Start by marking “Sam Walton: Made In America” as Want to Read:
Sam Walton: Made In America

Sam Walton: Made In America

4.07  ·  Rating Details ·  9,766 Ratings  ·  412 Reviews
Meet a genuine American folk hero cut from the homespun cloth of America's heartland: Sam Walton, who parlayed a single dime store in a hardscrabble cotton town into Wal-Mart, the largest retailer in the world.  The undisputed merchant king of the late twentieth century, Sam never lost the common touch.  Here, finally, inimitable words.  Genuinely modest, but always sure i ...more
Published May 6th 2003 by DoubleDay (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Sam Walton, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Patrick Peterson He only wrote this one book to explain his marvelous story of his life and success before he died. If Sam Walton wrote and spoke more, as Peter Thiel…moreHe only wrote this one book to explain his marvelous story of his life and success before he died. If Sam Walton wrote and spoke more, as Peter Thiel is doing now for his own ideas on business, to explain just how positive the WalMart story is, perhaps more people would understand and fewer would be so ignorant or vicious.(less)

Alyssa
Before opening, I thought the book was too long. In the first few chapters I was intruiged, and by the end I was completely absorbed. Sam is such a down to earth, good person. The book tells his story from the beginning of his first experience all the way. He covers SO much ground, but doesn't delve into business lingo or statistics or boring stories. I found that (as opposed to Henry Ford) I completely respected him. For example, he conferred with his wife and especially in the beginning he tol ...more
Lora
Hmm... I honestly don't know what I think about this book. There were some things about Sam Walton and his story that I loved: his enthusiasm, his drive, his sense of humor; and yet there were other things in the book or about his character that puzzled me. For example, the Wal-Mart culture that he repeatedly paints a picture of in the book sounds pretty phenomenal-- an environment of friendliness, down-home/small-town atmosphere, and creativity-- but I can't really say I've felt that vibe from ...more
Dillon
Jul 12, 2017 Dillon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sam Walton was definitely the O.G. of retail. As mentioned in Brad Stone's book about Amazon, there's no doubt that Jeff Bezos took a number of pages out of San Walton's playbook. I enjoyed reading about his journey, his hard work and customer-first mentality, and how Wal-Mart completely changed the face of retail. There wasn't a lot of personal detail here, it was more a biography of Wal-Mart, kind of like how Walter Isaacson's book was more a biography of Apple than of Steve Jobs. The tone of ...more
Patrick Peterson
Highly recommended!!!! My 14 yr. old son and I listened to the audio version and it was fantastic! There were incredibly few places where he went against any libertarian principles that I could tell. And his explaining the nitty-gritty of motivating people and trying to get them to be more comfortable with and thrive under constant change were just fantastic.

Of course he gives a wonderfully, folksy description of the history of his building Wal-Mart, with the help of many, many associates. Lots
Jason Navallo
Dec 02, 2014 Jason Navallo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book! It was great to learn from the man himself on how he built one of the world's largest and most powerful corporations, from scratch!

Liked it so much that I actually used it as a source in my book, Thrive: 30 Inspirational Rags-to-Riches Stories.
Tim Chavel
Being an employee at Wal-Mart now for almost three years I knew this is a book I wanted to read. I also enjoy reading books about companies especially if the author is the founder. Wal-Mart's story is a fantastic story of America's free enterprise. I will tell you that some of the things revealed in the book about employees were either not correct or they have changed through the years. I know for a fact that many have changed and I think Sam Walton would not be happy about some of the changes. ...more
Dan
Feb 26, 2015 Dan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Entrepreneurs, Start-ups, Business-minded individuals
Utilized Accelerated Reading Technique - as taught by Tai Lopez.

The story of Sam Walton, a man who could not sit still.

Take aways from this autobiography:
Understood the value of a dollar, grew up during the depression. Continued to be frugal through all his years. Made sure all his businesses also understood the value of a dollar. From an early age he worked multiple jobs, never stopped moving. He has an urge to win, to win at everything.

Sam built Walmart by copying. He didn't just merely copy
Tigran Mamikonian
Jun 18, 2013 Tigran Mamikonian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book of Sam Walton, founder of Wall-Mart, is classic biography book of very successfull businessman. This book and the one written by Hovard Shults from Starbuck's are treated to be MUST READ books for all retailers so that one understand what is success and how much it usually cost...

