Start by marking “The Haldeman Diaries” as Want to Read:
The Haldeman Diaries

The Haldeman Diaries

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  9 reviews
When H.R. Haldeman died, he left behind a chronicle of the four years he was Chief of Staff for President Nixon. His diaries offer a fascinating portrait of the major events of this era, including the Cambodia bombings, the Kent State killings, the fall of Spiro Agnew, the Watergate scandal and new insights on Richard Nixon. 8-page photo insert.
Published May 1st 1995 by Berkley (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Haldeman Diaries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Haldeman Diaries

TrumanCoyote
The only real drawback--and it is unfortunately a LARGE one--is that the book contains a very sketchy list of players at the start. I mean, I've read a fair amount about this stuff, and I was getting frequently lost. Your only hope was to look up the name in the index, turn to the first appearance and hope that the individual's identity was provided in italics; this proved to be rather a forlorn hope much of the time. The oral history of Nixon's White House was much better in this regard. Also j ...more
Charles
This book taught me more about politics than any other. Haldeman was Nixon's Chief of Staff. In his thorough and painfully honest diaries, he set down an insider's account of the White House.

The cynicism behind the rherotic, the realpolitik behind the politics, the infighting within the administration, the personalities behind the personae: it's all here in living color.

It's odd how jarring and revelatory a small dose of candor can be in the world politics.

These diaries were clearly never meant
James
With the 2012 election fast approaching, I have been reading material that gives behind the scenes insight into politics at the Executive level. This book written by the Chief of Staff for the Nixon administration seemed like it would be an enjoyable read, but it wasn't. As stated in the title, it is the "diaries" of the author. At many times it contains fragmented thoughts and introspections that lack details. I got through 226 pages before I decided that this book's best purpose is for the sak ...more
John
You almost feel sorry for Halderman. It appears Nixon used H's hardass persona for his own good.
Marc
Who can read this stuff? Daily diaries of "The Brush" an obsessive control freak in the Nixon White House. Hard-core holier than thou righty. You can use these diary entries to deconstruct the Nixon intrique, if you trust that he didn't doctor them before publication. I don't. He kept his mouth shut until the grave.
Ira
Jun 28, 2007 Ira rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Hunter Thompson
Inisder's account on Nixon's time in office from his Chief of Staff. Haldeman kept a diary for every day he served the President, including the days history will remember the most. Nothing about Watergate was edited out apparently.
Greg
Seemed pretty boring to me, unless you're really interested in this era and topic.
Jim Golden
Interesting Diary of Hadelman's entire time as RMN's Chief of Staff!
Vikki
Dec 31, 2009 Vikki added it
Too much detail to read. Didn't finish.
Jeff Phillips
Jeff Phillips marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Kit Langille
Kit Langille marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Steven Tottenhoff
Steven Tottenhoff marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Matt
Matt is currently reading it
Jul 23, 2015
Carol Talbert
Carol Talbert marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Daniel Anderson
Daniel Anderson marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Bryan
Bryan added it
Jul 02, 2015
Michael Burns
Michael Burns marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
  • Richard M. Nixon: A Life in Full
  • Write it When I'm Gone
  • President Reagan: The Role of a Lifetime
  • A World Transformed
  • Poisoning the Press: Richard Nixon, Jack Anderson, and the Rise of Washington's Scandal Culture
  • Watergate: The Corruption of American Politics and the Fall of Richard Nixon
  • Nixon and Kissinger: Partners in Power
  • Gentleman Boss: The Life of Chester Alan Arthur (Signature)
  • Thomas Jefferson (The American Presidents, #3)
The Ends of Power