Start by marking “The Invention of Truth” as Want to Read:
The Invention of Truth

The Invention of Truth

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The talented Italian author of Girl in a Turban now intertwines two narratives: the first about a French queen who calls upon 300 of her kingdom's most talented women to bring to life her vision of what will become the famous Bayeaux tapestry and the second about the great English art critic John Ruskin who arrives in the grimy city of Amiens to reflect upon his life.
Published January 28th 1995 by Ecco Press (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Invention of Truth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Invention of Truth

Pat
a jewel of a book. I began by savoring, parsing out little bits of reading to myself but then I devoured it.

Two stories recounted in parallel, the making of the Bayeux tapestry by queen Matilda and 300 women, and John Ruskin readin the Cathedral in Amiens; together these create a meditation on the making and experiencing of art. The implicit comparison between thread and stone is brilliant, heartfelt narrative, talent, and skill joining the two.
Robert Wechsler
It would have been hard for this book to have been as good as The Alphonse Courrier Affair, and it isn’t. It is instead an almost ethereal novella with two alternating stories, neither of which is really a story and which are related aesthetically. This makes the work sound more intellectual than it is. The prose is not, nor so much are the themes, especially in the tapestry story (the other, about John Ruskin, is certainly aided by having read Ruskin, or at least knowing who he was).

In short, t
Jeffrey
An exquisite little novella that links the tapestry (an imagined creation that is) and the aesthetic master John Ruskin's final voyage to the continent to see Amiens Cathedral - delicious in ever detail
Sue
Part John Ruskin on final tour/part seamstress for a queen's tapestry both in Amiens, France. Loved the seamstress part. Definitely in this trend of micro moments, that I am not sure I approve of. Sick of the trend perhaps? Perhaps I am just a malcontent because as much as I love Colum McCann, I get sick of his macro moments in literature too. I intend to check out Morazzoni's Girl in a Turban.
Adam
A historical-fiction novella from an Italian author, linking two richly-imagined episodes in Anglo/Franco art history. Victorian aesthete John Ruskin makes, late in life, a final visit to a favorite cathedral in Amiens. And--at the same time, trading in 2-page increments--we get a legend-like tale of a medieval queen who gathers 300 needlewoman from her kingdom to produce one massive, inspired piece of embroidery.

The intermingling of private and public truth "invented" through a pursuit of art,
John
I found it very hard to focus on a story which had as little interest and point as this.
Christine
One of the all-time greats...to be read again and again.
Barbara
a gem
Lena
Lena marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Onneli
Onneli marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Jewls
Jewls marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Margo
Margo marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Molly
Molly added it
Feb 25, 2014
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014
Ansley
Ansley marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
Brad
Brad added it
May 21, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Born in 1950, she is an high school teacher
More about Marta Morazzoni...
The Alphonse Courrier Affair La nota segreta Girl In A Turban His Mothers House Het huis