Would recommend to read this book to all business founders and owners. Here arethe ideas I really liked in the book:
1. Hands on approach to his business, down to each store, business unit - even if you are the
Mario Tomic
Jul 23, 2014 Mario Tomic rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those book that you have to have on your bookshelf. Sam Walton is a great example of a man with very strong values and principles, despite all of the success and failures Sam never sacrificed his core values. If I had to summarize the book into top 3 lessons this is what it would look like:
1. Be passionate about learning, Sam Walton learned so much from people around him, his co-workers and from all his competition and it was one of the key elements of his success.
2. Take action f
Alex Poovathingal
Jun 22, 2014 Alex Poovathingal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant tale of a startup which went on to become the largest company by revenue. The basic philosophies which Sam Walton brought into his retail and discount chains business has been a driving force behind this change. One of the most striking among them, I felt, was his lack of inhibitions to copy ideas. One of his favorite past times was to visit the stores of his competitors and figure out what works for them. Another was flying his plane around scouting for places to start new stores.

As
Jeff Suwak
May 29, 2015 Jeff Suwak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book. I would recommend this to anybody who wants to start their own business or reach for any big goal.

Forget about the politics of the company right now. To get too focused on that is to miss out on a book full of wisdom by an interesting, humble character.

There are lessons one can learn here about both business and life in general, and it's all written in a very simple style that flows easily and is a pleasure to read.

I really didn't know what to think when I picked up this book.
Cameron Smith
Dec 27, 2015 Cameron Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book about how Sam Walton started Wal-Mart and the various challenges they had in the early days.
André Bueno
May 10, 2014 André Bueno rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autobiography
One of the best business books I have been fortunate to read. The book was extremely hard to put down and the story told itself through Sam Walton's eyes. The inspiration and thrill of his journey can motivate anyone from his true account of constant and never ending improvement (kaizen).

CHAPTER NOTES:
Ch01: Learning to value the dollar
Hard work is the story behind Walmart
Overspending is the most common cause of corporate issues
Walmart is cheap and they stay on a restricted budget by controlling
Geeta
Mar 02, 2017 Geeta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful! Wish could give this book a 7 star rating (7 out of 5); it just would be incorrect mathematically ;-)
The old saying goes: a dying man never lies.
Mr. Sam Walton has done everyone a huge favor by writing this book, especially those in retail industry. He has been outright honest in admitting things that worked and did not work for his business. Pretty brave in expressing his views and venturing into areas where nobody would think of going - discounting in small towns with such a less po
Ali Qurbani
Sep 27, 2016 Ali Qurbani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: money
The
reason why I choose this book was I really appreciate what Sam Walton has done as a great
businessman and leader. He gets what he wanted out of life, and never lost in life by learning
from other people mistake. He was a learning machine, and humble enough to ask questions
every time he saw something new. He also made a really good family. So he can divide his
fortune among his children for tax purposes super smart decision in my opinion. And also he was
an awesome example of a great leader.
The
Kelly
Aug 05, 2014 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While not as captivating as some of the other bios I recently read, it was enjoyable and told a story of an incredible businessman who was otherwise quiet and non-self-promotional. I didn't know much about Sam Walton or how he built Wal-Mart, so I learned a lot here.

A few notes I took away:

* Exercising ego in public is not the way to build an effective organization
* No partnerships - too risky (Helen Robson Walton has bad past experiences with these)
* Bought 1st store at 27. Didn't know how t
Adam Wiggins
Jun 08, 2013 Adam Wiggins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sam Walton founded Walmart, and then ran the company as its CEO for about 30 years. This is his autobiography, recorded just before his death in 1991.

For context, Walmart is not only one of the biggest and most successful companies in the world, but it actually outpaces even today's hottest tech companies. Walmart's revenue last year was greater than Apple, Microsoft, and Google combined. Retail has much lower profit margins than software; but Walmart still earns more profit than Google and Micr
E
May 27, 2009 E rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wal-Mart’s iconic founder tells all (well, most)

Wal-Mart is not just a gigantic retail company. It is the ultimate retailing juggernaut, setting the bar for products, packaging and pricing, and demolishing its competitors. Given its staggering influence, some would say Wal-Mart has become the very embodiment of retailing. It is the world’s biggest private employer and its largest (by revenue) public corporation, with 2008 sales topping $400 billion. It has 4,264 stores in the U.S. and, with its
Rishi Prakash
This is an autobiographical account of Wal Mart's rise to the pinnacle of the American retail business, the personal reminiscences of the late billionaire retailer are combined with dozens of interviews with Sam Walton's family and friends which makes it really interesting.

