The Clouds Above

The Clouds Above

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  440 ratings  ·  58 reviews
This gorgeously packaged (yet affordable) children's fantasy has become an instant classic since its original hardcover release in 2005, as well as a perennial bestseller for Fantagraphics in three hardcover printings. This paperback edition includes five new pages not included previously.

The Clouds Above is a rip-roaring adventure about a kid named Simon, who skips school...more
Published April 17th 2008 by Fantagraphics (first published March 10th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Clouds Above, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Clouds Above

L13_Allison Safran
For our graphic novel study, I chose to read The Clouds Above by Jordan Crane. This book was published in 2005. The book is appealing from the beginning because it is rather small. It reminded me of a board book in its size. Additionally, the outside of the book is pink with fluffy clouds. I found the book interesting because I have seen many graphic novels before that are black or gray and have many more action or comic like figures on the front. This book cover was a refreshing change of pace...more
Eric Orchard
Pretty much a perfect comic for kids. Amazing art and narrative. It really shows the diversity of work published by Fanagraphics and the quality of their books right across the board.Jordan Crane's art is stunning, it totally charms you from the first page.
Bryan Rountree
I have been a fan of Jordan Crane since I first encountered his work in the Kramer's Ergot 5 anthology. Against the alternative/experimental comic book visual context of a lot of Gary Panter protégés (for better and worse) both Jordan and K.E. editor Sammy Harkham's clean-line styles stand out for being perhaps more "cartoonishly" traditional. His instantly recognizable draftsmanship and vignette form of storytelling, however, have me hooked.

I am more familiar with his more disaffected and nihil...more
lucy by the sea
Lucy Longstocking review http://www.wcl.govt.nz/blogs/kids/ind...

My favourite weather is mist. My second favourite weather is rain. It has been very rainy in Wellington recently. I love it.

Have you ever heard people say that rain is the clouds crying? My sister used to say that, and this book proves she was right.

“The Clouds Above” is a graphic-novel with wonderful pictures that recounts “the terribly terrific and tremendously true travels of Simon and Jack”. Simon is a boy with a wicked teacher...more
Maggie
CIP: "Simon and his cat Jack take a shortcut to school that leads them on a series of adventures in the clouds, where they discover a fantastical world that is both far away and right around the corner."

Maggie: A cute story that follows a young boy, Simon, and his cat Jack in their otherworldly misadventures that occur when trying to escape punishment from his elementary school teacher. The illustrations are fun and clear, and I liked that there was only one per page, which makes following the s...more
Andy Shuping
I don’t remember where I first came across this book, but something about the description intrigued me. A young boy and his cat that skip school one day and climb a staircase to have adventures in the cloud…something about that just sounded magical and it went on my list of books to read at some point. I now wish that I had read it sooner, because it’s quickly become one of my favorite books that I’ve read this year with its fantastic illustrations and the absolutely charming story.

Simon and his...more
Chelsea
1 graphic novel appropriate for grades K-6th
Crane, Jordan. The Clouds Above. Seattle, WA: Fantagraphics Books, 2005. Print. 216 p.

An adventure begins when Simon is late for school again. Instead of facing his “old crow” teacher, Missus Poe, he and his fat cat Jack hide out on the rooftop of the school building. Soon, they discover a door that leads to a stairway. Curiosity gets the better of them and they head up the stairs. Simon and Jack encounter birds, fluffy pink clouds and soon meet Perch...more
Sri
Buku fantasi yang cocok untuk anak-anak. Ada sekolah yang tidak menyenangkan karena gurunya tidak menyenangkan. Ada kucing yang marah karena disebut anjing. Ada tangga ke langit, ke awan. Ada awan yang menangis karena cemburu pada burung yang bisa terbang. Ada burung-burung yang balas dendam dengan cara membawa si anak dan si kucing yang bukan anjing itu kembali ke kelas. Ternyata guru galak takut burung. Seisi kelas riuh rendah menirukan suara burung. Yay!
sweet pea
this book has fantastic illustrations reminiscent of old-timey comics, with an updated colorful feel. the plot also manages to be both novel and evocative of earlier works, like james and the giant peach. the first and last parts of the book are especially exceptional. the first, for the amazing stairs. the last, because it reminds me greatly of a ridiculous teacher i had who would cower with her fingers in her ears whenever a bee was in the room. apparently, she had heard a story of someone bei...more
Veronica
Johnny
Unbearably cute and beautifully drawn. At first, I felt the pacing was off, as it seemed a bit rushed. The more I fell into it, I found the frenzy let me slip into that scared-but-excited child's daydream mindset, where you keep climbing the stairs to nowhere but don't really know why becuase you're pretty certain you're going to fall off but oh look birds what is this a cloud we're definitely going to fall off and die soon. Very Adventure Time-ish, but with a little more acoustic guitar, if you...more
Valerie
Oct 03, 2008 Valerie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kim, Sarah
The Clouds Above is a charming and imaginative graphic novel for the younger set (I'd guess in the 5- to 8-year-old range). I found it while browsing at the library yesterday and was so taken with it that I took it home and read it the same night. The illustrations and story line are really engaging as a young boy and his very long-tailed cat skip school and find a stairway leading up to the clouds, escaping his spirit-crushing teacher and going on an adventure in the sky.

