Start by marking “101 Great Answers to the Toughest Interview Questions” as Want to Read:
101 Great Answers to the Toughest Interview Questions

101 Great Answers to the Toughest Interview Questions

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  286 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
101 Great Answers to the Toughest Interview Questions, now in its third edition, identifies the all-time toughest interview questions -- and provides proven answers, responses that can turn a sweaty-palmed experience into a successful encounter.
Published January 1st 1995 by Career Press

Be the first to ask a question about 101 Great Answers to the Toughest Interview Questions

Sabrina
May 19, 2012 Sabrina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended to me by a friend of mine while we were talking about internships, job applications, and that sort of general process. I bought it in November but haven’t really had the time to devote to it (I saw some worksheets and figured it was more of a “dedicate-some-time-to-this” book). Today, I decided to finally pick it up and flip through it and BOY am I glad I did.

Whether you’re a recent college graduate, a post-graduate student, or already established in a career, the prosp
Sambasivan
Appears to be a very popular book. Practical advice. Very useful book.
Brandi
May 15, 2015 Brandi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I purchased this book right after graduation with the hopes of one day mastering the toughest interview questions, but at 21 years old, I got bored after the 2nd chapter and placed the book on my shelf to collect dust.

Although I was lucky enough to get a job right out of college with little to no help from this book, that wasn't the case seven years later. After bombing my first interview I immediately ran home and dusted off the cobwebs.

How it worked for me?

"So, tell me about yourself?" Althoug
Amanda
Jan 14, 2010 Amanda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Whatever you do, don't be yourself! Just tell them what they want to hear! Use the word "challenge" in every sentence! Answer every question with meaningless bullshit, and always remember: what's good for the company is good for you! Productivity for all!

There's also a typo in the section on how to discuss your weaknesses. HOW FITTING.
Joy
Jul 11, 2014 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This book really helped me prepare for interviewing. It's organized in a very helpful way that allows you to quickly identify which sorts of questions will most likely apply to you. It also gives examples of "no, no, no!" types of answers in addition to the sorts of things that interviewers want to hear. At the same time, I like the way it emphasizes the humanity of the person who has to do the interview--which is to say that they might be just as worried about making a mistake in hiring as you ...more
Brian
Jan 07, 2015 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I skimmed each question and answer twice the night before an interview and it really helped. The idea isn't to memorize the answers, but rather to have a starting point for answering the questions in your own way when actually on an interview.
Keely
Apr 21, 2015 Keely rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, business
Pretty good tool to get you thinking about the types of questions you will be asked in an interview. It does not give you exactly what to say but what the interviewer wants to hear when they ask a question and what to avoid. This definitely helped me prepare for my interview. Waiting now to see if I got the job and feeling really good about it.
Denise Ratsavong
it was ok. it was somewhat helpful. I think it is outdated slightly. the principles mainly still apply. I still have some unanswered questions about the subject.
Krishna
Apr 26, 2014 Krishna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good books with Great interview questions.
Greg
Dec 19, 2013 Greg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent discussion of many questions I've gotten before in interviews and ones that could very well pop up. It comes from the viewpoint of someone who has interviewed many candidates for jobs. Most of the discussions in the book are geared towards those in sales, marketing, editing, and management type positions. Almost all of it still pertains to those in technical fields, but it has some major holes that you will need to fill in on your own if you're going into engineering, progra ...more
Aug 25, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a nice, short, compendium of the sort of questions likely to come up during a job interview for a higher level, sales-oriented positions. The first chapter, about brainstorming a list of your useful experience and attributes, is more generally applicable, and even provides a bit of an ego boost. The answers that are supplied have a certain artificial, cookie-cutter quality, but the questions in chapters 3, 5, and 8 are common ones so it is helpful to have answers prepared for them, even ...more
Joe
Sep 18, 2015 Joe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best interview guides I have found. Get it/Read it.
Lindsey
May 15, 2015 Lindsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Really good refresher before stepping into an interview.
Adrienna
leisure read 2015
Sara
Jan 17, 2010 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was pretty good; it gives good advice and specific examples of things to say. It's easily adaptable from a business point of view to something useful to a librarian. What I especially liked was that every question posted had an answer section that detailed what the interview wants to hear and how to give them this information. It pointed out many things I had never considered.

