Start by marking “The Boy Next Door” as Want to Read:
The Boy Next Door

The Boy Next Door

3.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  59 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Brinck presents the explosive true story of the boy next door who turned out to be a psychotic killer. Police were unable to tie a local misfit, Jon Dunkle, to the stabbing death of 12-year-old Lance Turner in 1984--until another murder surfaced and a female police officer had the courage to pose as the suspect's girlfriend to get at the truth. 12 pages of photos.
Published (first published September 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Boy Next Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boy Next Door

Brenna
Apr 12, 2010 Brenna rated it liked it
During the early days of his incarceration, Jon Dunkle talked about how his reading of the Bible helped him through. "'I like the Desiderata too,' he added, though he couldn't begin to pronounce it," writes author/researcher Gretchen Brinck.

Dunkle was undiagnosed as being dyslexic for much of his life, so any attempt he made to read a text as dense as the Bible would have had that much more impact than it would have on the average person. What remained unproven at the time he revealed this infor
Fishface
Feb 06, 2016 Fishface rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
The story of a humble little serial killer in Anytown, USA who preyed on little boys. Pretty well-written and not overly sympathetic to the killer. Never drags.
Nancy
Aug 06, 2011 Nancy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I normally like true crime novels but this one was very hard to get into. Jumping back and forth with, what I believe to be, useless information at times. In fact, the book could have had 150 less pages and still told the same story. I would not recommend it to anyone that is a big fan of true crime because it falls short of the page-turners I'm used to.
Courtney Himes
This is a compelling story about a young man who murdered three children within a span of five to six years, frustrating a small police department with little money to finance a long running investigation. I have not yet finished the book, but so far it is pretty good. I know it's not great because I am able to put this book down!
Stephanie Phipps
Dec 07, 2012 Stephanie Phipps rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story frightens me as a mom. Several deaths of young boys, only thing in common is who killed them. His first victim being his best freinds little brother. He is a vicous young man who assaults victims other than ones he kills. Making you wonder how he got away with so much for so long. I own this book, part of my collection.
Suzanne
Mar 07, 2012 Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well researched and well written. A bit a of difficult read as this took place in my home town, and I knew one of the victims and his family.
Louise
Apr 06, 2009 Louise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
From front of book:

"He lived in their peaceful town. He went to their church. And he was killing their children."

Excellent book!!

Nikki
Jun 06, 2012 Nikki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intense thriller. I couldn't put it down, but couldn't fall asleep afterwards.
Sue
Apr 15, 2011 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
really interesting book , makes you wonder about people.
Selia
Selia marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Taryn
Taryn rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Helen Bourke
Helen Bourke marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
David  Stuart
David Stuart rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2015
Jackie Peterson
Jackie Peterson rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2015
Myra
Myra added it
Sep 04, 2015
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2015
Mary Bronson
Mary Bronson marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Rhana Williams
Rhana Williams rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2015
Tammy Hill
Tammy Hill marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Cary Morton
Cary Morton marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
W James
W James rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2015
Bernadette Carrillo
Bernadette Carrillo marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
jane canfield
jane canfield rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2015
Alilly
Alilly added it
Feb 14, 2015
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2015
Lynn
Lynn added it
Jan 25, 2015
Ollie Brumley
Ollie Brumley marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014