Start by marking “Born on the Battlefield” as Want to Read:
Born on the Battlefield

Born on the Battlefield (Conan Ongoing Series 0)

Writer Kurt Busiek and artist Greg Ruth team up to give you the story of Conan's early life, from his birth on a Cimmerian battlefield to his coming of age as a warrior in the pivotal Battle of Venarium. Sowing the seeds of the barbarian's momentous career, this chronicle of Conan's youthful conquests--both martial and carnal--also showcases master storytellers Busiek and ...more
Published July 1st 2008 by Dark Horse Comics (first published May 25th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Born on the Battlefield, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Born on the Battlefield

Carol Storm
Jan 21, 2014 Carol Storm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read a lot of Conan, from the Marvel comic books to the novels of Robert Jordan to the original stories by Robert E. Howard, but I really believe this dark coming of age story is among the finest Conan stories ever published.

For the first time readers get an up close look at Cimmeria, and Conan's childhood in the simple village. While a lot of the adventures are the usual warlike stuff -- Conan tears out a wolf's throat at the age of twelve -- there's a lot of poignant and complex issues f
Clark Hallman
Conan: Born On The Battefield (2008) by Kurt Busiek, Greg Ruth – Kurt Busiek is a writer who knows the Conan character and his environment very well. He has proven how adept he is a portraying the Conan character and his world in a story that is authentic to those that Robert E. Howard created long ago. In addition, Busiek is adept at achieving that authentic character and his adventures in a comic (or graphic novel) format. However, he has needed the work of some great artists to bring Conan an ...more
Jesse A
May 05, 2016 Jesse A rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Pretty well done with distinct, appropriate art. 3.5 stars.
Jaime
Dec 23, 2013 Jaime rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Re-imagining of Conan's Past

While I loved the story, I have to admit I wasn't a big fan of the artwork. Not that it's bad, but it just isn't my style. I think it's because of how much I love Cary Nord's work on the other volumes that the art in this one just didn't resonate with me. Again...not a knock on the artist as the art is good...just not my personal preference.

On the other hand, the story and writing were excellent and I enjoyed the look into where Conan's wanderlust came from. I als
Andrew
Apr 04, 2015 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good-stuff, dudeness
I'm glad I went back and read vol. 0. Conan and the relationship he has with his grandfather, Connacht, is just terrific. And some people may assume that the emotions involved in a book like this must be shallow, melodramatic. Well, they'd be wrong. Conan has to deal with growing up a stranger in his community, lonely, angry and yet still loyal and mischievous. When it goes down at Valerium, Conan is in the front with his fellow Cimmerians, letting the Aqualonians have a taste of the brutal stee ...more
J.W. Metcalf
Jan 16, 2015 J.W. Metcalf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the Conan comics. A good choice for any Conan fan.
Becky
May 28, 2011 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The artwork is not nearly as crisp and clean as the other graphic novels (although the marvelous artwork may have spoiled me), but the stories are *fantastic!* They've done a really great job of filling in Conan's childhood and providing context for how he became the man that you see in the following books.

I highly recommend this book for any fan of Conan and especially if you want to know more about his past and what led up to him leaving Cimmeria and exploring the land.
João Batista
Nov 05, 2014 João Batista rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"A primeira coisa que os olhos dele verão será um bando de vanires mortos!" Com essas palavras, o pai de Conan vê seu filho nascendo no campo de batalha e tem início uma história não contada nas obras de Howard sobre Conan, pelo menos não oficialmente...
Podemos acompanhar Conan desde o nascimento, passando pelos pequenos trabalhos realizados pela criança, como serviços de mensageiro, a ajuda ao pai na forja, a sua atenção às histórias contadas à noite, até as brincadeiras de criança; e, como em
arjuna
May 17, 2013 arjuna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Going to cheat and agree with this review - I don't have the canon background so can't comment on that, but I thoroughly enjoyed the stories, artwork and mood, and am looking forward to more. Lovely moody pulpy action. Now if only someone would redo Arthur of the Britons as a comic like this!
Scott Lee
Jul 03, 2014 Scott Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unless you've been living under a rock you know what Conan is. This is great Conan. I know Conan entirely through comics and the semi-awful Arnold Schwarzenegger film Conan the Destroyer...and by reputation. This is good Conan. Slick, strong storytelling; vibrant, graphic art...Yep. This is GREAT Conan. Now where'd I put volume 1?
Dave-O
Oct 27, 2009 Dave-O rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story is a little too "Lord of the Rings" for me complete with a Gollum-like cameo and an epic battle or three. Still, a solid 'origin' story with surprising psychological insight of characters and the artwork is quite beautiful with frequent nods to Frank Frazetta.
Chace
Feb 02, 2014 Chace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Literally the best book ever! I love the entire series, but I always find myself going back to this book and re-reading it all the time. I love seeing Conan grow up from a Child and see how he developed into such an amazing person!