I loved every panel of...more
Rainey
An odd adventure through a depressed rain cloud with truly fantastic illustrations.
Joe
Single frame per page graphic novel appropriate for kids 8 - adult.
Chris Hays
Wonderful artwork....short to non-existent story.

Ian
What are you talking about.
Tyler
Felt like a hip cartoon at times, especially due to the brisk pacing; but I was most reminded of Roald Dahl, not just because (like James and the Giant Peach) much of the story takes place in the air and includes flocks of birds, but because of the feeling of anarchic strangeness, of clever kids triumphing over pitiful, sniveling adults.
Ashley
A picture-a-page kind of comic that tells the story about a boy who climbs a set of stairs into the clouds with his cat instead of enduring the wrath of his cranky schoolteacher. One of those stories where a lot of mild, fantastical events happen in a short span of time, without any particular attention to character development or lessons. Just a lovely gentle read with enough weirdness and humour to make you smile as you read.
T.V and Book Addict
Really cute! Very similar to Calvin and Hobbs which I adore. Quite fun, but sadly much too short. Simon and Jack's relationship is not as fully developed as I hoped, but it still managed to be a bit heartwarming. The illustrations were cute and fun. Reminded me of the wacky, but irresistibly fun animation in Adventure Time (Adult Swim T.V show). This book's a keeper that I will share with the kiddies. :)
Earline
Jun 11, 2008 Earline rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like pink clouds
Shelves: comics, pretty
I picked up this book because I thought it was adorable. Apparently I think small square books, pink clouds, cats with extra long tails, and giant flocks of angsty birds are super cute. Although the story didn't really win me over I really loved the art. If Jordan Crane teamed up with James Kochalka they would create the most unbearably cute book ever.
Heath
An extremely fun, linear, humorous fantasy in which a boy and his cat go off the beaten path on their way to school only to befriend a cloud, anger the birds, and have a series of adventures. More fantastic than much of Jordan's work, and his line seems to have sharpened. The colors are glorious. Good for children of all ages.
Jasmine
My favorite part was when Perch the puddle gets abandoned from the flock of yellow birds and helplessly says "Come back".

And I imagined Jack the kitty with a British accent. It just suited him. Poor Jack, the yellow birdies kept calling him a dog.

Those were some pretty damn vicious birds.
Shanna
The book has a daydream feel to it, like something you would imagine doing while waiting at the DMV or sitting through a boring meeting.

Not much of a story, but the quality of the illustrations more than made up for it. I especially like the cat with the ridiculously long tail...
Aricle
Apr 24, 2007 Aricle rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who appreciates animals and art.
Shelves: want-to-own
This is a beautifully drawn and coloured little chunky book. The colours used remind me of Peter Max's art and the story of a boy and his cat going off the beaten track is compelling. It reminds me of my favourite books from childhood and the bond I share with my cats.
Ariel
Apr 21, 2007 Ariel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People (and zombies) who enjoy art and/or children's books
Shelves: want-to-own
Jen
The story was cute and the kitty with the super long tail had some snappy comebacks, but the real star of this comic was the fantastic color work. Jordan has a fine tuned graphic eye which makes this book a feast for the eyeballs!
Gala
Totally beautiful and funny and clever. I picked this up at a show of Jordan Crane's work at Fantagraphics, Seattle. If you live in Seattle, and like graphic novel/ alternative comics, you should duck into this place.
Even though this light graphic novel has less than 250 words in it with pretty light drawings...it still took me over two weeks to get through! Not *nearly* enough reading time in my life apparently. Fun story though.
Sayeh
Ughhhh i just luved this book when i first got it at the library!! I read it over 15 times! It was a graphic novel so i finished that 15 times in 2 days! I just was looking at graphic novels and thought of this!
Katie Walton
I love this book so much. The story is completely engaging and the illustrations are just darling. This is a must read in my book. I have promised myself that I will buy a copy if I ever pass it on the shelves.
  • Tales of Woodsman Pete
  • Dogs and Water
  • Set to Sea
  • Werewolves of Montpellier
  • Hildafolk
  • Peanutbutter & Jeremy's Best Book Ever!
  • Weathercraft