Start by marking “Katie Mulholland” as Want to Read:
Katie Mulholland

Katie Mulholland

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  642 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Some wonen are destined to arouse in men either fierce hatred or insatiable desire. Such a woman was Katie Mulholland.

At fifteen, a scullery maid in the house of the Rosires, she had been raped by the master. Now, many years later, she had enough money to maintain three carriages if she wanted to and she was on her way to see Bernard Rosier under very different circumstanc
Published July 1st 1993 by Corgi (first published 1967)

Mar 11, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jeannette, Wanda, Hayes, Misfit
Just arrived from UK through BM.

Katie Mulholland is a daughter of a miner who at an age of 15 years old went to work as a scullery maid in the house of the Rosier in order to support her family.

However, his life takes a turn as Bernard Rosier, heir to the Rosier family, charmed by its beauty decided to rape her.

This book chronicles the saga of Katie in a period that begins in 1860 and ends in 1944, with a vivid description of her obsession by Rosier family that intertwines the lives of her fami
Elodie
Feb 07, 2010 Elodie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite book of all time. I have a green leather bound autographed copy and have read it many times over the years. She never disappoints. It may be rags to riches but many twists along the way will keep you enthralled.
Sheila Kazmierczak
I have read this book at least 3 times and it brings me to tears in the same places each time. The late Catherine Cookson is still high among my favorite authors. Katie Muholland's story represents nearly a hundred years of social and economic change in the pattern of English life, set in the harsh life of mid-Victorian Tyneside and the shipyards.
Judith Wrinkle
Sep 19, 2010 Judith Wrinkle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My very first book by Cookson and she made me a fan. I love her way of making History come alive and she has an excellent relationship with her characters. This was a great book.
Emma
Jun 12, 2010 Emma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Catherine cookson, she is a master storyteller.

This story weaves the spellbinding tale of beautiful Katie Mulholland, who began life as the daughter of a miner. The life of a miner in class conscious, mid-nineteenth century England was fraught with poverty, and Katie was forced to go into service at a tender age in order to help her family. Her story begins in 1860 which, at the age of fifteen, finds her working long, hard hours in a manor house, as a scullery maid for the Rosier family,
Sherry
Apr 21, 2011 Sherry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At first I had a little trouble getting into this book - only because I had just finished The Tea Rose and The Winter Rose - which also took place in that late 1800's/early 1900's era.
But once I got a little ways into the book and caught up in the characters then I couldn't put it down and hated to see it end...
I definitely will read another Catherine Cookson book!!!!!!!!!
Michelle
Mar 17, 2015 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this at the recommendation of a friend who loves it. She loaned me her copy to read and so I dove in, even though I wasn't sure what to expect.
The story follows the life of Katie Mulholland. From her young years working as a scullery maid, to her final days having finally made her mark on the world. But in between there are lifetimes lived by this girl. Events unfold that leave their mark on her soul. Dark and horrible things and bright and warm moments. Without going into much detail, I
Jody
Sep 20, 2010 Jody rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
love love loved this book, it's an awesome epic and totally turned me on to this writer~!
Elizabeth
I love reading about the British: royalty, nobility and the class system, and the injustices that lead to the establishment of our justice system through trial and error. My tastes have changed but I remember fondly reading any book written by Cookson.
Helen
Excellent read. Very descriptive of the Arctic environment and the hardships of those who ventured there.
Cherrie Platon
Dec 01, 2014 Cherrie Platon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
KM joins my list of strong women like Mary Sutter, Grace Marks and Agnes Magnusdottir. Catherine Cookson is a master storyteller of family sagas.
Tina
Mar 23, 2014 Tina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favourite books by CC.
Wednie Sylvestre
Fran Paton
May 15, 2014 Fran Paton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. lots of catherine cookson books i've not read. i did feel that the end could have finished earlier than it did and was a touch predictable.
Annette
Mar 03, 2013 Annette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this story of Katie. It was a difficult book to sit down. I wish Andy could have stayed in her life longer.
At the very end I really thought Daniel was going to be killed off and I thought Peter would be killed off so Bridget could be with Daniel...though she is going to be with Daniel no matter what, even if Peter is alive and comes home. --Katie will never see that, but she had a long life.
Lili
I read all of Catherine Cookson's books some years ago and enjoyed them immensley. I recently re-read all of them and find that on a second look I found them all so very predictable, and was rather disappointed. However I'm sure that it is my tastes that have changed not the calibre of her story telling.
Susan
Jun 22, 2010 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As in most of Cookson's books she writes with strong female characters overcoming some miserable circumstance or misfortune. I also love the English accents given her characters. If you like books set in old England and well developed characters, you will enjoy books by Catherine Cookson!
Lisa Metcalfe
This may not be adult fiction, but as it's linked to my home time it was a 'must read'. An excellent nautical tale with an excellent, but sad ending.
Yolanda
Realistic description of life in 19th century Northumberland. Another of Catherine's stories of character and survival in trying circumstances.
Caroline
Feb 12, 2014 Caroline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had to read this as we share the same maiden name! Typical Catherine Cookson, poor mistreated girl truimphs in the end. A good read.
Candi
Mar 11, 2010 Candi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this was my favorite because it was the first one I read by her when I was thirteen
Joan Hill
Jul 10, 2013 Joan Hill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
as with all Catherine Cookson books i love most of them read this a few years ago
Margaret
Dec 04, 2007 Margaret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story spanning five generations; heartbreakingly tragic but a satisfying ending.
Lynne Mari
May 31, 2010 Lynne Mari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first Catherine Cookson book I read many years ago. Loved it.
Nicola Terry
I enjoyed this one and would recommend it
Maggie Atkinson
Oct 19, 2012 Maggie Atkinson marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ms-cookson

Marvellous ms Cookson at her best
Cheryl Nation
Sep 08, 2011 Cheryl Nation rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I totaly enjoyed reading this book.
Bettie☯
Penny Beverly
Penny Beverly rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Wendy Gibbs
Wendy Gibbs rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2016
  • Mermaids Singing
  • Miss You Forever
  • Netherwood
  • Give Us This Day (Swann Saga, #3)
  • What Happened to the Corbetts
  • Water Gypsies
  • Esther
  • Jesus the Man: Decoding the Real Story of Jesus and Mary Magdalene
  • The Curry Secret
  • The Golden Book of Faerie (The Chronicles of Faerie, #1-4)
  • In the High Valley (Carr Family, #5)
  • Spitfire Girl
  • Flambards (Flambards, #1)
  • Liverpool Annie
Catherine Cookson was born in Tyne Dock, the illegitimate daughter of a poverty-stricken woman, Kate, who Catherine believed was her older sister. Catherine began work in service but eventually moved south to Hastings, where she met and married Tom Cookson, a local grammar-school master.

Although she was originally acclaimed as a regional writer - her novel The Round Tower won the Winifred Holtby
More about Catherine Cookson...