A Slaying In Savannah (Murder, She Wrote, #30)

A Slaying In Savannah (Murder, She Wrote #30)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  279 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Jessica Fletcher digs up a home-grown murder mystery down South in this brand-new installment in the USA Today bestselling series.

Jessica is saddened when her eccentric old friend Tillie Mortelaine passes away—and surprised to learn that Tillie has left her a million dollars. But there are strings attached. Jessica must use the money to help the literacy fund she and Till...more
Published September 30th 2008 by NAL Hardcover (first published August 26th 2008)

Adam
Post Listen Review: Well this is pretty much what I expected it would be. It was a little disappointing that Angela Landsbury wasn't the narrator of course but it was pretty much just like an episode of Murder She Wrote. Little old lady writer is wrapped up in a surprising situation in which she has to solve a murder. She does because everyone underestimates her abilities. Oddly enough this reminded me a lot of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. So for my review I am going to show the similarites...more
Lauren
I think i've seen every episode of Murder, She Wrote since it started. A family past time, if you will. This book was... not as good as the show. But had that charm, that... Fletcher corneyness that i was raised to know and love. That being said, if i hadn't been raised on Murder, She Wrote, I probably would have not liked it as much. But isn't that the whole point of this series? To experience good ole J.B. once more for the first time? Definitely.
Jamie Fessenden
A fun, old-fashioned murder mystery with a wonderful sense of southern atmosphere. I always enjoy the books in this series, more than the television series they're based on, and this one is one of the best I've read so far.

Jessica Fletcher gets called to Savannah, Georgia to the reading of the will of her old friend, Tillie Mortelaine, and discovers that one of the provisions in the will is that a literacy program in Savannah will receive a million dollars...if Jessica can solve the murder of T...more
Samantha
I guess I should start by saying that this was my aunt's selection for our book club this month. I have never watched an episode of Murder, She Wrote. Don't get me wrong, I know who the character is, but I was born in '86 so I wasn't exactly the target audience when the show was on-air (I'm more familiar with Lansbury as Mrs. Potts in Beauty and the Beast, lol). ;D

The premise of the story starts out simple enough: Jessica has to go to Savannah because a good acquaintance, Tillie, has recently di...more
Mom
Jessica is saddened when her eccentric old friend Tillie Mortelaine passes away�and surprised to learn that Tillie has left her a million dollars. But there are strings attached. Jessica must use the money to help the literacy fund she and Tillie established years ago in Savannah, Georgia. And she will receive the money only if she can solve a mystery within the month: the murder of Tillie�s fiancé, Wanamaker Jones.

As Jessica settles into Tillie�s Savannah mansion and meets Tillie�s boarders, sh...more
Lisa
In this novel, Jessica finds herself in Savannah, GA trying to solve a 40-year-old murder that not even the police could solve.

Jessica's friend, Tillie Mortelaine, has passed away. In her will she has left 1 million dollars to the literacy foundation that Jessica and Tillie organized many years ago. However, there is one stipulation to the money being given. Jessica must discover who killed Tillie's fiance. Jessica finds herself surrounded by strange characters, including those of the otherworld...more
Linda Cannon
A charming story of the old south. Miss Tilly was a lady with a mystery. Jessica is a lovely and gracious lady. I love her character. I was able to figure out "who done it"
Alison
A slow starter and not as fun as other books in the series. I think the 40-year-old crime and distinctly elderly cast of characters created a lack of immediacy.
Cynthia Collins
A Slaying in Savannah was just as much ghost story as murder mystery. In my opinion, the ghost story element, set in a historic Savannah home, made this book stand out from the other Murder, She Wrote books. Jessica's ability to solve a crime is part of an eccentric old woman's will. If she solves it, a particular charity both women worked on will receive a lot of money. The living relatives though are hoping she'll fail since they are eyeing the deceased woman's fortune for themselves. Jessica...more
JayeL
Apr 20, 2009 JayeL rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who need a little mind candy and enjoy a mystery
Recommended to JayeL by: the public library!!!
Shelves: 2009
I picked this up at the Library while I was waiting for someone to pick out books. This was total mind candy, which I need sometimes. It is not a book I would read again, but I was happy to read the Library's copy once. The good thing about this book is that I knew some of the characters from the TV show, which meant that it was a quick start and not a lot of confusion from coming into the middle of the series with no preparation.

I didn't feel like the author gave the reader all of the informati...more
R.
I love the TV show. I know this book series is not high literature, but within the confines of the Murder, She Wrote, series, this is one of my favorites. There's some good banter between Jessica, Seth, and Mort, and there was a lot of architectural and historical detail about Savannah (and the modern St. Patrick's Day celebration). The mystery isn't extremely complex, and most of Jessica's time is spent exploring the house (excellently Southern gothic), talking to ghost-hunters, and eating a lo...more
Clarke
A captivating murder mystery set in the historic and unique city of Savannah, Georgia. Donald Bain does a great job creating suspense and complex characters that keep the book interesting throughout - I never felt like reading this book was a chore. Good book for a rainy day when you feel like reading something that is not too taxing on your brain but enjoyable enough to keep you entertained. I found it to be even more enjoyable than the TV show it is based on.
Michelle
This book was alright, but nothing fantastic. She goes to Georgia to solve a 40 year old murder. She doesn't bring her 'famous' bicycle, so she depends on the maids daughter and cabs to take her everywhere. Then, when she actually does decide to walk while investigating, she falls down.

