Start by marking “Sloop of War (Richard Bolitho, #6)” as Want to Read:
Sloop of War (Richard Bolitho, #6)

Sloop of War (Richard Bolitho #6)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  790 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Alexander Kent is the pseudonym of Douglas Reeman, a contemporary British writer. Reeman joined the British Navy at 16 and served on destroyers and small crafts during World War II, eventually rising to lieutenant. He later worked as a London detective and has served as a script advisor for television and film. He travels extensively, scouting locations for his books.

Drawi

Published September 1st 1982 by Jove (first published November 30th 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Sloop of War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sloop of War

theduckthief
"Like a raked black finger the sloops long jib-boom swept out and over his head, and for a few more moments he stared up at the figurehead below the bowsprit. A man-size sparrow, beak wide in fury and wings spread as if to fight, its curved claws firmly gripping a gilded cluster of oak leaves and acorns. Bolitho watched until the boat had moved around and under the starboard cathead. He had never thought a mere sparrow could be depicted as being so warlike."

It's 1778 and Richard Bolitho has just...more
Stuart
Said by GoodReads to be the 6th of the Bolitho series, this one is described as the fourth by the cover of the copy I read (US McBooks Trade Paperback). However, it was a good read either way.

The book starts in 1778, just after the previous book left off. The American War of Independence is still in progress. It describes Bolitho’s promotion from a lieutenant in a ship of the line to commanding the titular Sloop-of-War Sparrow. Luck plays its part in promotions, a point made by the author a few...more
Writerlibrarian
Well, this one did not disappoint. As good as "In Gallant Company" it picks up right where Gallant left off. We follow Bolitho into his first command and how he falls in love with his "Sparrow" his sloop of war. I started this one around 3 am this morning because of a rogue cricket that decided to sing next to my window. Woke me up and I couldn't get back to sleep. So I pick up the next book in my to read pile and it was the next Bolitho novel. It kept my mind off the cricket and completely enth...more
Rafa Sánchez
Si bien el estilo de Kent es bastante ligero y prima la acción sobre la reflexión o la descripción detallada (en comparación con O'Brian), en esta novela vemos al personaje principal evolucionando como persona al tener que tomar por primera vez la responsabilidad de dirigir un grupo de personas y hacerse merecedor de su respeto. Además la acción transcurre en 1781 durante la Revolución Americana, de la que nunca había pensado que habia sido una auténtica guerra civil, lo que añade un trasfondo h...more
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in May 2000.

This early Richard Bolitho novel covers his actions during the American War of Independence, which coincides with his first independent command. In this tale of general military incompetence by the army command, Bolitho of course shows his own brilliance. This is frequently at the expense of his superiors, as is commonplace in this type of novel, and in this case he shows such obvious superiority that a higher ranking officer perjures himself at h...more
Relstuart
A good read. I picked this up Saturday after a soccer game and it kept me awake. It was odd when it skipped a couple years from one chapter to another (I checked to see if their were pages missing but they were all there). The story is very remincent of the Horatio Hornblower (HH) stories though during the Revolutionary War period (American) and they take place off the coast of America from a British standpoint. Worth the read and I will be glad to read more by the same author as I run across th...more
Stefan
Sloop Of War was awash in the nautical action and battle sequences that making reading Alexander Kent’s Bolitho Series so much fun. The excitement never flags in the novel which describes Bolitho’s first command (of a sloop) during the American Revolution off the Eastern coast of the United States. Kent does a good job at developing Bolitho’s character as he gains experience commanding his commission. As always, Kent does a splendid job at describing life aboard an age-of-sail naval vessel.
George
Novel covers the three year period from 1778 to January, 1782 as twenty-two year old Richard Bolitho taking command of the sloop SPARROW. It is first command and the novel covers his exploits as he grows into being in command of his ship as well the final years of the American Revolution serving as the background.

Like the previous novels in the series, it is an exciting read as the author chronicles the rise of Bolitho and his exploits in the British navy with his first command.
Frank
I really liked it!
Will
Another superb book in the Bolitho series! This just keeps getting better and better. I think what what I like the most about these books are the characters; Bolitho is a very likeable, humane man, the kind guy you want at your back. His American 1st officer, Tyrell, is a sad, slightly torn (as a loyalist he has to fight other Americans in the service of the king), but also very likeable. The battle scenes have, as always, few equals in the realm of nautical fiction.
Sean
It's entertainment, pure and simple, along the lines of 'Master and Commander', and 'Horatio Hornblower'.

I have sailed square-riggers before, so I picked up this book. It's a good read. Might be a bit complex for people that don't understand specific names for parts of a tall ship, or what certain orders mean, but if you can read past that, you'll be ok. I liked it, and it only took me a few days to read.
Terree
Not as wonderful as O'Brian but still but still quite good. Interesting characterization and excellent dialog. Much adventure and descriptive sea battles. I spent several hot summer afternoons enjoying this tale. I highly recommend it.
Dawn
Bolitho is a clever and innovative officer. I appreciate the lack of romantic entanglements, I wouldn't want that in every series but I'm really enjoying the fact that this series is all about the naval service.
Megargee
Douglas Reeman writing as Alexander Kent is not up to the level of the late Patrick O'Brian, but Bolitho will have to do now that I have completed the 20 volume Master and Commander series.
Pete
i like the Patrick O'brien series, but honestly the Bolitho series has more action, so they draw me in more. I also very much enjoy the Julian Stockwin "Kydd" series.
Sqyire21
Another very good book in the seires. I continue to read these in 48 hours or so (working 13 hours a day) and continue to enjoy the series.
Richard Farnsworth
The Bolitho series is one my favorite military history tales ever. Kent (Reeman)does an excellent job bringing the past alive.
Daniel
Great read for any historical fiction fan. The writing itself, aside from the story, is actually good too.
Roger
Good but still not as good as CS Forester's Hornblower. Main character is just too good - not enough flaws.
Topher
Bolitho finally gets a ship of his own.

I like this series. There are no vampires in it.
Frank
This is a great escape if you like Historical based fiction and ships of war
Mary
I loved these. It was unexpected but there we go, fun page-turners.
Margareth8537
Good to come across another series like Hornblower
Magda Kossakowska
Magda Kossakowska marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
  • Ramage & the Drumbeat (The Lord Ramage Novels, #2)
  • Artemis (Kydd Sea Adventures, #2)
  • The Gun Ketch (Alan Lewrie, #5)
  • A Battle Won (Charles Hayden, #2)
  • Lord Hornblower (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order #10)
  • Sharpe's Battle (Sharpe, #12)
  • The Life and Times of Horatio Hornblower: A Biography of C. S. Forester's Famous Naval Hero
  • Sails on the Horizon: A Novel of the Napoleonic Wars
Midshipman Bolitho (Richard Bolitho, #1-2) Stand into Danger (Richard Bolitho, #4) In Gallant Company (Richard Bolitho, #5) To Glory We Steer (Richard Bolitho, #7) Command a King's Ship (Richard Bolitho, #8)