
Sara
Feb 04, 2009 Mew rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
moving...real
Lucy

A very interesting read, we get the view of a microcosm of life in south London, seen through the eyes of a dry cleaner, the comings and going of the people who deposit both their cloths and their memories in his shop.

It is a totally original book... And I will always make sure I check my pockets before going to the dry cleaners from now on :-)
Tania
Tania added it
Jul 29, 2014
victoria.p
victoria.p marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Emianngai
Emianngai is currently reading it
Jul 22, 2014
G
G added it
Jul 14, 2014
Alessa Castillo
Alessa Castillo marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Stella Duffy grew up in New Zealand and lives and work in London. She has written thirteen novels, fifty short stories, and ten plays. The Room of Lost Things and State of Happiness were both longlisted for the Orange Prize, and she has twice won Stonewall Writer of the Year. She won the 2002 CWA Short Story Dagger for Martha Grace. She is currently adapting her novel State of Happiness for featur...more
More about Stella Duffy...
Theodora: Actress, Empress, Whore Tart Noir Calendar Girl Singling Out The Couples The Purple Shroud: A Novel of Empress Theodora