I got this at one of my citys Fall Festivals, and it was dirt cheap. Now I know why, lol.
PWRL
Jan 23, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2014-new
O
chrisa
This was an audio book we listened to in the car on the way back from KY. I enjoyed the narrator, she was quite talented and did a good job, especially with such a distinctive voice as 'Jessica Fletcher's'.

The mystery was interesting and provided a memorable view of southern life for women in the '50's.
Always an easy fun read. Bought in Savannah at "The Book" bookstore while on vacation. The gal working there told me about her ghost encounter (that was mentioned in this book). She was thanked in the preface, so how could I not buy it and have her sign it?? :)
Rebecca
I always enjoy the Murder She Wrote series.. as I loved the show as a kid.. this is not at the top of my list of favorites in this series ..it moved a little slow at times and some things for me were a tad far fetched..but still a good lazy afternoon read
Nicolas
This series is literary comfort food for me. They tend to follow a pretty standard formula, which is fine because it is one that I love. However it is nice when they occasionly go down a different path, like this one did. It was very enjoyable.
Jamie4
The third of the three MSW books I'd splurged on in the hopes of finding a new series to attach myself to. I'd managed to slog through the first two. Upon reading the first half chapter I realized I had better things to do than muck trough a third.
Sara
I always liked these stories. However, this one was not my favorite b/c I figured out who did it a little too soon into the book. Although I loved the reasons/story behind the murder. Can't wait for the next one to test my detective skills.
Laurel
Jessica Fletcher inherits a million dollars, but only if she donates it to a literary charity and solves the crime with a delightful twist. She learns much about Savannah's St. Patrick's Day celebration that is second only to New York's.
Herb
Nov 25, 2008 Herb rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All lovers of fun mysteries
Recommended to Herb by: I read them all
Well, she got me again. Once more, I didn't see the denouement coming. I did, however, expect a second murder, since the one Jessica was investigating was 40 years old!
Clever plotting, very easy read, great way to pass the time. Enjoy!
Beverly
I always enjoy this series. I don't always figure out who did it before it ends, but even when I do, the writing is always well done. And since I love the TV series, I can always picture and hear Angela Landsberry when I read the books.
Gina
It was, as my two star rating indicates, "okay." That having been said, it's one of the better books in this particular series. If you go in without high expectations, you'll find it to be a decent fun read.
Natalia
Excellent read, lived up to the awesome "Murder, She Wrote" television series. I learned alot about Savannah from this book and truly enjoyed the characters, as well as the overall pace of this book.
Andrea
the story line of this book was a little far fetched; Jessica is asked to Savannah to solve a forty year old murder. That said, it was an interesting story and I always love Jessica's novels!
Danielle O
I really enjoyed this book! This is the first Jessica Fletcher book I have read, but I remember watching the TV show when I was little. It was fast, light, and delightful!
Joyce Servidio
Light mystery as expected with a Jessica Fletcher book. I read this while on vacation in Savannah. It was fun to read about streets I actually walked.
Colleen
I liked this book, however not as much as the other ones from this series. It was nice to read about Savannah, as I have been there before.
Dianne
felt like i was watching a movie even used characters own voice while reading, like seth, sheriff and jessica fletcher.
well done.
The Women's Myste...: #29 A Slaying in Savannah 1 3 Aug 10, 2013 12:12AM
  • High Heels are Murder (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #2)
  • Death Swatch (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #6)
  • A Novel Way to Die (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #2)
  • File M for Murder (Cat in the Stacks, #3)
  • Pages of Sin (A Bibliophile Mystery, #4.5)
  • Dead Days of Summer (Death on Demand, #17)
  • Shear Murder (Bad Hair Day Mystery, #10)
  • A Pizza To Die For (Pizza Lovers, #3)
  • A Vintage Murder (A Wine Lover's Mystery, #4)
  • Darling Dahlias and the Confederate Rose (Darling Dahlias #3)
  • The Walled Flower (Victoria Square, #2)
Jessica Fletcher (born Jessica Beatrice MacGill, and writes under the initialed J.B. Fletcher) is a fictional character from the US television series Murder, She Wrote.

In keeping with the spirit of the TV show, a series of official original novels have been written by American ghostwriter Donald Bain and published by the New American Library. The author credit for the novels is shared with the fic...more
More about Jessica Fletcher...
Gin & Daggers (Murder, She Wrote, #1) Manhattans & Murder (Murder, She Wrote, #2) A Yuletide Murder (Murder, She Wrote, #11) Rum & Razors (Murder, She Wrote, #3) Trick or Treachery (Murder, She Wrote, #14)