Sam Walton: Made In America

Sam Walton: Made In America

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  2,907 ratings  ·  153 reviews
Meet a genuine American folk hero cut from the homespun cloth of America's heartland: Sam Walton, who parlayed a single dime store in a hardscrabble cotton town into Wal-Mart, the largest retailer in the world.The undisputed merchant king of the late twentieth century, Sam never lost the common touch.Here, finally, inimitable words.Genuinely modest, but always sure if his...more
Published May 6th 2003 by DoubleDay (first published 1992)

Alyssa
Before opening, I thought the book was too long. In the first few chapters I was intruiged, and by the end I was completely absorbed. Sam is such a down to earth, good person. The book tells his story from the beginning of his first experience all the way. He covers SO much ground, but doesn't delve into business lingo or statistics or boring stories. I found that (as opposed to Henry Ford) I completely respected him. For example, he conferred with his wife and especially in the beginning he tol...more
Lora
Hmm... I honestly don't know what I think about this book. There were some things about Sam Walton and his story that I loved: his enthusiasm, his drive, his sense of humor; and yet there were other things in the book or about his character that puzzled me. For example, the Wal-Mart culture that he repeatedly paints a picture of in the book sounds pretty phenomenal-- an environment of friendliness, down-home/small-town atmosphere, and creativity-- but I can't really say I've felt that vibe from...more
Patrick Peterson
Highly recommended!!!! My 14 yr. old son and I listened to the audio version and it was fantastic! There were incredibly few places where he went against any libertarian principles that I could tell. And his explaining the nitty-gritty of motivating people and trying to get them to be more comfortable with and thrive under constant change were just fantastic.

Of course he gives a wonderfully, folksy description of the history of his building Wal-Mart, with the help of many, many associates. Lots...more
TarasProkopyuk
Очень вдохновляющая книга, а самого Сэма Уолтона считаю одним из самых прекрасных предпринимателей. И даже не только за то, что но и его компания Wal-Mart не однократно возглавляли рейтинги таких журналов как Fortune. А скорее за профессионализм, упорство, целеустремленность и его необычный юмор.

Уолтон тот человек, который кажется именно из-тех, кто рождается предпринимателем, а не становится им. Хотя это может и не совсем так, но тем не менее история его жизни и его достижений в бизнесе захваты...more
Tim Chavel
Being an employee at Wal-Mart now for almost three years I knew this is a book I wanted to read. I also enjoy reading books about companies especially if the author is the founder. Wal-Mart's story is a fantastic story of America's free enterprise. I will tell you that some of the things revealed in the book about employees were either not correct or they have changed through the years. I know for a fact that many have changed and I think Sam Walton would not be happy about some of the changes....more
getAbstract
Wal-Mart’s iconic founder tells all (well, most)

Wal-Mart is not just a gigantic retail company. It is the ultimate retailing juggernaut, setting the bar for products, packaging and pricing, and demolishing its competitors. Given its staggering influence, some would say Wal-Mart has become the very embodiment of retailing. It is the world’s biggest private employer and its largest (by revenue) public corporation, with 2008 sales topping $400 billion. It has 4,264 stores in the U.S. and, with its...more
Rishi Prakash
This is an autobiographical account of Wal Mart's rise to the pinnacle of the American retail business, the personal reminiscences of the late billionaire retailer are combined with dozens of interviews with Sam Walton's family and friends which makes it really interesting.

This tells the story of the greatest retailer of all time which started post world war II. It is amazing to see how he approached his work which was his biggest passion in life. He started with a small Variety Store and went...more
Jonathan Phares
spring of new ideas ". the book eight years ago and didn't care much for the writing style--written almost as if I was listening to speech. I also didn't apparently retain much of the content or message.

This time around, I still don't care much for the style, though I appreciate it more. But I read critically and absorbed a lot. There's a lot that people know or believe they know about Sam Walton. He talks about how he started the largest company in the world. He talks about working relentlessl...more
Nicholas Piva
Sam Walton was a great man in all the senses. Not many people could have done what he did, how he did. He had remarkable vitality concerning his business from the primordial stage to the end of his life.

He prided himself in his closeness with his employees (he calls associates), managers, and his competition. He studied innumerable different management theories and took something from each of them to make Walmart a truly unique corporation.

