Start by marking “Born on the Battlefield” as Want to Read:
Born on the Battlefield

Born on the Battlefield (Conan Ongoing Series 0)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  355 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Writer Kurt Busiek and artist Greg Ruth team up to give you the story of Conan's early life, from his birth on a Cimmerian battlefield to his coming of age as a warrior in the pivotal Battle of Venarium. Sowing the seeds of the barbarian's momentous career, this chronicle of Conan's youthful conquests--both martial and carnal--also showcases master storytellers Busiek and...more
Published July 1st 2008 by Dark Horse Comics (first published May 25th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Born on the Battlefield, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Born on the Battlefield

Clark Hallman
Conan: Born On The Battefield (2008) by Kurt Busiek, Greg Ruth – Kurt Busiek is a writer who knows the Conan character and his environment very well. He has proven how adept he is a portraying the Conan character and his world in a story that is authentic to those that Robert E. Howard created long ago. In addition, Busiek is adept at achieving that authentic character and his adventures in a comic (or graphic novel) format. However, he has needed the work of some great artists to bring Conan an...more
Carol Storm
I've read a lot of Conan, from the Marvel comic books to the novels of Robert Jordan to the original stories by Robert E. Howard, but I really believe this dark coming of age story is among the finest Conan stories ever published.

For the first time readers get an up close look at Cimmeria, and Conan's childhood in the simple village. While a lot of the adventures are the usual warlike stuff -- Conan tears out a wolf's throat at the age of twelve -- there's a lot of poignant and complex issues f...more
Jaime
The Re-imagining of Conan's Past

While I loved the story, I have to admit I wasn't a big fan of the artwork. Not that it's bad, but it just isn't my style. I think it's because of how much I love Cary Nord's work on the other volumes that the art in this one just didn't resonate with me. Again...not a knock on the artist as the art is good...just not my personal preference.

On the other hand, the story and writing were excellent and I enjoyed the look into where Conan's wanderlust came from. I als...more
Becky
The artwork is not nearly as crisp and clean as the other graphic novels (although the marvelous artwork may have spoiled me), but the stories are *fantastic!* They've done a really great job of filling in Conan's childhood and providing context for how he became the man that you see in the following books.

I highly recommend this book for any fan of Conan and especially if you want to know more about his past and what led up to him leaving Cimmeria and exploring the land.
arjuna
Going to cheat and agree with this review - I don't have the canon background so can't comment on that, but I thoroughly enjoyed the stories, artwork and mood, and am looking forward to more. Lovely moody pulpy action. Now if only someone would redo Arthur of the Britons as a comic like this!
Dave-O
The story is a little too "Lord of the Rings" for me complete with a Gollum-like cameo and an epic battle or three. Still, a solid 'origin' story with surprising psychological insight of characters and the artwork is quite beautiful with frequent nods to Frank Frazetta.
April
I know people seem to prefer these graphic novels to the stories by Howard and those that came after him... but I have to admit I don't. I’ve yet to read a graphic novel about Conan that didn’t irk me for one reason or another. And the Conan featured in this graphic novel has far too little to do to occupy his mind and literally gets away with murder in his early teens. So the only reason Born on the Battlefield gets 3 stars is the second half was much better than the first. Plus the artwork was...more
Scott Lee
Unless you've been living under a rock you know what Conan is. This is great Conan. I know Conan entirely through comics and the semi-awful Arnold Schwarzenegger film Conan the Destroyer...and by reputation. This is good Conan. Slick, strong storytelling; vibrant, graphic art...Yep. This is GREAT Conan. Now where'd I put volume 1?
Chace
Literally the best book ever! I love the entire series, but I always find myself going back to this book and re-reading it all the time. I love seeing Conan grow up from a Child and see how he developed into such an amazing person!

Lisa
I like the world Conan takes place in but not really sure how much I like the character of Conan.

