Access All Areas: A User's Guide to the Art of Urban Exploration

Access All Areas: A User's Guide to the Art of Urban Exploration

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  16 reviews

Discover a hidden world in your own city!

From Ninjalicious, the author of Infiltration zine, comes Access All Areas, the the first published guide to the exciting art of urban exploration, a rapidly growing hobby that allows participants to personally experience their cities’ hidden and off-limits spaces. Through chapters on topics like sneaking around, equipping and trai

Published November 20th 2005 by Coach House Press (first published October 15th 2005)

Hackers by Steven LevyGhost in the Wires by Kevin D. MitnickFree as in Freedom by Sam WilliamsIn the Beginning...Was the Command Line by Neal StephensonMasters of Doom by David Kushner
Hackers Gonna Hack
9th out of 15 books — 10 voters
Steve Jobs by Walter IsaacsonHackers by Steven LevyGhost in the Wires by Kevin D. MitnickThe Cuckoo's Egg by Clifford StolliWoz by Steve Wozniak
Silicon Valley
180th out of 195 books — 202 voters

More lists with this book...

Daniel Nurgitz
Ninjalicious certainly was thorough in this guide to Urban Exploration. A definite read whether you are an armchair explorer or risk the dirty and dangerous real world of urban exploration. His humorous comments peppered throughout made it light and easy to read. I also enjoyed learning about some of the secrets that lie beneath the great city of Toronto. One other thing that I admire Ninjalicious for was his commitment to exploring without causing damage..."take only pictures, leave only footpr...more
Kathleen
True Confessions time: I have spent countless hours on the internet reading about the exploits of intrepid urban explorers. I am thrilled by accounts of midnight forays into the off-limits areas of the Catacombs of Paris, into abandoned subway lines and stations of New York, Paris and London, into crumbling mental hospitals in Los Angeles, into defunct missile silos in New Mexico, and even up into the cables of well-known suspension bridges. I may never have the opportunity or the nerve to engag...more
Dustin
I've never gone on an expedition to an abandoned urban site myself, but I've loved reading about the exploits and seeing the fantastic photos of people who do. This book is exactly what it says on the tin: a guide to the art of Urban Exploration. It has useful tips for identifying dangers and staying safe, as well as a few personal accounts that make for great reading. I enjoyed this book and thought that also had some good material to inspire writing and gaming.
Neo
This was pretty well written with a good dose of humor. Some of the guidance seemed pretty helpful, and some not so. More importantly, I got a good sense of what sorts of urban exploration I could comfortably try. I also a got sense of what is generally involved and see that I probably don't have the time in my life to get a whole lot of practice or experience at it. I enjoyed reading the book just the same.
oriana
May 02, 2013 oriana marked it as to-read
Shelves: to-read-soon
The seminal urban-exploration text, apparently. Spawned the whole genre maybe? including this one, which I really want to read, and this one, which I just proofread.
Andrej Nechaj
Great! Really made me want to do some fun exploring around Brno again. I loved Ninj's black humor and all the spy and ninja references. I enjoyed it and laughed a lot but first of all, the tips and advices contained in the book are really useful. I am just really sorry that he passed away so young. :(
Scuppers
A first-hand account of urban exploration. The first night after I read this, I had a dream that I was recruited as an urban explorer, and had to go check out the city from a van. I think some grappling hooks were involved.
Alex
Mar 12, 2013 Alex marked it as to-read
This stuff fascinates me. There's a cool article about it here that cites this book as the Bible of urban hackers.
Andrew
Fun read about urban exploration. Casual writing for a casual subject, the author is listed as "Ninjalicious," so if you accept that the author wrote this book for fun you'll enjoy it.
P.S.
brilliant brilliant brilliiiaaaannt. author died recently. how to of urban high adventure. some of it's common sense to the curious. so much more dangerous post 9/11.
Katherine
I'm definitely writing a review of this (mostly liked it) but need to read through some issues of Infiltration zine to put it in better context. Stay tuned...
Jeremy
The father of contemporary urban exploration, Ninjalicious (RIP) shares his experiences and expertise through humour and wit.
Matt Skeels
A lot of information for newbies and the uneducated. A few nuggets of interest here and there. The best stuff is the stories.
Rachel Rillo
learned so much from this book and am already putting my new skill set to good use! i loved the tongue in cheek style as well!
Jessica
I love this book. I am excited about this book. I probably like this book far, far too well for my roommate's peace of mind.
Mick
deeply satisfying to the life-long trespasser in me.
Scumbugg
Scumbugg marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Amol Chalisgaonkar
Amol Chalisgaonkar marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Mistelle Abdelmagied
Mistelle Abdelmagied marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Jason Morse
Jason Morse marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Jenna
Jenna added it
Apr 01, 2014
Casper Holmgreen
Casper Holmgreen marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Mike Mehalek
Mike Mehalek is currently reading it
Mar 11, 2014
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Graeme