He was a hand-on type of guy, traveling to all the sto...more
Liz
I had to read this book when I worked as an intern at Walmart (my least favorite job ever!) The book was fine--I got to read it while working--which is why I rated it 3 stars! I think the title is funny--considering almost everything at Wally is not made in America.
Alex Poovathingal
A brilliant tale of a startup which went on to become the largest company by revenue. The basic philosophies which Sam Walton brought into his retail and discount chains business has been a driving force behind this change. One of the most striking among them, I felt, was his lack of inhibitions to copy ideas. One of his favorite past times was to visit the stores of his competitors and figure out what works for them. Another was flying his plane around scouting for places to start new stores.

As...more
Nick Gorski
I read this on a whim to follow The Everything Store. Jeff Bezos admired Sam Walton; he and Walmart were frequently mentioned in that book.

If you're in retail, have strong feelings about Walmart, or really enjoy folksy autobiographies, then I'd recommend it. If not, it's safe to pass on this one.

Walton is likable because of his genuineness. He's also very different from modern tech moguls: driven by intuition rather than data, resistant to adopting disruptive technologies (his lieutenants had to...more
Will Burns
Coming from outside the US, I know little about the Walmart story. I haven't even been in a Walmart store (unless you include ASDA in the UK, an acquisition of theirs).

What I found most engrossing was the story about how the discount retail business got started. I noted a lot of lessons that could be applied to any industry, especially the focus on the customer. I think most people will learn something about retail, pricing, customer-focus, manufacturing, supplier management and warehouses.

The...more
Hisham Alamoudi
كتاب يعلمك كيف أسس سام ولتون أكبر شركة في العالم بطرق بسيطة مذهلة
Bryce
It's not great writing, but the lessons about hard work, trying new ideas, and some luck can lead to amazing success. It also tells about how it is important to know when it is time to let go of tight control and how important it is to admit mistakes and move on instead of trying to cover them up.

I've always been somewhat of a fan of WalMart because I've been a student of business and they have done a lot of things right. I know there are plenty of stories about unpaid overtime and other things...more
Adam Wiggins
Sam Walton founded Walmart, and then ran the company as its CEO for about 30 years. This is his autobiography, recorded just before his death in 1991.

For context, Walmart is not only one of the biggest and most successful companies in the world, but it actually outpaces even today's hottest tech companies. Walmart's revenue last year was greater than Apple, Microsoft, and Google combined. Retail has much lower profit margins than software; but Walmart still earns more profit than Google and Micr...more
Tigran Mamikonian
The book of Sam Walton, founder of Wall-Mart, is classic biography book of very successfull businessman. This book and the one written by Hovard Shults from Starbuck's are treated to be MUST READ books for all retailers so that one understand what is success and how much it usually cost...

Would recommend to read this book to all business founders and owners. Here arethe ideas I really liked in the book:
1. Hands on approach to his business, down to each store, business unit - even if you are the...more
Nicholas
Johannah
This book is extremely interesting. It taught me really a lot about history of business (during the 50's I think)? and about how When Sam Walton came around, the time was ripe for this kind of business model. If Sam Walton had not "won" during the time he was building his discount chain some other business would now be doing probably close to the same thing with a name other than Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart and Sam Walton are a great story, a real tribute to the American spirit and ingenuity. i KNOW EVER...more
Dhiraj
I was reading this book with some doubt (considering some phobia for Walmart), but as I read along Sam caught my attention and I enjoyed reading it thoroughly. A strong believer of free enterprise and a person who loved what he did and having some very good rules on how an organization should be run. His prime focus on customers and associates is something that I really liked.
Liked the way the book is written, in simple English with excerpts from people interspersed along the way, it was an eas...more
Reagan Ramsey
this story was pretty much what i expected (small town guy with small town values rocks the playing field), but in some ways i was more impressed than i expected to be. in his entrepreneurial years, he was so creative in finding ways to increase his margins and lower costs...which ultimately led to his cutting out manufacturers reps for better or worse. but it was great to understand how he began as a store manager and ultimately became the retail icon he is today. it's unusual for a leader to b...more
Sam
I read this book as part of the research I'm doing into an early Walmart shareholder. It's a quick read and has some interesting stories about an important American company. Some of any autobiography is PR meant to combat negative perceptions, and that's definitely a part of this book. 2 stars is accurate - just okay and if the topic interests you, read it.
Lucybell
Sam Walton was one of my grandfather's best friends, so maybe my opinion is a little biased. My grandfather even named a chapter in this book, he talks about it almost every thanksgiving and family lunch. I've finally read this book now that I'm old enough to be interested in it, but I still began it a little reluctantly. But I'm glad I did.
Raj
This book contains a valuable example of how capitalism forces the evolution - for better or worse - of industries. Walton takes the reader from the days of the small-town five and dime all the way through the mega Wal Marts of today. It's a valuable read for anyone interested in business.