April
I know people seem to prefer these graphic novels to the stories by Howard and those that came after him... but I have to admit I don't. I’ve yet to read a graphic novel about Conan that didn’t irk me for one reason or another. And the Conan featured in this graphic novel has far too little to do to occupy his mind and literally gets away with murder in his early teens. So the only reason Born on the Battlefield gets 3 stars is the second half was much better than the first. Plus the artwork was ...more
Timothy Boyd
Jan 26, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The new Conan comic series does good justice to the Robert E. Howard stories. While the art does come and go in quality at time, overall it is a good. The adaptations of the original stories is well done. The fill in stories are also well done and follow the flow of the Character's life as written by Howard. Recommended to comic fans and Very recommended to Howard and Conan fans.
Ondra Král
Aug 18, 2015 Ondra Král rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Conanovo dětství roztroušené po celé knize Kolosálního Conana. Možná i díky tomu, že jsem ho nečetl naráz, mě bavilo. I když tu jde vidět inspirace Thorgalem (pokud to takhle napsal už dřív Howard, tak moje chyba), je to příjemný příběh s hezkou závěrečnou bitvou. Ač to není nic extra originálního, ty 4* kvůli kresbě nakonec dám.
Wayne
Jun 26, 2015 Wayne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this graphic novel.I have always wanted to know more about Conans early life in the north.The cimmerians are well rounded characters,& shows there celtic clan system as REH would of approved of.Good to read in a Australian winter.Great art too.
Robert Morganbesser
A decent addition

While I could have done without the unnecessary prologue and epilogue, this story of Conan as a youth is well done. I think Robert Howard himself would have approved.
Matthew Godlewski
A good tale focusing on Conan's years as a toddler/teen. Lays the foundation for the fighting spirit he displays in his later adventures and a possible explanation for his dislike/distrust of wizards. Main drawback is the rough art work in this volume. While it does set the tone of someone looking back through fuzzy memories of the past, I'm not a fan. Will be moving on to Volume 2 at some point, but am going to read a novel or two first.
Angela
Sep 12, 2015 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
I haven't read any Conan before but wanted to start. I liked this book, the illustrations were compelling and the story a good origin one.
Lisa
Jun 17, 2014 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I like the world Conan takes place in but not really sure how much I like the character of Conan.

Red Sonja is wayyyy better!
harlequin {Stephanie}
The art was breathtaking.
Christer Karlsson
May 27, 2011 Christer Karlsson rated it it was amazing
Think I have been spoiled by the artwork of the other books in the series. This one is not bad, but does not hold the same high standard regarding the art. On the bright side, the stories are excellent, in my mind one of the best in the series.
If you are a fan of Conan, and want a more accurate view than what the movie gave regarding his childhood, this is a good read. Ok, it is admittedly a graphic novel, but it for sure capture the spirit of Howard.
Paul
Nov 24, 2012 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An often unexplored part of Conan's life, his youth!
The art has a savagery to it that perfectly matches the sombre story-telling of a child growing up in the nordic wastelands of his world.
Multiple short stories about a young Conan growing into the man as Robert E. Howard would define him.
Kudos to Kurt Busiek for this rare glimpse into our favorite babarian's past.
Joe
Sep 10, 2010 Joe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was OK. Mostly, I didn't care for the art style at all. I know some people like this kind of sloppy watercolor type approach to comics, but I don't like it at all.

Also, some of the stories were a bit rambling, lacking the tightness that I have seen in other Conan stories.

Others were pretty decent, though, so this isn't a terrible book, it just left me a bit cold.
David Hunter
Oct 22, 2014 David Hunter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
great art, and a compelling origin story
Fia Eamónn Wåhlin
Aug 03, 2011 Fia Eamónn Wåhlin rated it really liked it
I have always thought Conan had a bad reputation for some reason (perhaps since the movies about him sucked) but I love Robert e Howard so when I borrowed this GN from a friend a had high expectations. And it was great! Conan is really a great story and character and I will definitely read everything I find!
Robert
Jan 02, 2014 Robert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love all of the Robert E. Howard Conan stories. I've read every one. I really enjoyed this graphic version of his early days. Hopefully I can find some of the other books in this series.
Dominic
Nov 29, 2008 Dominic marked it as the-vault
While not based on Robert Howard's work directly as is the case with most of the other Dark Horse books in this line, it was certainly written in homage to him and his work. I found it very entertaining. It certainly fits very well into the mythos of Conan as Howard penned it.
S! Brett Lord
Jun 21, 2008 S! Brett Lord rated it it was amazing
An outstanding, epic introduction to the mythic beginnings of Robert E. Howard's Conan of Cimmeria, second only to Howard's original prose. Highly recommended.
Tom
Jul 30, 2010 Tom rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
Beautiful art, wicked stories. Really makes Conan seem like a bad ass, fighting wolves hand to hand when he's 8. I hope there's more.
  • Conan, Vol. 6: The Hand of Nergal
  • Conan, Vol. 13: Queen of the Black Coast
  • Solomon Kane: The Castle of the Devil (Dark Horse's Solomon Kane, #1)
  • The Savage Sword of Conan, Volume 2
  • Sub-Mariner: The Depths
  • The Goon, Volume 2: My Murderous Childhood (and Other Grievous Yarns)
  • B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth, Vol. 2: Gods and Monsters (B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth, #2)
  • Skullkickers Vol. 1: 1000 Opas and a Dead Body
Kurt Busiek is an American comic book writer notable for his work on the Marvels limited series, his own title Astro City, and his four-year run on Avengers.

Busiek did not read comics as a youngster, as his parents disapproved of them. He began to read them regularly around the age of 14, when he picked up a copy of Daredevil #120. This was the first part of a continuity-heavy four-part story arc;
More about Kurt Busiek...

Conan Ongoing Series (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Conan, Vol. 1: The Frost Giant's Daughter and Other Stories