Katie Mullholland

Katie Mullholland

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  508 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Some women are destined to arouse in men either fierce hatred or insatiable desire.Such a woman was Katie Mulholland.

At fifteen, a scullery maid in the house of the Rosiers, she had been raped by the master.Now, many years later, she had enough money to maintain three carriages if whe wanted to and she was on her way to see Bernard Rosier under very different circumstances...more
Published February 1st 1994 by Corgi (first published 1967)

Mar 11, 2012 Laura rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jeannette, Wanda, Hayes, Misfit
Just arrived from UK through BM.

Katie Mulholland is a daughter of a miner who at an age of 15 years old went to work as a scullery maid in the house of the Rosier in order to support her family.

However, his life takes a turn as Bernard Rosier, heir to the Rosier family, charmed by its beauty decided to rape her.

This book chronicles the saga of Katie in a period that begins in 1860 and ends in 1944, with a vivid description of her obsession by Rosier family that intertwines the lives of her fami...more
Sherry
At first I had a little trouble getting into this book - only because I had just finished The Tea Rose and The Winter Rose - which also took place in that late 1800's/early 1900's era.
But once I got a little ways into the book and caught up in the characters then I couldn't put it down and hated to see it end...
I definitely will read another Catherine Cookson book!!!!!!!!!
Sheila Kazmierczak
I have read this book at least 3 times and it brings me to tears in the same places each time. The late Catherine Cookson is still high among my favorite authors. Katie Muholland's story represents nearly a hundred years of social and economic change in the pattern of English life, set in the harsh life of mid-Victorian Tyneside and the shipyards.
Elodie
My favorite book of all time. I have a green leather bound autographed copy and have read it many times over the years. She never disappoints. It may be rags to riches but many twists along the way will keep you enthralled.
Judith Wrinkle
My very first book by Cookson and she made me a fan. I love her way of making History come alive and she has an excellent relationship with her characters. This was a great book.
Emma
I love Catherine cookson, she is a master storyteller.

This story weaves the spellbinding tale of beautiful Katie Mulholland, who began life as the daughter of a miner. The life of a miner in class conscious, mid-nineteenth century England was fraught with poverty, and Katie was forced to go into service at a tender age in order to help her family. Her story begins in 1860 which, at the age of fifteen, finds her working long, hard hours in a manor house, as a scullery maid for the Rosier family,...more
Tina
One of my favourite books by CC.
Fran Paton
Loved it. lots of catherine cookson books i've not read. i did feel that the end could have finished earlier than it did and was a touch predictable.
Annette
I loved this story of Katie. It was a difficult book to sit down. I wish Andy could have stayed in her life longer.
At the very end I really thought Daniel was going to be killed off and I thought Peter would be killed off so Bridget could be with Daniel...though she is going to be with Daniel no matter what, even if Peter is alive and comes home. --Katie will never see that, but she had a long life.
Lili
I read all of Catherine Cookson's books some years ago and enjoyed them immensley. I recently re-read all of them and find that on a second look I found them all so very predictable, and was rather disappointed. However I'm sure that it is my tastes that have changed not the calibre of her story telling.
Susan
As in most of Cookson's books she writes with strong female characters overcoming some miserable circumstance or misfortune. I also love the English accents given her characters. If you like books set in old England and well developed characters, you will enjoy books by Catherine Cookson!
Lisa Metcalfe
This may not be adult fiction, but as it's linked to my home time it was a 'must read'. An excellent nautical tale with an excellent, but sad ending.
Yolanda
Realistic description of life in 19th century Northumberland. Another of Catherine's stories of character and survival in trying circumstances.
Caroline
I had to read this as we share the same maiden name! Typical Catherine Cookson, poor mistreated girl truimphs in the end. A good read.
Jody
love love loved this book, it's an awesome epic and totally turned me on to this writer~!
Candi
this was my favorite because it was the first one I read by her when I was thirteen
Joan Hill
as with all Catherine Cookson books i love most of them read this a few years ago
Margaret
Great story spanning five generations; heartbreakingly tragic but a satisfying ending.
Lynne Mari
The first Catherine Cookson book I read many years ago. Loved it.
Nicola Terry
I enjoyed this one and would recommend it
Maggie Atkinson
Oct 19, 2012 Maggie Atkinson marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ms-cookson

Marvellous ms Cookson at her best
Cheryl Nation
I totaly enjoyed reading this book.
☯Bettie☯
Mary
Mary added it
Jul 06, 2014
  • Netherwood
  • The Nightingale Girls
  • Foxfire
  • In the High Valley (Carr Family, #5)
  • The King's Secret Matter (Tudor Saga, #4)
  • Hope
  • Tanamera (Coronet Books)
  • Give Us This Day (Swann Saga, #3)
  • Flambards (Flambards, #1)
  • The Falcons Of Montabard
  • A Garland for Girls
  • Demelza (Poldark, #2)
  • The Princeling (Morland Dynasty, #3)
  • The Tontine
  • Duchess of Sin (The Daughters of Erin, #2)
  • Edmund Bertram's Diary (Jane Austen Heroes, #4)
  • Chocolate Girls
  • Search of the Moon King's Daughter
Catherine Cookson was born in Tyne Dock, the illegitimate daughter of a poverty-stricken woman, Kate, whom she believed to be her older sister. She began work in service but eventually moved south to Hastings, where she met and married Tom Cookson, a local grammar-school master. Although she was originally acclaimed as a regional writer - her novel The Round Tower won the Winifred Holtby Award for...more
More about Catherine Cookson...
Dwelling Place Tilly Trotter The Mallen Streak The Glass Virgin The Black Velvet Gown