This tells the story of the greatest retailer of all time which started post world war II. It is amazing to see how he approached his work which was his biggest passion in life. He started with a small Variety Store and went
TarasProkopyuk
Очень вдохновляющая книга, а самого Сэма Уолтона считаю одним из самых прекрасных предпринимателей. И даже не только за то, что но и его компания Wal-Mart не однократно возглавляли рейтинги таких журналов как Fortune. А скорее за профессионализм, упорство, целеустремленность и его необычный юмор.

Уолтон тот человек, который кажется именно из-тех, кто рождается предпринимателем, а не становится им. Хотя это может и не совсем так, но тем не менее история его жизни и его достижений в бизнесе захваты
Santhosh
Nov 19, 2011 Santhosh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written in an easy style, it's a first person account of how the world's largest retailer chain came to be. The book has interesting anecdotes and snippets from people who've known him, thrown in at the proper places. It's an account of an old world America, how things worked back then and the transition to the present state from the perspective of merchandise and retailing. The story of how hard work, common sense, and commitment can get you a long way. If The Google Story was the stuff of tech ...more
Monica Willyard
May 07, 2015 Monica Willyard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookshare
I like and respect this man. I'd like his willingness to experiment, the way he manages money, and the way he treats other people. Is he perfect? No! I don't need him to be. Having said that, I don't think the current management at Walmart is running things the way he would have. This is not how he behaved as he was building his original stores. Yes, he was competitive, and he was still concerned about the people around him.
Tyler Hochstetler
Apr 07, 2016 Tyler Hochstetler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jeff Bezos (Amazon) can't recommended this book high enough.. I've read it once... I'll read it again this month. Sam Walton exemplifies the qualities of an expert entrepreneur. He took Walmart from a small business, to what it became now. One of my favorite business books/memoirs. It's a must read.
Liz
Jun 30, 2008 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had to read this book when I worked as an intern at Walmart (my least favorite job ever!) The book was fine--I got to read it while working--which is why I rated it 3 stars! I think the title is funny--considering almost everything at Wally is not made in America.
Ankit Goyal
Dec 31, 2016 Ankit Goyal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished reading this amazing book! Knowing Sam Walton, his love for retail and a life dedicated towards improving Walmart has been an exhilarating experience. I consider myself fortunate to know a little bit more about this amazing individual with heroic capabilities!
Jose Amezcua
Dec 31, 2014 Jose Amezcua rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is one of the best books you can read. In this book you can learn some "universal" principles of success, like: Work hard, have mentors, learn of your mistakes, failure is a good thing, love your job, give value to the universe and break the rules !
Vanessa
Dec 10, 2014 Vanessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely an interesting insight into Sam Walton and his business practices. He sticks to very basic business principle to achieve his success, so there is nothing enlightening revealed in the book. It's just a good read
Alexander
Apr 09, 2015 Alexander rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great inspirational book. Sam Walton is an interesting character.
Hisham Alamoudi
Oct 05, 2011 Hisham Alamoudi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
كتاب يعلمك كيف أسس سام ولتون أكبر شركة في العالم بطرق بسيطة مذهلة
Papuna
Aug 15, 2015 Papuna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Genuine story of servant leader. It was big pleasure to look behind the curtains of world’s largest retailer. It looks like very open-hearted address towards the reader written by a man who was fighting multiple melanoma. At many spots in the book you can find different confessions of him before associates, family members or competitors. As before I want to go back and list down some of the passages from the book that I found catchy whether periphrased or literally cited:
- he learned from his fa
  • Grinding It Out: The Making of McDonald's
  • Jack: Straight from the Gut
  • Memos from the Chairman
  • Direct from Dell
  • Pour Your Heart Into It: How Starbucks Built a Company One Cup at a Time
  • The Republic of Tea: The Story of the Creation of a Business, as Told Through the Personal Letters of Its Founders
  • Only the Paranoid Survive
  • Bull: A History of the Boom and Bust, 1982-2004
  • Moments of Truth
  • Buffett: The Making of an American Capitalist
  • Who Says Elephants Can't Dance? Inside IBM's Historic Turnaround
  • Jump Start Your Business Brain: Scientific Ideas and Advice That Will Immediately Double Your Business Success Rate
  • Nuts!
Samuel Moore "Sam" Walton was an American businessman and entrepreneur born in Kingfisher, Oklahoma, best known for founding the retailers Walmart and Sam's Club.
More about Sam Walton...

“Sam Walton: I had to pick myself up and get on with it, do it all over again, only even better this time.” 7 likes
“What we guard against around here is people saying, ‘Let’s think about it.’ We make a decision. Then we act on it.” 4 likes