The business model he created is simple: always offer the lowest price possible, depending on higher volume to generate higher profit. The second pillar was to relentlessly pursue logistical superiority, in bot...more
Michelle
Sam Walton's book was much more pleasant to read than I thought it would be. Written in the years before his death, the book gives a brief history of Wal-Mart and also serves as an ode to Walton's self-made principles. I felt that a large part of the book was spent answering his critics — those who called him cheap and who thought Wal-Mart could have treated their employees better — and at times the book came off as defensive.

I grew up going to Wal-Mart (Wally World as my mom still calls it when...more
Larisha
been interested for a while about the life of the man behind the Wal-Mart empire. And the man who would've been the richest man in the world had he been alive today. This book was an enjoyable first hand account written by the man Sam Walton himself in his own words. With some comments from some of the key people in his life. I felt that I kind of got to know Mr.
This is a story about hard work, risks, entrepreneurship, and knowing where you want to go and being willing to do what it takes to ge...more
Enosonic
Being a Walmartian, this book has a little more impact on me. Sam Walton was a great man. His commitment to his customers helped him to grow to what Wal-Mart is now. His established culture continues. This book portrays Mr Sam well (according to what I have heard from 30+year associates). Good business stories, plenty of lessons to learn from.

If you are looking for a quick, good read for business this would be a good one.
Name Wendy
Really enjoyed this. I live in Northwest Arkansas and I am a loyal customer of Walmart. I also know lots of people who work for Walmart. I loved reading about the early days and how Sam stayed true to what he believed in. Our community is much better off in every way because of his achievements
Beverly
This book tells the life story and business philosophy of billionaire Sam Walton, founder of Wal-Mart. He is cut from the homespun cloth of America's heartland, who parlayed a single dime-store in a hardscrabble cotton town into the largest retailer in the world. Marginally interesting.
Asif
Sam Walton is the founder of Walmart and he tells the story of Walmart in this book. The book is undoubtedly one of the best books I read in my life. The book clearly proves how much hard work an organization has to do in order to become one of the best. So many things to learn from the book that can be applied in our jobs and also in our lives that I might as well list them down.

Some of the ones that comes to my head are

1. Work HARD.
2. Learn from your competitors.
3. Strive for excellence. Nev...more
  • Who Says Elephants Can't Dance?: Inside IBM's Historic Turnaround
  • Pour Your Heart Into It: How Starbucks Built a Company One Cup at a Time
  • Poor Charlie's Almanack: The Wit and Wisdom of Charles T. Munger
  • Buffett: The Making of an American Capitalist
  • Losing My Virginity: How I've Survived, Had Fun, and Made a Fortune Doing Business My Way
  • The Great Game of Business: Unlocking the Power and Profitability of Open-Book Management
  • Trump: The Art of the Deal
  • How to Become a Rainmaker: The Rules for Getting and Keeping Customers and Clients
  • Direct from Dell
  • It Happened In India: The Story of Pantaloons, Big Bazaar, Central and the Great Indian Consumer
Samuel Moore "Sam" Walton was an American businessman and entrepreneur born in Kingfisher, Oklahoma, best known for founding the retailers Walmart and Sam's Club.
More about Sam Walton...
Higher Than the Top Dfl Entrepreneurial wit & wisdom: Axioms for professional managers who want to manage as entrepreneurs

“Sam Walton: I had to pick myself up and get on with it, do it all over again, only even better this time.” 2 likes
“I believe that every right implies a responsibility; every opportunity an obligation; every possession a duty.” —JOHN D. ROCKEFELLER, JR.” 1 likes