Start by marking “Access All Areas: A User's Guide to the Art of Urban Exploration” as Want to Read:
Access All Areas: A User's Guide to the Art of Urban Exploration

Access All Areas: A User's Guide to the Art of Urban Exploration

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  168 ratings  ·  20 reviews

Discover a hidden world in your own city!

From Ninjalicious, the author of Infiltration zine, comes Access All Areas, the the first published guide to the exciting art of urban exploration, a rapidly growing hobby that allows participants to personally experience their cities’ hidden and off-limits spaces. Through chapters on topics like sneaking around, equipping and trai

Published November 20th 2005 by Coach House Press (first published October 15th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Access All Areas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Access All Areas

Betterthanfiction
Ninjalicious, founder of Infiltration.org and master urban explorer, came out with the wicked useful guide to visiting hidden and off-limit places. Sadly, he died weeks after the book was published. However, his immensely useful collection of tips on getting in and out of spaces is available to one and all. Urban exploration in the hobby/art of visiting ruined buildings, construction sites and off-limit areas of "live" buildings. The purpose of these trips are to visit and appreciate sites often ...more
pG Ra
This book was not just the most pracitally informative read of 2014, but also a huge moral and philosophical influence on my usual blend of mischief and righteousness. In other words, "I get where this guy is coming from," and I find it hard to blame him for the pure and visceral passion he had for urban beauty.

OK, seriously here, this book is not just a guide to urban exploration, it is also a treatise in moral empowerment and respect for urban structure, a call to living a life of wonder and j
Daniel Nurgitz
Ninjalicious certainly was thorough in this guide to Urban Exploration. A definite read whether you are an armchair explorer or risk the dirty and dangerous real world of urban exploration. His humorous comments peppered throughout made it light and easy to read. I also enjoyed learning about some of the secrets that lie beneath the great city of Toronto. One other thing that I admire Ninjalicious for was his commitment to exploring without causing damage..."take only pictures, leave only footpr ...more
Kathleen
True Confessions time: I have spent countless hours on the internet reading about the exploits of intrepid urban explorers. I am thrilled by accounts of midnight forays into the off-limits areas of the Catacombs of Paris, into abandoned subway lines and stations of New York, Paris and London, into crumbling mental hospitals in Los Angeles, into defunct missile silos in New Mexico, and even up into the cables of well-known suspension bridges. I may never have the opportunity or the nerve to engag ...more
Lloyd
A very basic primer, suitable to loan to the uninitiated before they tag along with you, or to friends a bit lacking in common sense (although I recommend never taking anyone along from the latter group until you're SURE they've matured enough to not be a liability). For the more experienced, many chapters may be a bit too obvious to hold your attention.

Cool pictures and descriptions of explored sites are sprinkled throughout the text. As others have said, this book is thoroughly compiled and wr
Diva
May 13, 2014 Diva added it
simple
Dustin
I've never gone on an expedition to an abandoned urban site myself, but I've loved reading about the exploits and seeing the fantastic photos of people who do. This book is exactly what it says on the tin: a guide to the art of Urban Exploration. It has useful tips for identifying dangers and staying safe, as well as a few personal accounts that make for great reading. I enjoyed this book and thought that also had some good material to inspire writing and gaming.
Neo
This was pretty well written with a good dose of humor. Some of the guidance seemed pretty helpful, and some not so. More importantly, I got a good sense of what sorts of urban exploration I could comfortably try. I also a got sense of what is generally involved and see that I probably don't have the time in my life to get a whole lot of practice or experience at it. I enjoyed reading the book just the same.
Oriana
May 02, 2013 Oriana marked it as to-read
Shelves: to-read-soon
The seminal urban-exploration text, apparently. Spawned the whole genre maybe? including this one, which I really want to read, and this one, which I just proofread.
Andrej Nechaj
Great! Really made me want to do some fun exploring around Brno again. I loved Ninj's black humor and all the spy and ninja references. I enjoyed it and laughed a lot but first of all, the tips and advices contained in the book are really useful. I am just really sorry that he passed away so young. :(
Scuppers
A first-hand account of urban exploration. The first night after I read this, I had a dream that I was recruited as an urban explorer, and had to go check out the city from a van. I think some grappling hooks were involved.
Alex
Mar 12, 2013 Alex marked it as to-read
This stuff fascinates me. There's a cool article about it here that cites this book as the Bible of urban hackers.
Andrew
Fun read about urban exploration. Casual writing for a casual subject, the author is listed as "Ninjalicious," so if you accept that the author wrote this book for fun you'll enjoy it.
P. Es
brilliant brilliant brilliiiaaaannt. author died recently. how to of urban high adventure. some of it's common sense to the curious. so much more dangerous post 9/11.
Katherine
I'm definitely writing a review of this (mostly liked it) but need to read through some issues of Infiltration zine to put it in better context. Stay tuned...
Jeremy
The father of contemporary urban exploration, Ninjalicious (RIP) shares his experiences and expertise through humour and wit.
Matt Skeels
A lot of information for newbies and the uneducated. A few nuggets of interest here and there. The best stuff is the stories.
Rachel Rillo
learned so much from this book and am already putting my new skill set to good use! i loved the tongue in cheek style as well!
Jessica
I love this book. I am excited about this book. I probably like this book far, far too well for my roommate's peace of mind.
Mick
deeply satisfying to the life-long trespasser in me.
Tereza Navarová
Tereza Navarová marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Lyn
Lyn marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Meaghan
Meaghan marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Erinma
Erinma marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
  • Hidden Cities: My Journey into the Secret World of Urban Exploration
  • Weird U.S.: Your Travel Guide to America's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets (Weird Travel Guides)
  • Ghostly Ruins: America's Forgotten Architecture
  • American Project: The Rise and Fall of a Modern Ghetto
  • Explore Everything: Place-Hacking The City From Tunnels To Skyscrapers
  • The Weather of the Pacific Northwest
  • EcoCities: Rebuilding Cities in Balance with Nature
  • Tunnel People
  • Knitting with Balls: A Hands-On Guide to Knitting for the Modern Man
  • The Riverkeepers: Two Activists Fight to Reclaim Our Environment as a Basic Human Right
  • Infrastructure: A Field Guide to the Industrial Landscape