I had to tear through this book pretty quickly. ;)
Steven
Nov 09, 2015 Steven rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, american
As someone who interviews many people each week for technical positions, I would not recommend this book. I want to see how people will react to challenges and learn that best from having people go through their previous projects and see how they did react to challenges, not by listening to canned answers.
Melany
Was helpful in getting me prepared for the many interviews I hope to be going on very soon. I had checked this book out from the library, but I am actually thinking of buying it to have as a resource. It was a quick read and had good information.
John Velez
Aug 17, 2012 John Velez rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: career
Most of the contents of this book is generally common sense. It is good for those people that have not actually been on many job interviews. But for those that have been on several interviews, this book is just a refresher!
Manual
Nov 07, 2008 Manual rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Manual by: Renee
Shelves: non-fiction
Too american, doesn't suit the New Zealand interview context. Has some helpful pointers and some good ideas but is too focused on managerial type positions to be useful for those seeking a job outside of commerce.
Paul
Sep 30, 2013 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book if you have a job interview coming up. In that case I figure dedicating some 5 hours or so of time could be well worth it. Otherwise nothing really special.
Tram Nguyen
The book started out very interestingly and made readers want to continue, but his instructions were too general, so there wasn't much practical value.
Mona
Sep 15, 2008 Mona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good overview of questions they really ask you. Get this book before an interview & use it to help you prepare.
Nancy Pe'a
Feb 23, 2010 Nancy Pe'a rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great preparation to understand who you are; how and what to market when selling yourself.
Nicole
Nov 23, 2012 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Informative. No real surprises: common sense advice for interview preparation.
BLACK CAT
Dec 16, 2012 BLACK CAT rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: skills, get-hired
Very useful especially if you don't have much experience with interviews.
Chuck
Jan 19, 2009 Chuck rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Concise common sense. Don't waste your time, it didn't help me!
Justin Schulz
Mar 26, 2012 Justin Schulz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read for anyone trying to stand out in an interview.
Mckinley
Jan 24, 2014 Mckinley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quick review before you go job hunting and on interviews.
Nikolaos
very informative, was a great refresher.
Susanna
The "answers" are a bit generic.
  • The 250 Job Interview Questions: You'll Most Likely Be Asked...and the Answers That Will Get You Hired!
  • Knock 'Em Dead 2016: The Ultimate Job Search Guide
  • 60 Seconds and You're Hired!
  • 100 Ways to Motivate Others: How Great Leaders Can Produce Insane Results Without Driving People Crazy
  • Job Interviews For Dummies
  • Blog: Understanding the Information Reformation That's Changing Your World
  • The Silent Language of Leaders: How Body Language Can Help - Or Hurt - How You Lead
  • Alexander the Great and His Time (Dorset Oress Reprints Series)
  • Natural Selections: Selfish Altruists, Honest Liars, and Other Realities of Evolution
  • The Moral Sense
  • The Why of Work: How Great Leaders Build Abundant Organizations That Win
  • Start Your Own Business: The Only Book You'll Ever Need
  • Getting from College to Career: 90 Things to Do Before You Join the Real World
  • Don't Know Much About the Universe: Everything You Need to Know About Outer Space but Never Learned
  • The Google Resume: How to Prepare for a Career and Land a Job at Apple, Microsoft, Google, or Any Top Tech Company
  • Cleopatra's Nose: Essays on the Unexpected
  • Extraordinary Voyages: Around the World in Eighty Days, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Seas
  • 96 Great Interview Questions to Ask Before You Hire
Ron Fry is Professor of Organizational Behavior at the Weatherhead School of Management, Case Western Reserve University and Chairman of the Department of Organizational Behavior, consistently ranked one of the best in the world by the Financial Times. He has been honored with the University Award for Outstanding Teacher in the Professional Schools and the Weatherhead School's Lifetime Service Awa ...more
More about Ron Fry...