Red Sonja is wayyyy better!
Christer Karlsson
Think I have been spoiled by the artwork of the other books in the series. This one is not bad, but does not hold the same high standard regarding the art. On the bright side, the stories are excellent, in my mind one of the best in the series.
If you are a fan of Conan, and want a more accurate view than what the movie gave regarding his childhood, this is a good read. Ok, it is admittedly a graphic novel, but it for sure capture the spirit of Howard.
Paul
An often unexplored part of Conan's life, his youth!
The art has a savagery to it that perfectly matches the sombre story-telling of a child growing up in the nordic wastelands of his world.
Multiple short stories about a young Conan growing into the man as Robert E. Howard would define him.
Kudos to Kurt Busiek for this rare glimpse into our favorite babarian's past.
Joe
This book was OK. Mostly, I didn't care for the art style at all. I know some people like this kind of sloppy watercolor type approach to comics, but I don't like it at all.

Also, some of the stories were a bit rambling, lacking the tightness that I have seen in other Conan stories.

Others were pretty decent, though, so this isn't a terrible book, it just left me a bit cold.
David Hunter
great art, and a compelling origin story
Fia Eamónn Wåhlin
I have always thought Conan had a bad reputation for some reason (perhaps since the movies about him sucked) but I love Robert e Howard so when I borrowed this GN from a friend a had high expectations. And it was great! Conan is really a great story and character and I will definitely read everything I find!
Robert
I love all of the Robert E. Howard Conan stories. I've read every one. I really enjoyed this graphic version of his early days. Hopefully I can find some of the other books in this series.
Dominic
Nov 29, 2008 Dominic marked it as the-vault
While not based on Robert Howard's work directly as is the case with most of the other Dark Horse books in this line, it was certainly written in homage to him and his work. I found it very entertaining. It certainly fits very well into the mythos of Conan as Howard penned it.
S! Brett Lord
An outstanding, epic introduction to the mythic beginnings of Robert E. Howard's Conan of Cimmeria, second only to Howard's original prose. Highly recommended.
Tom
Beautiful art, wicked stories. Really makes Conan seem like a bad ass, fighting wolves hand to hand when he's 8. I hope there's more.
Drewscape Drewscape
Art and story are both great. Worth reading and owning, i liked and enjoyed the other volumes in the conan series. But i loved this volume.
John
Read this with my daughter. Her empathy for the characters was impressive. Otherwise, the story lacks some of the old punch.
Rose
CROM!

I should start writing some real reviews.
Liked a lot - must read more in the series.
Robert
one word to sum it up "amazing"
bkwurm
Brilliantly drawn, great story.
Charles
This one is my favorite one of the Conan graphic novels. Its a very gritty and original story of Conan's childhood to young adulthood in the unforgiving and cold hills of Cimmeria. So good, I recommend any red blooded male read this one!
Zanne
Jul 07, 2012 Zanne marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
24.95
Azenith
Azenith marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
  • Conan, Vol. 5: Rogues in the House and Other Stories
  • Conan, Vol. 6: The Hand of Nergal
  • Conan, Vol. 13: Queen of the Black Coast
  • Solomon Kane: The Castle of the Devil (Dark Horse's Solomon Kane, #1)
  • The Savage Sword of Conan, Volume 1
  • Lobster Johnson, Vol. 1: The Iron Prometheus (Lobster Johnson, #1)
  • Age of Bronze Volume 2: Sacrifice
  • The Goon, Volume 5: Wicked Inclinations
  • Criminal, Vol. 6: The Last of the Innocent
  • The Sixth Gun, Vol. 3: Bound
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 9: Strychnine Lives
Kurt Busiek is an American comic book writer notable for his work on the Marvels limited series, his own title Astro City, and his four-year run on Avengers.

Busiek did not read comics as a youngster, as his parents disapproved of them. He began to read them regularly around the age of 14, when he picked up a copy of Daredevil #120. This was the first part of a continuity-heavy four-part story arc;...more
More about Kurt Busiek...
Marvels Astro City, Vol. 1: Life in the Big City Superman: Secret Identity Astro City, Vol. 2: Confession JLA/Avengers