Start by marking “The Invention of Truth” as Want to Read:
The Invention of Truth

The Invention of Truth

The talented Italian author of Girl in a Turban now intertwines two narratives: the first about a French queen who calls upon 300 of her kingdom's most talented women to bring to life her vision of what will become the famous Bayeaux tapestry and the second about the great English art critic John Ruskin who arrives in the grimy city of Amiens to reflect upon his life.
Published January 28th 1995 by Ecco Press (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Invention of Truth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Invention of Truth

Pat
Jun 13, 2010 Pat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a jewel of a book. I began by savoring, parsing out little bits of reading to myself but then I devoured it.

Two stories recounted in parallel, the making of the Bayeux tapestry by queen Matilda and 300 women, and John Ruskin readin the Cathedral in Amiens; together these create a meditation on the making and experiencing of art. The implicit comparison between thread and stone is brilliant, heartfelt narrative, talent, and skill joining the two.
Jeffrey
Aug 22, 2012 Jeffrey rated it it was amazing
An exquisite little novella that links the tapestry (an imagined creation that is) and the aesthetic master John Ruskin's final voyage to the continent to see Amiens Cathedral - delicious in ever detail
Robert Wechsler
Feb 14, 2014 Robert Wechsler rated it liked it
Shelves: italian-lit
It would have been hard for this book to have been as good as The Alphonse Courrier Affair, and it isn’t. It is instead an almost ethereal novella with two alternating stories, neither of which is really a story and which are related aesthetically. This makes the work sound more intellectual than it is. The prose is not, nor so much are the themes, especially in the tapestry story (the other, about John Ruskin, is certainly aided by having read Ruskin, or at least knowing who he was).

In short, t
Adam
Aug 01, 2011 Adam rated it really liked it
A historical-fiction novella from an Italian author, linking two richly-imagined episodes in Anglo/Franco art history. Victorian aesthete John Ruskin makes, late in life, a final visit to a favorite cathedral in Amiens. And--at the same time, trading in 2-page increments--we get a legend-like tale of a medieval queen who gathers 300 needlewoman from her kingdom to produce one massive, inspired piece of embroidery.

The intermingling of private and public truth "invented" through a pursuit of art,
Sue
Nov 03, 2014 Sue rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014
Part John Ruskin on final tour/part seamstress for a queen's tapestry both in Amiens, France. Loved the seamstress part. Definitely in this trend of micro moments, that I am not sure I approve of. Sick of the trend perhaps? Perhaps I am just a malcontent because as much as I love Colum McCann, I get sick of his macro moments in literature too. I intend to check out Morazzoni's Girl in a Turban.
Tommie
Jan 13, 2016 Tommie rated it it was ok
Shelves: france
This is a very prettily written book, but despite being slim it felt like a slog and was ultimately an unrewarding read for me
Dominique
Dominique rated it it was ok
Oct 11, 2008
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was ok
Aug 14, 2014
Kimberly Martin
Kimberly Martin rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2015
John
Oct 26, 2011 John rated it did not like it
Shelves: disappointment
I found it very hard to focus on a story which had as little interest and point as this.
Robert Pruchniewicz
Robert Pruchniewicz rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2010
Jillian Moreno
Jillian Moreno rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2013
Gigi
Gigi rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2011
Sheri
Sheri rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2011
Valerie
Valerie rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2008
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2010
Rachel Joy
Rachel Joy rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2014
Az
Az rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2009
Shelley Ruble
Shelley Ruble rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2016
Silas
Silas rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2009
sara
sara rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2010
Caroline
Caroline rated it it was ok
Jul 26, 2007
Teresa
Teresa rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2010
Barbara
a gem
Molly
Molly rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2015
Kris
Kris rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2014
Eve Ness
Eve Ness rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2014
Jenna
Jenna rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2014
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2013
Lena
Lena rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2010
Born in 1950, she is an high school teacher
More about Marta Morazzoni...