Start by marking “Close to Spider Man” as Want to Read:
Close to Spider Man

Close to Spider Man

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  331 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
"Close to Spider Man" marks the debut of an exciting new literary talent: a collection of connected stories whose female narrators seek out lives for themselves amidst the lonely, breathtaking landscape of the Yukon. The young women in Ivan Coyote's deeply personal stories are looking to make a break from their circumstances, but the North is in their bones: so is their co ...more
Published July 1st 2002 by Arsenal Pulp Press (first published October 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Close to Spider Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Close to Spider Man

Maciek
Ivan E. Coyote is a Canadian author and activist born and raised in the town of Whitehorse, in the northern Canadian territory of Yukon. Close to Spider Man is Coyote's first collection of stories, but those who experience stories of remote hardship, logging and fishing are in for a big surprise, as all of them feature characters who are experimenting with sexuality and trying to find their own, which is not always easy when you're living at the ends of the earth.

The stories themselves are very,
Cheyenne Blue
Jun 27, 2014 Cheyenne Blue rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories, glbtq
Brilliant! Teeny-tiny stories with a loose coming-of-age theme, set in the Yukon Territory. These short short stories (most are only a few pages) are clearly and bluntly written. The bleak setting of the Yukon is a wonderful backdrop to these stories of girls and gender and love and childhood and adolescence.

Standouts for me were "No Bikini" in which the small girl narrator joins the boys in swimming class, leaving her bikini top behind, and "Red Sock Circle Dance" in which the narrator pledges
Carolyn
Jul 14, 2016 Carolyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Close to Spiderman by Ivan E. Coyote is a book of short stories by a talented Yukon (Canadian) author. Loving the poignant, honest, down-to-earth memories of childhood and gender identity from our national treasure. There were stories that stand out as fantastic, and others that were good. I really don't care for the cover art; it could use an update for a new edition (if they print a new edition). This was my first time delving into Coyote's work and I can't wait to taste their other works.
Nov 20, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
An excellent collection of short stories, rendered with feeling and a lovely writing style.
Zoom
Mar 27, 2015 Zoom rated it really liked it
This is one of Ivan's earlier books, but I just got around to reading it now. This slim little volume of short pieces isn't my favourite book of Ivan's, but it's still very good. I loved finding out how Frances came into Ivan's life. I've always wondered what the original connection was, and what kind of serendipitous fortune brought them together. By my calculations, Frances would be about 20 now. (This book reflects all the way back to Frances at three.)
Highlyeccentric
Jan 16, 2016 Highlyeccentric rated it really liked it
Now this, I really enjoyed. It had two of my most favouritest things: a strong sense of place, and queers.

The only reason I didn't give it five stars was that I found myself *irritated* by the fact that it's short story collection, memoir, and novel all at once. The use of first person means that few of the stories have a named protag, although in all of them she's a gender-nonconforming AFAB person. In one she's named Ivan. It seems logical to read them all as the same person, but in that case
Erin  Cisewski
Jun 16, 2015 Erin Cisewski rated it it was amazing
It's been so long since I've laughed out loud reading something. Heartwarming, heartbreaking, and hilarious.
Mirrordance
Alcuni racconti sono anche nella raccolta "one in every cloud" che appare piu' di impatto.
Rae
It is a good collection of short stories. I enjoyed this book.
Ozlem
Jun 17, 2014 Ozlem rated it liked it
Very easy to read. Some of the stories are heart warming.
Pam P
Feb 06, 2010 Pam P rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keep
A beautiful book, affirming and heart warming. Especially good for the young,or those of us who are not strangled by the binary. I read it every year and have for the past 4 I think. I am getting a new set from the author's publishers. My first copy was a discard from the Oakland Library, and I have to say it was a terrible decision that they made. If I had read this book as a teen enduring alienation from the world, so much of my life would have been understandable,bearable. Grace that I surviv ...more
Rebs
Aug 28, 2015 Rebs rated it it was amazing
Coyote could write ad copy for long underwear and I will still love it.
Stephanie
Apr 18, 2015 Stephanie rated it really liked it
I have never read anything that Ivan E. Coyote wrote that I did not like. This book has been on my list to read for a while now and it did not disappoint. There is something about each story that I can relate to in some way. A kid getting into trouble, that first kiss, discovering who you are and everything in between.
Emmkay
Slim, simply written collection of coming-of-age short stories set in theYukon, which I presume are fairly autobiographical. It felt like a first book but had a neat sensibility. I had my usual hard time connecting with short stories.
Edie
Jul 14, 2011 Edie rated it really liked it
I have three books going at the moment. o_O But this is short stories, so it easy to pick up when I only have a couple of spare minutes for reading.
But the short stories are packing a punch, I am really enjoying this.
Abby
May 16, 2012 Abby rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy Ivan's voice. Close to Spider Man explores experiences of gender and sexuality while they are young and does so both beautifully and simply.
Vanessa
Feb 05, 2012 Vanessa rated it really liked it
A very heartfelt bunch of stories about growing up knowing that you just don't fit in. An excellent read for oddballs everywhere.
Faisal Almoaiqel
Jul 23, 2012 Faisal Almoaiqel rated it liked it
short stories
first book i've read in english :)
i like it :)
Piepie
Jul 03, 2012 Piepie rated it really liked it
Coyote is a deft writer. Each story a perfectly framed snapshot.
Cheryl Mccormick
Jul 30, 2011 Cheryl Mccormick rated it it was amazing
First one I read of hers
May 15, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer
Jodi
Sep 13, 2007 Jodi rated it it was amazing
short stories!
Nute
Nute marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Jaclyn
Jaclyn marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Jerri Martin
Jerri Martin marked it as to-read
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Travis
Travis marked it as to-read
Naomi
Naomi marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Veronica Nagorny
Veronica Nagorny marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
  • Godspeed
  • Holding Still For As Long As Possible
  • Transgender Rights
  • True Lies: The Book Of Bad Advice
  • First Person Queer: Who We Are (So Far)
  • Brazen Femme: Queering Femininity
  • S/He
  • God Loves Hair
  • The Creamsickle
  • Invisible Lives: The Erasure of Transsexual and Transgendered People
Ivan Coyote was born and raised in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory. An award-winning author of six collections of short stories, one novel, three CD’s, four short films and a renowned performer, Ivan’s first love is live storytelling, and over the last thirteen years they have become an audience favourite at music, poetry, spoken word and writer’s festivals from Anchorage to Amsterdam.
More about Ivan E. Coyote...