3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Brinck presents the explosive true story of the boy next door who turned out to be a psychotic killer. Police were unable to tie a local misfit, Jon Dunkle, to the stabbing death of 12-year-old Lance Turner in 1984--until another murder surfaced and a female police officer had the courage to pose as the suspect's girlfriend to get at the truth. 12 pages of photos.

To ask other readers questions about The Boy Next Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boy Next Door

Bren
During the early days of his incarceration, Jon Dunkle talked about how his reading of the Bible helped him through. "'I like the Desiderata too,' he added, though he couldn't begin to pronounce it," writes author/researcher Gretchen Brinck.

Dunkle was undiagnosed as being dyslexic for much of his life, so any attempt he made to read a text as dense as the Bible would have had that much more impact than it would have on the average person. What remained unproven at the time he revealed this infor...more
Courtney Himes
This is a compelling story about a young man who murdered three children within a span of five to six years, frustrating a small police department with little money to finance a long running investigation. I have not yet finished the book, but so far it is pretty good. I know it's not great because I am able to put this book down!
Stephanie Phipps
This story frightens me as a mom. Several deaths of young boys, only thing in common is who killed them. His first victim being his best freinds little brother. He is a vicous young man who assaults victims other than ones he kills. Making you wonder how he got away with so much for so long. I own this book, part of my collection.
Suzanne
Well researched and well written. A bit a of difficult read as this took place in my home town, and I knew one of the victims and his family.
Louise
From front of book:

"He lived in their peaceful town. He went to their church. And he was killing their children."

Excellent book!!

Nikki
Intense thriller. I couldn't put it down, but couldn't fall asleep afterwards.
Sue
really interesting book , makes you wonder about people.
Darcy
Darcy marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Jonathan Withrington
Jonathan Withrington marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Leticia Bolanos
Leticia Bolanos marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
william Shirley
william Shirley marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Katrin
Katrin marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2013
Suzie Flohr
Suzie Flohr marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2013
Gail
Gail marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2013
Jamielynmaeramos
Jamielynmaeramos marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2013