Start by marking “Twenty Heartbeats” as Want to Read:
Twenty Heartbeats

Twenty Heartbeats

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  17 reviews
A SIMPLE STORY LAYERED WITH MEANING; stunning layered artwork by an acknowledged master.A wealthy Chinese man dreamt of a painting of his favorite horse. He sought out a man named Homan, known as a great painter of horses and commissioned the portrait. Then he waited…and waited…and waited. As the years passed, his hair grew gray, and he grew furious. What was taking so lon ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Twenty Heartbeats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twenty Heartbeats

In a Blue Room by Jim AverbeckWe are the Ship by Kadir NelsonWabi Sabi by Mark ReibsteinOld Bear by Kevin HenkesHow I Learned Geography by Uri Shulevitz
2009 Caldecott Contenders
25th out of 37 books — 91 voters
Wabi Sabi by Mark ReibsteinSeven Blind Mice by Ed YoungLon Po Po by Ed YoungMonkey King by Ed YoungMy Mei Mei by Ed Young
Best of Ed Young
6th out of 79 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Jim
6 star book

how is art created, where do inspiration and work meet?
Susan
0-7
In this original Chinese fable with an unassuming cover, a wealthy man commissions a painting of his beloved horse from a renowned artist, and consequently has to wait many years to see the result. The warm earth tones and rich reds, golds, oranges, and greens make for a beautiful color palate. The illustrations appear to be a collage of cut and ripped paper, resulting in an exquisite multi-dimensional layered effect. The art has such a beautiful, fibrous texture that begs to be touched, but
Allison
A man commissions a painting of his favorite horse from the most famous artist of the time. The artist takes forever, and the man gets impatient after many years of waiting. The artist paints the picture in front of him in 20 heartbeats- the same ammount of time is takes his beautiful horse to run and meet him from the field. The man is angry, but in the artists workroom he sees thousands of pictures of his horse, captured in every movement.

Simple, beautiful, and original. The pictures are gorge
Heidi
Exactly what I was looking for! It's fast-paced, beautiful pictures that aren't too "hard" to look at, a subject the children will connect to (horses and painting), and such a sweet ending with an amazing lesson if the children care to learn it. Some Gospel principles could be seen in this book, too. Wonderful to wrap up Book Time if I have the time. And a great possibility for my horse-loving niece as well!
Sam Bloom
Not my favorite Ed Young book, but really, how can you go wrong when this guy is illustrating? This time he's working with collages, and they are truly amazing. Haseley's story doesn't really excite me too much, quite honestly, but like a David Lynch movie where you don't know what in God's name is going on, this book is a feast for your eyes... who cares about the story?
Susanna S571
Stunning collage illustrations. I love all of Ed Young's work that I've seen. The story has nice messages about both patience and the artistic process. The illustrations were definitely the most compelling part for me. Probably best for kids up to 8 or 9.
Samantha
A man seeks out an artist to create a painting of his beloved horse. When the painting takes much longer than anticipated to finish the man learns a lesson in patience.

Collage artwork captures the beauty of the man's beloved animal.
Matthew
I didn't think I'd be as impressed with this book as I was, but wow! This was a really cool book. I loved it. Great lesson about patience, though I don't think I would want to wait for decades for a drawing of a horse.
Molly
I really love this illustration style but the book is just not a Molly book. I liked it ok but it is nothing that will really stay with me for a long time and I am not sure who I would suggest it too.
Ages 5+
Cecilia
I first heard this read aloud by a professor a couple weeks ago. As a writer, I can really relate to it, so I bought it.
Kari
I am a big fan of Ed Young's work, and Rory really liked this quiet story about an artist painting a portrait of a horse.
Rachel
Traditional/Classic style story of a painter trying to capture the nature of a horse. Very beautiful pictures
Chantel
From 2009 Mock Newbery list

A great book for art lovers, picture book lovers and horse lovers.
Molly
A beautifully illustrated tale concerning the quest for the perfect painting of the perfect horse.
Zonia
Beautifully illustrated story of a rich man, a patient artist, and a horse.
Sara
Good story, but not as pretty or as memorable as A Story For Bear.
Rhonda Walterfrojen
Lovely artwork.
Carlos
Carlos marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Lisaforabw Wiley
Lisaforabw Wiley marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Casey
Casey added it
Nov 27, 2014
Melissa Bittenbender
Melissa Bittenbender marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Jeanette
Jeanette marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Katie
Katie added it
Apr 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
A Story for Bear The Invisible Moose Pirate Who Tried to Capture the Moon The Skywriter Photographer Mole